Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #1  
Started IP 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 290/187/110

Height: 5'1"

Smile Newbie With Questions

Hi all! I met with my coach today and got my starter kit!I need to lose over 150 lbs, and am hoping to at least be down by half in time for my cousin's wedding in July.I have a couple of questions though.First off, when are you supposed to eat the restricteds? My coach said for a snack I should have one of the drinks, but then when would I eat the restricted snacks?Also, do I have to eat my meals in order?I have a weird sleep schedule and have breakfast between 1-4 pm, dinner between 6-10 pm, and then lunch at around 5 am.lol.Can I still keep this schedule while doing the diet?(I know, I'm really weird!)Thanks for any advice you can give!😊
cmk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to the program.

You may find that you get some of the best discussions and post activity when posting in the daily thread or Home of the 100% thread. It is where most of us hang on a regular basis.

I eat the restricted most of the time as my snack. I have my snack in the middle of the afternoon rather than evening. On the weekends though I may have it for breakfast or lunch too. It doesn't make a big difference to me when I have it and consistently lose weight either way.

In terms of meal schedule, yes that is a strange schedule but you can make it work with IP still. I have sometimes had to switch my breakfast or lunch with dinner depending on work schedules or travelling. Another option is to still your dinner protein over a couple meals. I sometimes have part of my protein at lunch and then I have an IP packet for an extra snack.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #3  
Started IP 11/28/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk79 View Post
Hi all! I met with my coach today and got my starter kit!I need to lose over 150 lbs, and am hoping to at least be down by half in time for my cousin's wedding in July.I have a couple of questions though.First off, when are you supposed to eat the restricteds? My coach said for a snack I should have one of the drinks, but then when would I eat the restricted snacks?Also, do I have to eat my meals in order?I have a weird sleep schedule and have breakfast between 1-4 pm, dinner between 6-10 pm, and then lunch at around 5 am.lol.Can I still keep this schedule while doing the diet?(I know, I'm really weird!)Thanks for any advice you can give!😊
Hello and welcome to this very supportive group.

I think it's great to have a goal; however I tend to shy away from saying "I'd like to be x weight by x date" because it sets me up for failure if I don't make it and it makes me feel awful about myself. I certainly didn't say when I gained weight that I would like to have gained x lbs by x date so I can't expect to say it in reverse. Just know that if you stay on plan (OP) 100% you will lose weight consistently and eventually get to your goal weight and your weight at the wedding will be less than you are today. Celebrate the journey getting there.

As for the time of day to eat restricted foods - I eat mine either for breakfast or lunch only because I'd rather have the majority of my carbs earlier in the day rather than later. This is my schedule:

Breakfast: 7:00-8:00 am
Lunch: 11:00-12:00
Dinner: 5:00-6:00
Snack 7:30-8:30 (My snack is lighter unrestricted and typically a Ready Made drink)

There's a wealth of knowledge on these boards and very kind people willing to help.
amberjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #4  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

I agree with trying to have your restricted item earlier in your day. Try to avoid having it right before your bedtime (whatever time that may be for you!)
Welcome and You can do this.
Post your WI (weigh-in) loss on the daily thread. Everyone would love to hear how your 1st WI goes. Also, best place to ask questions and get quick responses! Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #5  
Started IP 2/8/2013

Thanks for all the advice!But I'm still confused about the restricteds.Do you need to have one every day or can I have one one day and not the next?
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #6  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

You don't have to have one everyday if you would rather have a non-restricted packet. I find that I prefer to have one daily as it is more satisfying for me than the non-restricted. There are very few days over the last year I haven't had one.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #7  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice!But I'm still confused about the restricteds.Do you need to have one every day or can I have one one day and not the next?
You are not required to eat restricteds. For the first couple months I never ate one. I added them in after that for a little variety; however, I still don't eat them on a daily basis.

The only rule you need to remember about restricteds is that you can not eat more than 1 a day, and double-restricteds (e.g., spaghetti) can't be eaten more that 2x/week.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #8  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
You do not NEED to eat a restricted. I'm diabetic, and I cannot eat the restricted items because it raises my blood sugars. On the other hand, if I go to the movies with the family, I'll sneak one in and have a "treat". At any rate, my coach was initially worried I'd feel too hungry if I skipped the higher calorie/carb meal, but I have not had an issue, and instead add a couple oz of protein a day instead. It's healthier for my body.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #9  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Welcome to the forums and to IP!

You can make this work for your schedule as long as you get all of the food in.
I usually have one restricted each day, although once in a while I'll have a non-restricted pudding or drink for my snack, depending on how I feel. I've also eaten my restricted in the evening, if I haven't been able to get it in before then. All has been fine with my weight loss. If you're in for the long haul, you can make it work for you and keep yourself happy and satisfied.

Yes, check the daily thread and the 100% thread often. There's always someone around to answer your questions!

Best of luck!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
As was mentioned, you don't HAVE to have a restricted - but unless you are insulin resistant, or notice that you have a negative effect when you have them, they are there for good reason. The average person will not see a benefit from skipping the restricted, and some have even reported that their losses slowed when they eliminated them.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #11  
Started IP 2/8/2013

Ok, thank you!I didn't realize it was so complicated!lol
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Ok, thank you!I didn't realize it was so complicated!lol
It's not too bad - just make sure every day you have:
3 packets
4 cups of veggies
8oz real meat protein
2 tsp olive or grapeseed oil
salt
LOTS AND LOTS of water

How you split it up matters a lot less than getting it all in every day.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
It's not too bad - just make sure every day you have:
3 packets
4 cups of veggies
8oz real meat protein
2 tsp olive or grapeseed oil
salt
LOTS AND LOTS of water

How you split it up matters a lot less than getting it all in every day.
Spot on, just adding that lettuce, while optional, is unlimited. It's great to help keep you "regular" and is awesome if you're hungry!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #14  
Started IP 2/8/2013

Ok, thanks.But what if I'm full and can't eat all 4 cups of veggies and all 8 oz of meat?Can I just eat as much as I can until I'm full?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 247/239/170

You can always spread out the veggies during the day if you can not finish them with a meal like have them as snacks if you get hungry. Or spread out your protein and have some with lunch if you cant finish 8oz of protein with supper. You really should be getting in the full 4 cups of veggies and all your protein in.
AmberMae is offline   Reply With Quote