Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/272/160

Default Hydration

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. My clinic uses the machine that you hold out in front of you while it measures hydration (and other things). Anyway, my hydration started in the 20's and has gone up with each appointment. I have been doing IP for 1 month. Tonight the hydration reading was 70!! My coach said the normal is -5 to 5. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have been 100% OP. I use a little sea salt on my salad each day. Please help! I'm starting to get worried.
TWaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 276/212.4/160

Height: 5'7

I get that done too.....could be either not enough sea salt or your actually drinking too much water...yes..too much water! If you take in too much water your kidneys get sort of "flooded" and have to work really hard to rid your body of the excess fluid......typically people consume about 2 litres or about 80-100 ounces before it can become "too much"...how much liquids are you consuming....are you getting your full teaspoon of sea salts a day?
wendywendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #3  

I am drinking 64 oz. of water a day (which is what I have been doing from the beginning). For the sea salt, I dump some in my palm and sprinkle it on my salad daily and use some on brocolli with dinner once in a while.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 276/212.4/160

Height: 5'7

You should speak to your coach for direction...if she is doing the bmi testing then she should be educated in assisting clients to balance out their hydration levels.....maybe your retaining a lot of fluid just from the weight....could be several reasons but she should be able to help you..... being new to the program i would suggest that you should measure the salts at first..you'll be surprised at just how much a teaspoon actually is......good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.
wendywendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5  

Thanks. My coach didn't have any answers. She is supposed to have the director call me. I will update when I hear from her.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 283/268/150

Height: 5'6

Wow - that hydration rate is high. I wonder if their machine is accurate. I use the machine as well and my hydration rate went up to 27 this past week (4th week)...and it started at 23. My coach said as I lose more weight, it will go down.
SweetShe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #7  
IP start date 2/4/13

Height: 5'10"

A lot of this could be influenced by estrogen dominance as well. These product contain soy and your body might not responding well to it.

Maybe try switching over to some of the gluten free meals instead?
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #8  

Interesting thought SFNinerGirl. Maybe that is it. I will talk with my coach about it when she calls. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I have a scale at home that measures my hydration and I know it's always low but I thought it was 30% or something -- will go back and check. But in my mind, it meant I had only30% of the water I should have and should have 70% more to be 100% hydrated LOL..... Maybe I'm reading it wrong too....

To me, it seems that unless you are chugging gallons of water, it doesn't make sense that you have too much. I always thought people were dehydrated in general as a society.
I'm not commenting either way -- because I don't know the answer -- but unless you feel ill, I'd say keep drinking the water as your 64oz shouldn't be too much. I heard that you should be drinking half your weight in oz of water -- so I should be drinking 100 oz a day. (Not sure if that was on a Dr. Oz, or from my coach but I remember it was a "reputable" source)

I'll check back to this post as I'm interested in what you end up finding out. Please let us know what "the people" say when they get back to you
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #10  
IP start: 21 October 2012

S/C/G: 190.6/135.4/140

Height: 5'6"

Ask your coach to check the reference range for body water (BW) % again. The -5 to 5 range doesn't make any sense. Normal BW % can range anywhere from 29 - 70% depending on your body fat %. When you started IP with a BW of 20% you were probably somewhat dehydrated (very common as most people don't drink enough water and drink too much caffeine). At 70 % it seems like you are well hydrated, maybe a little over-hydrated. However, it's important to note that the handheld monitors can be very inaccurate and the results can be confounded by many factors (e.g., time of day the measurement is taken, how recently you drank water or a caffeinated beverage (and how much) in relation to taking the measurements, where (if female) you are in your cycle, and even how dry your skin is!).

Are you bloated, puffy eyes, ankles, hands and feet? Have you had problems in the past with water retention? Do you take a diuretic??
What was your body fat % at your last WI? What about your lean muscle mass? Did you lose weight that week, lose inches?? BW % is only 1 number, and I'm surprised that your coach would fixate on it. There are so many other factors involved.
pocahontas812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNinerGirl View Post
A lot of this could be influenced by estrogen dominance as well. These product contain soy and your body might not responding well to it.

Maybe try switching over to some of the gluten free meals instead?
Gluten-free wouldn't get the soy out. You'd have to read the label for soy. I have a list at home of soy-free IP items. It is a VERY short list.
I cut out both gluten and soy when I developed hypothyroid while on IP.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #12  

The director called me back. Apparently their machine malfunctioned! Thank goodness. I was beginning to think I was going to turn into a big water balloon!!