Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #1  

Exclamation Not So Successful WLS

As of next month, it will have been two years since I had my surgery. I lost about 130 pounds but within the last four to five months have gained about 50. I started out at 400 pounds so if you do the math, you'll see I never got to my goal weight and am now even further away from it.

I thought WLS was THE answer. I never thought I'd have to ever look at diets, weight loss support groups or anything related to the two again. I thought I had found my solution. I guess I didn't.

I'm fighting a fierce battle with depression and truly want to lose the remainder of the weight. I've been overweight my entire life so I've never known what it's like to be at a "normal" weight.

I'm searching for people who are not only in my boat, but are willing to be a support buddy. Have you ever heard the phrase "hitting rock bottom"? Well I have.

Thank you very much for any support or input.

Old 05-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

what's going on here, traci? what does your doctor say? are you thinking of going back to the high protein almost no carb post op diet?

do you have any idea why this didn't work for you?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:17 PM   #3  

I have visited my doctor. He doesn't know what's going on. He even had me go in for an upper endoscopy to see if my esophogus was stretching...it isn't. Ironically, I've never vomited and nothing makes me sick. It's been that way since day one. I know I'm over the "honeymoom" period. As far as going back to the high protein/no carb plan, I'm looking over the various types to see which one is the most healthy. It looks like I'll have to do that for the rest of my life. I have this strange feeling that I'm even more carb sensitive than I was in the past. However, that's just my theory.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #4  

Traci? How can we help you?

I am still pre op but maybe the gals that are post op would be willing to post their menus on a daily basis.

Do you have an after surgery support group that you can go to?

Can you go back to the pouch rules or guidelines given to you for about 6 to 8 months out or perhaps a time frame for you that you were really working your wls program?

Keep writing and posting Traci, maybe we can help you work through your "stuff" and help you get back to the losing side.

all the best,
peach
Old 05-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #5  

Thank you for your reply. I can eat more than I did right after the operation. I can't eat as much before the surgery. That doesn't make sense to me because I'm taking in less food than I did pre-op. Oh well.

Yes, I do attend a "veteran's" support group for people who are more than one year post-op. Some of us are in the same boat. Only a couple have reached goal.

I'd like to hear from people who have tried an Atkins approach. I'm concerned about that because I've heard that the moment you return to carbs you regain the weight. His philosophy does have some merit though. OA supports the "nothing white" diet. That kills the refined carbs. While I think I can abstain from them, doing it is another story.

My doctor said he would reopen the unsuccessful patients he has (for a fee, of course). I don't want to do that because as we age, our intestines absorb less and less nutrients. Obviously, the less intestines you have, the less they can absorb. Maybe the fact is that I have to completely refrain from "unhealthy" food like a person who is allergic to peanuts has to remove them from his/her life. I thought the surgery would help prevent this but I guess not.

I want to include that I don't regret the surgery and don't want anybody to be discouraged. But learn from my lessons. I will admit that I didn't "stick to the program" as much as I should have (remember, I didn't have the side effects) and when they say you only have a 12-18 month "window of opportunity," they mean it.

I joined this group for support and I'm looking forward to receiving AND giving it.

Traci

Old 05-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #6  

There definitely is no magic bullet and we do have to learn to eat healthy and leave the junk alone. We want to support you in your efforts, please keep posting and let us know what we can do for you.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:50 PM   #7  

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the responses I've received so far.

Traci
Old 05-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

TRACI... i went to a support group for longer-term postops this week and the nutritionist was there. her message: if you're more than 6 months post op, you need 4 servings of multigrain, low glycemic index carbs, like pumpernickel bread or brown rice or whole wheat pasta or multigrain crackers.

she said that we will always need higher protein levels, like 40% of our diet, and our carbs should be 50%, which is lower than the standard pyramid diet.

she said that we need the carbs to mobilize the energy in the cells and keep the weight loss going.

truthfully, i and some of the others in teh group are skeptical. the docs keep telling us that if we're not losing or we find ourselves gaining that we should restrict the carbs.

i don't have any answers... but i did have a 3-carb day yesterday, and i was hungrier than usual.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:46 AM   #9  

I'm a little skeptical about the carbs thing as well. There has to be a more important role when it comes to them, then we realize. Like you, the more I eat when it comes to carbs, the hungrier I get.

While I don't fully concur with Atkins approach, I believe abstinence may be the key. I'm also beginning to realize the emotional ties to food. Sure, I've had them in the past but never realized the stronghold they had until I lost that much weight and am now gaining it back. In my entire life, I had never lost that amount of weight.

I teach and I must therefore bring into my life the little train that could's motto: "I think I can, I think I can, I KNOW I can..." LOL

Old 05-17-2003, 09:50 PM   #10  

Welcome Traci,
I am not yet on the OTHER SIDE ... but I hear your struggles..... which i have fought myself all my life.
I was wondering if you are doing any type of excercise? I think that is something we all need to be doing in order to help the weight come off and help us tone along the way. I am presently doing water classes... more of a therapy type right now. But I know it is helping me as far as being mobil. I am to the point right now i can not shop, or stand more then 5 minutes with out pain in my lower back. But in the water... i can stand forever!! I spend sometimes 2 hours in there... walking... doing jumping jacks... cross country ski..... the stair step....... arms....... just keep my self moving ! I have been doing this since Jan. at first 3 times a week now I am up to 5 days a week. It is a big part of my day ! I look forward to that....... especially the part of being painless!
I am here for you if you need someone to listen... like i said.. i have yet to have the surgury.... looks like i have a couple more months wait. But i do know where u are coming from !! I am slightly over 400 pounds now ! Biggest ever.... but I do know better days are ahead. !
Keep the faith !
Cindy
Old 05-21-2003, 04:10 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally posted by Traci
I'd like to hear from people who have tried an Atkins approach. I'm concerned about that because I've heard that the moment you return to carbs you regain the weight.
Hi, I have been on Atkins since July 2002. My starting weight was 273 and I am now at 215, a 58 lb. loss in 10 months. I limit my carb intake to <30 grams per day. I try to keep my ratios at 65% fat, 30% protein, and 5% carbs. I have Type 2 diabetes, and was able to stop my daily 2000 mg dose of Glucophage after the first week of low-carbing. I had severe GERD, which has disappeared. I have nothad heartburn or "battery acid " in my throat for 10 months. I was recently diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, probably caused by the GERD. I also have PCOS.

Like any eating plan, if you go back to your old way of eating, the weight will come back. This is true for Jenny Craing, Weight Watchers, Diet Workshop, Atkins, The Zone, etc. What I like is that I am learning how to eat whole foods that make me feel better. Yes, I miss french fries, Big Macs and chocolate shakes, but they are poison to me. Actually, they are like heroin to me, because I was addicted. Also note that you don't need to use any of the pre-packaged foods, those are just money-makers for a lare corporation. Whole foods are the way to go.

I originally considered WLS, but to be honest it scared me. For me, Low-carbing was a better option. I wish you all great success.

Edited to add: on Atkins, you use different levels of carb consumption during different phases. When I have attained my goal weight, I will have worked up to a higher carb intake level. Still nowhere near my pre-LC days, but certainly flexible enough to not feel deprived. And I DON'T feel deprived now at <30 grams
Old 05-21-2003, 05:17 PM   #12  

I keep thinking it's the carbs. I bought the new book "Curves" and noticed they have a "test" for carb sensitivity. I haven't looked at in in depth but I feel it has to be that. It's funny. I love protein. I always have. It wasn't until I figured out that I really need to cut out the carbs in a major way that I realized I really, really, really, like carbs. Right now is a very stressful time because it's the end of the school year. I have the summer off and, even though it reminds me of all the summer dieting I did while growing up, I'm going to begin something on a more stringent level. I have no choice. My metabolism probably crawls and I can't walk on my treadmill like I used to (I fell last summer...I believe this may be what started me on the weight gain ride).

Thank you for responding. I really appreciate all of the responses I've received thus far.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #13  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Traci,

I've posted on here before about my experiences..I had my surgery done in 1981...before it was approved by the AMA...I worked beautifully...no problems...did throw up....my hernia went back where it was supposed to be (actually everyone has a hiatal hernia, and when we're overweight, it comes up to bother us...when we lose..it goes back where it's supposed to be)
I lost 123lbs...kept it off for 5 yrs...back in those days, there was NO SUPPORT...of ANY KIND!!! I eventually gained almost every pound back...BUT....if I knew that I would have the same luck as before, I would lay right down here now and let it be done!
My niece had it done a yr ago and has lost over 100lbs and is still doind quite well..
My suggestion to you would be...find another Dr to access the problem...sometimes this helps...another can find the problem when the original can't..DON'T GIVE UP!!!

BOB
Old 05-24-2003, 04:17 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

BOB>>>> great to see you!!! How have you been??? what's doin???? don't you love us anymore?????
Old 05-26-2003, 02:19 PM   #15  
New Mommy!!

Traci,
I am so sorry... I bet the frustration is awful.

I am 2 yrs post op and have lost 270 lbs. I was 466 when I had surgery.

Have you kept an "Honest" food diary?? Thy this for a few weeks and look for patterns in what you eat.
Too much Carbs, sweets, what ever

Water.... up your water intake. I drink 96 oz a day.

Are you drinking Carbonated Beverages? Even Diet ones??
Stay away from them even the diet ones. Carbonated Beverage can cause you to gain weight. I have spoke to people who are 5 to 10 years post op. The ones who succeed are the ones who gave up Sodas. The carbonation will mess with your stomach.

Exercise are you doing 20 minutes 3-4 times a week?? Water aerobics are a great form of exercise. I joined the YMCA 8 weeks post op and I started with water aerobics. I just did this for a yr then once I lost enough weight to use the weight machines and EFX machines I took the 9 week training program and worked with a fitness coach to develop a workout routine for me. I go to the gym atleast 4 days a week.

Keep your chin up and work with your Doctor to fine a solution.
What type of weight loss surgery did you have? RNY or banding?

Derby

Closed Thread