Exercise! - Feet first FEBRUARY RUNNING

View Full Version : Feet first FEBRUARY RUNNING

lm3898
02-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Sorry couldn't think of a better February title lol. Well...superbowl is over - who is burning off those wings this week? I was sick since Friday but definitely hoping/planning to get 5+ miles in tonight or tomorrow during my road to recovery.

CherryPie99
02-04-2013, 09:34 AM
lm, February is the month of love - you could have gone with Falling in love with running! But feet first is fine with me LOL

Got 9 long miles banged out on the treadmill yesterday in anticipation of my Superbowl feast! Both my legs and my stomach are now paying for yesterday!!!

Goddess Jessica
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
I did such a wonderful 5.5 mile run on Saturday. It was the first time I ran with a friend. She's much thinner than I am but our pace was very similar. Just her presence pushed me when I needed it and I pushed her to keep going when she said she would have stopped if she was running alone. I think I am going to have to make a habit of running with her on the weekends!

Also, we did trail running and I am discovering more and more that's what I like to do. My friend said I should never run trails alone (for safety reasons... not injury but that as a woman I shouldn't). I never even considered it being an issue. What about the rest of you? If you run outside do you pick routes that are either populated or do you always run with someone?

Chubbygirl253
02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm sick right now but I'll catch up when I get over this virus.

I luv trails and parks but I dont go alone. I've thought about getting pepper spray so I can feel safe to enjoy runs solo.

angiemama
02-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Do you ladies mind if I join you? I'm training for my first half marathon in August and would love the support:)

devadiva
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Sitting in a hotel 6 hr from home waiting to pick up my Baby,( Great Pyrenees) he weighs 155 and had something simmlar to a knee replacement,some one has to be with him at all times for next couple month and keep him in small space and down......he is wild..no running for awhile.For either us.

CherryPie99
02-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Gayle! Sending healing thoughts to your Pyrenees boy! Good luck keeping him calm - I tried that with my Boxer boy and the second day home he leaped a barbed wire fence and tore his incision open!!

Ran 6 at lunch today. It was freaking COLD - 15 degrees - but the sun was shining so it felt GOOD! Except my feet are now burning again...sigh...

At least neither IT band gave so much as a wimper!

lm3898
02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Aww Deva - lots of good vibes going your way!

Welcome Angie & Laura!

5.5 miles last night - stupid neuroma bothers me now with or without the alcohol shots...after my next half on 3/2 I'm going to get foot surgery I think - it's only 1 week recovery I'm told - the procedure is called neuroablation. That would be enough time before the next half I feel...still deciding on everything.

angiemama
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
thanks lm! I hope your surgery goes well if you have it- I would be so nervous about anything like that.

Did 1.81 today- working my way up to 2 in 30minutes- then trying to shave off to 12 minute miles for the big race.
I never thought I would LOVE running this much. I've been on it for three weeks now- doing the 10k trainer plan and it's going so well. I never thought of myself as the "runner" type, but that stuff is all mental. We are all athletes just waiting to come out right? :)

Chubbygirl253
02-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Went for a jog for the first time since catching this cold. It was more wogging than jogging because I walked half. Only made it 2 miles so I'll try again tomorrow.

devadiva
02-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Everyone run a mile for me I am jonesin for it! Have my baby home trying to keep him down and quite FULL time job! And I mean every min thank goodness for meds. We had to drive 80 miles rt to have bandages changed yesterday,he wet the bed,we thought his bandage was wet from that...was seepage.We all slept last night I think it was cause we were wiped out! We have to lift his rear end up to take him out to go potty....he weighs 155.......not easy!
Today I go to work hubby is doing a split shift and will be back soon and I will go to work.Life is not the same!

lm3898
02-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Does vertical running count?? LOL - Did the NYC Empire State Building Run Up Challenge last night!! Ran up 87 flights of stairs in just over 20 minutes!!! LOTS OF FUN...once you're finished haha. Amazingly my legs feel fine today - all that hill running.

angiemama
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
chubbygirl I ADORE your wedding dress photo- it's beautiful!
LM_ go you! Amazing accomplishment! 20 minutes is a great time too!

I'm off to do 2 miles today- Working my way up to 3 soon.

butterflyphreek
02-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Did 2.5 miles today! trying to work my way up to 3, but am having some trouble again with shin splints and today my hips are hurting :( but no matter, I am pushing through!!

devadiva
02-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Was able to get a quick run in 3.5,might get a chance today.Feels good not sure if I will be able to attend the 1/2 Mary in late April will depend on how my boy is doing,and if I can get a few more days a week running in and long runs........

devadiva
02-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Snuck another 3.5 run in,that might be it till next weekend,thankful to have a few min away from care taking to run at all!

angiemama
02-10-2013, 10:34 PM
1.84 today- closer and closer. Ran five minutes twice without stopping which is a huge accomplishment for me!

Chubbygirl253
02-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Edited to delete double post. Oopsie.

Chubbygirl253
02-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Ran 4 miles today. Felt good. Good job everyone! Keep up the good work.

Nikel1979
02-11-2013, 07:17 AM
I ran a 10k over the weekend. It was a much hillier course than I was expecting. Only 1 steep hill, but it was constant small, rolling hills. After the Princess Half, in less than 2 weeks, I'm going to be spending March working on hills. The Knoxville Half in April is a really hilly too, and I could stand to be a little better prepared.

I'm so ready to head to FL! Now that there are no more long runs, just waiting, it's making me crazy. Only 10 days until I leave! I'm dressing as Darth Vader for the 5k and Ursula for the half. :D

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/moonfaerie/f3335065-dd07-418c-8bf3-75fdc3acf11c_zps70248bfa.jpg http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/moonfaerie/326ccdcd-45be-4462-95d8-93d763cc537a_zps1f33a6ec.jpg

lm3898
02-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Nice work everyone!! Nikel I love your pics!!

Made it 7.5 miles yesterday - I'm in NJ so I took care to watch for icy/slush to it was a little slower pace - just under 10min/mile.

I ran early-blizzard Friday night as well - I gotta say it was pretty life affirming! I felt amazing knowing I was doing something so many others wouldn't bother to do - to be honest, it was still really pre-blizzard - snowing but not scary out or anything - got 4.5 FUN miles in!

devadiva
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Trying photohttp://s1017photobucket.com/lets see

Goddess Jessica
02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Ran at lunch for 4 miles. I had to skip my weekend long run because the cute husband was in SF for the weekend and running with my toddler is hard enough for just 3 miles, let alone 6.

Question for you running divas: when do I need to bring sports gels and water on my runs? I am doing 7 miles this weekend and my running buddy recommended I bring them. I have never eaten a sports gel in my life. I am afraid I will gag. :)

P.S. Nikel1979 - LOVE your Ursula outfit!

Nikel1979
02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm good for about 5 miles before I start needing fuel. I think the gels are the most disgusting things EVER. Some of the chews aren't too bad. I've found I like half a pack of the sports beans with caffeine about 30 mins pre-run. Then during the run I do 1/2 a Honey Stinger vanilla waffle at the 1 hour point and then every 30 mins after that.

As someone that started running in the summer in the very hot & humid south, I'm used to drinking a little water every 2 miles. When it's cool, I can go longer, but in the summer, I need pretty frequent water.

While I have an indestructible stomach the rest of the time, my running tummy is quite sensitive and picky.

devadiva
02-11-2013, 09:58 PM
I have run up to 13.3 and routinely run 6.5 and do not use anything,usually have oatmeal in the morning but not always.......but always take water even if its cold, it's very dry here and I breathe through my mouth.

angiemama
02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Love the seawitch costume Nike. I really want to run the princess half, but Florida is too far. I might have to settle for doing the disney half in CA instead.
1.98 yesterday. So close I can feel it! I will hit 2.0 tomorrow- I will I will :)

devadiva
02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Still not able to run maybe on weekend taken care of whats important my boy! Been whittling down my weight!

lm3898
02-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Goddess I use them for races but not training runs...during a half marathon I"ll usually have one after mile 6...

Got eight miles in Tues night - my stupid feet were hurting but that's nothing new...my doc. still has my custom orthodics -he is in the process of tweaking them so I'm hoping that helps...HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

How are things going w/ the boy Deva?

Goddess Jessica
02-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I am contemplating going lower carb for awhile. I need a sugar intake reset. Does anyone run while on lower carbs? What do I need to be aware of?

devadiva
02-16-2013, 11:25 AM
I am doing The JJVirgin thing eliminates lots of things am doing really well on it ,as far as amount of carbs??I am only eating complex carbs but don't worry so much the number but am keep my calories quite low,due to age,don't get to have many to start with and to lose weight I have to eat less....Ido not feel like it effects my energy running I have more with less weight.I. Have lost 18 lbs since the last week of Dec.And at my age losing weight can usually be really hard.
As for running was able to get in 3.6 this am before hubby went to work YEAH!Yesterday I was able to do some Kelly CoffeyMeyer weights video (60min)

And my boy had slight infection so is now on4 th bandage takes like60 pills a day,and still has to be taken out to potty with his rear end assisted ( and will have to for 8weeks)But he is improving! Should get stitches out next week but his leg out of bandage will be very weak!

devadiva
02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Got in a nice 3.6 ran into a bunch of dog walkers ,I was later than my normal tome and its the weekend.Down another lb. ho ha

free1
02-17-2013, 07:12 PM
QUESTION....Training for my first half marathon (8. 2 miles today). I noticed that I break into hives on my long runs...and not just where my clothes rub but on my lower hands and arms. I don't think it's chafing because there's nothing on my hands that would rub my skin. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also tried out my new running shoes today....switched from New Balance to Saucony. Not my choice....I couldn't find my favorite New Balance ANYWHERE (including online). They're older but I've never had a blister or irritation or bruised in them. I liked the Saucony's they felt snug and very comfortable. I almost didn't feel them at all! I think these are the pair for my half (unless the New Balance fairy comes along). :)

alaskanlaughter
02-17-2013, 08:05 PM
QUESTION....Training for my first half marathon (8. 2 miles today). I noticed that I break into hives on my long runs...and not just where my clothes rub but on my lower hands and arms. I don't think it's chafing because there's nothing on my hands that would rub my skin. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also tried out my new running shoes today....switched from New Balance to Saucony. Not my choice....I couldn't find my favorite New Balance ANYWHERE (including online). They're older but I've never had a blister or irritation or bruised in them. I liked the Saucony's they felt snug and very comfortable. I almost didn't feel them at all! I think these are the pair for my half (unless the New Balance fairy comes along). :)

i dont' usually participate on this thread because i cant run the distances that these girls can...however ive had some SERIOUS reactions while running...i break out in hives head to toe and can feel my throat swelling and my thinking gets real fuzzy...

for me, this happens when i take aspirin or sudafed prior to a run and sometimes when i eat before a run...allergy testing ruled that i'm mildly sensitive to nearly everything and medically allergic to cats, lobster and cockroaches (darn no more cockroaches for breakfast :p ) and i was prescribed an epipen for my serious reactions

i would suggest paying attention to what you are consuming prior to running...for me i simply avoid sudafed and aspirin before a run and i dont eat within a few hours of going to the gym

Nikel1979
02-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Ack! I leave bright and early Thursday for my half marathon runcation! I'm starting to get nervous! The race is Sunday.

devadiva
02-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Nickel you will be great esp in that costume you are a warrior!

lm3898
02-19-2013, 09:11 AM
yay good luck Nikel! I'm sure you'll do great!

Free I'm sorry I've never heard of that, maybe google around...

Got new orthodics on Saturday and decided to try them out - NOT helping this neuroma oh well that was the final test - still managed 10 painful miles...next half marathon is a week from Saturday for me.

Goddess Jessica
02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Ran 6.7 miles on Saturday. That's my longest run yet. By the end, I was dragging but I could have easily walked another 6. So I guess that's good.

I do a yoga class on Sundays to stretch out after my long run day. EVERY time, 40 minutes into the class, the YMCA's Kids Club person has to come get me because my wee one is a crying mess. I think it's just a matter of her getting used to it (usually her dad just keeps her at home but I am trying to be nice and give him a break). But it was such a good class that day. I was sooooo sad when I saw them pop into the doorway. Sigh!

Ran 4 miles yesterday. I would like to bump my weekday runs to 5 miles but I am still SO SLOW.

free1
02-20-2013, 05:40 AM
Ran 3.3 yesterday. Scheduled for a slightly longer run on Thursday (around 6.5) and then I'll try 10 on Sunday which will be a record long run for me and just 3.1 miles away from my half marathon goal. If I feel good doing the 10, I might sign up for a half marathon on 4/7.

How do you all recover from a long run? Do you run the next day? If not, how many days do you take off?

Goddess Jessica
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
I run three times a week (mon, wed, sat) with my long run on Saturday. I have yoga twice a week (tues and sun). I tend to rest and on Thursday and Fridays. Not by choice, per se, but because I run at lunch and my job requires a certain amount of "business lunches" so I usually schedule them those two days but I really want to do a spin class those days. I just don't have the time. Although I hear there might be a spot for me in the Friday yoga class (with my favorite instructor).

free1
02-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Anyone use compression tights for running? Thoughts?

lm3898
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Need to run!! Have been so lazy with this cold weather - I hate hate hate loathe treadmill running lol. Hoping to get something in tomorrow a.m. or tonight if necessary.

novangel
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
<--- Posterior shin splints due to overpronation from low arches, mainly left leg.

I've done some serious homework so I already know everything I need to do (I think) but what if all these things don't work? I fear I will never become a distance runner. :(

Anyone else overcome?? I need victory stories please!

CherryPie99
02-22-2013, 11:28 AM
lm - I hate the treadmill, too! Did 8 miles on it on Sunday and then 5 last night. I actually rain outside in the cold pouring rain on Tuesday to avoid the treadmill that night! Hoping to get out soon for a 6 miler - it's low 30's and clear skies.

novangel - Sorry - no experience with shin spints! Do you wear regular sneakers or minimalist? Low arches tend to respond well to minimalist running!

Jen

devadiva
02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Got in 3.6 back to the pup,he is not doing great has an infection in it,but they are really watching it super powerful antibiotics .
I have been doing lots of cross training.

free1
02-23-2013, 08:03 PM
10 miles today. Weather was bad so I ran on an inside track. I still need to work on speed but it looks like my half marathon in April will become reality!

DEVADIVA...What kind of cross training do you do? On my non-running days, I've been doing a cardio exercise DVD. I think it stresses my legs too much. Been thinking I need to try something less jarring or non-cardio.

CherryPie99
02-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Just finished a 10 mile run - it was light snow and 36 degrees. And it was GLORIOUS!! Sometimes runs suck for no reason, and some times they are awesome for no reason! This was an awesome run!

Best of all - I was flying - 10 miles in 1:18:32 - including miles 2-4 at 7:32, 7:34 and 7:33!!

devadiva
02-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Cherry:wow that's great!
I got 3.6 in and right now any runs are great!

lm3898
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Cherry I have never made it more than 5 miles on a treadmilll and 5 miles feels like 50 to me lol so major props to you for getting in 8!! You are flying outside too way to go.

Deva - you are so inspirational not letting allt his stuff you have going on get you down or stop you for long - I always love to see you're still trucking through. It makes me think I can too.

Only two miles on Friday night as my doc tried to put a pad in my orthodics and it was AWFUL - I ran one mile w/ the orthodic then ripped it out and ran home with no cushion int he shoe.

Sat. was much better 7.25 miles -last longish run before my half this Saturday! It was cool/rainy which makes running sooooooooo much easier lol. Still had horrible foot pain but I think I'm getting surgery early next month - so this could one day be a thing of the past - I can't even imagine.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

lm3898
02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
5.5 miles last night in NYC - ran over the HILLY 59th Street bridge but it was SO freaking cool!!

Nikel1979
02-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I am officially a half marathoner!

Goddess Jessica
02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Congrats on the half marathon!!!! Woooooo!

I did 9.5 miles over the weekend. Whew! It was tough but I did it. Average pace was 13.30. Still so slow but hey, I am only with that. :)

CherryPie99
02-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I am officially a half marathoner!

Congrats, but where are the DETAILS??????!!!!!!

Nikel1979
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Congrats, but where are the DETAILS??????!!!!!!

:lol: I'm still sorting out how I feel about the race. On one hand, I finished a half marathon without getting swept! On the other hand, I'm extremely disappointed with my final time. It was quite hot and humid, and I really struggled with the weather. Around mile 9, I got too overheated and just stopped sweating. And then I started swelling because I was retaining all that water from trying to stay hydrated. Mile 10 was a 23 min mile for me. :cry: I thought about just quitting. Then I thought about a stop at the medic tent, but I knew they wouldn't let me back out there. I did start to feel better and started running again, but I'd lost soooo much time. I ended up with a lot of injuries I've never had to deal with. I have chafing on my arms, a raw bra line, a ton of blisters on my feet, and heat rash on my feet. I was wearing the same stuff I'd been training in. I'm not sure what I could have done better. Maybe I'm just a cold weather runner? I guess at the end of the day, I finished, and that's what matters.

devadiva
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Nickel..isn't that what memories are made of! A perfect day you would not remember or have the battle scars from! Hurray for you!

ChickieBoom
02-27-2013, 09:09 AM
5.5 miles last night in NYC - ran over the HILLY 59th Street bridge but it was SO freaking cool!!

I didn't even know that you could run over the 59th Street Bridge! I drive over it often enough.

I'm going home to NY in a couple of weeks and plan to run in Central Park with my brother for the first time. I'm pretty excited.

Although, I'm a little concerned about some knee pain that I've been having. I've been thinking about getting a brace. Any suggestions. It's not actually pain, just discomfort.

lm3898
02-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Chickie - my husband had knee pain for MONTHS - he finally went to the doc and it was an IT band injury [I think Cherry suffers the same thing right cherry?] - he started doing exercises on a foam roller and it has made all the difference...

Nikel - way to go on sticking with it - I'm sorry you were so under the weather mid-way through...did you drink a lot of extra water on the days leading up to the race?? Also did you bring water with you on the course? Maybe invest in a water belt or pack? Look into BODYGLIDE for chafing - it's AMAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING - totally works wonders!

Nikel1979
02-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I did drink plenty of water and powerade. I wasn't dehydrated at all. When I stopped sweating (because I was overheated despite drinking plenty and dumping water on myself), I swelled up a lot from all that extra fluid in my body. And I did use body glide. Even reapplied during the race. I've never had any of those problems in training. I assume it was just the heat and humidity. I flew from 27 degrees 2 days before the race to running 13 miles in 80 degree weather with 94% humidity. That's a big change, and my blood pressure meds (which I'm on because I only have one kidney) apparently make me more sensitive to heat and light. It's a rare side effect, but it would explain why I had no problems all summer with heat and humidity, and now I do. Next time, I'll try moving my meds around to have them as far apart from race start as possible and I'll get a cooling towel to carry with me.

CherryPie99
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Nickel - That sounds really scary to me. Props to you for finishing and I'm glad there was no lasting negative effects. You did it!!!

lm - yes, I have problems with both IT bands, but between foam rolling, stretching and strengthing, the left one is not bothering me at all (KNOCK ON WOOD). The right one is being more stubborn, but if I wear the IT band strap I do pretty well.

6 miles outside today in sleet - running through ankle deep slush - good times!!!

Jen

devadiva
03-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Got my 1st weekend run in..saw newborn calf and a deer,it was glorious 3.6.

free1
03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
11.5 miles today...On pace to try the full half marathon test run next week.

NIKEL...Congratulations....the bottom line is you finished and no one can take them from you. I'm trying to just finish so your miles ahead of me. Celebrate, you deserve it.

Chickie Boom & LM3898...going home in a few months. I want to run the Brooklyn Bridge just because :)

devadiva
03-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Got in a 3.6 mile run today. Won't run again till next weekend. Pup is still infected but hopefully improving still requires constant care.

CherryPie99
03-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Oh Gayle! I want to hear that your boy is all healed up!!!! I hate when my fur-kids don't feel well!!

I got in 11 miles this morning - it's so far to run in the really cold weather in my Vibrams, but after about 2.5 miles they warmed up. Knock on wood, I am still wearing the IT Band strap on my right leg and both were perfect today!!

Goddess Jessica
03-04-2013, 05:36 PM
I can't believe my half marathon is this weekend! I am excited and scared.

On Saturday, I did the "Finish Chelsea's Run" 5K (named for a girl who was raped and killed in San Diego on her run. Super sad cause and I wish we didn't have to run for it). Because I knew it was going to be a much shorter run, I increased the intensity and it nearly killed me but I was running 11 minute miles -- which is fast for me. I ran to and from the event to get almost 6 miles that day.

I ran today (4.5) and I will run on Thursday and then no running until Sunday. At least that's what I'm told I should do. :)

devadiva
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Is there a March????

lm3898
03-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Sorry deva just created it!! It's been a hellish week so far :/