Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #39

♪GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ♫

Since Will was gone at lunchtime yesterday I made myself the yummiest soup out of some left over potato slices. I added milk, chives, parsley, bacon bits, Italian seasoning; a slice of Swiss cheese ~ brought it all to a boil and then enjoyed every bite. Guess the animals liked the odor emanating from my cup because they were all interested in what I was eating.

Will brought home a nice roast from the “used meat” bin yesterday so I put it in the crock pot with some potatoes and carrot so that is what we had for dinner. Leftovers of that await another meal in the fridge. I’m telling you with the prices going up on everything it really helps to find good cuts of meat in that bin. The meat isn’t really that old for it was just packaged the day before so that is where we buy it from, unless we need a different cut for a certain recipe. We had a delicious lunch today out of some of the leftover shredded meat over toast from that awesome sourdough loaf.

We put Will’s little refrigerator on a nice wood table that matches the other tables in the front room near the entrance to the kitchen from the front room and it looks fine there and will just hold our drinks ~ sodas, V-8 Juice, water, etc. It should work out nicely and free up some room in the refrigerator plus make it so much easier to get our drinks out of.

DONNA FAYE I hope you get all that is on your shopping list covered in those 3 stores you have to visit to fill it. I am so thankful that Will does the bulk of our shopping for it sure does save me from the aggravation. I never did like shopping but can make bodacious lists. Our bit of snow hasn’t melted yet for we are having chilly days here.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers! We had about a half hour of sunshine this morning, and then the cloud cover emerged, windy, and cold. I have to admit it was above 0 so that was a plus. We went to visit my "mom" in her new home; she is in an independent living apartment which is also connected to assisted living, and there is a health center next door. It's new and very nice. We ate lunch with her; every day they have a choice of the main entrée, then several choices of different salads, vegetables, breads, and desserts. They are allowed to order extra food and take it back to their apartment for supper. I went to visit the cat when we got home and have been lazy ever since. I need to do some serious cleaning tomorrow!

"Gma" -- You and I posted within a few minutes of each other yesterday. I had to giggle at you wearing socks because your feet were cold. I wear socks to bed sometimes, and then take them off during the night. I hope you felt better today. I text more also; I like it because I can get a response back sooner if the kids are at work. Hope all of your errands go smoothly tomorrow.

Maggie -- Your temperatures have been quite a bit warmer than here . . . not fair! You are right, January was a fast month. The older I get the faster time seems to fly by. Bob dropped a bottle of juice and the bottle broke when it hit the ceramic tile floor. That was a sticky mess just like pop, I would imagine. I wasn't home at the time and he ended up cleaning it up all by himself. He even had to take the grate off the bottom as well as shelves; that was before we had glass shelves so everything got spattered.

Susan -- Hope all is ok with you!

Guess I will check email and make a grocery list. Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 02-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Beautiful Saturday

The snow is melting for we are in the 40º and 50º temperatures this sunny day in the ♥-Land.

Will was out and about early this morning and of all things he stopped by Mc-D’s and brought me a breakfast burrito. They are 8P+ and I certainly don’t have them often but it was a treat today for sure for "brunch". I ate some cuties with it and it was yummy. Two come in the order so I now have one in the freezer for a later date. For dinner we will have burgers done on the outside grill.

Our little fridge is working out great for our drinks now. My fridge is all cleaned out and looking nice and neat once again.

That cat dumped his food dish off his TV tray and the contents spread about the wood floor quickly. He just turned and gave me a look. I knew that I wouldn’t have to clean up that mess because Beanie was right there doing a good job of it. I do believe Cecil was finished eating and just dumped the rest on the floor for Beanie who cleaned up every morsel. I keep a sheet of non-skid material on that table so it had to be dumped on purpose. I just picked up Cecil’s stainless little bowl and put it back on his table and refilled it for he will be back later wanting a snack. He isn’t an overweight cat and so I can leave food out all the time for him.

I was home busy cleaning up my office and gathering up the trash. We certainly are trashy people because I got lots to throw away. I do think, though, that my trash can by my desk was half full of tissues. Our big trash can (hard plastic) sits outside the back fence by the alley so it is easy for us to just reach over the fence, open the lid, and put the trash in the container for them to pick up on Tuesdays. The alley has trash cans provided by the company lined up on both sides like sentinels at attention. The wind does come along and knocks them over though, when they aren’t very full, but if any trash gets out of the containers it is picked up quickly for it isn’t strewn down the alley. The containers have an attached lid so they don’t go missing in the wind. A different company picks up the church trash and I don’t know why that is. They don’t get filled very often except maybe on pot-luck days or when we have a baby or bridal shower. We get trash in our yard from a business down the street and around the corner. That is where a flower shop is and the trash has bits and pieces of silk flowers and leaves. I have picked up some beautiful silk flowers in my yard. At least the trash blowing from there is pretty trash. But trash none the less. The best thing I ever found blown into the yard was a weathered 10 dollar bill. Once on the way to church I picked up a beautiful bunch of silk tiger lilies and carried them into the building. One of the ladies said, “Oh what pretty flowers.” I held them out and said, “You can have them, I just picked them up in the alley and they probably came from the flower shop on the corner.” She was delighted to get them. The flower shop does sell real flowers also and not just the silk ones.

I feel like baking today and may have the ingredients to make a dump cake which I can take to pot-luck and then have a piece. I think I will make the one that takes a Devil’s-food Cake Mix, a cup of Greek Yogurt and a cup of water. Here is the recipe for you to make it if you like. If you use sugar free cake mix it is 4P+ a piece and well worth it.
CAKE MIX & FAT FREE GREEK YOGURT
Yield: 12 servings – 4P+ per serving
Ingredients
One 18.25 –oz box moist-style cake mix
1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 cup water
Directions
Preheat oven to 350ºF
Combine the first 2 ingredients in a bowl and mix
Add the 1 cup of water and whisk thoroughly.
Transfer to baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray
Bake in the oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
(Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and baking time)

Best flavor: Devil’s food cake mix. Hands down
Texture: “Velvety” comes to mind ~ Super moist
Taste: YUMMY! There wasn’t any yogurt taste at all
just pure cake-tastic deliciousness!
Frosting: If you want to frost it count the points+

JEAN That sounds like a wonderful place for seniors to live out their last days where "Mom" now lives. I believe they should be kept as comfortable and happy as possible. Isn't it great that they give them food choices. That sure makes it nicer for them to have a choice in that area for food seems to take a great interest for some seniors. Since my fridge had had a recent thorough cleaning it wasn't as difficult as we thought it would be to clean up all that sticky but it was pretty bad. Sure prompted Will to get that little fridge set up for our drinks.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's yet another cold cloudy day in my corner of the world. Will spring ever get here? I'd "almost" rather have a foot of snow that all these gloomy days. I made a grocery run this morning, have laundry going, and need to go visit the cat for our bonding time in front of the tv.

Maggie -- We put our recyclables and garbage out in garbage bags. Our guys are very careless with the garbage cans as they just pitch them in the direction of the driveway. The lids can be found anywhere in the next block on a windy day, and the cans can be rolling around in the street. Thanks for sharing the cake recipe. What kind of frosting do you put on it?

I need to go visit the cat! Enjoy the rest of your day and keep warm!

Last edited by Jean; 02-02-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It started out to be another cloudy day but the clouds blew away around noon, so it was a beautiful blue sky and SUNSHINE this afternoon. It's not all that warm but the sun sure makes it feel warmer. I've been to do cat chores, worked on laundry, read the papers, and vacuumed. We skipped church this morning. I didn't sleep very well last night. Bob tossed and turned then I tossed and turned. I finally shut the alarm off about 4 and decided if I woke up in time for church, ok, and if not that was ok too.

I think I'm hearing an echo here today!

Bob decided he wanted to make a dip for the Super Bowl so went after the Rotel and some wine. I'm not a football fan but there has been hints about the ads being good, bad, and ugly so I may watch just to see those. I know I don't like the VW one where the guy is supposed to sound like he is from MN . . . no way does he. Hope you all enjoy your evening!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #6  

Good morning girls. It is chilly at the moment, but supposed to warm up today.

Today was weigh in and I am up a bit, but it doesn't surprise me considering how I am feeling. Looks like I am back to square one with the female stuff. I see her next week so we will be discussing it. I am just tired of it frankly and sometimes I am really uncomfortable.
Thank goodness we did the Walmart and Kroger run on Friday afternoon because the commissary was an absolute nightmare on Saturday. It looked like a hurricane had come through on Friday as half the shelves were depleted, especially snack foods. Ok, I don't mean to sound prejudiced but sometimes blacks bring it on themselves. First off, not a lot of blacks use the commissary on a regular basis. I mean compared to shopping in Krogers or whatever the percentage is much smaller. Well, there were at least 15 blacks standing around the chicken area waiting for them to bring chicken out then they swarmed in like God was coming the next day and they'd be leavin' it behind. I saw one woman with 15 long packages of chicken! I thought they would beat me down for my one package of boneless, skinless thighs! I got the evil eye about it that was for sure. The poor guy bringing the trays out got swamped and it was just something to watch. We did get everything on my list somehow, I guess because we weren't buying lots of steaks, chicken and such for Super Bowl parties. I am surprised there was as much soda as there was. You can't buy beer or liquor at the commissary, you have to go to the package store or convenience store on base, but I would bet they were cleaned out too! We get to the checkout and they had two express lanes, one of which was for handicapped and active duty in uniform only and two regular checkouts. Now it was Navy active duty payday and Navy retired payday on Friday, some Social Security checks, EBT people got their benefits too and on top of all of that, Super Bowl weekend. The line went down the front of the store and back clear to the back of the store. I was so mad they didn't have more checkers that if we hadn't needed the stuff I would have left it there and walked out. Jack gave me the keys to the car and said to go out and get it in that he didn't need my help so I did. I bet I sat in the car 20 minutes before they came out with the groceries and we weren't very far back. One of the things was that people weren't staying in line, they were just cutting in and going up to the register and standing. With the commissary, you stand at the end of all the registers and wait for the person to tell you which register to go to. We had some women, frankly, from the chicken group, who thought they were better than anyone else and just moseyed right into line behind us instead of waiting like everyone else. The nitwit who was directing traffic so to speak didn't do a thing about it either.

We talked to Jay yesterday morning for a few minutes. He and Jackson were getting ready to go to ju jitsu class. We told Jackson he had a surprise coming today and he asked "What is it?" We told him it was a surprise and he said, "Give me a hint!" I told him he would like it and it was for Valentine's Day. He said, "Give me another hint!" I said, no he would have to wait until tomorrow. The place I ordered it said it would take a week to ship, but they shipped it on Friday and it will arrive today so I told Jay he would just get it really early I guess. If I had waited, they probably wouldn't have shipped it in time. That would be my luck so I am glad at least he will get it. I am shipping his tshirt, and Jay and Alicia's hat and slippers today to them so they should get there Wednesday.

Jean: We watched the Super Bowl until the lights went out in the stadium then Jack gave up on it and turned it off. I could have cared less about it anyway and when he went upstairs I turned the tv back on and watched Law and Order reruns and Untold Stories of the ER. I thought the Budweiser ad where the guy raises the horse from a colt was sweet. I always laugh at the M and M commercials and the one with "The Rock" about milk was kind of cute. We skipped the trashy halftime show.

Maggie: I bought a box of WW breakfast burritos and they are really good except the innards tend to come out of them when they are heating in the microwave. I have a whole freezer full of WW meals now. I found some more asian meals, which I really like and a few things I haven't seen before. Walmart has them for a good price so I scooped them up. I really like having them for lunch. Our trash pick up day is Wednesday and they didn't pick it up until Saturday. I guess they decided to strike in solidarity for the other trash people who went on strike here. It is kind of ridiculous because we are a right to work state and striking has no effect. The city just gives them an ultimatimum, go back to work or lose your job! We have unions, but you can't be forced to join (Jack has a union, but he won't join it which makes the shop steward hate him.) He said they have come to an understanding after having had a real knockdown drag out argument a couple years ago. So, the workers went back to work on Thursday and I guess they were playing catch up to get trash picked up on Saturday.

Well girls, I have lots and lots to do today and I am feeling rotten with cramping so I need to get things done. I hope you all have a great start to your week. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

It is said that it will stay in the 50ºs this week with showers on Saturday & Sunday. Bring on the rain. This is weigh day and I have a feeling I will stay the same because my home scale didn’t budge. I really won’t know until I step on the iron monster at WW this evening though so no pining or fretting here. I got to hold the new baby yesterday at church and it is so tiny but has all the parts working as they should. Such a cute tiny little thing but her mother is very small herself. I am so glad she liked the gift we gave her ~ it was one of those little soft animals that has a heart beat like the mothers to help the preemies sleep. I think she was a couple months early. Babies are so precious and grow up so fast for you turnaround and they are teens.

My yellow-green eyed cat just tapped me on the leg so he needs some attention. He has turned out to be a real fun little furry thing. He is off now to play with “his” dogs down the hall and back again they romp.

Did you know that “they” say you should thaw meat and poultry in the fridge and not on the kitchen counter where bacteria could grow. Well, I usually thaw meat in my microwave and cook it right when it’s thawed. A turkey I will thaw in the fridge. I am thinking the next turkey breast I thaw will be thawed in our little drink fridge. I cook a roast in the crock pot starting when it is still frozen and it thaws nicely ~ just takes longer to cook it. When I cook one that way I have to wait to add the veggies because they would get mushy if they were in there as long as it took that meat to thaw and then cook so I really like to have the meat thawed first so I can put everything in the crock pot at the same time and leave it to do it’s job. The last roast I cooked came from the “used meat” bin at the market and went from the bag right into the crock-pot that day with some veggies and was done by dinnertime. Before putting the veggies in, though, I did dump an envelope of dry onion soup mix over the surface of the roast. It sure smells so good when it is cooking that way. We usually have some burritos with the left-over meat and some great low point+ soup is made with the veggies.

That cake I made turned out so moist and good and is today going in the freezer with each piece wrapped in freezer stretch tight. It is so good even without frosting and only 4P+ a piece. I’m thinking it would be good with some sliced fruit on top as a frosting. Right after it had cooled I cut it into the proper sized pieces the recipe called for. That 3-2-1 Cake is great also & is only 1P+ a serving. Here is the recipe if any of you don’t have it:

3-2-1 CAKE 1 Point +
In a zip lock bag combine & mix well
1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 box Cake Mix – any flavor
To make one serving
Mix together in microwave safe container
2 Tbsp. cake mix
2 Tbsp. water
Microwave on High for 1 minute
Store remaining cake mixture in the bag.
You can top each cake with a dollop of
fat-free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.
Try various flavors (i.e. carrot, red velvet, lemon, orange, etc)

I currently have a mixture of Angel Food and Chocolate and it is so yummy with some mandarin oranges or cuties on top. What is so neat about this recipe is you can make only one serving at a time if you want.

DONNA FAYE Wonder why it is that the commisary doesn't have more checkers for they do know when the pay days and special occasion days are when it stands to reason that they will be "the busy days." Sure makes it hard when folks are rude and cut into line during such times and the powers that be don't want to deal with the problem. They are probably afraid of a confrontation and causing a scene. I imagine you are so thanful that you did get all your shopping done before your female issues hit hard. Good thing you will be talking to your Doc soon about putting a stop to this ongoing trama you go through.

JEAN We are so glad we didn't even want to watch Super Bowl and when we were at Applebees and saw on TV that the lights went out in the statdium ~ what drama ~ and the dopey "talking heads" talked it to death.

Have a great Monday Magnolias.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! The sun was shining again today so that made it a great day! We were $10 off at church this morning, double checked all the checks and cash vs. the written report; I found it when I posted as someone did a double entry for one check. I picked up the hospital money and will do that in the morning when my brain works better, well sometimes it works better in the morning. I had a P.E.O. meeting this afternoon, came home to change clothes, then went to do my cat chores. Bob had practice late this afternoon so that made supper later than usual. Part of our cable channels were off as well as our telephone late this afternoon and most of the evening. Our cell phones wouldn't work either; Bob wondered if everyone was calling to complain about the cable/phone lines and jammed the cell lines doing it. New sewer pipes are being buried along the highway and this is the second time they have cut the cable.

"Gma" -- I noticed the snacky type things were in short supply at the grocery store Saturday. Since we don't Super Bowl party I never gave it a thought at the time. You'd think stores would stock up on things when they know a holiday, or something special, is coming. Our one store has a pathetic bread selection. They have a bakery and want their stuff to sell; it isn't the best either. I thought the Budweiser ad was cute too. I couldn't understand a word they were singing at the half time show; what a waste imo.

Maggie -- I hope the iron monster was kind to you tonight. I usually thaw meat in the fridge or sometimes the microwave. I remember my mom just putting meat in the sink to thaw and I've done that too, but not in the last few years. Thanks for sharing the cake recipe. It sounds super easy that even I can do it!

I am tired and going to head for bed. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 02-04-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #9  

Good morning gals. It is lovely and sunny today. It is still cool, but at least the sun is shining. I am tired of all these gray gloomy days. I am certainly ready for spring.

I have to play catch up with chores today as I didn't feel well over the weekend and Monday either. I am having daily female cramping and "stuff" and it usually starts late morning so I try and get my work done before I feel too bad to do it. When I get done here, I am going to tackle it and get it done right away.

I am almost finished with Jack's hat. He doesn't want anything on it so it is just two colors, which makes it a faster knit. I purchased a sleeveless sweater pattern yesterday for the cruise and the yarn for it too. The color is lemon, but on the pic you can see it looks more like orange sherbet or something. Either color will be fine. I have black, gray and navy slacks I can wear with it and a black skirt too. I am anxious to get it and get to knitting it. I actually was able to purchase my size in it and I have enough yarn to go down a size, which I am thinking of doing since I am determined to get enough weight off to get to where I was when we went to Vegas the first time. Then all those clothes I wore then will fit and the sweater will fit too.

Maggie: I saw this on facebook and wondered whether or not the cake would really work. I am going to have to get some mixes and try it for Jack. He is the big sweet eater in the family. I buy ff redi whip and it would be good on it I would think. Even if you did put some canned frosting on it, unless you glumped half the can on, the small amount shouldn't be a big deal I would think and canned frosting will keep. I am trying to keep my sugar level low so am trying not to eat sweets, but I may just have to try this one. Thanks for sharing it. The commissary is run by a dunderhead. I have complained repeatedly and get every bologney excuse in the book.

Jean: Glad you found the mistake. I have to say, though it can go out with storms, I really like having satellite. We have had it now for about 10 years and we had to have it repaired a few weeks back. Something about the wiring, but we had the protection plan, which is like $3 a month so it covered all the repairs. We always had so much trouble with cable being out all the time and I got fed up with it and we switched. We get a lot of channels and options cable doesn't offer too. We no longer have land line phones so that is a worry we don't have with them going out. Funny thing though, Memphis is this huge metropolitan area, but hasn't buried their phone lines, electrical lines and such like a lot of cities have. We have lines all over the place.

Well girls, I better hop to it and get some breakfast in me. Fiber one waffles and fruit this morning. Have a good Tuesday and hope the sun shines where you are today! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 145.jpg (22.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 4537_1198_zoom_1.jpg (44.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies. We might make it to 55 degrees today, but cloudy and grey day.

I have certainly missed all of you. I had the surgery to remove the screw from my foot. It's healing nicely but I still have some stitches in it. I have to wear my ugly boot and hope to get rid of it when I go back on Thursday. I really hate not being able to do any weight bearing exercises.

Faye, I am so sorry those female problems have reared their ugly heads again. What a disappointment for you when you thought they were over. I know you will get to your goal by cruise time for you are a determined lady.

Jean, I always have mixed feelings about the senior living centers. It sure would be nice in one sense, but there would be a lot of funerals, too. I hope I can stay at home and die in my own bed. We are required to put trash in the can and wheel it to the street because the driver doesn't have to get out of the truck. He has a metal arm that picks up the can and dumps it. Our recycling is now in little bins but they are changing that to big cans and picking up bi-weekly. This is such overkill for one person like me. I doubt I'd fill either receptacle in a monthj.

Maggie, I've made the microwave cake, too. A little Cool Whip frosting is great on it. I also like fruit on it. I have a vase of silk flowers on the table in the foyer and Casper has discovered them. He gets up there when I'm not around and pulls one flower out (usually upsetting the vase) and then when I'm watching tv he brings it to me and drops it in my lap. He wants to play fetch. I think he must be part dog because he brings me things to through and then he fetches them back. He particularly likes a straw and will carry it around in his mouth for quite a while.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Tuesday

♪♥♫ GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Well at WW I was up just a piece of a pound last evening so it wasn’t a big surprise. Yesterday I was thinking of kicking up my exercise a tad bit and what did we talk about but exercise. I bought a copy of WW’s latest book Veg Power! which has some very interesting yummy looking recipes in it. I am going to try the one called “Tofu Parmesan” today. I have never worked with tofu and thought I would give it a try and Will surprised me and said he would also give it a try. There are lots of interesting veggie dishes in the book. “140 recipes to pump up produce, use less meat.” I found it interesting that when I went in to the meeting last evening there were 3 copies of the book on the table and when I left there were 2 copies on the table. Looks like I am the only one that bought one for the leader told me they only got 3 in to begin with. All of the recipes don’t have tofu in them. I do want to give it a try though. No way would I ever become a vegetarian but I love fruits and veggies and was really surprised at the number of WW members that don’t eat fruits and veggies at all. It is a challenge for the leader to get those folks to even try them for they are very resistive.

DONNA FAYE Having a nice sleeveless T to wear under an over blouse can make a really nice outfit with a nice pair of pants. Thans for posting the picture. I have several nice T’s that I do that with. I have one black silk one and a hot pink one that are luscious under a black silk shirt. Other ones I have I think are rayon but nice to have none-the-less and last forever. Mine are all too big now and I am going to have to figure out how to take them in or buy some new ones. I like to wear my clothes loose though but not sloppy.

SUSAN Now you can't say you have a screw loose for it has been removed. Cats that play fetch are so fun. What a sweet one you have to bring you a flower. Cecil isn't one to want to play fetch but he also loves straws and q-tips. He gets the q-tips out of Will's shop where he keeps a container and I find them strewn about. He loves going downstairs and objects when that door is closed.

Have a wonderful day Magnolias.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's 37 degrees according to the Weather Bug. I've finished counting the gift shop money and wrote checks for new merchandise. I need to drop the checks off, make the deposit, buy a wedding gift for the daughter of a former teacher who resigned under pressure, cat chores, and make some phone calls for church.

"Gma" -- Your sweater will be very pretty! The yarn kind of looks like it might be two shades; it reminds me of spring. I know you have probably told us, but when is your next cruise? I am sure that the house where I am cat sitting has cable plus a dish. There are lower channels, one being the weather forecast coming from quite a ways east of us which is stupid. There are several channels with nothing then lots of larger numbered channels with a - between numbers like 51-13.

Susan -- It's good to see you today! I knew you were having the screw removed but forgot the date. I hope you can kick the boot soon. There are so many activiites at the different senior living places, one could be busy every day. Being around other people would be a plus for me if I wasn't able to be out and about on my own. Casper sounds like a fun cat to have; Sonny goes to the vet tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to getting him in the carrier.

Maggie -- I put tofu in the sponge category. I bought some many years ago and I can't repeat what Bob's comment was. The kids both looked at it and refused to eat it. You will have the "piece of a pound" gone by next week!

I need to keep moving and put my gift shop paperwork away. Have a great day and enjoy!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

♪♥♫ GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

JEAN I have been resistive to even trying tofu for years and after buying this Veg Power cookbook with good sounding recipes that have tofu in them I decided to take the plunge. (All the recipes in the book don't have tofu in them.) Will even said he was willing to try it so he bought the tofu. I made half the recipe “Tofu Parmesan” that would make 4 servings because I wasn’t totally sure we would like it but we both gave it a 4 star out of 5 rating. I will make that recipe again. Now I have enough tofu to try another recipe. It was funny when he was buying the tofu a priest asked him what he was going to make. Will said his wife was planning on something. The priest went on to say that the neat thing about tofu is that it is tasteless and takes on whatever flavors and spices you use when you cook with it. That was definitely the case with the recipe I used for it tasted a whole lot like lasagna. The next recipe I am going to use the rest of the tofu in is called “BBQ Tofu.” I won’t be resistive to start using it on occasion now that I have tried it.

Have a great evening Magnolias

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #14  

Good morning to you girls. I hope your day is starting out well. We are going to have a beautiful sunny day and finally cracking into the 60's today. It was nice yesterday even in the 50's.

I am reading a Sidney Sheldon book I haven't read and it is pretty good. I got to thinking about old authors that I may want to reread their stuff and found this book on my library site. I finished Jack's hat (the color on the computer is off, the band is really a bright orange sort of like a traffic cone) and so am back to working on my stuff inbetween reading some.

My body is betraying me this week as I am up in weight. I have stayed with my WW and not gone back to bad habits but I guess I must be retaining water with this stupid female stuff. It will all work out, but it does get discouraging when you are working hard. It isn't Monday yet so we shall see then.

Susan: Oh, I am so glad your surgery went ok even with the ugly boot for awhile. I am sure you will feel better overall when it is completely healed. I guess you will just have to do some seated exercises for a bit. How cute! I don't think I have ever heard of a cat that plays fetch so to speak. I had to giggle at him carrying a straw around.

Maggie: Ahh, weigh in. You will have more off by next week. I have used the crumbles in chili and find that you don't know you aren't eating beef. I am not sure I would use the cubed stuff though. Who knows?

Jean: The yarn does have what they referred to as "marling" in it so I am anxious to get it. They haven't shipped it yet though and they are taking their sweet time getting it ready it looks like. Our cruise leaves Oct 11, which is a Sunday. It is Mexico bound this time along with Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and one other port that I can't remember at the moment. We are doing a glass bottom boat trip in Grand Cayman, a salsa cooking thing in Cozymel and probably high tea in Jamaica at one of their mansions. We haven't decided on the high tea thing yet.

Well, work calls as does breakfast. It is oatmeal with fruit for me today and pot roast, carrots and new potatoes for dinner. Have a great one! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boise state hat.jpg (32.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking HUMPDAY ~ AKA Wednesday

♪♥♫ GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS ☺♫

Partly cloudy day in the high 50º today. I feel a chill in the air and I am debating on putting on my sweatshirt jacket or not. I think not because the heater will recycle itself on any second now. I slept in later today then I have been doing lately but we did stay up later than usual watching some old Arnold Swartsnagger (not sure that is the correct spelling) movies we hadn’t seen before. They are certainly action packed.

I am greeting this world slowly and thoroughly enjoying my coffee. The dogs are asleep in the front room and the cat is asleep on the bed and Will is downstairs working on a saddle and I am waking up to a new day. Life is good.

I am going to go through a new book I just got that is Your Brain & Body Answer Book which looks to be quite interesting. I just opened it and here is what I read on page 219 “Pick perfect foods. Certain foods are not only good for you, they’ll make it easier for you to lose pounds. Generally, choose fiber-rich grains, fruits, and vegetables.” I am going to like this book. So far it goes hand in hand with the WW way of losing weight and maintain a healthy body along the way. It also has things to say about what benefits we get from exercising to music. Yep, I am going to like this book.

For lunch I am going to have half a can of Progresso potato soup for 2P+ and some cuties, sliced jicama and drink a small bottle of Perrier water. For dinner Will has requested chili mac so that will fit nicely within my points+ allotment for the day. Easy enough to make this day’s allotment of food.

DONNA FAYE The colors showed true on my computer if that orange is as you said. Hope your next visit to your doc will get you going on getting those problems taken care of. Seems like you have been suffering long enough. Losing weight is very difficult when ones body isn't functioning like it should.

Have a great evening Magnolias