Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #1  

Default I made my own Bread... yippeee

I have been trying all sorts of store bought breads .. and all of them are not to my taste infact some that claim the are whole grain.. were much too finely textured to be .. so I went searching for a recipe I could make my self.. then I know exactly what is in it.. finally found the recipe for ME.. no sweet . whole wheat bread.. Sweet WW has always been a turn off for me.
http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/02...100-whole.html

I even made my own oat flour to use.. I have a Vitamix so am considering getting their container that will allow me to grind the wheat berries for an even fresher bread flour..
after I made this I sliced it , with a bread slicer guide, so the slices are thin.. and will freeze 1/2 of it as there are no preservatives in it and will take out a few slices as needed..
..... I am so pleased with this recipe. AND I just dumped into m long ignored bread machine and viola.. Healthy BREAD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bread-machine-bread-500x500-kalynskitchen.jpg (73.7 KB, 2 views)
crenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/294/160

I can't wait to make bread
paydaymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Great!

I go through phases where I make a lot of breads. Then I realize I am eating way too much of it and I have to stop!

Can't remember if I ever posted any of my recipes, but I played around with lots of whole grain variations. My only failure was a "hummus bread" - not a good texture but I wrote in my notes that I wanted to try it again because the flavor was great.

I've had great success recently with 100% whole wheat pizza dough. Rave reviews from others who would not normally be a fan of a whole wheat pizza dough. One key is the *white* whole wheat flour.

I'm so jealous of all you folks who own a Vitamix! arrrrrrrgh I want one
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on your bread making success!
RiverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Since this has been moved to the recipes section, I will post my bread-making notes here. I checked the recipe you used - VERY similar to mine, except that one is a 1.5 lb loaf and mine is 1 lb.

I combined several recipes to come up with mine ... the best part is that the "2.5 cups of flour" could be any mixture of flours - though so far I have always used more than half wheat flour. I had fun experimenting with different ratios of other flours, which should work for your recipe as well (3 cups total +1/3 cup wheat bran). Here is one of my successful attempts below:

Quote:
Multi-grain bread - makes 1-pound loaf.
1 cup warm water
2.5 cups flour - whole wheat and a mixture of any others (I did 1.5 c. white whole wheat flour, 0.5 c. oat flour, 0.25 c. flax meal and 0.125 [1/8] cup each of wheat bran and oat bran)
1.5 teaspoons canola oil
2 Tablespoons molasses [maybe not necessary? this was too sweet... could substitute other sweetener of choice]
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon dried milk [maybe not necessary?]
1.5 Tablespoons gluten
1.5 teaspoons yeast

OPTIONAL: 1 Tablespoon each of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds and sesame seeds - also could add chopped walnuts or other nuts, etc. [I added walnuts (YUM) and I thought the flax seeds should not be included (too crunchy). Sunflower seeds are an awesome addition, so is pumpkin. The sesame seeds get really lost unless you just sprinkle them on top during the final rise.]

1 lb loaf, whole wheat cycle, medium crust.
I would like to try mixing in other flours - spelt, quinoa, buckwheat maybe... Unfortunately I have to give up bread for a while. I'll post more if/when I get back to baking.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote