Weight Loss Support - Most important weight loss tip

View Full Version : Most important weight loss tip

marigrace
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
If you had to choose the one best thing you have learned on your weight loss journey, what would it be ?

berryblondeboys
01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Get enough sleep.

marigrace
01-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes, learmed that one too !

Psychic
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.

marigrace
01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Yep, tough one for me, but I'm finally getting it.

bargoo
01-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Plan ahead !

marigrace
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Yes, great one !

BeachBreeze2010
01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Find a lifestyle you can stick with permanently that lets you enjoy eating and moving your body. #2 - if I can have a second - Be patient with yourself as you learn to adapt to the new lifestyle, getting right back to it when you lapse into the old one. If you find yourself doing that too often, then maybe your plan wasn't sustainable and making you happy after all and it's time to tweak it a bit. ;)

marigrace
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Points well taken !

tricon7
01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Consistency.

elvislover324
01-31-2013, 09:47 AM
The pounds will add up, slowly but surely. Don't get frustrated with low losses for one week.

I keep a running tally on my phone with the weekly loss posted. I get giddy with excitement seeing the totals add up.

It's frustrating when I see "only" 1.8lbs this week but I lost over 12 for the month so that makes me happy again!

Roo2
01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Resilence!
In dieting and in life!
We all have disappointments in life but if we are Resilent we can handle whatever comes are way!
This is the secret in life I have passed on to my children and friends!
Good Luck , Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Believe and do the work and you can achieve your Goals:hug:

LebenAlles
01-31-2013, 10:04 AM
People respond to weight loss like they respond to medicine...everyone is different and something that works for one person might not work for another. As long as it's as healthy as possible, keeps you motivated, and has you going in the right direction, then it's a good method for you.

Oh, and patience is key.

JoJoJo2
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Never, ever give up! Never! :wave:

Vex
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Come to 3FC to keep your brain in the game.

KatMarie
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM

Ditto!

marigrace
01-31-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow....all good !

April Snow
01-31-2013, 11:00 AM

yep, this.

RavenWolf
01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Find good support. It can be the difference between success and failure!

(Thank goodness I found this board!)

NCchickie
01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Weigh yourself regularly.

Don't want to get on the scales because you ate off plan and think you've gained? DO IT ANYWAY ASAP. Don't wait.
Avoiding the scale can turn into added pounds, while knowing where you're at can provide motivation and halt a bigger backslide.

Elladorine
01-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Mindfulness/accountability: my food/fitness journal has become my most important tool.:write:

Mozzy
01-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Portion sizes

mimsyborogoves
01-31-2013, 06:35 PM
STOP DRINKING, LAUREN.

Yes, that is what I've learned, hahaha!

novangel
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Calories in vs. calories out.

KYgirlinSC
01-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Drink lots of water!

lunarsongbird
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Large quantities of carbs are not my friend. -_-

Babybat
01-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Consistency.

agreed

mimsyborogoves
02-01-2013, 12:35 AM
So I just did some figuring.

Right now, I have my My Fitness Pal calorie goal set to 1400, which according to them puts me at a 1.4lb loss. Now, this is how much I tend to lose if I'm not doing any major exercising, which they got about spot on.

Now that I'm exercising more, I realized that I'm probably burning way more than MFP thinks I'm burning. Already when I log my exercise into THEIR calorie counter, I'm burning about 7-800 more than what they say I should be burning. And I did notice prior to my holiday time off from the gym, I was losing more when I exercised more, while still eating roughly the same amount of calories as I am now. Which leads me to think if I keep things up and stay ON PLAN this month, I should get half of the remaining weight I need to lose off.

What it boils down to? The biggest thing, better than just not drinking, that I've learned from weight loss is your calorie counters aren't the say all-end all to your weight loss efforts -- your body is going to do what YOU make it do, not what My Fitness Pal or Sparkpeople or Livestrong or whatever other program you use says it should.

The end.

marigrace
02-01-2013, 04:03 AM
I'm blown away by the wisdom in these posts !

avalonmoon
02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Get enough sleep.

^^^^Agree w/ Berryblondeboys. Along with thatone maintain stress levels to a low.

betsy2013
02-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Keep an HONEST food journal. That means making updates during the day if you sneak a cookie, don't eat something, etc.

SoMuchFattitude
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Don't stop living just because you're losing. Your problems won't go away when you're skinnier. Face your demons while you're on this journey and learn to enjoy the ride. Learn to love yourself. Most importantly, forgive yourself.

marigrace
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Ok, I've listed the responses in predominant order....interesting....

#1 Five people said keep trying, or don't give up.

Tied for #2 Three said get enough sleep
Three said Drink/hydrate

Tied for #3 Two people said : plan
be consistent
seek support/3fcsupport
keep track/journal

Everyone else; Portion control
Weigh regularly,even when you slip
Choose a healthy planthat works for you
Keep rack of weight loss so you canfeel your success
Calories in vs out
Not too many carbs
You have the control/ need to own what you do
Face your demons
Forgive yourself
Love yourself.

Renwomin
02-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Lifestyle change - Find out what healthy life style changes work for you long term. I've made mistakes in the past focusing on strategies to lose weight in the short term, but didn't focus on how I was going to keep it off and guess what? I didn't! Since you are already putting in the effort to lose weight, focus on discovering healthy activities and low calorie foods that you love.

mellyymel
02-01-2013, 08:41 PM
PORTION CONTROL/CALORIE COUNTING.

A calorie counter app on your phone really helps!

shcirerf
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
There is no failure, only feedback.

Learn from it. If "A" does not work, try "B" or "C" or whatever.

This is where tracking/diary/blog or whatever comes into play, keep one or all. Food, mood, life, etc. Keep it, look back on it. Evaluate, and evaluate again as needed.

Find supportive and like minded people.

I find these people here and at my Weight Watcher meetings, family, and my gym. All of these people and tools help/support me.

Granted it's in different ways, but, each is important, in it's own way.:D:hug:

rubidoux
02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Food is fuel, not a form of entertainment or your best friend. It doesn't have to make you happy. Don't expect it to do more than fuel you.

graciegoose13
02-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Be Patient!

domesticbliss
02-02-2013, 01:38 AM
Make certain foods completely off limit, so there's not a chance of "cheating" if something isn't an option.
Set a reachable deadline and stick with it- say a month, then reevalute whether or not you are going to recommit or switch things up

mariposssa
02-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Pick a plan you like, that works for you and you can stick with...it is more important that you pick a plan and make it stick than which particular plan you pick. There are lots of ways to lose weight. Don't be afraid to customize a plan to make it work better for you. This will work better if you read the book or books, do your research and understand the theories behind weight loss in general and your plan in particular.

gagalu
02-02-2013, 04:31 AM
patience

PlayingForKeeps
02-02-2013, 07:53 AM
Lose the weight out of love for yourself, not out of hatred for yourself.

TripSwitch
02-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Beware of weight loss myths...

brandonjohnston84
02-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Learning how to prepare my own diet food and come up with my own healthy dishes. Helps so much that I know what i'm preparing is a major contribution to my weight loss successes!

Streudel
02-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't have to lose weight; I want to lose weight

Bellamack
02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
All of the above & NEVER EVER EVER reward myself with food, sets up a reward for everything, ie, making it through pain, happiness, sorrow, etc. Set little rewards for staying in your healthy lifestyle, but don't make it food.

:)

marigrace
02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Learn from your mistakes.

surfergirl2
02-04-2013, 06:10 PM
One tip that i read over and over and over on the Maintainer's Forum, but somehow it never really clicked with me until just a week ago, is that i will ALWAYS have to watch what i eat. I will NEVER be "done." Of course, i will be more relaxed with my diet after a certain point, but i will ALWAYS have to stick to a plan.

I thought i could reach a point where i was neutral--not gaining and not losing--without watching what i ate. And i did...for a few months. But then, slowly, the pounds started to creep on. So i learned that i will NEVER be able to just eat whatever i want.

musicalchick
02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
All of the above & NEVER EVER EVER reward myself with food, sets up a reward for everything, ie, making it through pain, happiness, sorrow, etc. Set little rewards for staying in your healthy lifestyle, but don't make it food.

:)

I like this one that is what I try to do, also I belive mistakes are a moment to learn and grow.

Riddy
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Not losing or even gaining some weight is not failure. Giving up is failure.

The world will not run out of cookies/ice cream/beer/Mac & cheese/pizza while I am losing weight. It will all still be there when I allow myself a small portion in the future. Now the future may be tomorrow, but if I have a chance to eat something that isn't on my plan, my goal is to tell myself "not today."

bunnabear
02-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Patience.
I've learned that for me there is no quick fix...well there is, but its not sustainable in the long run.

35X35
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
For me, a couple things:

Any loss, even maintaining during loss -- is a success. Don't set unrealistic goals or even "I have to lose ___ lbs by ____ date". Any loss is a success and should be celebrated, imo. Any week, month, year that you begin lighter than the last is moving you closer to your goal.

The second biggest for me is to hop RIGHT back on 'the wagon' after a slip-up. Start again the next meal. I used to have a very all or nothing approach that went something like, "oh I've already messed up today, might as well eat whatever I want because the whole day is RUINED." That would turn into days, weeks, and then BAM I'd gain back.

Oh one more BIGGIE was learning to love and like myself where I am. To celebrate who I am and what I've come through. To believe in my strength and worth and beauty EVEN AT THIS WEIGHT. Not to wait until I was a magical slim weight to live life, dress cute, have a high self-esteem and love myself. I am no less valuable because I am overweight.

So, patience, persistence, moderation, and being gentle with myself. Those are my best 'tips'. :)

the shiv
02-04-2013, 08:05 PM
If you only eliminate one thing from your diet, make it GUILT.

We all overeat on occasion for various reasons - stress, habit, tiredness, cravings, depression, hormones, whatever.

Certainly learn from the times you don't do quite what you'd intended, but don't use those times as a stick to beat yourself with. Weight loss can be hard enough without us being our own worst enemies.

ControlW
02-04-2013, 11:58 PM
I'd have to say that the best tip is to not let your current mood affect what you do. There are just some days where, for example, I just don't want to work out, and nothing I can say to myself will make me want to get in the gym. But I know that, beyond my mood, I do want to go to the gym, and so I do. . . . Most of the time. :-) I admit I'm not perfect here.

To rephrase maybe, don't do now what you want to do, but rather do now what you will want later to have done.

Renee3
02-05-2013, 07:02 AM
I just joined yesterday and must say this is an awesome site. Lots of great tips and support. I can do this...I will do this!

Lotus7
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Take baby steps. Sometimes, we try to change too many things at once or go too hard and our minds and bodies cannot keep up. I think making incremental changes to our diet, exercise and lifestyle, say every month or so, is a good way to build consistency and develop good long-term habits that will make us successful in our journey and maintenance.

marigrace
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Look at all this wisdom...I'm really amazed !

2feelbetter
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM

I like this saying. Especially since I feel like I will NEVER lose weight. ;)

Softykins
03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
A healthy gut = a slimmer gut

Patience and perseverance are most important.

:dance::dance::dance:

deb2799
03-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Make SMALL goals
and avoid cheat DAYS. They don't work for me personally and my friend too. I will allow a cheat "meal" or "snack" but, cant do the whole day.

ShaMac
03-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Try to stay away from your trigger foods, as one often turns into ten.

Softykins
03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Make SMALL goals
and avoid cheat DAYS. They don't work for me personally and my friend too. I will allow a cheat "meal" or "snack" but, cant do the whole day.

I agree, I only do cheat meals...

SouthernMaven
03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Always remain optimistic, no matter what!

And what shiv said, which is Ditch. The. Guilt. VERY sage advice.

Katydid77
03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree with Berry . . . SLEEP is VERY important to weight loss.

For me, it is the difference between losing weight and hitting stalls. I have to get a minimum of 6 hours sleep to have a chance of any type of weight loss to show the next morning.

And I can have a night where I get less than 3 hours sleep (fairly common in my job) and be up 2 lbs when I weigh in the next morning!

I simply do not weigh if I have had less than 6 hours sleep, it's a totally artificial number, and sabotages my efforts.

Sleep is king.