Old 01-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #1  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

S/C/G: 166.2/108/105

Height: 5'2.5"

Default donating blood

Hi all,

There is a blood drive at work next week. I've never donated blood before but I want to give back after I received blood after a car accident. (Sorry TMI)

I will call my Dr. tomorrow for specifics but I just wanted to get your take on this. I have a choice of 30 min time slots from 9:30 to 1:30.

1) What time should I give? (I'm a morning person and get to work at 6am)
2) I know that I am to hydrate before giving.
3) Should I ask them to draw only half of the normal amount of blood?

I've always had low blood pressure. Today, it was 90/70. I do not have any other conditions that would prevent me from giving.

I'm worried that I'm going to throw up or faint. (audience factor) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ALM2000; 01-30-2013 at 11:37 PM.
ALM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I have low blood pressure and I used to give no problem. However I went to Europe, and now there is some clause that if I was in Europe in '97 you can't give blood (I don't even want to know what I may have caught that they don't want!LOL)
They do ask you to sit for a bit, and they will offer you a juice and cookie when done if you feel light headed, so maybe pack a bar or one of the pre-made juices (mango drinks) or shakes so you can have it after if needed.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

Hey, I've given blood a couple of times though I haven't been able to in awhile due to piercings, tattoos and travelling. They should check your blood pressure and your iron levels prior to make sure that on that day at that time you are medically able to do it. Either of those times should work for you because you should be able to eat a proper meal before hand. I'd recommend eating a bit more than normal. They are pretty good with watching you to make sure you aren't going to pass out or throw up, especially on your first go.

I'd say go for it. It's an awesome way to give back, so many people need blood, it's pretty painless and takes hardly anytime.

Good luck.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #4  
Started IP on 10/2/2012

S/C/G: 166.2/108/105

Height: 5'2.5"

Thank you, both! Do you suggest I eat my "dinner" in the morning?
ALM2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #5  

Location: Okinawa, Japan (for now!) originally from the UK :-)

S/C/G: 279/254.4/135

Height: 5 foot 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I have low blood pressure and I used to give no problem. However I went to Europe, and now there is some clause that if I was in Europe in '97 you can't give blood (I don't even want to know what I may have caught that they don't want!LOL)
They do ask you to sit for a bit, and they will offer you a juice and cookie when done if you feel light headed, so maybe pack a bar or one of the pre-made juices (mango drinks) or shakes so you can have it after if needed.
Europe had a big outbreak in Mad Cow Disease. I'm from England but now live overseas (Husband is USAF) and I wanted to donate to a blood drive for The American Red Cross. I was so disappointed that I couldn't!
MrsO2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/198/150

Height: 5'8"

Yay for donating. Definitely eat before you go in. When they collect they recline your chair which makes it very difficult to faint. Just don't over think it and remember that your one donation can save 4 lives
Alohakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #7  
Started IP 1/7/13

S/C/G: 252/220/152

Height: 5'2"

If you do start to feel lightheaded, they will give you crackers or cookies and juice so you might want to bring a bar or IP approved snack if that happens. I used to give blood all the time, but one time they took it when my iron was borderline. I ended up getting sick, wasn't able to get better easy, so my doctor did blood work and found that my blood level was low. I think it was because they took blood when they shouldn't have. So I haven't been back in a while. I don't know if I would feel ok giving blood while on IP.
my31rewards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #8  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

There are restrictions on blood pressure and giving blood in the US. I have not been able to give for about 10 years now because of it. I average 90/50-60 and while on P1 I average even a little lower so they will tell you if you meet the mark or not.

Keep in mind they will want you to drink OJ or something similiar to boost your sugar after you give. I recommend taking a restricted item with you to replace it or a higher carb count drink (maybe the peach mango RTD?)

I'm sure you'll be fine having a drink in the AM with maybe a vegetable too? I spinach/vanilla RTD smoothie might be a good idea!

Good luck and I hope it all goes well!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote