Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

Default Cheated or not.....?

I don't know how to classify what happened. We were with a friend at IKEA buying stuff for my kid's room. We were two adults three kids and right around 4 in the afternoon i was famished. i made the mistake not to eat anything for lunch because i was in a hurry to move to the store, then we left two kids in the playground of IKEA and got the one remaining in hurry to shop quickly so we could get back to them. TWICE the IKEA phone rung telling me that my daughter wanted me (for stupid trivial reasons, but i had to walk through the WHOLE store to get to her again)....anyway i had my hands full so i didn't have my mind on eating. So on the exit there was a Hot dog/donut stand. The kids wanted fries, ice cream hot dogs....anything they could get their hands on (my ate only some ice cream, she is a very picky eater). When i went to buy them i saw the donuts and my friend instantly knew i wanted them. She went out and bought the package of four for me.......aaaahhhhhhhh........i binged on ONE single donut. I gulped it down like no tomorrow....i mean it!. When we reached home i distributed the remaining 3 because i knew that i would eat more soon.

I haven't eaten anything remotely sweet or binged that way for 2 weeks. That donut was not enough to make me gain the few i lost.....but i don't know if i should reset my ticker......what do you think? i have been straight as an arrow the rest of the days. I feel bad about the donut but i am happy it didn't bother my progression..........
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #2  

As long as you aren't on a program that restricts donuts (such as IP or one of those programs), chalk it up as a one day treat and account for the calories. It's definitely not enough to make you gain weight, it's only 1 donut (not that there isn't a lot of fat and calories, there is--but not enough to put weight on you).

That's happened to me in the past; now I know for myself I need to pack a bag of healthy stuff for the car ride/whole trip that are healthy and easy to eat as when I get famished, watch out lol! You actually did "good" compared to what I would have had at a hot dog stand while starving.

Eat a healthy dinner and get some water in; you'll feel better. Well, maybe except for the ball of dough in your stomach!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I'm not sure if I would classify having 1 donut as a binge. I know everybody defines binging differently. For me it would be a treat. I rarely allow myself such treats, I try to eat as healthy as possible, but sometimes I need some chocolate! If you had a couple more donuts, or polished off all 4 then I would classify it as a binge, but 1 is allowed, in my opinion at least.

Good luck!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

One donut isn't a binge no matter how you look at it. A binge would have been if you ate the donut, plus all three of the others, tried to stop eating but kept on all night no matter how much you tried to stop.

You did good!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #5  

Yes i suppose you guys are right, it's not a real binge, but the action of eating was very much binge like. I didn't even chew properly....i half gulped half shoved it down....i didn't even get to enjoy the damn thing I don't know if i am making any sense. It was not the quantity so much that bothered me, but the 'way' i ate it, that reminded me of my binge days......i felt so close to what i had been doing......

Last edited by Ellemphriem; 01-30-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

To my mind, a binge is any uncontrolled eating episode where your mind shuts off and you shove the food down, virtually without tasting it. It's the lack of control that is important, not the number of donuts or the number of calories. A binge is a lot more about the way it feels than anything else.

Figure out what triggered it and learn from it. Was it the lack of lunch, was it that your kid drove you nuts, was it the sense that Ikea's forced march through the store in only a forwardly direction is the stupidest thing in the world? Think about how you can avoid the same situations in future and move on.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you need to change your ticker. As long as that 1 donut isn't a slippery slope to more...
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #8  
Determined

S/C/G: 227/207/125

Height: 5' 4''

I think what you should focus on is that you stopped. You had four donuts and you only ate one, that is a success! You may have eaten it too fast to enjoy it, but next time you can work on telling yourself it is ok to eat one, then you can chew slowly and enjoy the taste. You took the the first step of being able to stop yourself before going too far, now you can move on to the next step of allowing your to slow down and take the time to enjoy an occasional treat.
Devoncroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #9  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

I agree that this is really more of a success story. I get that it was scary to eat in a binge manner. But you STOPPED. That is a very big deal and you need to be proud of yourself. You now know that you can have something like a donut and still be in control and stop at one, not 2 or 4.

I also agree that this is a learning opportunity about what not to do in terms of putting yourself in a situation where hunger meets temptation and temptation wins. Is there some kind of on plan snack that you can keep with you, just in case? Or have some pre-packed foods ready to grab - even if you were in a rush to get out of the house, you can grab your little baggie and snack in the car.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #10  

Height: 5'4

At the risk of sounding like an *** (and I deal with BED so I'm not insensitive to that) don't you think you might be overreacting? You didn't prepare yourself and were STARVING, and you quickly ate one doughnut and then went on about your day.

Thats just called life!

Would it have been different if you had scarfed down a 200 calorie meal replacement bar instead of a 200 calorie doughnut?
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

U didn't eat lunch...1 donut
just count the donut as lunch
binge? not even at all o_O
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #12  

Guys please.....i was not referring to the quantity i ate....i was referring to the 'way' i did it, which was similar if not THE SAME with when i was binging. It might have been just one donut but it shows i am prone to huge errors. I had been dealing with night eating/binging for 4 bleeding years now, since i gave birth and my marriage went down the drain......i never had such issues. I used to be an athlete once upon a happy lifetime with envied body fat. I cannot deal with myself right now. I am fighting, so yes when i consume in such oblivion something i have been trying to avoid for two weeks i am not overreacting. I am in a sensitive period in my life......which i cannot expect to be fully understood of course. Some people understood what i meant and that's more than enough for me Anyhow thank you for any feedback.

PS: Decided not to zero my ticker, because it is going to drag me down with it.....

Last edited by Ellemphriem; 01-31-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Not necessary to change your ticker, look on this as a lesson learned and move forward.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #14  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I wouldn't consider a single donut a "binge." Just even it out with healthier foods for the rest of the day.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Not necessary to change your ticker, look on this as a lesson learned and move forward.
I agree!!

I apologize that I didn't reply originally like you binged as that never occurred to me! I just assumed you ate a donut quickly as you were hungry and the kids were hungry, etc. etc!! And I was admiring you for only eating the 1! Usually I don't worry about the 4 until they are already in my belly.

Even after reading all the replies, I still don't see it as a binge but more of a reminder that we all need to consciously plan snack/meals when we can.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote