Weight Loss Support - Resisting workplace temptation success!

Silverfire
01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Stupid work, stupid coworkers thinking its necessary to reward with donuts all the time!

While I appreciate the sentiment. I don't want any damn donuts! I have managed to walk past the mondo box of donuts 4 times without giving in... I am having some almonds, pumpkin seeds and crasins instead.

Screw you donuts. I don't need you!

How do you guys deal with those kinds of temptations?

novangel
01-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I have an office that feels it's necessary to throw a buffet every time the wind blows and then wonder why they can't lose weight. They insist it's because they're over 50 and "there's nothing wrong with indulging once in a while"....well it's way more than once in a while at my job and BS that they can't lose weight past 50. It's their body, not mine. I've gotten better about ignoring the food.

Co-irkers get on my nerves.

RavenWolf
01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
I am not working, but I do have a volunteer position that I go to meetings for.

Our meetings ALWAYS involve pizza, sodas, and cookies! That is it! Nothing else. So as soon as they pass out plates, I decline. No plate, and I don't reach for the pizza in front of me.

I bring my own drink, so the soda is off the menu.

I think next time, I am going to bring a healthy snack with me, so I'm not th only one "not" eating.

Good for you for passing up those donuts...repeatedly! Will power!

berryblondeboys
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Yep, it's hard. And having your own snacks was a good idea!

LebenAlles
01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
I completely and utterly hear you on this one. I've heard the word 'donut' at least 10 times today. And this is from the same woman who is a freaking martha stewart with cakes, pies, dips, and cupcakes. She brings something in at LEAST twice a week, and goes on and on about what is in it (always twelve gallons of butter and a carton of sugar) and everyone drools and walks around eating it. The guy behind me gets either fried chicken or pizza EVERY DAY and eats it at his desk. The fried chicken smells gross, but of course the pizza smells delicious. Not to mention the food days we have once every few weeks.

I totally freakin hear you on this. It's gotten to be a lot easier to resist because now it's almost a joke. It's like...are you serious?? Am I on candid camera?

Okay...im off my soap box. but yeah...im there with you...

LaurieDawn
01-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Yep. It's the worst. I don't bring that stuff into my house, and I can usually pass it up at a meeting or event without issue, but I have a problem with it being constantly available... constantly calling me while I am trying to work and can't either escape from the office or toss them in the trash.

I am on a mission to achieve Onederland - FINALLY. So, I just printed out a sheet that says nothing but the number "199" in font large enough to cover the whole page, put one up in my office, and one up on the office fridge. (So far, no one has asked about it, but I don't care if they do.) When I walked into the kitchen this morning to make my herbal tea, I saw the plate of cookies to the left and my big "199" sign to my right. It helped. But, I admit, I did have a single bite of a single cookie as I was making my lunch. (I used a knife to cut it -- No, I am not "that" coworker. ;-)) I promise. If I have to go in there and see the cookies again, I will surreptitiously toss them. Because whether I eat them or throw them away, they're not available to others, right? Right? Hmm... Maybe I am "that" coworker.

Psychic
01-29-2013, 03:27 PM
I work for a school, so anytime students aren't there or if its near the holidays, there is always junk food everywhere. Luckily, they tend to offer coffee and fruit as well, so I usually grab a cup of coffee and an orange.

berryblondeboys
01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
. I've heard the word 'donut' at least 10 times today. And this is from the same woman who is a freaking martha stewart with cakes, pies, dips, and cupcakes. She brings something in at LEAST twice a week, and goes on and on about what is in it (always twelve gallons of butter and a carton of sugar) and everyone drools and walks around eating it.

The irony? I'm a martha stewart of cakes and cookies and such and I make them quite a bit. I just don't eat them. She probably brings them in to get them out of HER house!

novangel
01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
She brings something in at LEAST twice a week, and goes on and on about what is in it (always twelve gallons of butter and a carton of sugar) and everyone drools and walks around eating it. The guy behind me gets either fried chicken or pizza EVERY DAY and eats it at his desk.

Gross.

Our office manager (I'll use the term "manager" loosely since she does a little more than Facebook all day) is in her 60's and on her 3rd heart attack. The docs have told her she needs to be on a very strict diet, you'd think she would listen. I would be terrified.

Silverfire
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Everything revolves around food at this place. We have a large number of Filipino's here and they are notorious for bringing the most ridiculous amounts of food, and they are always so generous. Sometimes I feel bad turning them down, when they are clearly very excited to share with you! But every week they are carting trays and trays of food to the lunchroom, because its someones birthday, someones last day, someone picked their nose....! It's just crazy!

All of the reward systems are food based! Build this many things and you get donuts, complete this project on time and we will have a pot luck. Monthly BBQ's complete with build your own sundae bars! A calorie counters nightmare!

I am lucky to have changed positions recently or I would have been stuck manning the candy cart again! To raise money for *insert cause of the month here* we will buy oodles and oodles of candy, chips, pop and whatever else. I used to be the lucky one in charge of buying, stocking and pushing that damned cart around!! While the pushing the cart around was good exercise, the constant noshing on the cart contents was NOT! Finally after a few health conscious people complained, we started stocking fruit and low cal snacks.

I will hang out in my cube with my bottle of water and bag of nuts and seeds and not be tempted anymore!!!

novangel
01-29-2013, 04:02 PM
All of the reward systems are food based!

That's the problem today. Everything revolves around food and/or alcohol.

krampus
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
I read things like this and can't believe it's real. I work at a nonprofit and people sometimes put baked goods downstairs and there was a tray of sweets the day before Christmas, but I guess here there are more people with restricted diets/allergies/vegans than "average."

chubbiegurl
01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
I managed an autoparts store for years, when I finally got an office job I couldn't believe that all I had heard about sweets being brought in was true. Someones wife was always sending lasagna or enchillada. My coworkers always brought donuts and sweet coffees. Unfortunately at the start of that job I was 130 but hit 155 by the end of my year there. Kudos for not giving in.

CherryPie99
01-29-2013, 04:18 PM
One of my HUGE problems is FREE FOOD - I know that it's insane, but I feel like I'm getting STOLEN from or something if there is food around that's free and I don't eat it.

I have curbed that with food like Little Debbie snacks and other processed crap because I can't even stand that stuff now. But fresh baked good are a whole other issue.

Fortunately, what's laying around most of the time are crappy powdered donuts from local gas stations or the processed stuff...

Skellig19
01-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty competitive with myself so I make a list of all the crap my co-workers bring in and see how long I can get the list before I give in and take a piece. It got so long last year that I had to start another sheet. At least I have zero temptation for packaged stuff. Homebaked on the other hand... I was so angry they kept buying sugar for our office this past Christmas, I bought a box of mandarin oranges and replaced the sugary snacks with them.

It's just constant food food food food at my office and then they all complain about how unhealthy they are being and yet do nothing about it!

KellinaKatrina
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty competitive with myself so I make a list of all the crap my co-workers bring in and see how long I can get the list before I give in and take a piece. It got so long last year that I had to start another sheet.

I love this idea! and am so stealing it!

The ex-wife of one of my co-workers works for Little Debbie (and Pepperidge Farm!!) and brings in a couple of boxes stuffed with recently out of date goodies for the guys (I work in a collision center) every 2 weeks or so. I've had a handful of goldfish and 1 Oreo in recent memory.

Then the boss man orders in pizza and gets upset when I don't eat any... even though he knows I'm on WW and have been since September.:no:

Vex
01-29-2013, 09:23 PM
To be honest, if there's donuts, and I really want one, I have it. Usually it's pretty early in the day and can adjust for the calories in it.

I understand though, there's constantly food around our office. Just today there were donuts, fruit, muffins, etc. for a meeting. I grabbed a banana and went back to my desk.

To me, it really is ok to have something once in awhile. I think it makes it easier to stay on plan in general. Just don't have a lot of it, every day.

HungryHungryHippo
01-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Sometimes, when the allure is really bad, I have to imagine that I'm eating them, and it's not what I was thinking they would be. It's like sawdust. And I imagine eating sawdust--or something equally awful.

LebenAlles
01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
The funny thing is, that not an hour went by after I posted this that I got a group mail from one of my coworkers announcing 'dip day' for friday in honor of the super bowl. The rest of the day was filled with the people around me talking about the dips they would make, showing me pictures of the dips on their phones from pinterest...so far we have a buffalo chicken dip, a pizza dip, a seven layer dip, and a funfetti cupcake dip. Yes. Cupcake dip. It really is hysterical.

I will give one of my old managers props...for my birthday last june, he took a watermelon, carved it out in the shape of a whale, and then stuffed it with tons of fresh fruit. It was lovely. But in my new area, I haven't seen a single piece of fruit in the seven months since I've been over here.

I think I might try that coworker list as well. The Martha Steward lady will be on there the most, I'm quite sure. And you're right BerryBlonde, she is trying to get it out of her house. She had gastric bypass a year or two ago, so she can't enjoy it much anymore. I too have a love for cooking (my partner is more of the baker) and completely understand...I just wish she sucked at baking instead of rocked at it...

Silverfire
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm pretty competitive with myself so I make a list of all the crap my co-workers bring in and see how long I can get the list before I give in and take a piece. It got so long last year that I had to start another sheet.

That is an awesome idea and I am totally going to do it next time! A nice visual representation of willpower success!

Silverfire
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
The funny thing is, that not an hour went by after I posted this that I got a group mail from one of my coworkers announcing 'dip day' for friday in honor of the super bowl. The rest of the day was filled with the people around me talking about the dips they would make, showing me pictures of the dips on their phones from pinterest...so far we have a buffalo chicken dip, a pizza dip, a seven layer dip, and a funfetti cupcake dip. Yes. Cupcake dip. It really is hysterical.

I will give one of my old managers props...for my birthday last june, he took a watermelon, carved it out in the shape of a whale, and then stuffed it with tons of fresh fruit. It was lovely. But in my new area, I haven't seen a single piece of fruit in the seven months since I've been over here.

Superbowl parties... Just another excuse to eat crap. (I have never cared for football in general or Superbowl parties :) ) I understand that celebrating with food is fun, but why is it that so many people insist on making the least healthful foods they can possibly find? Whats wrong with fruit and veggie trays I ask?!?!?!

That watermelon fruit whale sounds totally awesome btw :)

Hotaruchan
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
I would chart a course the long way around the office so that I wouldn't have to walk past the donut box :p More steps, and I'm easily distracted enough that the "out of sight, out of mind" thing tends to work reasonably well for me.

Option 2 would be to tell myself "you can have a donut after lunch," and put it off. Chances are that either A) everyone else will have eaten the donuts by that point, B) I'll manage to forget about them, C) I won't actually want one after lunch or D) I'll have one donut in the afternoon and keep that in mind when planning dinner later. Honestly A or B seem like the most likely options in that scenario...again with the attention span thing...

Mara
01-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Co-irkers get on my nerves.

I love this term! lol

ChickieBoom
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
We're having a pre Super Bowl happy hour here too. They'll have wings and nachos and other foods that I don't eat but it doesn't really bother me. I bring my own lunch every day and I'll usually bring a cup of coffee to one of our many birthday parties. I'm usually grateful for the break to get away from my desk for a few minutes.

betsy2013
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
It's the same in every workplace. Funny story to share. I was managing a large project and we had hired some technical consultants to help with the conversion. I lived in Winston-Salem, NC which is the home of Krispy Kreme donuts. The consultants went out to eat every night and on their way back to their motel they would swing through the Krispy Kreme drive through and buy a dozen. One time they got stuck in the exit lane after getting their box of donuts and ate them all before leaving the parking lot, so they went back through to get another dozen. They left after 6 weeks on the job. Between the eating out every night and the four of them going through a dozen donuts a day, they all had gained between 15-25 pounds. They had to come back for another 6 week stint and this time they insisted that their company house them at an extended stay facility so they could cook some meals!

Flowers
01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Self discipline is the word here, temptations are all over but if you are strong you can excel even where the wittiest have failed. You need not even carry your own snacks when going for the meetings. Let them eat what they eat and you do what you think is good for your body.

elvislover324
01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
This might sound rude but....I will say it anyways. When people bring in food from home, it actually creeps me out 9 times out of 10. I am neurotic about being clean in my kitchen and my food prep (to a fault even) and I know others aren't like that. That thought in my head keeps me away from any homemade goods unless I personally know and have been to the person's house (you'd be amazed at how some people live, regardless of their perfect hair or fancy car).

I used to work with this woman who made all kinds of baked goods and they always really smelled and looked really good. She used to bring them in this old stained Tupperware container that was probably clean and just overused from all the baking she did but the presentation was disgusting! It never stopped the scroungers who flocked to the lunchroom to inhale the stuff though. These days you can even get a nice container at the dollar store! I guess she was never afraid to not get her brandname container back as who would want it!

I saved so many calories overthinking about the food that was made for parties. And commercial storemade treats never tempt me anymore!

berryblondeboys
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
This might sound rude but....I will say it anyways. When people bring in food from home, it actually creeps me out 9 times out of 10. I am neurotic about being clean in my kitchen and my food prep (to a fault even) and I know others aren't like that. That thought in my head keeps me away from any homemade goods unless I personally know and have been to the person's house (you'd be amazed at how some people live, regardless of their perfect hair or fancy car).

I used to work with this woman who made all kinds of baked goods and they always really smelled and looked really good. She used to bring them in this old stained Tupperware container that was probably clean and just overused from all the baking she did but the presentation was disgusting! It never stopped the scroungers who flocked to the lunchroom to inhale the stuff though. These days you can even get a nice container at the dollar store! I guess she was never afraid to not get her brandname container back as who would want it!

I saved so many calories overthinking about the food that was made for parties. And commercial storemade treats never tempt me anymore!

My MIL is like this. Her whole life she would only eat at home. She hates eating out or at anyone's home as she can't be sure it's clean. She won't even take grocery store samples.

So, she's great fun at potlucks. She'll eat what I brought and that's it. Whe she goes out with friends for coffee and some lunch, she'll eat at home first.

While I understand it to a point, it's excessive. Especially with HOT food.

Now, I do pride myself on having a very clean and safe working kitchen space. I don't even like to use the same knives for meats versus veggies (and I don't use the same knives). And yes, different cutting boards too. I only allow meats on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator (to prevent any drips onto something else) and I'm anal about how my grocery bags are packed - no meat and fresh produce together please!

So, I understand being anal about it, but when it interferes with life (as it does with my MIL) then it's more than just choosing to skip it. It's part of an unreasonable fear.

ichoose2believe
01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
I work on a college campus and there is ALWAYS stuff here. Just yesterday someone made homemade brownies. Its a huge cake for someones birthday or baby shower. We have tacos and other "goodies" at our monthly meeting. When the new gas station giant Buckees opened someone went and brought back 24 huge bags of candies and other snacks... we had stuff on the table for 3 days.
Oh and not only do they bring stuff its also lets go get stuff...
I have 2 Starbucks, Chickfila, 2 Subways, Burger King, Taco Cabana, Chilis, Pita Express, Panda Express and 2 regular cafeterias all within a 3 minute walk from my desk in any direction. *sigh* I know how you feel.

elvislover324
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
My MIL is like this. Her whole life she would only eat at home. She hates eating out or at anyone's home as she can't be sure it's clean. She won't even take grocery store samples.

So, she's great fun at potlucks. She'll eat what I brought and that's it. Whe she goes out with friends for coffee and some lunch, she'll eat at home first.

While I understand it to a point, it's excessive. Especially with HOT food.

Now, I do pride myself on having a very clean and safe working kitchen space. I don't even like to use the same knives for meats versus veggies (and I don't use the same knives). And yes, different cutting boards too. I only allow meats on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator (to prevent any drips onto something else) and I'm anal about how my grocery bags are packed - no meat and fresh produce together please!

So, I understand being anal about it, but when it interferes with life (as it does with my MIL) then it's more than just choosing to skip it. It's part of an unreasonable fear.

I'm not THAT bad but maybe by the time I get to your MIL's age I might be!!!

And with some people, you can just tell. Based on your description, I think I'd eat at your house lolololol!

KellinaKatrina
01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
and a funfetti cupcake dip. Yes. Cupcake dip. It really is hysterical.

This is just an fyi, it's actually REALLY, REALLY good and not too bad if you control the recipe. It's a tub of cool whip, a large container of vanilla yogurt, and a funfetti cake mix. I've made it with the fat free versions of both the cool whip and yogurt and its delicious on apple slices (or any fruit) and animal crackers. The problem is the huge vat it leaves you with if you're alone and it's addicting. My best friend made it for her 1 year olds Muppet themed birthday party.

LebenAlles
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
This is just an fyi, it's actually REALLY, REALLY good and not too bad if you control the recipe. It's a tub of cool whip, a large container of vanilla yogurt, and a funfetti cake mix. I've made it with the fat free versions of both the cool whip and yogurt and its delicious on apple slices (or any fruit) and animal crackers. The problem is the huge vat it leaves you with if you're alone and it's addicting. My best friend made it for her 1 year olds Muppet themed birthday party.

Oh I have no doubt, it sounds delicious. And the person making it actually told me the calories, and it's not terrible. My problem is, if I start in on sweets more than a few pieces of dark chocolate, this sugar monster takes ahold of me and I cannot seem to get enough. I can resist chips and dip and all that mess all day long, but freakin sweets are like crack for me. That's one good thing about the stuff being at work. You have to walk by a line of people to get to the mess, so it gives you even more self-awareness about what you're doing. Fun times.

KellinaKatrina
01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Oh I have no doubt, it sounds delicious. And the person making it actually told me the calories, and it's not terrible. My problem is, if I start in on sweets more than a few pieces of dark chocolate, this sugar monster takes ahold of me and I cannot seem to get enough. I can resist chips and dip and all that mess all day long, but freakin sweets are like crack for me. That's one good thing about the stuff being at work. You have to walk by a line of people to get to the mess, so it gives you even more self-awareness about what you're doing. Fun times.

Understood. :) It's the reason I fill my sweet cravings with Skinny Cow type products, one batch of skinnytaste desserts is enough to feed an army... or me on a binging mission.

Avezy44
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
My work celebrates holidays and does a birthday party once a month but a lot of the older ladies like bringing in food for everyone (one brought in cupcakes last night). I usually just pretend the food isn't there and hide away in my cube. lol

Silverfire
01-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Since we had been talking about Superbowl food and how its mostly terrible for you... The Berry posted this today. Thought I would share :)

http://theberry.com/2013/01/31/reduced-guilt-game-day-snacks-16-photos-recipes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedburner%2FtheBERRY+%28theB ERRY%29

Long link, but will take you to a page with Superbowl snack ideas that are far less horrible for you :)

Silverfire
02-19-2013, 02:43 PM
I resisted!!! I did NOT buy anything from the bake sale cart (Its for a good cause, but my health is a FAR better cause) AND I did NOT eat the banana bread that a coworker brought for me. Instead I sealed it up right away (so I couldn't smell it) and shoved it in my lunch bag to take home to my boyfriend.

It's weight loss competition crunch time. I am tied for 2nd place at the moment and the leader has 3lbs to go (She did not resist the baked goods, and was the one who brought the banana bread... I smell sabotage! lol)

I don't feel deprived, I feel good about not giving in to temptation!!!!

schubunny
02-19-2013, 02:56 PM
My workplace is terrible for this. The same as everyone mentioned -potlucks at the drop of a hat. Or they just buy junk and bring it in. Mostly everyone in the office is overweight. You hear about them promoting health and safety but then do this, I don't get it!

I had a piece of cake the other day and had trouble finishing it. The stuff kind of sickens me now. They bring in cake about once a week :(

Silverfire
02-19-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't get it either. One time my work tried to bring in a fruit and veggie try for a reward. That didn't go over well and they haven't done that since! We have a gym at our work that is available for everyone to use anytime, and there is maybe a total of 6 people who use it. (Granted I am NOT one of those 6) I don't feel comfortable working out at work...:lol:

I don't NEED sweets and chocolate and whatnot. Sometimes I do want it. But not because you try to guilt me into it.

Its funny now that I just said that, I realize that I was HORRIBLE for guilting people into buying junk! It used to be part of my job to take around the "candy cart" to everyone at work to raise money for the charity of the month. I was really good at it, I could be very persuasive. I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore... Kinda feel like a hypocrite now :(

PreciousMissy
02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Right now in my office, for no good reason, there are a dozen homemade cookies, two dozen store bought cookies, and a pound of mixed candy. Plus tomorrow is our monthly cake day...and I'm in charge of buying the cakes. My strategy is going to be to buy cakes I don't like ;)

schubunny
02-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Right now in my office, for no good reason, there are a dozen homemade cookies, two dozen store bought cookies, and a pound of mixed candy. Plus tomorrow is our monthly cake day...and I'm in charge of buying the cakes. My strategy is going to be to buy cakes I don't like ;)

Your job has a monthly cake day? What the heck lol They don't make a better excuse to eat cake? Like someones birthday, or someone is going on vacation, etc...

Say you're going to buy cakes but come in with a bunch of veggies strategically shaped as cakes.:devil:

Pink Hurricane
02-19-2013, 11:00 PM
That is definitely a hard thing to deal with, which is something I deal with at work A LOT. One thing that has started helping me recently to resist is bringing my own snacks that keep me satisfied, drinking more water, and just reminding myself why I am doing this. Every now and then I will have a treat at work and be sure to record it, but other than that it starts getting a little easier each time I resist. It's a big mental game for me!