Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Jan 28 - Feb 3

BillBlueEyes
01-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Can't complain - the only shoveling of snow this week was to sweep away one light dusting from the sidewalks. Just haven't had much snow. I'm beginning to miss it.

Cookies appeared in my life on four separate occasions yesterday. That might be a record. Everywhere I went, there were cookies. It felt like the cookie gods did a blitz attack. Maybe it's because I'm aware that the Girl Scouts are out selling cookies now. I need to learn to say, "I'm allergic to cookies" with a straight face.

Mudpie
01-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Bill It's so hard to say no to kids selling products for a good cause. Too bad they can't just accept a donation in the amount of what a box of cookies would cost.

I am going to be out in freezing rain mixed with ice pellets this morning. And hallelujah it's then changing to rain in the p.m. I should not read the weather forecast the day before - I was up at 2 a.m. :tired: because I'm so anxious :eek: at having to weather this day. I drive up and down hills all day.

And the scale was not good this morning either. Monday - bleagh! :(

Dagmar :faint:

bargoo
01-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Ah, Bill.......bring on the Thin Mints.

alinnell
01-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I think I made it through last year without buying GSC and I think I can do it again this year. The cookies are not good enough to justify the price.

We had a really low-key weekend. The weather didn't really allow golf like we had planned so we stayed in and napped each afternoon. We didn't even go see a movie, but that was because Django Unchained didn't have a convenient time to go see it. I think the extra sleep has helped rid us both of our colds, so it's all good.

Sheila53
01-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Dagmar, they can accept a donation for the price of a box of cookies (or more). That's what I do when I see them selling cookies in front of the store. Several years ago they couldn't (don't know why), but they do now.

Bill, beginning to miss snow. That's a concept I can't wrap my head around.

Allison, glad you're feeling better.

Can we bring the flooring discussion over here? I get confused as to the difference between the two threads?? Anyway, someone mentioned they got a Marmoleum floor, and it's smeary. We're remodeling the kitchen in our rental (aka our retirement home), and I'm really stuck as to flooring. First I thought cork because I want something soft and easy-to-clean, then a flooring guy said it will "cup" around areas like the sink where water gets on it and isn't cleaned up right away. Then I looked at the Marmoleum click because I want to be able to replace one tile if something damages a section (that has happened frequently). I know I don't want tile because it's too hard, and I don't want hardwood because I've seen what a leaky dishwasher and a leaky frig water line can do. So. . .any suggestions?

traveling michele
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Bill It's so hard to say no to kids selling products for a good cause. Too bad they can't just accept a donation in the amount of what a box of cookies would cost.

Dagmar :faint:

You can usually buy a box to donate to the troops overseas-- just ask....

I am in the midst of the cold. I'm at the point where my voice is leaving.... doesn't work well when I read stories all day to children. However, today is staff development so no kids are here. I'm praying that the staff leaves me alone to get my work done. They are having a "free" box lunch that I did not partake in.

I was excited because dh came home Saturday night and I thought he'd be here for awhile. Then I realized he is at meetings all week that are just far enough away that he is expected to stay in the hotel so I don't know if I'll see him at all. If I felt better and I didn't have to work, I might join him in the hotel for a night (and we didn't have a crew of animals)....

Sunday (super bowl) is his 50th birthday. We are going to Napa Saturday to return Sunday well in time for the game. I'm looking forward to it. I need to kick my cold by then and stick OP this week to give me some room to indulge this weekend.

I put on my "skinny" jeans yesterday and they were snug but they fit. :carrot:

Megan1982
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Morning all,

I had a really fun girls' night Saturday making sushi with my girlfriends. Of course I need to balance that by walking the straight and narrow food-wise for a few days. I secretly like to invite people over because it forces me to clean my house. I only dust before sushi nights and parents visits, about 3x per year.

The snowbirds have arrived on the FL coast. And with snowbirds come their friendly, love-to-play dogs to the beaches. I feel like I'm committing some crime. I troll the beaches looking for playmates for my dog. Then I act like it's a total coincidence when I meet a visitor and their furry friend. I ask innocently, "Oh, is your dog friendly? Should we let them off the leashes to play?" As if I haven't said these words 3 times that day already. And then I encourage them to run, run, and when their dog is tired out, clip back up to my dog and move down the beach to find our next victim. Ah, playmate. Saturday and Sunday mornings you can find us at the beach.

I tell the GSs "I'm allergic to sugar" without qualms. I'll tell anyone anything to get them to stop pushing processed sugar and alcohol on me (somehow the lies work better than the truthful "I'm trying to watch what I eat" etc). I have been known to main line a sleeve of thin mints in one sitting. Best I stay away entirely.

Allison, glad you're feeling better. I'm sure it was nice to relax at home, too, now that you have your house to yourselves again.

Dagmar, stay safe out there!

Have a good week everyone.

saef
01-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, I got the job.

My manager called me early Friday afternoon and offered it, and I accepted it. So I'll move up into the managerial class, and will be supervising maybe five people. And I will get a raise of 5%, which I can certainly use, because the monthly maintenance charge has gone up at my apartment complex in the wake of the flood, my flood insurance has gone up, and we'll have a surcharge to pay every month for construction of the flood wall, should that be approved by the Zoning Board in a few weeks' time.

You'd think I'd be happy, right? I was light-headed for a moment and then, almost immediately, deeply anxious. So anxious that I stayed very close to home all weekend, and did not go downtown on Sunday as I'd planned, but instead stayed in, making soup, baking muffins, scrubbing the bathroom floor, watching bad TV.

Hard to explain this, but I'll try: It feels like my reward for excelling will be that I'll be asked to do even harder things, and I feel pressure to excel at that, and what if I can't? What if I screw it up?

And still, yes, some part of me is happy that my on my third try for a management job, I finally made it. But now I feel unqualified, like, oh boy, I'd better go out & get educated on handling people. I definitely feel like I need a stack of books from the business section. There has to be some sort of Management for Dummies or My First Management Job, right?

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Ah, Girl Scout cookies. I love them. I almost made it without buying any last year, but then as I was bringing a friend home from the hospital where he had his appendix removed he wanted to stop and buy some from a table in front of the CVS. I couldn't handle the peer pressure. As several boxes are still unfinished on the counter in the kitchen I may have to just not buy any this year.

Sheila, I know nothing about flooring. I do know I don't like the hardwoods I have, and my tile is kind of meh. If you find a good solution for your kitchen I may look at it to replace mine. :)

Bill - I thought about your comment about not needing a freezer as my chest freezer was delivered yesterday. I remember on those rare occasions with lots of snow we would put sodas and other items outside. Can't do that here now so much.

Allison - I'm glad that you are kicking your cold!

Dagmar - stay safe in the weather today.

I made it through this weekend only .2 above what I weighed on Friday. I feel pretty good about that. I'm retaining some water in sore muscles and had some salty soup later in the evening last night, so I'm hoping for some kind of whoosh soon. I've been eating between 1100-1500 calories most every day for a month now and am averaging 1500 for the last month even with a couple of high days, with a maintenance level of 1800 something should be moving downward soon! LOL

traveling michele
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Woo hoo Saef!!!! Congratulations! It is normal to feel trepidations but you are entirely qualified and will excel in your new endeavor! Kudos!

ChrisMohr
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Hi gang,
No Girl Scout cookies for me. Can't eat just one.
Had a bad week last week, so this week I won't weigh myself for a few days. The deal is in exchange for a break from the scale (which today would depress me) I have to eat well again. Really well. By Wednesday or Thursday I will re-weigh and be back on track. Another part of the deal is that if I DON'T get back on track I have to weigh myself daily, no exceptions. I can accept a winter weight five or six pounds abiove my summer weight, but I can't accept this gradual creeping up of my weight beyond that! Another part of the deal is to tell you all I'm having a rough go of it and knowing someone is reading this.

bargoo
01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Congratulations, saef ! You deserve a promotion and I know you will be doing a superb job in your new position. Do not feel unqualified, they would not have offered you the job if you were not the best qualified person applying.

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I missed three posts while I was working on mine.

Michele - high five on the skinny jeans! Hope the cold is gone by Sunday. :)

Megan - I find when I tell people I'm watching what I'm eating I tend to end up just being handed more food with a 'you can handle just one'. Allergic to sugar would work so much better. LOL

Saef - congratulations on the job! I understand the anxiety - supervising people makes everything just a little different. There are books on it, I've read several. I'll look on my shelf when I get home and put up the titles of any that were helpful. You won't screw this up - you are good at what you do, and that will show to the people that you are supervising.

saef
01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
I can accept a winter weight five or six pounds abiove my summer weight, but I can't accept this gradual creeping up of my weight beyond that!

I've had the concept of "winter weight" on my brain lately, as checking my journal shows me that I tend to gain weight in late December and then lose it come April. It's not looking like holiday pounds, as I do not overindulge at Christmas, since I abstain completely from all goodies whatsoever. But I tend to overeat on healthy foods & at mealtimes during that season. And yes, that gain always makes me believe that my life as I've come to know & love it is ending, that it's going to gradually creep up. That fear is the only way that I keep that gain at five pounds.

But Chris ... what happened this past week? What have you been doing differently? Do tell. If you had a do-over for the past week, what different choices would you make.

krampus
01-28-2013, 11:51 AM
I saw a number under 122 yesterday after the gym. Now I feel like a failure because I'm somewhat closer to "normal" today - my appetite is raging because HELLO I've been at a steep deficit for a week. Numbers, scales, mind games.

Congrats on the job saef! I think feeling qualified for a promotion is kind of like feeling like an "adult" - no one ever wakes up and goes "I am a responsible adult and totally ready," you just learn as you go along.

Ishbel
01-28-2013, 12:23 PM
saef YAY on the job, you won't screw up...because you care enough to worry that you'll screw up...you won't. VIP has been listening to pod casts on leadership for years (listening while doing a reno instead of the radio). I think it's called "manager-tools.com". I've listened to it while we've been driving and it's not bad.

Megan1982 "Allergic to sugar" is a good line...many of my girlfriends already know that I 'was' pre-diabetic so saying 'no' makes them listen. It helps that I work with a ton of uber fit or health consicious people that when I say 'no' they listen too. I've had the 'food pushers' and I usually say "I heard about people like you at my TOPS group!"...they'll laugh but they back off :)

We were just talking about chocoholics at work this morning, a few people I know can have a teeny tiny bit but I can't start. Before I couldn't have it in the house, now if I just don't start it I'm fine. Eating all the girl guide cookies (or at least all the chocolate ones) has been known to happen in my house!

Just getting over a sinus infection...looking forward to being over it so I can go outside and enjoy some winter activities. Hoping to go cross country skiing this coming weekend.

Megan1982
01-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Saef, congratulations! The number of new hires that you mention being given to train, in addition to your obvious work ethic and the amount of time you dedicate to your job, makes me think this promotion is long overdue. You've probably been doing a lot of this new position for a long time, without the title and additional pay. Also you seem to have good communication skills. From my posts last week I'm sure you know that I believe communication is the start, middle, and end to successful professional relationships. You'll do great. Kudos! :carrot:

paperclippy
01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Saef, congratulations! I'm sure you will do fine with the new job. There are lots of books out there about how to manage people. If you know someone who is a manager and whose style you like, ask them for recommendations.

Megan, I love your technique with the doggie playmates on the beach. Great way to get your pup lots of exercise!

Speaking of winter weights, I think Carter has gained some weight. He begs for more food in the winter so we've been giving him a little extra to get him to stop begging (I know, I know, reinforcement, etc.). We had our cooking club over yesterday and someone commented that Carter looked heavier, so now we're just giving him green beans if he wants more food. I'm afraid of him getting heavy again because I think it contributed to his back injury.

Dagmar, you must have gotten the ice/freezing rain that passed us up over the weekend. We were supposed to get freezing rain yesterday but lucky for us it warmed up enough to just be regular rain.

Re: Girl Scout cookies, the sign-up sheets have appeared at work. I have a rule that I will not buy girl scout cookies unless an actual girl scout conducts the transaction! So unless I happen to come across boothers or someone comes door-to-door, there will be no cookies for us. We almost never get door-to-door girl scouts and I almost never see boothers, so we'll probably be safe.

Re: the budgeting discussion (was that last week's thread?) -- I've never really created budgets for myself, but my parents taught me that the only acceptable way to use a credit card was to pay off your balance in full each month, so I never spend more than I can pay off right away. We will need to be much more careful about budgeting once the kids arrive and DH quits his job, because it is basically going to cut our income by a little over 50%. It's probably time for me to invest in budgeting software (or hey, get DH to write some to keep up his skills while staying home with the kids).

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Jessica - I use Quicken to track my bank accounts, credit cards, student loan, mortgage, etc. They have some pretty good budgeting and payoff features in there, and with the 2013 version they have a tablet app that is supposed to be fantastic. I don't use the budgeting part much though, I've done my best work on those with spreadsheets I've created. I know people who use the Quicken budget though and love it.

alinnell
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Congratulations, saef! I'm sure you'll do just fine. However, the worst part is when you have to reprimand or fire an employee.

I never really budgeted. Back when the kids were little, the priority was to make sure we were fed, clothed and housed regardless of how much I had to charge on credit cards. We did end up with a lot of debt but nowhere near where my neighbor was (they had to take out a second mortgage to pay off their credit cards). These days I pay off everything every month (except for mortgages). I remember using the "convenience checks" from one credit card to pay off another credit card. So glad I don't need to do that any more!

SLC had freezing rain last week that ended up closing the airport for several hours. Have I said lately how happy I am that I don't live where it is cold? Yeah, that!

I was just informed that next Sunday we won't have the in-laws for dinner as they are getting together with other friends for a Superbowl party. I guess that means I don't have to do any special finger foods, which is a bonus in my book! I envision an afternoon nap!

Jessica~how long does your DH intend to stay home with the girls?

paperclippy
01-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Allison, we're not sure. It will largely depend on how much he likes being home with them, I think. The cost of quality full-time daycare for two infants is more than half his current salary, and he didn't want them to be in daycare full time anyway. If he hates being home with them obviously we'll change plans, but if he likes it he'll probably be home at least a couple years (or possibly work part-time). After that point the daycare costs go down significantly compared to infant daycare, so we might reevaluate. Our field of work has been pretty hot the past few years so we don't anticipate him having a problem finding a job or getting his old job back if he wants to work again sooner.

traveling michele
01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Jessica-- I love that your dh will be a stay-at-home dad! I hope he loves it and stays home for awhile with them. They will be much happier and healthier with daddy than in day care.

My appetite is also raging today or perhaps it is just that I'm at my desk rather than with classes. I need to cut it out.....

We also had years of credit card debt-- it started with having to buy big purchases after we married like washer, dryer, fridge, and then we had years of infertility. We would use one credit card to pay another. It wasn't good. We finally paid everything off and I refuse to charge if I can't pay it off. We have a mortgage and car payments, but no revolving credit card debt. I'm trying to teach my dd's this very important lesson so they don't have to learn the hard way.

CherryPie99
01-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Saef!! YAY! A huge congrats! They hired you for a reason - because you will ROCK! Cut the self-doubt out :)

Am I the only one who doesn't like Girl Scout Cookies? There are lots and lots of cookies I do like, but GSC are kind of "Meh..." for me!

I did really well on diet and exercise the last couple of weeks and got down to the weight I was seeking, but have felt extremely tried and worn out today - barely made it through my noon workout, so I'm wondering if I've been over-doing it some. Plus I'm STARVING despite a good breakfast and lunch!

Jen

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Oh Jen, the actual taste of the girl scout cookies is kind of 'meh' for me most of the time, too. I think the draw is memory rather than enjoyment. Which I don't guess is a good thing. :)

Steph7409
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm not a big fan of GSC either. I never buy them because they're ridiculously expensive. My friend's daughters are in scouts and their troops sell nuts at some point, so I buy those and give them to the squirrels.

saef, congrats on getting the promotion. It's inconceivable that you will fail at this so try to enjoy the challenge. As a long-time wage slave, I'll second Megan's position that communication is the key for good relationships between staff and managers.

Sheila, I'm the one who got the Marmoleum click floor. It's lovely and feels great underfoot. I've had no problems with it getting wet, as long as water doesn't stay on it for any length of time. It's just that it looks smeary all the time. Perhaps I didn't put the right sealer coat on it when I first got it, I don't know.

dagmar, I hope the weather wasn't as bad as you feared today. We got a little snow and now it's warm enough to be almost rain - no sleet or freezing rain, much to my relief.

Megan, I love the idea of you trolling the beaches for playmates for your dog. It sounds like a beneficial arrangement for everyone!

Shannon, I use Quicken as well. It's fairly inexpensive and is a pretty good tool. I'm the only one in my family who has ever managed to live within her means. I pay off my credit cards every month, even if it means dipping into my savings (which happens when the vet bills get too high or some other emergency arises). I've also managed to put about $25K into my house over the past few years in repairs and renovations without taking out a loan, so I feel pretty good about that.

After a bad week, emotionally and physically, I'm ready to get back to my daily exercise routine. I think I got in only 3 days of workouts last week. Ugh. So it's time to get off the computer and on the bike.

Mudpie
01-29-2013, 05:30 AM
saef :congrat:

Megan What you're doing with Emma for playmates is quite normal here. When I'm dogsitting and it's the weekend (no regular playmates) I take the dog I'm with to the dog park and actively seek someone for the dog to run with.

So I tried to introduce the Turkish dog - Bulut - to the young goldens yesterday. Extreme fear reaction. Growling, hackles up, lips pulled back from teeth, etc. The goldens, bless their simple little heads, were totally unimpressed.

But Bulut is totally good with humans - strange for a street stray. I was in quite a state after the previous fiasco of a walk and, without thinking, put her coat on while she was growling and snarling and raising her hackles at the goldens. We were in a tiny vestibule at the time. Any other dog would have bitten me. Not her.

She is going to take a lot of time. I figured out the reason she is so reactive is that she is on leash when she sees, hears, meets other dogs and can't flee (her normal reaction apparently). So I will give her a potty break only and we'll see what happens. I can not picture her going out with any of my groups at this time (I walk a LOT of bossy loud reactive female dogs) but i do have occasional single walks late in the day and on the weekend so we might try her there.

Each new animal is a puzzle. She will let us know what she needs. Right now she is getting used to her new "home" very quickly. I hope she transitions as well into her "forever" home. What a journey!

Yoga time! And out into the "regular" rain - two days of it. I will be quite relieved when all of this weird spring/winter weather is over.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Megan1982
01-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Is the superbowl on Sunday? Oh darn, I volunteered to serve concessions at my community theatre's matinee performance. Bummer. I will be so sad to miss yet another football party. (:devil:) I'm actually quite glad I volunteered to serve for all 3 performances this weekend. I need a weekend where I don't feel compelled to drink "because it's Friday night!" etc. Having to be responsible will keep me on the straight and narrow.

Girl Scout cookies are nostalgic for me. My mom and a few other moms thought we should have a troop, so they formed one for me and many friends and I have a lot of good memories. My dad always bought lots of cookies, whether during our GS years or before/after. I do love the thin mints, frozen, but the rest are not that great to me. I really have never been a fan of pre-packaged stuff. My mom was a great baker and it spoiled me for life, which is probably better for me now. It helps me say "that's not a special treat, I don't need it" and walk away from a lot of baked goods.

Dagmar, I'm sure Bulut has had a tough life but she sounds very adaptable. Plus, it's really great that despite her fear she is not violent/lashing out at the dogs or you. I know you can work with that. ;)

Jen, when I get that starving and worn down feeling, I try to ease it by consuming some extra healthy fats since they really help fill me up and help my body repair itself after exercise. Do you feel better today?

Steph, did you feel better after your bike ride yesterday? Those exercise endorphins always feel so good to me.

Michele, great job on the skinny jeans! :carrot:

bargoo
01-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Megan , I love to bake. cookies especially but I keep that to a minimum now as I can't eat just one. I am a former Girl Scout and I cannot resist the Thin Mints ! I won't go looking for them but if I see someone selling them I will cave.

paperclippy
01-29-2013, 09:32 AM
There are a lot of varieties of Girl Scout cookies out there, but I only like three: Samoas, Thin Mints, and Tagalongs. The rest have zero draw for me. :shrug:

Dagmar, Bulut sounds a little like Carter. He is fear-aggressive with strange dogs when he is on a leash and feels trapped. He does much better if he's not on a leash, but only if the other dog approaches him politely (i.e. doesn't come straight at his face or crowd him).

Speaking of Carter, it's been nearly two years since his back injury/surgery (as of this coming weekend) and he's still chugging along! Even though the surgery recovery was pretty traumatic, I'm glad we did it and still have him with us. :love: We spent about 15 minutes last night hiding his nylabone in different places around our bedroom and watching him dig it out. Endless entertainment!

Jen, sounds like maybe you need to adjust your food to support your workout habits. Are you doing a lot of cardio? If so, are you getting enough carbs? Are you having a post-workout recovery snack?

Michele, I hope DH likes staying home with the kids too! When we talked about one of us staying home it seemed like the obvious choice because I like my job and he hates his, and we make about the same amount of money. I'm hoping he can find a stay-at-home-dad support group either online or locally.

Relatedly, we went to a local multiple births support group last night. From their website I thought it would be whole families meeting there, but it turned out to pretty much be all moms and a couple babies (DH was definitely the odd one out!). I think we'll join in any case. They have basically a social group meeting for the moms of older kids, but they have a support group for expecting moms and moms of kids under 8 months which I think could be really valuable for us, and they said it's fine for DH to come. They also organize play groups which will be good down the line.

bargoo
01-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Jessica, I applaud you and DH for one of you staying home with the twins. I firmly believe that no one cares for and loves our children as much as their parents. I am not critisizing those who find it necessary to have child care, I just think if you have a choice parents are better. On a personal note I did not someone else to be the one to hear the first word or see the first steps..

Shannon in ATL
01-29-2013, 10:02 AM
My cousin is a stay at home dad to three little girls (2, 5, 7) and he is just fantastic with them. They are fabulous girls. When he took off work with the first one he said he planned on going back, and went back for a time I think, but then realized he was happier at home and the day care expense wiped out what he was making. It has been great for all of them.

ChrisMohr
01-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Congrats SAEF!
I won't go into the details but I was pretty low emotionally last week and began sneaking candies and baked items. Secrecy is a key ingredient of weight gain for me. So just saying here that my weight is creeping up is a very powerful way to break the pattern. Since I know exactly what I need to do to get on the dietary track, it's these psychological patterns I must face. I had a great day yesterday and on Friday morning I will weigh myself again (unless I slip up; then it's back to the scale immediately).
The winter weight question is interesting for me. As you may remember, my wife Karen has been a maintainer for almost 30 years now (and complained today that she was all the way up to 108 pounds!!). Even she has a four-pound difference between her average winter weight and her average summer weight. Seems almost like raw instinct to have a little something stored up for the cold, I don't know. But that's no excuse for me to let my weight creep up all winter!!! My goal is to at least get down around 190 this winter and stay there, then get into my super-summer weight range of 180-185 by June. But for now I need to just get back on track. Day two, onward!

traveling michele
01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Glad you are back on track Chris. That's the important thing-- to catch things and correct them before they go too far awry.

I am in the midst of this yucky cold. Almost no voice and no energy. Should be an interesting day in the library. It's my first time getting sick this school year so that in itself is a miracle. I'm just looking forward to getting through the day. If I feel up to it, I'll do yoga this afternoon and then some quality couch/bed time after that.

alinnell
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Goodness gracious! Just when you think it's all done, it starts over again. This is in regards to our former business partner. Years ago, he entered into a building contract and failed to "x" out certain portions of the contract and as such we've been involved in a couple lawsuits over it. (Basically, we were unable to provide insurance due to the type of construction and there was a verbal agreement that the builder would cover us under their policy, which is called a wrap.) But he signed the contract indicating we would provide insurance. Then he leaves and then we get sued. We settled the first lawsuit and are still working on getting out of the second, but racking up attorney fees as a result.

So we get this remodel job on another house that the former partner did most of the work on. He had previously said he'd be willing to trade his time to help us on layout and stuff for what we've had to pay for his "omission of fiduciary duty" (as our attorney puts it). We gave him the plans and he worked on them.

And then he sent us a bill.

Shannon in ATL
01-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Did he send the bill after finding out that you were moving to a new building?

alinnell
01-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Did he send the bill after finding out that you were moving to a new building?

oh, yes. We told him we were moving out just before Christmas. He was pretty good about that.

WardHog
01-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Congratulations, saef!

I am not tempted at all by GS cookies. They are expensive and don't even taste good! (And don't get me started on boy scout popcorn - yuck!) I was at the grocery store with my daughter and there were some girls posted out front selling them. DD just says, "Don't bother; my MOM won't let us have any." Right you are ... :-)

BillBlueEyes
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Mega Congratulations, saef, for your new promotion.

Only advice I have is to be aware that you have the talents to do the job.

My first promotion to a supervisory position was announced as a by-the-way in a regular staff meeting. Taken by surprise, I later approached my boss and asked if there was anything special I should know. "No," he said, "It's just the job you've been doing for a while now." <sigh> . . . male engineers of that era weren't the most communicative creatures.

krampus
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
ARGHHHH I forgot I had agreed like, a month ago to go to "Pizza Wars" with my roommate's younger brother on Thursday...I then made plans to meet friends I never see, AND to play at an open mic night! I don't know what to do - I DON'T want to eat pizza!

traveling michele
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Congratulations, saef!

I am not tempted at all by GS cookies. They are expensive and don't even taste good! (And don't get me started on boy scout popcorn - yuck!) I was at the grocery store with my daughter and there were some girls posted out front selling them. DD just says, "Don't bother; my MOM won't let us have any." Right you are ... :-)

Too funny! Your dd sounds awesome!

Krampus-- what are pizza wars? They sound deadly!! Fake an illness???

krampus
01-29-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm going anyway, it's been decided...it's basically $8 all you can eat pizza from 15+ different competing pizzerias.

Friend's bro has severe social anxiety and I had committed to it months ago. Guilt of blowing him off and disappointing him would be worse than any amount of pizza eating that may occur.

traveling michele
01-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Then it's for a good cause Krampus. I know several people with social anxiety (my dd for one) so I know how much it means to him. Plus it sounds super yummy!!

Sheila53
01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Saef, congratulations on the promotion! Change is scary, but I have no doubt you'll be a wonderful manager.

Krampus, not disappointing your friend's brother sounds like a good reason to go. Maybe you can talk to him and keep away from all the pizza.

Dagmar, hopefully Bulut will settle down around dogs once he has some good experiences.

As a former Girl Scout (from Brownies all the way through H.S.), the cookies are nostalgic for me, too, although we didn't have as many kinds as they do now. Luckily, the nostalgia doesn't include actually eating them so I just donate the $ and call it good. If I did buy a box, it would be Samoas for sure.

Today we woke up to a winter wonderland. All the snow-covered trees were quite beautiful, and the snow was light and fluffy. I, a confirmed snow hater, actually enjoyed the sight. But I was really glad that the sun came out and the roads were clear by the afternoon. That's the way it should be--beautiful when I wake up, gone when I want to go anywhere. My DH and I even took a walk on the bike path. After the last two weeks of inversion and icy roads/sidewalks, it was lovely to see the snow-covered foothills and to be able to walk outside without risking life and limb.

Hey, Allison, maybe you can answer this for me as you're in a construction business. During a home inspection today, we discovered that the company that remodeled our bathroom in 2010 didn't reattach the floor insulation in two places. I sent the owner an e-mail with two photos showing the problem. Is he under any obligation (other than ethical) to fix the problem? What can I do if he doesn't respond? Thanks!

Megan1982
01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Morning all,

The front that is bringing snow to those of you in the north is coming through here later today with rain, thunderstorms. There are tornado warnings but it looks like it will be much worse north of here (duck, Shannon!). Even though today would be a terrible day for field work, these winter office doldrums are getting to me. Snacking will not make it better. It's yoga evening, but since the weather isn't supposed to come through until later I chanced bringing the dog to daycare today so she can get her exercise in. Last night I went to my choral rehearsal as much so I would have something to do if anything. I'm afraid left to my own devices will lead to eating.

Krampus, pizza wars sounds interesting. Hopefully focusing on interacting w friend's bro will take the focus off of so much food. How about eating a salad before you go so you don't go hungry. "Pizza wars" sounds like a title akin to "Hunger Games". Glad it's not actually so violent.

Michele, sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon and the library is peaceful today.

Allison, I'm so glad that you are getting out of your building arrangement with this guy. He sounds like the type you need to get every agreement in writing with, and double check the writing!

Chris, Michele is right. So you slipped. The important thing is that you're back on track. Good for you.

Jessica, how neat DH is staying at home. I'm sure the support group will be really helpful. My DS & BIL are also part of an online list-serve where they can get advice. I'd think if anything being the only dad in the group will make the moms help him even more than another mom: "Oh, gosh, a stay-at-home DAD! That guy is GREAT!"

paperclippy
01-30-2013, 08:56 AM
We got that weather front through here last night but it was all thunderstorms and rain, no ice or snow. Temps above 60 yesterday! Driving in to work today all of the rivers and creeks we passed were overflowing their banks -- not enough for real flooding here in the city, but I bet out in the rural areas they are having more problems. Somehow Carter slept through most of the thunder, then woke up right at the tail end of it and whined about it. :rolleyes: Luckily he was able to calm himself by chewing on his nylabone (funny how that works).

Bill, that is still how promotions work around here! I was only able to get promoted after I'd been doing the job of the next level up for a year. Basically a promotion is an acknowledgement of what you're already doing, so there's not really any added responsibility when you get promoted. You might get a role change without getting promoted which might involve more responsibility though, like my coworker who became our project lead but kept her same job title.

Krampus, good luck with the pizza wars.

Michele, are you feeling any better today?

Allison, sorry you're still having issues with that guy. How frustrating!

Sheila, the snow sounds lovely! Isn't it nice to get out for a walk after being cooped up? It warmed up so much here yesterday that taking the dog for a walk was much more pleasant than when we have to get bundled up from head to toe.

Chris, today is a new day!

Shannon, where does your stay-at-home dad cousin live? It seems like it's far more common in big cities and on the coasts, but not so much here in Indy (although I know there are a few). You'd think with the economic downturn and many men losing their jobs there would be more stay-at-home dads, but I suppose there are a lot of people who would label themselves as "unemployed" rather than "stay-at-home dad."

Megan, I hope your thunderstorms aren't any worse than ours were last night. I was joking with one of my coworkers about how when DH is a SAHD and he takes his two little girls to the park the moms will all think he's a pedophile. My coworker was like, "No, he'll be the hot dad that all of the single moms hit on!" :lol:

ChrisMohr
01-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Krampus,
good luck on the pizza wars thing. We all have events like this. At most overeating opportunities I notice that no one really cares what I eat. For example, at a party with a big lavish spread, I sometimes overeat and I sometimes eat just a few items. No one comments either way. They just want to visit with me. And BTW this Friday I host the first of two wine-tasting charities with a large Italian food spread and five different wines. We'll raise about $8000 to help some 80 families with small food, utility and other essential bills they can't quite pay. I will have to taste the wines and comment on them, but if I choose I can have a total of 100 calories from the wine and a very small plate of food. Or I can pig out. And no one will care. Your roommate's brother hopefully will not care if you eat only a slice or two of pizza either. At my wedding chapel we are all getting together to have fun raising money for The Action Center. If you really must have pizza, have a slice with artichoke hearts on it for me!

traveling michele
01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
No, I'm not feeling better today. Every time I get a cold, I lose my voice and I'm at that point now. It is pretty much gone. I sent an email to 8 of my classes telling them that I am here and will check books out to the kids, but during the "story" part of library today they will have to read my chosen book. My first class comes without a teacher so I will have to handle that one myself. Dh just says I better be better by the weekend for his 50th birthday and our little getaway to Napa!

Shannon in ATL
01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Morning all! I'm comfortably wearing pants that were too tight for the last six months. I'm excited.

Megan - I will definitely keep my eyes open today, there have already been sirens going off.

Jessica - my cousin lives in Macon, a smaller city south of Atlanta. And I agree that DH will be seen at the cool, hot dad instead of a crazy man. :)

Michele - I'm sorry you aren't feeling better. It has been a bad season for the illnesses.

Krampus - good luck at pizza wars. I think it is nice that you are going. You can handle it. :)

Sheila - does this company have any kind of warranty on their work?

Good day everyone - be safe out there in the various crazy weather conditions all over.

alinnell
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Hey, Allison, maybe you can answer this for me as you're in a construction business. During a home inspection today, we discovered that the company that remodeled our bathroom in 2010 didn't reattach the floor insulation in two places. I sent the owner an e-mail with two photos showing the problem. Is he under any obligation (other than ethical) to fix the problem? What can I do if he doesn't respond? Thanks!

Hmmm. I'm not sure. If it was our company, we'd certainly go out and try to rectify the situation if we had screwed up or if there was something under warranty. Not all companies will do this, though.

When we built our house, during the plumbing portion, someone dropped a 4-inch nail into the main drain where it lodged. Some months later we started experiencing plumbing backups (really, really gross having raw sewage back up into the guest room bathtub!). We called another plumber to fix it (you know, like Roto Rooter) and they scoped it and got the blockage out, but it happened again a few months later and then again after that. After the 3rd time, we contacted the plumbing company that had done the installation because this time the fix-it plumber "saw" (or felt with the snake) something immovable in the pipe. It ended up that we had to pull up the carpet in my son's room, jack hammer through the foundation, dig up the pipe and cut out the bad portion and then fix it all back up. Yeah, they charged us for that and it was their screw up.

Another case in point: DH went to visit a client yesterday at her daughter's house. The daughter had hired a contractor to do some work and he had covered up all the weep holes in her patio near the threshold of her French doors. Well, when it rains, water would then build up around the doors and leak into the house. They thought it was a problem with the doors, but DH discovered that the holes were blocked, thus preventing the rain to seep down into the ground where it belonged. He suggested they find someone to fix that problem. He didn't think the original contractor would do it (or they didn't remember who the contractor was).

ICUwishing
01-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Saef, congrats on your promotion! :woohoo:

Mudpie
01-31-2013, 05:33 AM
DH and I are meeting with the realtors tonite. We will be finalizing the action plan to sell my family home and everything will start rolling out next Tuesday. I'm hoping for a reasonably quick sale and to get enough to buy a modest house without a mortgage for DH and myself. :cheer2:

The anxiety :eek: all of this has been causing me since October, along with the winter weather :brr: and daylight savings, and my never-ending huge workload has caused my weight maintenance to pretty much go down the tubes. I have not had a single weekend off this year and find myself doing many extra late afternoon and dinner walks. The money brought in by these is not worth it but I'm employed in a service industry and serve when people need me.

I'm pushing :coffee2: through the day on caffeine, gorging on carbs at night when I crash :faint: from the caffeine, and getting very poor sleep as a result of both. I generally stagger off to bed at 9 and wake up around 3:30 a.m. Lather, rinse, repeat. :tired:

I know I can get back on track, lose the "winter weight" :sumo:, and get back to a healthier more balanced life. But not just now. I had to let something slide and the scale was pretty much my only option. :shrug:

End of lament. Cue the violins for the fade out :p

Dagmar (dreaming of :beach:)

traveling michele
01-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Shannon-- congrats on the skinny pants!!

Dagmar-- this too shall pass. At least with this stress, you can see an end and it looks to be a bright one. Good luck with the realtors.

Sheila53
01-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you, Allison, for the information. The contractor was pretty mortified, and he's sending someone to fix the problem. I'm happy that he is being so responsible.

Dagmar, you've got a lot going on so don't feel bad about what the scale does or doesn't say. Just think about your happy future. You'd mentioned moving to the western part of Canada--are you still thinking about doing that eventually, or staying where you are once you buy a home? Good luck with the selling and the buying!

Shannon, awesome news on the skinny pants!

DH has two phone interviews today--one with a local company, one out of state, and then he has another one tomorrow with an out of state co. He didn't get the job he interviewed FTF for last week. That was a local one. The rejection bums him out, but even for software geeks, it's a tough market when you're more "mature." Luckily, him finding work isn't essential. Maybe for me because I'm not used to having him around the house all day. :)

Steph7409
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Dagmar, good luck on the real estate transactions. Have you started looking for a place to buy, or are you waiting for the other house to sell first? And how is Bulut doing?

Sheila, I'm glad the contractor was helpful. I've watched too many Mike Holmes shows and assume they're all jerks. I've been pretty lucky with the people I've hired - they've been expensive but have done good work. It can be worrisome, though.

Krampus, I hope you did well at pizza wars. That's a war I would lose, as pizza is my favorite food.

I've had a really rough few days, feeling more despondent than I have in a long long time. But I did get an offer today for that job I interviewed for last week, so that's nice. The salary is quite a bit lower than I was hoping for so I asked for a little more and should hear back tomorrow. I'm going to take the job anyway, since I'm not at all comfortable in my current job but a few more bucks would be helpful.

Goodbye to January, a truly sucky month.

ICUwishing
02-01-2013, 09:00 AM
:wave: I've been reduced to lurking this week, for various reasons. I tend to give January a little too much optimism as the beginning of a new year, and then the end of the month turns into a let-down. No matter - it's now February, which is the beginning of the end of winter. :dizzy: I'll plan to sit down with my computer tomorrow morning and catch up on the commentary. TGIF!!

bargoo
02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Steph and Becky I hope you both have gotten out of the January doldrums. There are better days ahead. hang in there.

saef
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
There will never be an end to stress. There will simply be a sequence of stresses, with one replacing another while the earlier one is fading. I think I'd have a better life if I just accepted that and learned how to roll with it.

Strung out last night from two all-day meetings, and then subsequent meetings in which I found out which five employees I'll be managing, with my head in a whirl about strategies for each of them -- I got back from the gym to a broken-voiced, sobbing message from a friend. She'd sent me a neutral email early in the week, titled "information" and asking for my new landline number. Turns out her mother is dying -- has been losing strength rapidly all week -- they just did intake from hospice. So I was on the phone with my friend, talking, recalling my father's last days fighting cancer, and our experience with hospice. So tired that my facial muscles felt numbed. Wanting desperately to crawl off to bed, but knowing I must listen and also tell her things and hold nothing back. Then she was done, and I did fall in bed. Only to have the phone ring less than 10 minutes later, and it was my friend again, frantic, because her mother had probably died while she was on the phone with me, standing over the bed.

And now it's a three-meeting day, my last day in the rank and file. I'm just on my third cup of coffee, which is actually pretty good, considering.

Thank goodness for cardio this a.m., as my head was just one loud, confusing crosscurrent of self-talk after breakfast, and that Stairmaster seemed to help sift through the noise.

bargoo
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
saef, so sorry for your friends loss, there is nothing like losing your mother no matter how old you are.
saef, about meetings I remember when I had to go to managers meetings and I had to drive some distance to get there. I hated them and was always thinking " I could be at my desk getting some work done."

alinnell
02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
So sorry for your friend's loss, saef. When my Mom was in hospice, my sister, Dad and DD were in her room when she died. Dad and Sister were arguing over some trivial bit of bookkeeping when DD said she didn't think grandma was breathing any more. I like to think she heard the trivial argument and decided that all was well and it was time to go.

ChrisMohr
02-01-2013, 10:47 AM
So from January 1 to February 1 I lost 4 pounds as I slowly come back towards maintenance. By early to mid-March I am feeling confident I can be back in my wondedfully low ideal weight range. This weekend will be a bit tough with tonight's wine tasting and the Super Bowl.

Saef you are wise to accept that stress is a reality of life. Kind of like the first principle of Buddha.

bargoo
02-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Chris, good going on the weight loss.

traveling michele
02-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm sorry Saef, both for you and for your friend's loss.

Ishbel
02-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Krampus How was the pizza war?

Steph7409 Hope feb is better for ya :/

ChrisMohr Yay for the 4 lb loss!!!

So it's cold here yesterday was -44 (with windchill -31 without)...couldn't start my car yesterday so I had to take a taxi and told the VIP he could pay for it since he didn't leave me a key for the garage (only one key works I've been after him since October to get the door knob figured out as every key he gets cut doesn't work) I wasn't the happiest camper yesterday, nor even this entire week. Today it's 'only' -17C - feels 'balmy' :)!

I dislike audits on your work....when a team of people with oodles of time and oodles of experience come and take a look at what you're doing it's a GREAT thing (not being sarcastic here it is good to have new eyes)...it just exhausts you when they see something you've not 'seen' for years and when they point it out you think "HOLY CRAP HOW DID I MISS THAT" <sigh>

Needless to say the guilt factor has been big in my life this week therefore I'm highly exhausted...coupled with a sinus infection that may or may not be gone yet...ugh.

HOWEVER, I have not caved for any of what would have been 'normal emotional' foods...but I do find that as a result of exhaustion and guilt I want to go shopping for new clothes (I haven't done that as I'm trying to follow my own personal budget)...which leads me to believe the VIP.....that perhaps I moved my emotional eating to emotional shopping. Don't want to end up on one of those shopping addiction shows :D

traveling michele
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Emotional shopping.... yes-- I know it all too well!

Shannon in ATL
02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I am such an emotional shopper. For food, for clothes, for books, for fitness equipment. Whatever I can get my hands on, really.

Saef - I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, and for the stress on you the last few days. Those meetings never seem to feel worth it once everything is said and done.

Good job on the weight loss, Chris!

Steph - sorry that January has been rough, but congrats on the job offer. I hope that they come through with a little more money.

Becky - January is gone, time to start clean with (at least down here) signs of spring.

Sheila - glad the contractor stepped up!

Dagmar - how did it go with the realtor?

I'm now three days under 140. In newly comfy pants again. I'm happy with this. Let's see if I can make it through the weekend.

krampus
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Another emotional shopper here, Ishbel. I can tell when a "funk" is coming - I just feel like checking out of the real world and shopping. As a result I have a smaller yearly IRA contribution/savings balance and a cooler wardrobe. :P

Pizza Wars was a disaster, we left after 5 minutes. Disorganized and the pizza didn't even look good.

paperclippy
02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Steph, congrats on the job offer!

Saef, sorry for your friend's loss, and for the emotional difficulty for you of helping her through it.

I feel like I should say something about weight maintenance now, but there's not much to say. It's been a bit of a mental struggle for me to go from watching my weight, eating mostly veggies, and working out 4-6 days/week to watching my weight go up and up, eating mostly meat and cheese to get enough protein, and having my only exercise be a 15-min dog walk a couple times a week. But, all is well pregnancy-wise according to yesterday's ultrasound, so whatever I'm doing must be okay.

Goal for this weekend: pick out cribs, stroller, and car seats. I'm trying to decide between these two strollers: option 1 (http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Universal-Snap-N-Go-Stroller/dp/B008U4MKU6) option 2 (http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Twin-Roo-Seat-Stroller/dp/B00B07STA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1359749116&sr=1-1&keywords=joovy+twin+roo). Neither one is available in-store for me to look at in person anywhere though.

Shannon in ATL
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Jessica - I like the one that has the stadium seating and the babies face you, for what its worth. :) The other one they face out side to side and that seems weird to me.

alinnell
02-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Jessica - I like the one that has the stadium seating and the babies face you, for what its worth. :) The other one they face out side to side and that seems weird to me.

I agree.

Shannon in ATL
02-01-2013, 04:29 PM
How do I make kale chips without smoking up the house?

alinnell
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM

My first and only attempt was in the oven and I didn't like how they turned out--greasy and basically they fell apart as I tried to eat them.

I have a friend who has a cheap drier that goes in the microwave and she says it make all vegetables into the greatest chips--even kale.

Shannon in ATL
02-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Ah, right. My coworker has a drier and uses it on apples. I tried baking crispy green beans and would up with a soggy mess, too. Maybe I'll just cook the kale with some oil and garlic instead. I'm in one of those places where I have to use everything in the farmer's market basket. No throwing anything out.

traveling michele
02-01-2013, 05:07 PM
OMG! My appetite is returning with a vengeance after being sick for a week. Plus today is a slow day at work which makes me think about food more. UGGH....

Ishbel
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM

I make these all the time, or used too....ripped it all up into chip like pieces and put them all in a large bowl, 1 tbsp of olive oil, I used white vinegar in the bowl too. Dumped in the kale, smushed them around to get them coated, dumped on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (this is key) and sprinkled salt very sparingly (voila salt and vinegar!). You could also use chili power and smoked paprika for a BBQ taste. Had a friend who used to use lemon pepper.

I usually cooked them up for 15-20 minutes at 350-375 F (depends on the oven) and just kept my eye on them. No word of a lie I would reach in, grab a chip and pop it in my mouth to see if it was crunchy enough yet.

My belief is that the parchment paper is what you really need. :)

Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.

bargoo
02-01-2013, 08:23 PM
On the other hand , Shannon, kale is great in soup.

alinnell
02-01-2013, 08:25 PM
The kale I've had has been rather bitter. I'll stick with spinach. I like spinach in a number of dishes as well as raw in salads.

Megan1982
02-02-2013, 08:46 AM
My kale chip method is similar to Ishbel's. I wash and tear up the kale in a big bowl (or buy the pre-washed, pre-torn kind). I add about 1/2 to 1 T olive oil, and about 1 t lemon juice. I like the tang the lemon juice adds. Toss it all together and massage a little bit. You want all the leaves to be covered with olive oil, but not dripping (less is more). I spread it out on a parchment covered cookie sheet (Ishbel is right - parchment is key! silpat mats might work here, too) in a THIN layer. Don't multi-layer. For some reason I add my seasonings here, not in the bowl. I spring salt and cayenne pepper, but you could really add what you like. If you're feeling decadent, a few sprinkles of parmesan are delicious. 325 for about 14-15 minutes, but check often after 11 minutes.

I don't really regard kale chips as a potato chip substitute, but they are delicious, tangy, salty, and crunchy. I love to saute it with a little EVOO, garlic, salt, pepper too. Kale is rather earthy, but I love it. A true sign my BF is my soulmate: he likes "earthy" things like this too, and I actually have to hide my kale salads from him if I want leftovers. He will mow one over. We were meant to be. :D

The fitnessista blog has recipes for dehydrator kale chips (http://fitnessista.com/2011/11/its-a-mystery/), and other dehydrator items too, but the recipe page isn't well organized to find them by method. I know I've seen other dehydrator things on her site, though. I seem to remember using my mom's dehydrator once many years ago and figuring out that if you don't open the vents, the moisture will stay in and ruin whatever you're dehydrating.

I've started buying toe nail polish in different colors to appease my emotional shopper. Polish always "fits" no matter your weight that day.

Chris, congrats on the 4 lb loss!

Jessica, are you not working out bc of doctor's advice, or your own feelings? I missed that. I'm not encouraging you to disregard your doctor's advice, but I read a lot of blogs and found Cassandra Forsythe's blog (http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/) about her own fit pregnancy and interviews with others to be very interesting. Cassandra is very well-educated and has a lot of impressive credentials, so I give what she writes consideration. Food for thought, anyway. It is a big change for you!

Saef, I'm so sorry about your friend's loss. She is lucky to have your support. :hug:

I thought I typed a whole post yesterday at work, but it doesn't seem to be here. Gotta get moving, but back later. Happy Saturday all. :)

Steph7409
02-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I have never eaten kale. Just thought I'd put that out there.

saef, I agree with you that it's probably best to consider stress a constant factor in our lives rather than as something unusual. The latter way of thinking often leads to me using it as an excuse to eat too much or indulge in other self-defeating behaviors. But I do hope your life settles down a bit, as you've had quite a few difficult challenges lately.

Jessica, I agree with those who have said that your husband will probably be a welcome addition to the mostly-moms parenting groups. A SAH dad with twin girls - I can hear the squees from here.

I too am an emotional shopper. I just spent way too much on some new craft projects - a couple of punch needle things that look like fun (I've never done it) and a gorgeous needlepoint kit based on an original painting. I love needlepoint but the hand-painted canvasses are crazy expensive ($100 and up). And then there's the framing - ack. I need to find cheaper hobbies.

saef
02-02-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm having difficulty downshifting today. I don't think my to-do list today is very long, but nevertheless, it's leaving me feel stressed. I'd rather do nothing, drink hazelnut coffee and read the Times. I'm intimidated by my plans though they're very ordinary: My appointment for a haircut, which is usually a time for relaxing, then grocery shopping and preparing the cashew chili that I usually make for myself on Super Bowl weekend. Since, in themselves, these are not difficult errands, this means there's something else sitting in the back of my mind, and that's probably all my new management duties, which will start on Monday, as I start the new job then, and all my expectations of myself. And of course that dark feeling over my friend's mother's death. From where I sit, it all looks like ceaseless striving and then death.

Something fun better happen on Sunday to get me out of this mood.

Shannon in ATL
02-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm going to try the kale chips tomorrow, thanks for the info! I have some really great tinted balsamic vinegar which I think I'll toss in also. And, I bought parchment paper over Christmas so I'm set! And bargoo, I have enough kale to make soup on Monday as well.

neurodoc
02-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I have a great trick for kale chips, which I make and eat regularly. I bought a Misto olive oil sprayer (you can get them at Amazon, among other places) and use an ordinary 8 oz. water spray-bottle for the vinegar. That way, I coat the leaves very evenly and it only takes a minute instead of multiple minutes of "smooshing around" and making an icky mess of my hands. I don't use parchment - straight onto stainless steel cookie sheets (the kind with 1" sides all around, not just flat, because the kale sometimes slides around when I try to put it in the oven), and I agree that the key is to make a monolayer, even if that means using 2-3 cookie sheets for a single bag (or bunch) of kale. I also de-stem it, even the pre-chopped stuff, because the stems are the bitter part, and also become very tough when dried. Spicing, besides the oil-and-vinegar combo, is up to you: all kinds of seasoning mixtures work well, it just depends on what you like.

Megan, it's different with twins. Way less safe to keep exercising after the first trimester, as the extra strain on the cervix from 2 fetuses really ups the risk of pre-term labor. Jessica is doing the right thing even though it must be super-frustrating.

alinnell
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
What a productive day! I started my grocery shopping Friday after work, so that part was pretty minimal. I got home from that and DH announced he needed to go shoe shopping. What? A guy shoe shopping alone? Unheard of! So off to DSW we went. He got a pair of dress shoes to replace his pair that were falling apart, I got nothing although I tried on a couple pair. Then off to Best Buy where he bought a Bose sound dock for our bathroom!?!? Prior to this he had a set of speakers, which at the time I said was dumb as it didn't also charge the ipod. I guess I won this argument! Then to Target to pick up some garbage bags and some new kitchen glasses to replace those that are all chipped.

Then to pick up the dog's medicine and lunch at Rubio's (fish taco's!) and then to golf. We had a nice light dinner with my in-laws and now we're home for the night. Just wish this stupid cold would go away. A new symptom every day and some are starting to linger. Ugh.

ChrisMohr
02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Saef good luck with your rough mood. "Striving then death" is a big existential issue. Great philosophers struggle with it as much as we do, and we are haunted by the fact that we know on some level there is that real danger of allowing our lives to blindly follow this dark path, and us obsessive perfectionist types have to face it sometimes. I have the dubious honor of performing funerals for all kinds of people, and this issue arises for families and friends all the time. Nothing wrong with our striving, but I find I need to ask, "If I get what I'm striving for, will it give me what I really want?" In my life what I really want is peace, love, all the things that require no effort at all. When after striving I lose weight or maintain an ideal weight I do feel relief and a certain satisfaction course, but my successes and strivings are not really where I find true happiness! So I hope something nice, like watching a mindless football game with friends or family, comes along today for all of us, where we all can just enjoy this moment. You have my full support because believe me I've been there again and again.

Megan1982
02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Megan, it's different with twins. Way less safe to keep exercising after the first trimester, as the extra strain on the cervix from 2 fetuses really ups the risk of pre-term labor. Jessica is doing the right thing even though it must be super-frustrating.

OH. Thanks for educating me.