Ideal Protein Diet - Rhubarb

View Full Version : Rhubarb

BrittStar027
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm having a hard time finding frozen rhubarb near me. I have a wicked craving! I live in Rhode Island, but am close enough to Connecticut that i wouldn't mind making a trip in. I've checked Stop and Shop, Walmart and Shop Rite at this point. Anyone have any other suggestions??

Tikatoka
01-26-2013, 01:17 PM
If you are ever in Massachusetts they have fresh rhubarb at the fruit center marketplace in Milton.

patns
01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
If you are ever in Massachusetts they have fresh rhubarb at the fruit center marketplace in Milton.

In Canada the only place that always seems to have it is Safeway in the frozen section.
I am not sure about the US Safeways.

maezy1
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Whole Foods and Fresh Market are the only places that I have found it

BrittStar027
01-26-2013, 04:24 PM
Didn't even think about Whole Foods! I have one about forty minutes from me. Thank you!

scorbett1103
01-26-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm in southeastern MA - I can rarely find the rhubarb frozen at our stores, and the nearest whole foods is in RI! I haven't checked the Trader Joe's in Foxboro yet, they may have it.

disgal
01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
I haven't checked the Trader Joe's in Foxboro yet, they may have it.

I live about 10 minutes away from that Trader Joes and have yet to get over there! I need to take a ride over and see if they carry rhubarb! Thx for the suggestion!! :)

scorbett1103
01-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I live about 10 minutes away from that Trader Joes and have yet to get over there! I need to take a ride over and see if they carry rhubarb! Thx for the suggestion!! :)

Nice - we may be neighbors soon, we want to move back up there once hubby finishes school! I am from Mansfield and still go to church in Foxboro :)

djs06
01-26-2013, 07:03 PM
I've found it in the small, local health food stores but now in whole foods! Look by the frozen fruit rather than veggies.

disgal
01-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Nice - we may be neighbors soon, we want to move back up there once hubby finishes school! I am from Mansfield and still go to church in Foxboro :)

Sweet! Attleboro here.....I'd say "Go Pats".....but we all know how THAT worked out!:(

I've found it in the small, local health food stores but now in whole foods! Look by the frozen fruit rather than veggies.

I remember I found a frozen bag SOMEWHERE over a year ago.....just can't remember where THAT was! Thanks for your suggestions

! I hope the OP has better luck! :)

SassyGirl424
01-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Sweet! Attleboro here.....I'd say "Go Pats".....but we all know how THAT worked out!:(

Love seeing "Foxboro" and "Go Pats" in this thread! I am originally from New England and am married to the world's biggest Pats fan, and mom to 2 gals who are as big of fans as their dad is!

amberjules
01-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I just bought some today from Central Market which is like a Whole Foods here in Bothell, WA. I know I've seen it at Whole Foods also.

disgal
01-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Love seeing "Foxboro" and "Go Pats" in this thread! I am originally from New England and am married to the world's biggest Pats fan, and mom to 2 gals who are as big of fans as their dad is!

We'll get 'em NEXT year!!!! ;)

scorbett1103
01-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Nice!!! I am in Attleboro ALL THE TIME in the summer, my kids LOVE Capron Park and my dad lives in Norton so we visit a lot :)

Woo hoo!!!

BrittStar027
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
My boyfriend's family is in Central Mass, so i'm thinking on the way up the next time i'll hit up Whole Foods and then check out the markets up there. I'm hoping it's at Whole Foods in Cranston RI though. Would make it much easier! I'm definitely going to stock up this summer and invest in a food saver (and eventually a chest freezer).

scorbett1103
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
My boyfriend's family is in Central Mass, so i'm thinking on the way up the next time i'll hit up Whole Foods and then check out the markets up there. I'm hoping it's at Whole Foods in Cranston RI though. Would make it much easier! I'm definitely going to stock up this summer and invest in a food saver (and eventually a chest freezer).

Do it!!! I bought my chest freezer and a food saver four years ago and they paid for themselves in the first year. I haven't paid more than $2 a pound for meat in years, when they slash the prices on fresh meat I buy enough for 8 weeks (that's about how long the sales cycles run) and into the deep freeze it goes!

leadedge
01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm having a hard time finding frozen rhubarb near me. I have a wicked craving! I live in Rhode Island, but am close enough to Connecticut that i wouldn't mind making a trip in. I've checked Stop and Shop, Walmart and Shop Rite at this point. Anyone have any other suggestions??

I probably should know this, but how do you "eat" frozen rhubarb. Do you just microwave and eat. I love rhubarb pie etc. but I've never had it by itself.

Sorry, I'm a guy newbie who definitely struggles in the kitchen!

BrittStar027
01-26-2013, 11:51 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is a good food saver? My dad and aunt swear by theirs. Not to mention I throw away about 1/4 of the things I freeze because of freezer burn, ripped zip-locs, etc. I think it's time to get one.

scorbett1103
01-26-2013, 11:56 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is a good food saver? My dad and aunt swear by theirs. Not to mention I throw away about 1/4 of the things I freeze because of freezer burn, ripped zip-locs, etc. I think it's time to get one.

This is the brand I have, you can get the bags and supplies at Wal Mart which saves a little money over going to the Bed Bath stores :)

http://www.foodsaver.com/index.aspx

scorbett1103
01-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you!! I have a birthday coming up next month and I think this is going my make my "list" along with a blender and food processor. Oh the things that excite us as we get older...

LOL so true :) My husband laughs at me every Christmas because while he's asking for video games and goofy stuff, I am asking for kitchen appliances :)

leadedge
01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
I usually cook it in a sauce pan with a little bit of water, Splenda to desired sweetness, a dash of lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla extract. A lot of people bake it in a little casserole dish and get creative with some of the IP packets (or alternatives) to make a cobbler/baked dessert of sorts, I've also seen people mention putting it into muffins or pancakes or making it into a purée and use it as a topping for various creations. I'm sure their are a bunch of other options, but these are the few I'm most familiar with.

Ok, thanks! I'll give it a try

amberjules
01-27-2013, 12:17 AM
LOL so true :) My husband laughs at me every Christmas because while he's asking for video games and goofy stuff, I am asking for kitchen appliances :)

HAHA! I can totally relate. My last favorite thing I bought for the kitchen was my Vita Mixer. One of the best things I've purchased for the kitchen! I can't even count on one hand how many blenders I've blown through in order to save money. One day I got smart and just went ahead and bought the Vita Mixer. Best investment.

IdealProteinNewbie
01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
I probably should know this, but how do you "eat" frozen rhubarb. Do you just microwave and eat. I love rhubarb pie etc. but I've never had it by itself.

Sorry, I'm a guy newbie who definitely struggles in the kitchen!

Britt answered already, but I make mine a different way:

I put it in a bowl (I'm lazy, one less pan to wash), microwave 5-7 minutes until it starts to fall apart then add splenda, pumpkin pie spice and WF pancake syrup. I usually just eat it with a spoon but it's also good topped with IP's vanilla pudding :)

BrittStar027
01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
My dad was visiting today and asked what i wanted for my birthday, and he ordered me a foodsaver! So excited! Now i can buy meat and veggies in bulk and not have to worry about them going bad or getting freezer burned! I think getting this excited about appliances/kitchen gadgets is a sign that i'm getting older.

Ojenchilada
01-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Y'all are killing me with all this talk of rhubarb. Dying to try it but can't find it fresh or frozen...and I have been to TJ's and four different Krogers!

BrittStar027
01-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Someone said their Whole Foods had it. Do you have one nearby??

Ojenchilada
01-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Someone said their Whole Foods had it. Do you have one nearby??

Yeah, that's one place I haven't tried...and I actually have two nearby. Passed one of them on they way to Kroger #4. Doh!

pocahontas812
01-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Nice!!! I am in Attleboro ALL THE TIME in the summer, my kids LOVE Capron Park and my dad lives in Norton so we visit a lot :)

Woo hoo!!!

Such a small world! I grew up in Attleboro, and my parents, aunts/uncles, and some cousins still live there. Now I live in Ashland, which is next to Framingham.

djs06
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
All this Massachusetts talk is making me miss it! I lived in western MA for a few years and loved it :)

amberjules
01-29-2013, 11:20 PM
I mentioned earlier that I bought some rhubarb over the weekend from Central Market and I made a Rhubarb Crisp out of it and the IP Maple Oatmeal packet.

It's the first time I ever ate Rhubarb, so thanks to everyone suggesting it. I felt like I was cheating. It was so delicious!

Recipe: http://www.lamberjules.com/recipes/ideal-protein-recipes/ideal-protein-rhubarb-crisp-recipe/

http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Rhubarb-Crisp-2.jpg

AnnaBoBanna
01-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Mmm that looks so good! I checked my local Whole Foods and they didn't have it :-(

amberjules
01-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Mmm that looks so good! I checked my local Whole Foods and they didn't have it :-(

Did you check Central Market or Trader Joes? I'm not sure if you have one of those nearby. Check this out, you can buy it on Amazon in a 15 lb box: http://www.amazon.com/Rhubarb-Avg-15-Lb-Case/dp/B003UN0TLO/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1359518028&sr=1-2&keywords=rhubarb+frozen

Hope you have a freezer!

Also, your before and after pics are amazing! Looking so hot! :)

thin4me
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
Thank you!! I have a birthday coming up next month and I think this is going my make my "list" along with a blender and food processor. Oh the things that excite us as we get older...

Mine is called a "FoodSaver" and I bought it a few years back at Costco, costco regularly has the Saver rolls on special as well. I use it regularly and not just for items I put in the freezer. I buy big blocks of cheese and cut them into sections and seal - keeps each section perfect and stays fresh a long time! I use it to store extra coffee in, I actually just sealed several bags of homemade "nuts-n-bolts" and caramel corn from xmas - this will make them last without going stale and I won't feel like I have to "finish" them before my reboot!!

My husband had a great time creating little packages of individual chocolates for me last valentines day with notes that read "in emergency - break seal". That actually worked well for me :)

I've even used it to seal my daughters toiletries when she headed off to Europe to ensure nothing exploded in her suitcase.

I just found out after the kids went back to university and left me with opened boxes of cereal that I could put the cereal package in the machine - hit "seal" and they are now sealed fresh until they are home for Easter break.

The uses are endless and I couldn't live without mine.

amberjules
01-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Mine is called a "FoodSaver" and I bought it a few years back at Costco, costco regularly has the Saver rolls on special as well. I use it regularly and not just for items I put in the freezer. I buy big blocks of cheese and cut them into sections and seal - keeps each section perfect and stays fresh a long time! I use it to store extra coffee in, I actually just sealed several bags of homemade "nuts-n-bolts" and caramel corn from xmas - this will make them last without going stale and I won't feel like I have to "finish" them before my reboot!!

My husband had a great time creating little packages of individual chocolates for me last valentines day with notes that read "in emergency - break seal". That actually worked well for me :)

I've even used it to seal my daughters toiletries when she headed off to Europe to ensure nothing exploded in her suitcase.

I just found out after the kids went back to university and left me with opened boxes of cereal that I could put the cereal package in the machine - hit "seal" and they are now sealed fresh until they are home for Easter break.

The uses are endless and I couldn't live without mine.

Thank you for all of your examples! I didn't realize you could do so much with it. How do you handle liquids? For instance if you made a soup and wanted to freeze it in the bags?

ablever
01-30-2013, 01:30 AM
I know that at my Whole Foods, they don't normally carry frozen rhubarb but the manager said that if I was interested in a case (I can't remember if a case of rhubarb is 6 or 12 packages) then they could special order it for me. There might even be a case discount.

WorldTraveleronIP
01-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Amber, your rhubarb crisp looks so good, I am going to buy some rhubarb tomorrow. It's funny how you hear about recipes and they don't appeal until you see the photos :)

P.S. I think your chocolate zucchini cookies look amazing as well. I almost made some tonight ...then stopped myself (no more food today). Time for bed!

Lynnie63
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
We grew rhubarb at our old house - I didn't use it - thought it was difficult (it's so not)- now with IP I wish we had all of that rhubarb!!!! I will be stocking up this summer! I have 2- 2 cup bags in the freezer which I am cherishing.

I just throw it in a bowl and put it in the microwave - frozen or fresh - with some Stevia. Yum.

I also have a very good non-IP recipe for a cobbler made with marshmallow's and a cake-like topping. PM me and I can email the recipe.

pocahontas812
01-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Well, I checked with my local Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Shaws, and Stop and Shop, and none of them sell frozen rhubarb. However....the new Wegman's in Northborough had it! Dole brand, 3.49 for a 16 oz bag. Got some this morning and have a single-serve rhubarb crisp made with proti-diet maple-brown sugar oatmeal (non-restricted!) baking in the oven!!

amberjules
01-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Amber, your rhubarb crisp looks so good, I am going to buy some rhubarb tomorrow. It's funny how you hear about recipes and they don't appeal until you see the photos :)

P.S. I think your chocolate zucchini cookies look amazing as well. I almost made some tonight ...then stopped myself (no more food today). Time for bed!

Hope you enjoy both of these recipes. I have fun coming up with some new ones and expounding on hold ones.

Well, I checked with my local Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Shaws, and Stop and Shop, and none of them sell frozen rhubarb. However....the new Wegman's in Northborough had it! Dole brand, 3.49 for a 16 oz bag. Got some this morning and have a single-serve rhubarb crisp made with proti-diet maple-brown sugar oatmeal (non-restricted!) baking in the oven!!

Wow...didn't know Proti-diet had an unrestricted oatmeal. Do you like the flavor by itself?

pocahontas812
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Wow...didn't know Proti-diet had an unrestricted oatmeal. Do you like the flavor by itself?

I like the flavor, but the texture/consistency is a little weird to me. Others love it. I've never been a big oatmeal lover anyway, so it is probably just me. It's nice to now have some rhubarb to go with it.

BrittStar027
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Hope you enjoy both of these recipes. I have fun coming up with some new ones and expounding on hold ones.

The maple brown sugar ProtiDiet oatmeal tastes good, but the consistency is funky. I can't eat it by itself anymore, but i use it to make REALLY good muffins.

thin4me
02-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Thank you for all of your examples! I didn't realize you could do so much with it. How do you handle liquids? For instance if you made a soup and wanted to freeze it in the bags?

Sorry just got back to this post. I've tried taking the air out of soups but usually end up making a mess, so now I just put it on "seal" and it seals it shut so basically no air gets in and it still does not get freezer burnt. There are different settings on the machine. You'll enjoy it!

GreatLakes86
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I have been enjoying rhubarb diced up and cooked in the microwave until soft and bubbling hot and then stirring in a packet of the raspberry jello to make a rhubarb sauce. It's really tart, but I like that. You could always add some OP sweetener to it if you thought it was too sour. :)

leannekarella
03-09-2013, 06:36 PM
I founds some frozen rhubarb at Safeway.

I stewed it down to a bubbly mush, then put in some Splenda and strawberry extract flavoring. YUMM.

Then I did one with the oatmeal crisp topping, but it burned, so it wasn't that good. I forgot about it... Will attempt that again and pay attention better.

Hubby loved the mush too.

Halfagain
03-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Fresh rhubarb is showing up in my local grocery stores now. Woohoo! It microwaves juicier than the frozen did (makes sense the frozen probably dehydrated a bit). Still loving the WF Strawberry jam mixed in after it's cooked. I found adding any sweetener on top of that made it not so good. I love it tart.

WorldTraveleronIP
03-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I've looked at Whole Foods and our Natural Grocer here in Denver..can't find it (frozen or fresh). I recall seeing it this past summer but have not seen it since. I guess I will wait for the farmer markets to re-open in May.

BrittStar027
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I've looked at Whole Foods and our Natural Grocer here in Denver..can't find it (frozen or fresh). I recall seeing it this past summer but have not seen it since. I guess I will wait for the farmer markets to re-open in May.

I've been checking all of my local grocery stores (and even driving a ways) for rhubarb, nada. As soon as i start seeing it, i'll probably buy it in bulk, chop it into two cup portions and foodsave and freeze it. Won't have to worry about it next winter!

WorldTraveleronIP
03-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I've been checking all of my local grocery stores (and even driving a ways) for rhubarb, nada. As soon as i start seeing it, i'll probably buy it in bulk, chop it into two cup portions and foodsave and freeze it. Won't have to worry about it next winter!

Great idea! I will keep looking as well...the one place I have not gone is Safeway, so I will check there next.

safetylady
03-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Small world, we use to live in North Attleboro but now live in Dartmouth MA. We love Trader Joe's, normally go to the one in Hyannis, think there is one in Warwick RI also.

kileymed13
03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Small world, we use to live in North Attleboro but now live in Dartmouth MA. We love Trader Joe's, normally go to the one in Hyannis, think there is one in Warwick RI also.

Very small world. I am in Dartmouth too, there are quite a few of us from right around this area. I think we fight over some of our favorites at Market Basket ;). I will have to checkout the Trader Joe's in Hyannis, I didn't know there was one there. I haven't been for many years (used to go to Framingham when I lived out that way).

IdealProteinNewbie
03-10-2013, 10:37 AM

You're in RI, right? Are there ShopRite's in your area? My local one carries it, and they store it next to the frozen, chopped bags of onions.

Worth a shot!

BrittStar027
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
You're in RI, right? Are there ShopRite's in your area? My local one carries it, and they store it next to the frozen, chopped bags of onions.

Worth a shot!

Yup, i'm in Rhode Island. I have a Shop Rite about 30 minutes from me. I stopped in a while back, but no frozen rhubarb. I scoured their veggie and fruit section to no avail. However, they do have a pretty decent selection of WF, so i picked up a few of those. I'm going to call the closest Whole Foods and see if they can order me a case of rhubarb (and see how much it costs).

ladylunk
03-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Great idea! I will keep looking as well...the one place I have not gone is Safeway, so I will check there next.

My Safeway has safeway brand frozen rhubarb. It's Canada though so not sure about yours, but worth a try.

GreatLakes86
03-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I hope those of you who are having difficulty finding it can get a hold of some! I am really enjoying rhubarb sauce mixed with the raspberry jello as a bedtime snack on nights when I want something warm and comforting. :)

lisa32989
05-27-2013, 11:37 AM
So I decided to bump the rhubarb thread b/c rhubarb is back in season AND because I found something

A lot of people mix rhubarb with sugar-free jello (if they don't want to use a packet) but jello brand has aspartame

So, I was planning on using plain gelatin (like Knox) and Mio

And then I found this:

Golden choice sugar-free gelatin (http://www.gagefoods.com/Products.aspx?hierarchyKey=67). This link only show how to buy wholesale

Then I found it being sold on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPLENDA-SWEETENED-SUGAR-FREE-GELATIN-JELLO-12-FLAVORS-IDEAL-PROTEIN-DIETFRIENDLY-/330909767465)

Just FYI for anyone interested
In the meantime, today's rhubarb is made with plain gelatin and Mio

IdealProteinNewbie
05-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Then I found it being sold on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPLENDA-SWEETENED-SUGAR-FREE-GELATIN-JELLO-12-FLAVORS-IDEAL-PROTEIN-DIETFRIENDLY-/330909767465)

I just came across that while searching for Splenda sweetened flavored gelatin. If you order it before I do please let me know how it is!

Beck81
05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
So I decided to bump the rhubarb thread b/c rhubarb is back in season AND because I found something

A lot of people mix rhubarb with sugar-free jello (if they don't want to use a packet) but jello brand has aspartame

So, I was planning on using plain gelatin (like Knox) and Mio

And then I found this:

Golden choice sugar-free gelatin (http://www.gagefoods.com/Products.aspx?hierarchyKey=67). This link only show how to buy wholesale

Just FYI for anyone interested
In the meantime, today's rhubarb is made with plain gelatin and Mio

I like to stew my rhubarb in the microwave with WF strawberyy syrup and I add Knox which I dissolve in water first for rhubarb jello. I little WF marshmallow cream mixed in is good also.

AnnaBoBanna
05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
I also cooked mine in the microwave last night with WF strawberry syrup. Instead of mixing with jello, I let it cool and blended it with IP strawberry pudding, ice, and extra water. It was delicious, even my bf wanted some lol.

Ruti
05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
I like to stew rhubarb using a bit of orange zest, splenda, cardamom, and fresh ginger. It is also tasty to use tea as the liquid.

canic
05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
My Whole Foods has it by the frozen vegetables, as it is a vegie. Another store a little way over has it by the fruit. So check both. They also go out of stock regularly.

My Vons (Safeway) has fresh rhubarb. I've been buying them out every other week, cut into pieces then freeze in big ziplock bags.

Annik
05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Rhubarb is super easy to grow...some say it likes to be up against a building but mine is in the open.

Can't wait to try the mock rhubarb recipe!

Thanks for sharing~

tsalters
05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi live on Cape Cod and instead of frozen rhubarb I just bought some fresh at market basket and chopped it all up and cooked it . I put the left over in the fridge. Used my strawberry WF syrup yummmm! Good luck

Debrasb
05-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi all-
I posted this elsewhere and then saw this thread! I love the sweet rhubarb compote too. This spring I wanted to try a savory application, and here it is! So good and a very different direction with this yummy veg.

Persian Beef (or Lamb) Stew with Rhubarb (http://www.unlimitedlettuce.com/2013/05/persian-beef-stew-with-rhubarb.html)

Msbehaving
05-29-2013, 01:59 AM
I like to stew rhubarb using a bit of orange zest, splenda, cardamom, and fresh ginger. It is also tasty to use tea as the liquid.

Yum...this sounds delish. I've been just stewing the rhubarb, adding splenda to taste and then baking with maple oatmeal as a topping to make a cobbler.

goldilocksinct
05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
I can't believe I just discovered rhubarb after seeing a post by Halfagain. Last year someone gave me some from their garden and that was pre-IP and we never figured out what to do with it. When I was a little kid and we asked my Mom what was for dinner, she said "Rhubarb Pie", so a long time ago I thought it was just something she made up. :lol:

I bought a bunch fresh at Stop and Shop the other day. I am going to see if other stores around here have them also. My husband said he will plant it for me. Yum!! It is so good and added to my favorite jicama and celery root, which I make as "chips" in the oven, the rhubarb is super easy in the microwave and so yummy! I throw in DaVinci cinnamon syrup which cools it off and it compliments any protein I have for dinner.

newday2013
05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
okay, this is happening...yummm

lisa32989
05-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Making more tonite. DH felt left out :)

A1Texan
05-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Making more tonite. DH felt left out :)
So I take it that your first try at Rhubarb was a success :) It has become a current staple of mine...LOL

KimInWA
05-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Love Rhubarb

bluegirl9
06-04-2013, 04:22 AM
I mentioned earlier that I bought some rhubarb over the weekend from Central Market and I made a Rhubarb Crisp out of it and the IP Maple Oatmeal packet.

It's the first time I ever ate Rhubarb, so thanks to everyone suggesting it. I felt like I was cheating. It was so delicious!

Recipe: http://www.lamberjules.com/recipes/ideal-protein-recipes/ideal-protein-rhubarb-crisp-recipe/

MAN that looks good!!!

BrittStar027
06-29-2013, 01:05 PM
LOVING the fact that i can finally find rhubarb in almost every grocery store! I have been buying it in bulk, chopping it up and foodsaving it into portion-friendly bags that go directly into the freezer. By the end of the summer i may have a freezer completely full of rhubarb, but i'll have no problem with that this winter!

I'm planning on making my first rhubarb crisp tonight and i can't wait to try it!

Anyone have any success blending it frozen into a vanilla shake??? I think that may be my next experiment...

tallgirl231
06-29-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks for your recipe and the pics. I made this for the first time last night and I am in love. Going out today to stock up on fresh rhubarb to freeze. Can't believe that it is a veggie! Tastes like I'm eating a dessert.:carrot:

SweetScrumptious
06-29-2013, 04:02 PM
I've been taking rhubarb from the alley way; there's a few huge bushes and it looks like the neighbours aren't even tending the plants so I figured it was okay to take. I have ~20 cups chopped up and I put in the freezer for a later date when it goes out of season :D

I just planted rhubarb at the back of the house. Will have to wait til next year tho to see if it survives/big enough to take some stalks from.

SweetScrumptious
06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Debrasb Just bookmarked that Rhubarb/Beef Stew recipe! Now more ideas for me to use the bountiful of rhubarb - gotta pick some more and try this fresh!

thinnerJ
06-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Anyone have any success blending it frozen into a vanilla shake??? I think that may be my next experiment...

I've been blending mine with wildberry yogurt drink and ice. The other day I made it with strawberry pudding, little extra water and ice and it was like a smoothie. Now I'm thinking about having it with chocolate. It has been keeping me fuller in the mornings.

A friend has a huge bush I'm harvesting off of tomorrow, will freeze a bunch of cut rhubarb in 2c packs. I planted some a couple years ago, it still only provides a little but other than harvesting it there is no work involved, it just comes up each year bigger and bigger. Same goes for growing asparagus!

BrittStar027
06-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I've been blending mine with wildberry yogurt drink and ice. The other day I made it with strawberry pudding, little extra water and ice and it was like a smoothie. Now I'm thinking about having it with chocolate. It has been keeping me fuller in the mornings.

A friend has a huge bush I'm harvesting off of tomorrow, will freeze a bunch of cut rhubarb in 2c packs. I planted some a couple years ago, it still only provides a little but other than harvesting it there is no work involved, it just comes up each year bigger and bigger. Same goes for growing asparagus!

Do you cook it before you blend it? Or just throw it in raw and frozen?