Ideal Protein Diet - Weight Loss Good Libido BAD

View Full Version : Weight Loss Good Libido BAD

DJ72
01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Okay...has this happened to anybody else in IP land? Since I have been on the plan I have NO sex drive. NONE! Like zero! I feel it had been dwindling even before I started the plan but I just figured it was because I was depressed because I had let myself get so fat. But since I started IP it has hit rock bottom.:( My Hubby is not going to be pleased...LOL He is like the dancing carrot smiley....UGH

clarksgirl
01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I could have made this exact same post that you did!!! LIBIDO down! I am hoping once I start losing more weight that I will FEEL like it more and not feel so yucky and fat. (feeling more sexy) :(

lisa32989
01-25-2013, 04:25 PM
I looked for an answer to this (geez...I wonder why?)
I found this:

Testosterone in women is also fundamental to sex drive as it influences interest, arousal, sexual response, lubrication, and orgasm. As a result, anything that diminishes testosterone may result in a lack of libido, including too much estrogen which may decrease testosterone levels. Excessive or chronic stress may cause a hormonal imbalance that can result in low libido. During periods of stress, progesterone, which is the precursor molecule to testosterone, is converted into cortisol instead of sex hormones. Eventually, this results in low testosterone and reduced libido.

I bolded the one part b/c we've talked over & over on this board about the quick weight loss releasing estrogen back into the system (hence lots of goofed up cycles & need for backup birth control). Being on an extremely low carb/low fat plan can also cause stress to the system, which could be accounted for in the next section.

I'm thinking this is temporary, just like some people's hair loss, and other negative symptoms. But I WILL discuss with my coach, now that I don't feel alone.

jmuroff1
01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
omg im having the same problem and it's driving me crazy!! is there any vitamin or something we can take to help?

Kat117
01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I wish!!!!!! I am having the opposite problem! I feel like a crazy woman! What's worse is I'm single and no way to take advanage of it's return!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP43
01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
( My Hubby is not going to be pleased...LOL He is like the dancing carrot smiley....UGH

OMG that made me laugh out loud! What a visual!!

I totally now understand the whole libido/testosterone connection. It just explains sooooo much.

My husband's smiley :hyper: + mine:nono::no: I have a :headache: = :stress::stress::stress: for DH

rofl306
01-25-2013, 06:29 PM
My husband's smiley :hyper: + mine:nono::no: I have a :headache: = :stress::stress::stress: for DH

:rofl:

Starshine
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah, my libido is down too. I hate that! But it is returning now, which is great. :)

SouthernGal08
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
I've noticed the same thing! After losing the weight, I thought I'd feel much more confident and ready to go, but I just don't. You are not alone. I hope it improves. Thanks for posting this question, and thanks for that explanation, Lisa.

bubbleblower
01-25-2013, 08:15 PM
OMG that made me laugh out loud! What a visual!!

I totally now understand the whole libido/testosterone connection. It just explains sooooo much.

Okay, this had me literally laughing out loud. Perfect description of what's happening around here, too! :lol:

MonicaKolesnik
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
We are not alone as this is showing, I have also found my Libido decreased :faint: even though my husband is like :drool:

I am hoping it gets better once I am into maintenance.

Ali Williams
01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
I wish!!!!!! I am having the opposite problem! I feel like a crazy woman! What's worse is I'm single and no way to take advanage of it's return!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like you, Kat! I wish!

Ali

IP43
01-25-2013, 08:42 PM
We're soooo mean to DH! We make them look all day at our new bodacious curvacious bods and then say they can't touch. It's like taking a diabetic to a candy store or an alcoholic to a bar. Poooor hubbies! LOL

(Of course, if DH could figure out where the laundry machine was located in the house, that might help improve my mood as much as some hormone therapy;))

jeffiner
01-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Yikes..i hope Lisa is right and its temporary..keep us posted

lisa32989
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Yikes..i hope Lisa is right and its temporary..keep us posted
I think it is. Once the fat loss stops. It would be great if a maintainer who experienced this issue would chime in

Starshine
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I think it is. Once the fat loss stops. It would be great if a maintainer who experienced this issue would chime in

I so hope so, and yes, a maintainer please chime in. :) And lastly, a late thanks for your great information earlier on this thread, Lisa.

Nitney72
01-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm so happy to see this thread. My poor husband. I think once I'm allowed to exercise my sex drive will go through the roof- it always does! (TMI- hubby has this thing for hips and when I lay on my side my hip bone now sticks up and the second he touches it he goes into...overdrive.... and I'm all "not now.")

jmuroff1
01-26-2013, 11:26 AM
so there is no vitamin we can take?!?

lisa32989
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
It's not a vitamin deficiency
It's hormonal

Lolo70
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
IP really messes up my hormones, as well in a very bad way. I have the problem that estrogen/progesterone levels dropped. At the beginning of such a diet you may release a lot of estrogen into the blood. Later on I am not sure whether it is the fast loss or the low levels of fat and carbs that affect synthesis of sex hormones.

Anyways, Lisa said it. Loss of libido is probably due to low levels of testosterone. I had those symptoms when I had hormone imbalance (this was not due to IP or any other diet). Here is what worked for me. I took Ashwagandha root extract and Rhodiola rosea extract. I am not sure whether the combination did it or whether Rhodiola may work alone. Ashwagandha is said to balance thyroid hormone levels, whereas Rhodiola rosea balances adrenal hormones (there are some positive studies on testosterone levels). With Rhodiola rosea it is important to have it from plants growing at high altitudes and harvested in spring. I got both from Gaia. I am not sure whether it works with everybody whose thyroid and adrenal glands are slightly out of normal levels. But it rebalanced mine and as a very positive side effect my libido came back big time.

Halfagain
02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
bumping this thread up in case some more people on maintenance a while might be willing to give some insight. Starshine you give me hope.:hug:

I know DH is much more interested in baking cookies after I have been 7 months on IP than pre IP. He's asked me a couple times now if anyone who's had libido issues has gone to maintenance and found it truly has returned. Yep he's worried - then again I have to remind him, I'm no spring chicken and there's plenty of other hormone issues I may be dealing with beyond what rapid weight loss is doing to me. I tell you low calorie and work stress do take a toll. The hormone issues with fast weight loss as well. So - my question, if anyone wants to PM me is fine - does going to maintenance for a few weeks bring back your libido where it was pre-IP?

healthyangie
02-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Hey all - to address the "will it come back question..." Yes it will. I was in maintenance for 3 months the end of last year and it did come back very quickly (by the time I was off P3 onto P4) - I've returned this year to drop a few more and BAM - just like that it dropped off again. Another nice treat this time is I also can't achieve the big O "properly." I am assuming this is temporary too .... My God I hope it is anyway!!!

ckmainprize
02-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Oh my goodness, this is so funny! Glad lots of people were wondering about this. I was way to embarrassed to ask my coach!

Halfagain
02-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Hey all - to address the "will it come back question..." Yes it will. I was in maintenance for 3 months the end of last year and it did come back very quickly (by the time I was off P3 onto P4) - I've returned this year to drop a few more and BAM - just like that it dropped off again. Another nice treat this time is I also can't achieve the big O "properly." I am assuming this is temporary too .... My God I hope it is anyway!!!

Wha-hoo! That is great news. Thank you!

LexiChanel1
02-05-2013, 09:22 AM
funny stuff, I thought I was crazy.

jeffiner
02-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I guess its a good thing that my husband and I are doing this diet at the same time!

healthyangie
02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I guess its a good thing that my husband and I are doing this diet at the same time!

I'm so sorry to bust the bubble but I don't think it works the same for them :(

My DH and I went P1 beginning of year together and while mine tanked - his increased :o

thin4me
02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I have to "second" Angie, it came back in full force once I was in maintenance and now it is gone again!

I actually didn't make the connection.... I just thought it was too damned cold in the house for naked yoga :)

leannekarella
02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you, Lisa, for the answer. I have PCOS, so my libido is screwy anyway, but the last month there is NONE. I had been wondering if it was the diet. At least now I have something tangible to blame it on. :)

evemomma
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Bumping this thread b/c I am REALLY struggling! I told my hubby it has to be the hormone changes b/c I feel more confident about my body than I have in years. If only i could have a glass of wine.....well....hoping this is only a P1-P2 thing!

Ruth Ann
07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
LOL - I had this issue! My doctor said it was the hormone changes from losing weight and when things stabilized it would get back to normal. I've been maintaining for 2 months now and things have improved greatly. Dh is very pleased. :D

evemomma
07-07-2014, 11:44 AM
LOL - I had this issue! My doctor said it was the hormone changes from losing weight and when things stabilized it would get back to normal. I've been maintaining for 2 months now and things have improved greatly. Dh is very pleased. :D

Yay! Thanks for chiming in!!!! I will be sure to tell hubby that we are in a temporary rut....no fair to him i'm finally wearing figure hugging clothes but definitely not "feeling it". Sigh.

IP43
07-07-2014, 11:59 AM
OMG -- I really enjoyed reading these and having a good laugh -- WITH you all, not at you. I see postings I made my first time around, so the problem hasn't improved since then (even after I went off IP for awhile). Poor DH. But he's still around so I must be a good cook or something! LOL

canadjineh
07-07-2014, 12:00 PM
LOL, I haven't notice much difference before, during, or after IP, but I will say our main issue is getting time together when we both have the energy and can focus on it. We pretty well have to schedule 'fun-time' into our diaries, otherwise we find the week has gone by and we 'just didn't get around to it'. So many other work scheduling, and family health issues with all parents that it can just go out of our thoughts.
Goodness, for those of you with children, I don't know how you manage a sex life in the first place - but then again you must have... 'cause you have children, teehee!

Liana

jemma51
07-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Glad I saw this thread because I have been avoiding my Bf like the plague. I just thought it was me. I have to say that I have also been really grumpy since starting IP.

canadjineh
07-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Glad I saw this thread because I have been avoiding my Bf like the plague. I just thought it was me. I have to say that I have also been really grumpy since starting IP.

Yeah, lol... grumpy and annoyed doesn't make for good sex... your time will come :D

randygrl
07-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Goodness, for those of you with children, I don't know how you manage a sex life in the first place - but then again you must have... 'cause you have children, teehee!

Liana

I love this and it is so true, but as a mother of 3 boys obviously we found time somewhere. The trick is to make time, make it fun, and make it loud or dirty or kinky or whatever it takes for the two of you to have a good time and want to do it again and again and again. Okay need to leave now and find my hubby. :love: & :belly:

canadjineh
07-10-2014, 06:50 PM
I love this and it is so true, but as a mother of 3 boys obviously we found time somewhere. The trick is to make time, make it fun, and make it loud or dirty or kinky or whatever it takes for the two of you to have a good time and want to do it again and again and again. Okay need to leave now and find my hubby. :love: & :belly:

Hahahah, I take it the boys are visiting Gramma's place fairly often :o.

randygrl
07-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Hahahah, I take it the boys are visiting Gramma's place fairly often :o.

Not as often as mommy would like. :D

ChipnDip
07-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Not as often as mommy would like. :D

Hence the name randygrl?

I'm glad someone bumped this as I have been considering starting the same thread. DH is thinking I am finding it somewhere else! I have to just force myself and then it usually kicks in but I'm definitely not the initiator anymore.

Sheena1966
07-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Now I see what's happening... I'm not having problem with libido. It's actually increasing but my hormones were nil before I started this due to menopause so maybe something is reversing? I am also suddenly breaking out. Just wish my hubby was home more than two days a week. ;)

kissi
07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Wow. I didn't realize what this thread was about, but I'm glad I clicked on it. I have never had a problem getting 'excited' before and last week me and the BF were messing around and I kept telling him "I'm just not stimulated enough, I don't have enough stimulation, I'm sorry" I felt so bad. Glad I can pin it to something. I still 'want' it, but it's definitely difficult to achieve once I have it.

Kellyc14
07-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Wow. I didn't realize what this thread was about, but I'm glad I clicked on it. I have never had a problem getting 'excited' before and last week me and the BF were messing around and I kept telling him "I'm just not stimulated enough, I don't have enough stimulation, I'm sorry" I felt so bad. Glad I can pin it to something. I still 'want' it, but it's definitely difficult to achieve once I have it.

I am in the same boat! and I didn't realize it was connected to the diet until I read these comments! I just can't get "into" it.... of course we still have it, pretty much nightly, but I never "achieve" and that actually frustrates him! He likes to make sure I am satisfied. Hopefully this improves as time goes on.

kissi
07-11-2014, 11:50 AM
It's been very frustrating. I guess I will try to keep him happy until the weight comes off and then work on getting back to 'normal'.

AmberLS
07-11-2014, 03:28 PM
I'm like you, Kat! I wish!

Ali

I'm with Kat and Ali... I had extremely low libido problems when I started this diet. I felt like I could live without sex forever, but now I'm well let's just say dreaming about it! LOL the long distance relationship made it rough, and when I saw him in TX on vacation I'm pretty sure I wore him out and he was like WHOA lol he's been with me since before I started so he was used to my low to average libido

randygrl
07-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Hence the name randygrl?

My online name has a double meaning.
1. I am a randy girl. :o
2. My husband's name is Randy.

I would say to all you ladies that are experiencing a lower libido to not be discouraged or to give up on your bedroom activities with you special someone. Instead look at this as an opportunity to experiment with new ideas, positions, toys, ect... This is also a prime opportunity to work on better communication with your significant other. Don't want to have sex? Okay, offer a back rub, snuggle, or whatever. It never ceases to amaze me that even when I feel a littlw low in the libido if I offer another way to express my love and affection all of sudden my engine is reving to go. I am currently feeling low in my libido but that is from recently having a baby and long nights while we work on his sleep schedule, but I try to show my hunky hubby that he is special to me. I know that once we have the newest baby settled we will be doing some fun bedroom activities ourselves. Good luck to all my fellow Peeps out there.

randygrl
07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
I am happy to report that for week 2 of the hubby and I being on the diet has seen an increase in libido and has led to making lots of cookies. :) I feel really happy about this since my hormones seem to finally be returning to "normal" after having baby 3 months ago.

canadjineh
07-25-2014, 05:04 PM
I am happy to report that for week 2 of the hubby and I being on the diet has seen an increase in libido and has led to making lots of cookies. :) I feel really happy about this since my hormones seem to finally be returning to "normal" after having baby 3 months ago.
Perhaps his weight loss is releasing more hormones into his system as well, lol.

evemomma
07-25-2014, 05:26 PM

What are normal hormones? I wouldn't know :( !

Glad you are not having the effects of low libido. Mine didn't seem to going away until about a month or maybe two on the diet. Of course, right when I started feeling SO Much more confident about how I was looking.....grrrrrrrr!