Ideal Protein Diet - Is Everyone's Workplace Like This?

PacNW IP
01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Hi All,

I've been lurking on 3FC for a while now, just beginning my 4th week on IP, and it's great so far! I love coming onto the site and learning from all the IP veterans. It's very motivating and informative!

My question/issue is basically this: why do co-workers care what you do or don't eat? We're having a "pizza feed" at the office today to celebrate some year-end accomplishments. Obviously, pizza is way off my radar, so I just had some steamed broccoli with IP Broccoli/Cheese soup (yum! :)). But it seems like everytime I'm not stuffing my face with the rest of the group, people bother me about it. "C'mon, have some pizza", or "wow, vegetables, that's way too healthy". I guess I just don't understand why there is such an interest in what I eat. I never look at someone and say "Whoa! You definitely shouldn't eat that donut, try a salad instead".

I feel like what people eat is their own business. I have no problems answering questions if people are curious about what I'm eating, I just don't like being more or less ridiculed because I make healthier choices than most of my co-workers.

Does anyone else work with people like that? How do you deal with it? At what point does politeness go out the window?

Thanks for listening to my rant!

~Michelle

healthyangie
01-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Michelle - I don't think they're ridiculing you at all. For some reason, when people are being "naughty" - they usually like company so they don't feel so bad about it. Same as when someone's having a drink and they say - "Ah come on ... just one with me!"

I sit next to a very arrogant, ungodly thin young "boy" who continuously makes comments about my food (especially when I use my shaker!) and I finally just told him to keep it to himself, I didn't need or want the comments from peanut gallery. Being "nice" about it to that point didn't cut it so I had to be blunt. He's backed off.

In the meantime, remember you "stick out" a little more because you're most likely the ONLY one not eating the pizza ... and some may consider that not joining their celebration. But don't worry, kind words like - "Not doing the pizza thing right now" can go a long way and after a few of those statements, most people get it.

Good luck and nice job on the soup and broccoli - one of my favorite mixes!

maezy1
01-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Michelle, when I first started I got all kinds of comments like that. Now that I have lost 55lbs all of the sudden everyone's comments have changed. Sometimes people also feel jealous, envious when someone else is doing something great for themselves and they aren't. Especially if they need to lose some lbs too.
As you go along on IP you wont care what others think and the comments turn to positive ones as you become smaller

lisa32989
01-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi All,

I've been lurking on 3FC for a while now, just beginning my 4th week on IP, and it's great so far! I love coming onto the site and learning from all the IP veterans. It's very motivating and informative!

My question/issue is basically this: why do co-workers care what you do or don't eat? We're having a "pizza feed" at the office today to celebrate some year-end accomplishments. Obviously, pizza is way off my radar, so I just had some steamed broccoli with IP Broccoli/Cheese soup (yum! :)). But it seems like everytime I'm not stuffing my face with the rest of the group, people bother me about it. "C'mon, have some pizza", or "wow, vegetables, that's way too healthy". I guess I just don't understand why there is such an interest in what I eat. I never look at someone and say "Whoa! You definitely shouldn't eat that donut, try a salad instead".

I feel like what people eat is their own business. I have no problems answering questions if people are curious about what I'm eating, I just don't like being more or less ridiculed because I make healthier choices than most of my co-workers.

Does anyone else work with people like that? How do you deal with it? At what point does politeness go out the window?

~Michelle
Oh, a LOT of us get it. Somebody at a work holiday party basically told me if I didn't eat the salad there, I wasn't being healthy. :blah: It had ramen noodles and a sweet dressing! Nope. Not happening.

People definitely need to mind their own biz or I WILL start telling them what they SHOULDN'T eat!
(Oh, the joy of just THINKING about that! :devil: :lol: :s: :judge:)

BrittStar027
01-25-2013, 03:49 PM
My office can be like that at times as well and it's very frustrating. IP was actually recommended to me by a patient, so in that sense I'm grateful for my environment (lots of contact with lots of people). When I did IP the first time, the comments were irritating: "that diet can't work long term", "how can that be good for you?", "it's just so restrictive, you must be going crazy", "why don't you add ___ (insert something off protocol) to your salad?", and most recently now that I'm back on IP "I hope you're not doing that ridiculous diet again". I ignore most comments unless they become persistent at which point I politely say that I'm making changes in my habits for me. It can be very irritating, especially when people are stuffing their faces with something decadent. I just remind myself of how much I resent my weight gain and happily munch on my cucumbers. Good luck!!!

LexiChanel1
01-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Really funny stuff! same here. A really overweight lady I work with has started t hate me and tell others I am not a team player, you know beacuse I didnt eat the Giordanos stuffed pizza they ordered, and I brught my salad inti the cinference room. I can tell that she hates me and doesnt even feel like saying hello to me because I am not fat and pregnant anymore. She was so nice to me when I was 200 lbs. let the haters be motivators! tell them you are bodybuilding like I do, that should really get them going...... HAHAHAHA

DJ72
01-25-2013, 04:15 PM
My office is different. They are ALWAYS on diets and talk talk talk about it but NEVER lose any weight. Some have even been on IP. It is shameful. We have 2 gals who NEVER talk about it and have lost 50 lbs silently! Both were on IP...LOL
Yup...let the haters be motivators....that is the BEST line!

Ojenchilada
01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
I must be really lucky. People at work have commented on my food choices from time to time, but when I say, "I'm just eating vegetables and protein these days. Things had just gotten out of control," everyone has been really supportive. Most often, I've heard, "Oh, I need to do the exact same thing. I thought you had lost weight!" I figure there's no chance that people won't notice I'm eating rabbit food, whereas I'd usually be first in line for pizza or burgers.

lisa32989
01-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I must be really lucky. People at work have commented on my food choices from time to time, but when I say, "I'm just eating vegetables and protein these days. Things had just gotten out of control," everyone has been really supportive. Most often, I've heard, "Oh, I need to do the exact same thing. I thought you had lost weight!" I figure there's no chance that people won't notice I'm eating rabbit food, whereas I'd usually be first in line for pizza or burgers.
Yes! You work with very nice people. A lot of us aren't so lucky.

GoBears60
01-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi All,

~Michelle

This will work.
Co-worker "Please have a piece of this piece of cake I baked" Your response "No Thank you.”
Co-work now becomes pushy "Please have this piece of cake, one tiny piece won’t hurt!” Your response, “No thank you, I am trying to lose some weight”.
Co-work is rudely pushy “Just one piece, please” Take the cake, say “thank-you”, then toss it abruptly into the nearest garbage can and (optional) spit on it. The look on their face will be priceless, and they will never be pushy again.:devil:

Ojenchilada
01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Yes! You work with very nice people. A lot of us aren't so lucky.

I used to work for an absolute devil. Not only would she constantly try to get me to eat things I wasn't eating, or purposely schedule early morning meetings so I couldn't make it to my usual gym time -- She would actually say things like, "I was telling Charlie how huge and fat you used to be. He couldn't even believe it. He thought you had always just been a little chubby."

Still makes me cringe thinking about her. :mad:

So I guess I'm just hoping y'all will find more supportive coworkers! :hug:

PacNW IP
01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I used to work for an absolute devil. Not only would she constantly try to get me to eat things I wasn't eating, or purposely schedule early morning meetings so I couldn't make it to my usual gym time -- She would actually say things like, "I was telling Charlie how huge and fat you used to be. He couldn't even believe it. He thought you had always just been a little chubby."

Still makes me cringe thinking about her.

So I guess I'm just hoping y'all will find more supportive coworkers!

Wow, that's awful! I don't get how people think they have the right to make comments like that. Glad you don't work for her anymore. Sounds like an extremely toxic environment.

Thanks to all for your great responses; I've been cracking up over here! I'll have to try some of these suggestions :)

~Michelle

lisa32989
01-25-2013, 04:57 PM

What is WRONG with some people?!!!!

This will work.
Co-worker "Please have a piece of this piece of cake I baked" Your response "No Thank you.”
Co-work now becomes pushy "Please have this piece of cake, one tiny piece won’t hurt!” Your response, “No thank you, I am trying to lose some weight”.
Co-work is rudely pushy “Just one piece, please” Take the cake, say “thank-you”, then toss it abruptly into the nearest garbage can and (optional) spit on it. The look on their face will be priceless, and they will never be pushy again.:devil:
I LOVE it! I'd actually think about doing that b/c some people just don't realize how rude they are being. But I guarantee you, they'd point the finger at ME as the rude one (it would be worth it, tho!)

SassyGirl424
01-25-2013, 05:32 PM
We do a lot of "cake" celebrations and sometimes pretzels (Philly Pretzels) or popcorn...

Sometimes I will get a piece of cake or a pretzel and bring it back to my office "for later". I'll wrap it in a napkin or something....and then quietly throw it away later or sometimes bring it home to hubby at the end of the day.

It's easier than trying to explain my reason for "not" participating in the celebration.

Pizza lunches are harder to do that with. That's when I use the "eating healthy" explanation -- though I was just thinking maybe I could claim I had a gluten allergy to get out of those!

Nolawhodatchick
01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
In my experience, sometimes when people say I could eat the salad, or the chicken, or the corn, carrots, etc...and "don't I want to have some"...it's because they don't want me to be left out. And they have no clue what my dietary requirements are. Nor do they have a clue that some of the things they are recommending aren't really healthy, diet or not. Some people think all salad is healthy-mayonaise, sugar dressing, croutons, bacon bits, battered fried onion bits and all. They think corn and carrots ARE veggies. I know some people have been very sincere in trying to "include" me but they are just clueless. I've found people who have been on low carb/high protein diets, and especially if they are familiar with IP, are a bit better.

IP43
01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
On the "other side" someone is watching you and thinking "Wow -- if they can do that so can I". I've had several people at work see my success and really work on eating healthier. We now talk about different "tidbits", share some great bar or shake someone found etc. One co-worker was so impressed with my strength on "snack days" she's doing the same, and is losing weight and feeling great! When I fell off the wagon for a bit, it would be HER who would say "no thanks" and that has also re-motivated ME to go back to saying no thanks too, as I know she used to be impressed with my resolve.
There's lots of ways to handle it but really, it's no one's business what you eat, and a "no thanks" should do.

Ali Williams
01-25-2013, 09:31 PM

So I guess I'm just hoping y'all will find more supportive coworkers! :hug:

Wow! That's so awful! That actually reminds of a cringe worthy coworker I had where I was used to work. She actually made me nervous because I began to anticipate her next back handed remark which was nerve-racking. I hope you are no longer subjected to her anymore.

If there is one thing that really bothers me, it's women who "don't get along with other women." I am sure you all know the ones I am referring to because they say it almost as if to brag or insinuating that other women are jealous of them. I think it's quite the opposite. I take pride in building strong relationships with other women I work with both directly and indirectly. I hate to see women ripping on other women for no real reason other than their own insecurity. I have also noticed that the so called offenses they cite as reasons to dislike a particular woman are the exact same behaviors they actually like or at least overlook in their male counterparts. Just not cool.

There will always be people you don't care for along the way just as there are those you prefer but outright rude behavior is so uncalled for, particularly when it has no real basis. I don't mean to sound like I am preaching but as women I do feel we should be more supportive and even protective of each other when we can because there is no shortage of negative people to knock us down for no reason so do we really need to join in?

Ali

Fishette
01-25-2013, 09:37 PM
And it doesn't end...my office mate today told me that I am her experiment. She wants to know if it is even possible for a woman our age to maintain weight loss. She is a good friend, so I know if she is thinking it, so are many others. Probably more watching me now that when I was eating salads at the holiday parties. I'm turning their fascination into my motivation.

I'm still in Phase 3 and will be until Valentines Day. Then I go on vacation and plan on a week-long fun day. When I get back I'll go back to Phase 1 to get the fun off my thighs. I haven't had any problem at all on Phase 3 and no weight gain, even though I eat about 100 grams of carbs a day.

Lindsayanne716
01-25-2013, 09:45 PM
There is a lady in my office that is constantly watching what I'm eating. At first I thought she was judging me for being overweight and then I realized its actually coming from her own insecurities and issues with food. Now when she makes comments or checks out what I'm eating I don't take it personally and just shrug it off and be glad that I'm not so obsessed with the way I look that I'm willing to starve myself and only eat a few strawberries each day for lunch. Also, when you say no they are just wishing they had as much willpower as you.

breezie68
01-25-2013, 09:50 PM
I am very fortunate with my officemates being my biggest cheerleaders! They watch what I eat and are fascinated. They always pick restaurants I can join in, make sure to get food I can enjoy as well (they got BBQ the other day, but brought me grilled chicken breast from the BBQ place so I wouldn't feel left out), and genuinely encourage me. I love them :) I have an office of 50 people, and I think everyone knows I'm on this diet and am cheering me on.

bubbleblower
01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Even during the holidays people didn't pester a whole lot. These days I either telework or eat behind closed doors in my office to read the newspaper, so no one even knows (or cares, honestly) what I'm eating. In any case, I think they'd get the hint after the first couple of, "No, thanks" and "I already ate" responses.

tam67green
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
I am very fortunate with my officemates being my biggest cheerleaders! They watch what I eat and are fascinated. They always pick restaurants I can join in, make sure to get food I can enjoy as well (they got BBQ the other day, but brought me grilled chicken breast from the BBQ place so I wouldn't feel left out), and genuinely encourage me. I love them :) I have an office of 50 people, and I think everyone knows I'm on this diet and am cheering me on.

Wow, guess I'm luckier than I realized! Like breezie, everyone on my team knows I am doing IP, and they are all super encouraging. Another team member is also doing IP, so we trade recipes, exchange ideas, and occasionally trade packets to try new things without buying a box. It's been really great! People know that I weigh in on Wednesday evenings, so they usually ask the new day how I did. Of course, some weeks come with very little loss, but everyone is always saying things like, "That's OK, it's still going down, that's the right direction." I've got such great co-workers!

WorldTraveleronIP
01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm fortunate as well in my work environment. I told my staff that I was on a protein/veggie diet only. So, when we plan meetings out, they make sure I can get salad and lean protein. I have no other co-workers on IP to share with (So I can't wait to get on this forum each day), but I do have a co-worker/friend who just had lap band surgery, so she too is on a restrictive protein/veggie diet. We walk together and focus on the our losses and what it will bring us. I am usually so secretive with my dieting (minus my staff and friends) and I don't like people bringing up my loss or asking me how much I have lost (only 2 friends have commented) that I don't leave much room for people to ask me. I think it's trauma from being a chubby child that was teased. I am extremely sensitive about my weight/food issues. I would not have made it in the horrible job situation that ojenchilada faced-in fact-I might have gone to HR and complained. I think some people are despicable!

When it comes to weight loss/weight management,I separate people into 2 camps: those who get it and those who don't. Guess who I speak to on a "need to" basis only?

:)

foreveryoung
01-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Mine is like that but who cares? I am the one who will be showing off the new me! I really don't care about what others say, I just care about me when comes eating at work, that mentality is that had helped me to go thru.

VermontMom
01-26-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm not on IP but my co-workers (and employers!! husband/wife team, it's a small business) SCRUTINIZE and comment on my food. It probably doesn't help that it's a deli/bakery, and any other co-workers eat the food there so I guess that I bring in my own food seems a reflection in some way. They will actually peer into my bowl as I eat (I don't get a break time so I have to eat standing up, lurking in the sidelines of the deli).

It can either make me feel super self-conscious or rightgeously pissed, lol.

There is also a salesman who is there often enough that you'd think he works there. He once tried to offer me a baked treat that I just did not want. He would not give up . Three times I said 'no thank you' politely then he started lecturing me that, 'when you deny yourself something, you end up wanting it more and bingeing on it, instead of having a reasonable amount'. He was literally pushing the bar towards me. I took his wrist in my hand, and used considerable pressure :devil: to push it away.

the same salesman said a couple weeks ago, 'does Vermontmom have a new pair of jeans today?' and I stopped in my tracks, turned to him and said, 'that makes me feel so self-conscious, I'm not going to answer that, and I hope to never hear it again'.

Gawd.

Copperhead31
01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Why is it that people feel the need to get in your business? I have a co-worker that always said, "you would be so pretty if you just lost weight!" When I lost weight she wouldn't talk to me at all. Then, when I gained 10 pounds over the Christmas holiday, she was all smiles, telling me in her oh-so-saccharin voice that she was soooo sorry I failed! Aaagh! The urge to rip her hair out was almost overwhelming!:devil:
Wait till she sees me in my new smaller pants next week...that will fix her little red wagon!

sahmmommy2
01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm with Angie on this one. People still comment to me too, but I've also noticed people are really starting to see the weight come off and are amazed. Eating is such a social thing! We spend lots of time eating with family, friends, coworkers. I think it's hard for people NOT to comment and they probably don't realize it may be offending to those of us struggling with weight and trying to make healthy changes.

Nolawhodatchick
01-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Why is it that people feel the need to get in your business? I have a co-worker that always said, "you would be so pretty if you just lost weight!" When I lost weight she wouldn't talk to me at all. Then, when I gained 10 pounds over the Christmas holiday, she was all smiles, telling me in her oh-so-saccharin voice that she was soooo sorry I failed! Aaagh! The urge to rip her hair out was almost overwhelming!:devil:
Wait till she sees me in my new smaller pants next week...that will fix her little red wagon!

As the saying goes, "The best revenge is living a good life." Petty, mean people are what they are, and their punishment is the world that they create for themselves. Don't let them bring you down :carrot: