Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Depression has lead me to Binge eating...

Everyone binges once in a while right? Myself included we all know it happens at some time. Lately though, I've been binging at least once a day for the past 2 or 3 weeks, which is A LOT for me because that would only happen maybe once a month. I know the culprit has been this depressed mood I've been in...

Back in late November I decided to try to get back on track with my weight loss. I lost 9lbs but because of the holidays i gained back maybe 2-3 which wasn't too bad. In the first week of Janurary I had a family member pass away, my work job got harder, and some relationship problems arised with my boyfriend. All of those problems have caused me to feel very worn down and sad/upset pretty much all the time....except when I eat.

I have no motivation to go to work and get things done, clean the house, get "dressed up" and even going out with friends or my boyfriend. Everything seems like such a chore and all I wish to do is sleep and lay in bed. The binging episodes then started and that feels like the only time of the day i seem to "enjoy." In November i weighed 162lbs, well now I'm back up to 165.8lbs.

Obviously that weight gain has even made me more depressed. I know I have to stop binging, It's the only thing I have complete control of. Any tips or advice on how to do so when you feel like its the only thing that brings you joy? I know if i start losing pounds again, even if its slow it will make me feel a lot better about myself because right now I seem to have the self esteem of a piece of moldy cheese.
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #2  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

No great words of advice, but wanted you to know you are heard. Have you seen anyone about the bingeing in the past? I undrestand about the depression and how hard it is - it sounds like you've had so much to deal with lately so of course you're going to look for comfort.

What sometimes helps me is trying to project ahead. I love to eat ice cream at night and can eat a big bowl(or sometimes just out of the carton) in a few minutes..I try to think ahead to how I will feel in 5 minutes, 10 minutes, an hour. I take myself as far away from the kitchen as I can get and try to absorb muslef in a different activity(like posting here). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Please keep posting - there are lots of smart folks on here who will have good advice for you.
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Try not to keep anything in the house you know you are prone to binging on. I personally do not keep anything here that I'm likely to go over board on. It helps.

When you feel that desire to binge come on, drink a full 16 ounces of water, strap on those sneaks, and head out the door for a good walk/jog/run...whatever. Just get out the door and go! The bonus of this is, even if you feel down or like crap when you start, you will feel better at the end! (At least I do, anyway!)

These two weapons in my arsenal have kept me from binging and overeating since I started my weight loss 1 January.

I have suffered from depression since I was very young. I understand the lows and how hard it is to enjoy anything other than food during those low times. I hope you rise out of your depression soon, and get back on track like you want to be.

Hugs and well wishes!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #4  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

Binge eating is my worst depression symptom. It lead me to gain 110 pounds in a year. My doctor prescribed me antidepressants because my weight gaining symptom was becoming a health risk but I have decided to go in the health route instead. I hope you can get to a point where you can be happy again and if you ever need someone to talk to, don't be afraid to message me on here. Good luck chick!
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #5  

I am reading the book "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. It's very helpful so far. There is a website that explains the book pretty well. I also like the Brain over Binge site but haven't ordered that book yet.
mingming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #6  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the distracting yourself advice. Although it is difficult to, say, get out and exercise when you can barely leave your bed let alone your house. What I've found helpful (though not entirely foolproof) is to find even one thing that gives you the same feeling of safety and security that food gives you. Even if it's an arsenal of a few favourite movies (for depression I gravitate towards superhero movies...), and if you want to binge, lie in bed and stare blankly at your favourite movie. It might not be much, but the dialogue will catch your brain out a bit and distract you if not from food, then from any cacophony you have going on inside your head.

I also like to have a depressed playlist on my phone, so that if I'm feeling up to going out I put that on and head out for a walk, no matter how short. It's not even about exercise, it's not punishment, or "making up for" something you've eaten, it's just as a technique for distracting your mind long enough to shake some of the cobwebs loose.

I find that getting into video games has also helped significantly with my depression. I seem to remember a study showing that, essentially, the sense of focus and achievement you get from completing tasks in a game stimulates the same parts of the brain that are activated in real-life achievements, which may feel out of reach when you're depressed. Plus, it takes your mind off things for a while.

Also, posting on here. It's like journaling, only with an understanding ear at the other end.

I did actually write up a list once, of all the emotions that went through my head as I went from a trigger event into a pit of black depression. Who knows how I managed that, but once I felt better, I analysed it a lot, and that's how I found ways to interrupt the process. A bit like "my boss was nasty > I feel worthless > I remember my failures > I think about how my life could be better if I hadn't failed > I compare that ideal with how I'm feeling now > nothing is worth it > I'm a piece of **** because everyone else can get it together, but not me > I need comfort > I need food > I feel guilty > I have no willpower > I'll never amount to anything > it's all pointless" Not as clear-cut or simplistic as that, but if you can find the antidote to even one stage of that downward spiral, and use it at the appropriate point, you can go a long way. Even if you've got to the binge part, try to knock out the guilt part to stop the cycle perpetuating itself.

And I find that sometimes lying in bed and going to sleep is the only option for giving your subconscious the chance to process what you're feeling.

I wish I could be of more help, I hope you find things that work for you, these are just things that often work for me. And I hope you begin to feel better very soon
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #7  

I must say you should control! I struggled with binge-eating disorder and not been able to stop. Then my friend aksed me to check out Heal Your Hunger. Yes, they have been so helpful to me and specialize in helping people who have tried lots of things already...to no avail.
Paulsarah is offline   Reply With Quote