100 lb. Club - goal weights

View Full Version : goal weights

April Snow
01-24-2013, 12:42 AM
I started to type out a lengthy response to a post in a different forum (waves to Melissa) and realized that rather than hijack someone's specific question, I would like to continue general discussion of the subject of figuring out a goal weight. So here I am to ask - did you pick a goal weight? If yes, how? If not, why and how do you think you will know when you are there?

One of the things I mentioned on the other thread was the weight loss calculator on the Dukan Diet site. It isn't the Oracle of Delphi or anything but I found it an interesting process to go through. In my case, the suggested target weight was 181 - a lot higher than any numbers I had been thinking about and I'm not sure I am going to accept it as my goal weight.

But I do believe the concept of what is reasonable and sustainable is an important one to think about. I've been carrying dozens and dozens of extra pounds for almost 40 years now (I'm 50). I've been through a pregnancy. I'm 50, and peri-menopausal. I'm a yo-yo dieter and have lost and gained and lost and gained 50 or more pounds several times.

Maybe I could reach 140 or some other low sounding number that is labeled as my ideal weight but how hard would I have to work to do it? And how hard would I have to work to stay there? And esp given my history of regaining, would I be setting myself up for more continuation of that cycle by trying to get to a number that may realistically be too low given the totality of my history.

In a totally different context - about deciding whether to have another child - some people I know use the test of "what if someone told you that you couldn't have another baby, how would you react?" And if the response is immediate defiance and the thought that "of course I can!" that helps define the answer. But if the response is "well, I guess I would end up being happy with the number of kids I have now" then that helps define the answer too.

For me, not having a knee-jerk "**** no!" reaction to 181 is helping me try to stay more open to where this journey ends and I am thinking I probably will be one of those people whose goal weight finds them.

Where are you on this issue and how did you get there?

merilung
01-24-2013, 12:48 AM
I made a goal weight of 135, just based on what other women in my family weighed in their 20's and what I personally looked/felt like when I weighed 145 10 years ago. I'm fine with modifying my goal weight when I get closer to it - either higher or lower, as need be. I very much want to have an extremely active lifestyle (think marathon running and 2,000+ mile hikes) so I'm not all THAT worried about maintaining a weight on the low end of normal or the high end of underweight. Obviously, if I put on more muscle I might have a higher end-weight and I'm certainly fine with that.

ghost
01-24-2013, 01:34 AM
My initial goal weight is 175 based on a previous milestone the last time I lost all this weight. 175 was what I weighed the day I graduated from high school. It's arbitrary but still somewhat significant. My ultimate goal weight is 158, based on my last adult low weight when I was 28, I'm 33 now so there is no real reason why I can't get there and maintain.

I think there is something to be said about setting goal weights, and does setting mini goals along he way keep one more motivated, or are certain people just "big picture" kind of people where the smaller goals don't motivate them as much as the larger goals. Both work for me, however my smaller goals are based on NSV, fitting into smaller pants, wrist bones, collar bones, tall boots over my fat Legs lol! I don't want to make this journey just about the number on the scale.

ghost
01-24-2013, 01:36 AM
You just gave me a really good topic to write about for my next blog post, thanks!

lunarsongbird
01-24-2013, 01:59 AM
My ideal weight is smack dab in the middle of the "normal BMI" weight range- and I'd like to have a 27% body fat percentage- smack dab in the "normal range" again. At the moment, I'm 47.3% fat. -_-

AlmostMe
01-24-2013, 03:36 AM
I also did the Dukan ideal weight calculation and it came out a bit higher than I might have expected. But for me that was a comfort, because I've always felt that I 'need' to weigh more. Can't remember the exact number...

In a sense though - I'm so far from my final goal weight, it almost doesn't matter. In my head I'd like to get just inside the 'normal' BMI range.

But one of my REAL goals is to be fit enough to referee youth rugby and to do that for a long time (I am 42) To be fast enough to do that, I need to lose a lot of weight. (I also need to learn the rules, get qualified, etc - so I have a long way to go).

I also have a goal of fitting into a US size 12 and then I will see how I feel.

sontaikle
01-24-2013, 07:48 AM
I did the Dukan diet calculator a while ago, when I was early on in my weight loss. It put me at 141 pounds as my ideal weight.

My "goal" has changed several times throughout the course of my weight loss. I first set it as 160, because I figured that normal BMI for my height was just "so skinny" and I could never get there. As I approached 160, I realized that I definitely had more to lose so I made it 140—the highest normal BMI for my height. As I hit that number (which wound up really being 130, because my scale was ADDING 10lbs), I wasn't quite happy with my body, so I moved it lower.

I have to say I never really expected to get where I am now, not in a million years. I always thought I had a large build (when it's really obvious that I DON'T now) and that I would be too skinny at anything below 140lbs. Granted, if I were not lifting and taking group fitness classes, I assume that this weight would be hard to maintain.

I really don't know how to ever say that one is "there." For me this is never ending. If I'm not losing weight then there are lifts I could be better at, muscle to build, etc. I'm a maintainer, but I'm still working toward changing my body in some way.

synger
01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
I have not been below 200 pounds in over 30 years... so the idea of an ultimate goal weight is rather daunting, and feels like a castle in the sky: something pretty but ultimately unattainable or ephemeral.

I used to say 150 was my goal, because it's a nice round number. It's above the "normal" range, but so much healthier a number than I ever remember seeing that it feels almost do-able.

When I think about how hard it is to lose just 10 pounds when I'm this heavy, I can't imagine how hard it will be to lose "the last 10" when I'm closer to a fit size. And I seriously cannot imagine my body at my "ideal" weight of 130. I just can't wrap my head around it.

So instead of thinking of an ultimate goal number, I try to focus on the next 10-20 pounds. When I'm there, I'll worry about the rest.

Vex
01-24-2013, 09:20 AM
I chose 140 as it gives me wiggle room to stay in the normal BMI range.

I have to say I never really expected to get where I am now, not in a million years. I always thought I had a large build (when it's really obvious that I DON'T now) and that I would be too skinny at anything below 140lbs.

I think so many people think they have a 'large frame' when they're sitting over 200 lbs when in fact they don't. Best thing in my opinion is set your goal to where you think you can attain and then evaluate as you get closer if you want to change it.

Don't worry about the goal so much, focus on moving in the downward direction.

April Snow
01-24-2013, 09:32 AM
It's really helpful to read these. A couple of things that particularly stood out for me.

I really don't know how to ever say that one is "there." For me this is never ending. If I'm not losing weight then there are lifts I could be better at, muscle to build, etc. I'm a maintainer, but I'm still working toward changing my body in some way.

I don't know if I will be working on changing my body in terms of intense gym workouts - I'm the single mom of an elementary school aged child and gym time is just not in the equation at this point. Physically, what I'm really working towards is being able to lead a much more active lifestyle with my son - hiking, biking, etc. and less about changing my body. But then I see the results others have had, and maybe some of that will be on the table eventually too, when I can leave him unsupervised to go work out.

But yes, goal =/= done. My plan has 4 phases, and getting to your final weight is only then end of phase 2, so definitely a lot more work to go after that.

So instead of thinking of an ultimate goal number, I try to focus on the next 10-20 pounds. When I'm there, I'll worry about the rest.

This is how I plan to look at it when I get back down to 198. After all, I was there and I a) know I can do it, and b) know that I had more to lose.

Somewhere below there is the number/body/clothing size that I am happy and thrilled to achieve or that I get to and realize that the amount of energy to go below that would be counterproductive to maintaining it. And I think I will be figuring that out 5 or 10 lbs at a time.

I also have some vague idea of perhaps doing a resting point where I maintain for a significant time, adjust to that, and then at some later time, re-engage to take off another bit. I'm not sure how realistic that it, I may find maintainence is challenging enough. And in terms of buying clothing, I would not want to invest in a whole new wardrobe at size X if my ultimate goal is X-1 or 2. But I keep reminding myself that none of this is set in stone and I can adjust and adapt as I need to.

chubbiegurl
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks I tried the dukan diet calculator it told
Me my current weight of 128 was where I should be. I think it was kinda neat because it took other things into consideration, versus just your weight and height. I do believe I have a few more lbs to lose, but who knows maybe maintaining a lower weight will prove to be too challenging. I chose my goal based on where I felt comfortable last time I lost weight, I do see my old body a bit but still think I wi have to lose more than last time.

Now when u wrote the baby thing, I thought that's fine I don't want anymore. That might be because my kids r each 6 years appart. They r 15,9 and 3. I guess maybe in another couple of years I'll change my mind. Nah maybe not or I will never be done raising kids. Not to say that u r ever really done once your a mother, but u know what I mean, I assume.

Kat117
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
My goal is 120 pounds based on doctor recomendation. I need to have a definitive goal to shoot for. I only aim for 10 pounds at a time though.

lunarsongbird
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
OOoh! Interesting. I did the Dukan Diet calculator and it told me 157. It also expressed, "This is above the weight that you wanted, but it is a good weight, a weight that you can easily achieve and maintain. Have confidence in me about this. "

And I totally agree with this. Part of me wants to get to 135-140 to see how it feels, but in "real life with someday kids"...I think I will maintain at around 155.

Interesting! Great post, April!

Tepster
01-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Very interesting question! I've been struggling with my weight for what seems like forever and I've always wanted to get down to 160. I would say back to, but I can't even remember the last time I was that size - maybe freshman year in high school? My little sister is 5'5" and works out like a beast and fluctuates between 140 and 145 pounds, and I'm a full 2+ inches taller (and fuller-figured, I think).

Technically, 160 pounds is the very upper limits for someone my height (between 5'7.5" and 5'8"), but I think I'd look funny if I got too thin. I also agree with the other posters, I am more than happy to change my goal once I get closer and can really evaluate how I feel, my energy levels, etc.

Good luck!

mnemosyne
01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
This is an interesting thread. I am looking forward to my next mini-goal because it will be WELL more than 1/2 to my ultimate goal. Whatever that is. Normal BMI? That seems - virtually impossible, right now. I don't remember my past weight very well, but I know, hmm. That I was 140 lbs in sixth grade.

So when I reach my current goal I'm going to change my new goal to Onederland and if(?) I get there I will change it again and at that point play it by ear. See how I'm losing and how I feel.

I DO like that there's a diet site that is willing to break with the standard BMI thing by focusing on a sustainable goal weight rather than "you have to reach 'healthy' BMI." Because I would definitely rather reach 199 or 180 or 160 and maintain it than go beneath that through extreme measures and bounce back up. Though if I CAN reach a healthy BMI and maintain, well, I would prefer that.

LockItUp
01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
I did the calculator and it said I'm currently at my ideal, but I don't believe that is so. I even played around and put my current weight as 200 and it said 136 as my ideal.

I originally picked 165 for my goal, but as I got below 200 I knew I could do better because I had been in the 140s just 6 years ago. So I picked 145, but as I got lower I decided ya I was in the 140s 6 years ago but I had stopped short of my goal, so I picked 135. As I got into the 140s I knew that wasn't going to do so I lowered it to 125. I guess we will see if that will do. I do have a small frame so I could probably be at the very low end of normal BMI and still look healthy and nice. I won't know until I get there.

Garnet2727
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
I've chosen a goal weight of 175. That is 15 pounds above normal BMI. I chose this weight because of my age (49), my frame (large) and my history of always being overweight or obese. My doctor concurs with this goal. For someone like me, aiming for a normal BMI might not be in my best interest.

thnknthin1
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I chose 160 as my goal probably because it's what I weighed my senior year in HS. Not picking my freshman weight of 120! Right now 160 seems so far away like a pipedream to me. But I figured if I put 140 it would seem that much further and possibly discourage me. I think once I reach goal I will then reassess my goals, especially since I have no idea what I will look like, and see what weight I would like to be. I do believe though once I am more fit and toning by then I may find 160 fits me just fine.....muscle weighs more than fat! :)

Angihas2
01-24-2013, 04:12 PM
It told me 178 lbs. I had picked 169, since it's the upper limit for my height, which varies from 5'9.5-5'11, depending on which dr I'm seeing. Which falls in line with my plan that as I got nearer to 180, to begin using clothing, how I feel and look as my measurement. Sure, I'd love to weigh in at a svelte 125 once more in my life, however, I weighed that pre-kids, pre-30s. I'm now cruising towards 38 (how the crap did THAT happen?!?!?!) and I've had 3 kids. I also refuse to base a weight based on someone else's ideal of what looks good. I have boobs, I've always had boobs, I'd like to keep those boobs. I want something that feels good, looks good and isn't a constant struggle to maintain. I've lurked in the maintainers forum, the successful maintainers seem to pick a range of 3-7 punds, some as high as 10 as their absolute highest/lowest range. This to me is realistic. There WILL be flucuations, it's gearing up the movement and scaling back the calories, and they're right back to their target. I have zero intention of spending the rest of my life battling the same 20-30 pounds over and over and over.

I do have to admit, there's a part of me that wants to weigh in at LESS than 170. Vanity, definitely, but we all have ours.

Garnet2727
01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
I've chosen a goal weight of 175. That is 15 pounds above normal BMI. I chose this weight because of my age (49), my frame (large) and my history of always being overweight or obese. My doctor concurs with this goal. For someone like me, aiming for a normal BMI might not be in my best interest.

I just did the Dukan calculator and it said my true weight is 176. Interesting!

mccull83
01-24-2013, 06:10 PM
I based my goal weight on how I remember feeling when I weighed 180, that I don't want this is make me a prisoner to food and obsessed over what I'm eating/how I exercise. I also just want to fit into all the clothes in my closet. I'm hoping to eventually make it to 180, then see what it takes to maintain that before going crazy and loosing more, but definitely keeping an opened mind to losing more

Trazey34
01-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I always thought 135 - 140 would be awesome, I'm 5'9

But as I got to 165 I thought...woah! ha, so I went down to 160 and I've stayed there! My face is still full enough that I don't have that gaunt "just lost a ton of weight old face" ha ha but my numbers are all right where they need to be health-wise

I might revise but I can maintain 160 without being miserable. And LASTING at this is what's really important to me

berryblondeboys
01-24-2013, 06:26 PM
So, goal weights. Well, this is me at 165 pounds all dressed up (with no shape wear).
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/melissa_sinclair2003/535343_10150890260342579_670396196_n_zpsd530a74d.j pg

I think I can get there and would LIKE to get about 5 pounds less as I was teetering between sizes - between an 8 and a 10.

My husband thinks I should maintain around 175 which has me solidly in a size 10.

I'm undecided on what to do. I think it would be easier to decide if I didn't have so much loose skin.... Here is my arm (also at around 165).

All of that from the muscle down is loose skin (with it being wrinkly loose skin around stretch marks near the arm pit). It even hangs at the elbows.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g80/melissa_sinclair2003/553749_10150993018137579_728498004_n_zpseb838c63.j pg

I've lifted weights and have gotten stronger, but I'll never be able to fill out all that skin in the arms unless I turned into a female Hulk Hogan.

Mozzy
01-24-2013, 06:29 PM
I picked 145, high end of normal bmi. Dukan put me at 156, that seems reasonable given my history.
At the moment I'd be thrilled just to be back in onederland

April Snow
01-24-2013, 06:52 PM
I always thought 135 - 140 would be awesome, I'm 5'9

But as I got to 165 I thought...woah! ha, so I went down to 160 and I've stayed there! My face is still full enough that I don't have that gaunt "just lost a ton of weight old face" ha ha but my numbers are all right where they need to be health-wise

I might revise but I can maintain 160 without being miserable. And LASTING at this is what's really important to me

ha, I posted earlier today on another thread about not wanting gaunt old lady face! :lol: I carry so much weight in my upper body, including my face and neck, that I still looked very fat in the face at 198. Hoping that eventually, I'll end up with a nice youthful looking round face instead of a fat one. :)

dancinginpaint
01-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I picked 145, at 247 I was at my gyno thinking there may have been a chance that I was pregnant. It turns out I was not, and he said he wanted to see me lose 100lbs, before getting pregnant. So while I have been trying for over a year to get pregnant, I am also trying to get rid of 100lbs.

SweetTreat80
01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I've always wanted to be 125bs because that number just sounds awesome lol but I also know with my muscle mass there is no way I could. I picked 145lbs because I thought it sounded good and it was below 150, for me however I actually think I might end up at 160-170. Just taking it pound by pound and seeing how I look and feel at each new spot.

berryblondeboys
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
ha, I posted earlier today on another thread about not wanting gaunt old lady face! :lol: I carry so much weight in my upper body, including my face and neck, that I still looked very fat in the face at 198. Hoping that eventually, I'll end up with a nice youthful looking round face instead of a fat one. :)

yep... places I never thought I would have loose skin as who thinks about such places? But my chin (where my double chin used to be) is loose skin and it's the wrinkly type loose skin. So nice! :(

Angihas2
01-24-2013, 09:12 PM
The loose skin, for me is the worst. ALL and I do mean ALL of my weigh is in that spot from just below my diaphragm to the meat apron that used to hang down over my thighs. My arms are 14" my thighs are 22", bigger than alot of women, but given my height and build, pretty slim, I've always had muscular arms/legs due to horseback riding, softball and soccer, all of which I still participate in, I'm so worried I'll have 20 lbs of loose skin hanging below my ribs I've started a fund to have it removed. I can wear boy cut shorts/board shorts, 1/4 sleeve shirts and hide any looseness there, but I'm poretty sure given my weight loss history, I'll continue to be in size 15/13 juniors well into the 190's, ALL BECAUSE OF THE SKIN. Every bit of loose change/loose 1's and 5's that are in my pockets at the end of the day or in my purse or diaper bag at the end of the week get dumped into 5 gallon water bottles. I have 3 of them full.

Radiojane
01-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I picked 200, because 215 is the lowest I can remember. Dukan says 230. Secretly I'd love to be well under 200.

AlmostMe
01-25-2013, 03:39 AM
I just re-did my calculation it comes out at 155 for me - it's slightly into the overweight range. I'm cool with that. I personally believe the BMI ranges are wrong and are too low...especially for someone like me who IS large framed and puts on muscle mass easily. Maybe when I'm an old lady and my muscle is less dense, I'll need to weigh less.

amandie
01-25-2013, 04:16 AM
Interesting! I picked 150 because that was the lowest I have been in my adult life, right out of HS and I felt good at the time. Of course, I just had lost 50 lbs since I was nearing 200 at 15/16 years old so that could have something to do with why I remember feeling so good about that weight. I probably would have kept going lower had it not been for college and partying, lol.

Like some others, I may re-evaluate once I get to goal. I likely will now that I know more about lifting weights, body composition and just being stronger in general.

Babybat
01-25-2013, 04:53 AM
I chose my goal weight on my own, seemed about average. I might twerk it a little WHEN I get closer :D But for now 140 is good. I think I'll cry WHEN I make it to 200lbs...
I say when because I mean business with this weight loss!

It's not easy for everyone, but the rewards cannot compare to all the pain and struggling...you can do it!

mccull83
01-25-2013, 10:52 AM
I chose my goal weight on my own, seemed about average. I might twerk it a little WHEN I get closer :D But for now 140 is good. I think I'll cry WHEN I make it to 200lbs...
I say when because I mean business with this weight loss!

It's not easy for everyone, but the rewards cannot compare to all the pain and struggling...you can do it!

I agree, when that scale reads 200 pounds or less I'll probably freak out and dance around!! THAT DAY'S COMING!

lunarsongbird
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
I agree, when that scale reads 200 pounds or less I'll probably freak out and dance around!! THAT DAY'S COMING!

For me...it's all about 199. ONEderland. Aaaah... I think I'm going to reward myself with something really special when I hit 199.

Laura78
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Like others, I picked mine to be in the mid-range for my height. I like wiggle room!

With that said, the last time I was 140 lbs was in high school.....so maybe it's wishful thinking!

KatMarie
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
At first I picked the highest for my normal bmi range. Turns out I have a small frame and I look and feel best at where I'm at now. And I'm really 5'6".5

thnknthin1
01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh how I can't wait to get to Onederland! When I first started this it seemed getting under 200 was sooooo far away, a pipedream to me. I dreamed of seeing 199 on the scale and probably crying when I see it. This morning I weighed in at 211.0 and thought to myself that dream is getting closer and closer, it's finally becoming a reality. To me it's all downhill from there to get to goal!

linJber
01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I picked 152 for several reasons. It is in the "normal" range for my height, it was a loss of 100 pounds, I was 155 when I was in my late 20s and early 30s and it was a good weight. Also - I thought I could maintain it. I was 145 in high school and didn't even want to try for that at my age (60 when I started.)

I am not a yo-yo loser. I went up and down a little in my mid 20s and early 30s, but not anything huge. I got up to over 250 pounds in my mid - late 30s and stayed there for 22- 24 years. When I started losing, I wanted to lose 100 pounds. It would sound so cool to say it! LOL. As I got smaller and more fit, I realized that 152 was going to look bad in the saggy skin department. I think Berryblondeboys and I are cut from the same cloth! At about 175 I realized my skin was getting saggy. By 162, I realized I had to stop or I would never be happy with the loose skin. the difference between 172 and 162 was big. As it is now, I weigh (and have maintained) between 160 and 165 most of the time. This looks pretty good in clothes - even short sleeves and shorts. Actually, not much worse than most of my friends who are also over 60 and have never been heavy. When I first hit this weight, my face was too thin. Now it's filled back in a bit and looks normal instead of "have you been sick." I'm trading these last 10 pounds for being comfortable with how I look. Pure vanity. 100%.

One thing that makes it easier at this age is I didn't have the expectations I might have had at 30. But at 30, my skin would not have been stretched for 20+ years and might have snapped back better. It's like I have size 14 skin and a size 10 body. It's never going to tighten up. It's been 16 months of maintenance - My face has changed for the better, but my bat wings, thigh wrinkles, and poochie stomach are still the same. They are mine for life.

I am perfectly happy to stay here in the low 160s. I'd like to try to get just below, perhaps to 158, so my bounce range is between that and 160-161 rather than 162 to 165 like it is now. DD gets married in May. I'm trying for 158 by then. This feels so good compared to 250+ that I can't imagine needing to lose more for health's sake. And it feels so good I can't imagine letting myself go back up. At about 168 - 170 my clothes will not fit the way I want them to. Pants will be too tight. I refuse to buy bigger things. I have nothing that is bigger than what fits now except for a pair of size 24 jeans from my top weight. I hope that this is enough to keep me in the 160s for the rest of my life.

Lin

Silverfire
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I picked 197 because it's 100lbs lost. I am sure once I get there I will just keep going, but under 200 and I would be on cloud 9!

Ky30
01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Even thou 160 pounds for 5 foot 3 is still considered overweight my doctor and I talked about this in length he picked the 160 for me he took into factor my frame size, age, and the fact of extra skin it weighs ladies lol the other charts out there do not do that. He said in his opinion if I got down to 140 he thinks I would look sick instead of heathy that is what my oringal goal was he wants my to come back when I get down to 160 pounds as we did discuss my 150 pounds also to be honest thou I am starting to be happy now so I thik 160 might be a good goal for me.

charliee
01-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I did the dukan calculation and it told me that my ideal weight is 165. While I would love to be that weight right now, I'd really like to end up lower than that. When I was 135 I still a bit chubby, so I'd like to be around that weight but toned.

Personally I found the email I received from the Dukan website a little disheartening. I understand how for some people it might be reassuring to know that a higher weight will be easier to maintain, but for me it just sounded like someone trying to convince me that it was okay to not reach my ultimate goal. Like I had irreparably damaged my body and was not going to be able to get it back. I think it actually told me not to try to get lower than 165 or I would lose tone and glow (glow? really?). Regardless of the results of this diet, after reading that email, I know it's not right for me. There is a big difference between making someone understand that a goal may be unrealistic and setting someone up for failure.

In the end I'm trying not to focus on my end goal. Right now I need to eat healthy, exercise, strength train and focus on trying to lose 1-2 pounds a week. Dropping 50 pounds is my first goal and I can reassess after that.

April Snow
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
I just wanted to clarify that I didn't mention the Dukan Diet calculator as a suggestion that anyone should sign up on the website for the plan. I'm doing the diet but I haven't even signed up for the coaching! I think it's actually a reasonable price compared with other support programs and I believe you get daily feedback so that's pretty good. But I was just referencing the calculator to be an interesting piece of information to think about when deciding on a goal weight. For a lot of people, it seems like the "True Weight" is right in line with where they were aiming for, and I think it's nice to see some support saying that may be a good and healthy and reasonable weight to pick, even if more traditional calculators would consider it too high.

But I'm not sure I'm even going to use my True Weight as my goal. It's less then 20 lbs under what I got to a couple of years ago, and I know that I wasn't even close to happy with my size at 198. However, for me, it's a helpful reminder that there are a whole lot of healthy weights I could be between 198 and the 140 lbs my Wii Fit tells me I should be. :wink:

charliee
01-26-2013, 02:23 PM
April_Snow, I'm glad it's working for you. I've read a lot of positive things about it, especially for people who are sick of other weight loss plans. While I don't think it's the right diet for me, I was drawn to it because it's one of the few diet plans that uses other factors than height and bmi to come up with your "true weight". I do think my number of 165 is a great start - and I can't "weight" to get there (hahah). I just think I can do better.

kayin
01-27-2013, 05:34 AM
I chose 140 as my goal weight because that's when I start feeling really good (can go hiking etc.) and can also shop at any store I want. I'd like to get back to 115 where I was 10 years ago but I don't know if I'll get that far. So I may change my goal weight if I get down to 140 and feel that I could go lower. I am a yo-yo dieter and emotional eater so I just hope for no gains.

Daimere
01-27-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm aiming for 175-185. It basically depends how I feel when I get there. If I feel like I have more work, I'll do it. The calculator told me 189. Hmmmmm.

chubbiegurl
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
My arms are 14" my thighs are 22", bigger than alot of women.

my thighs measure a 22 also, arms r a 12 though. I think my thighs r pretty big for my 5'2 build. I measure at the largest part of my thighs and arms.