100 lb. Club - No Judgement Zone: What are you doing for weight loss?

lunarsongbird
01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Hello All,

Today we have been talking a lot about people making comments and/or judgments about our weight loss plans. It has made me wonder...What IS everyone doing?

This is the first time that I have really been researching and educating myself on weight-loss choices... I've been super geeking out and reading about liver processes, glycogen, and glucagon. I just can't seem to get enough. I have discovered if I actually know WHY I shouldn't be eating certain items- or why I should be doing certain exercises- that I'm actually doing them! Part of me is no longer satisfied with accepting, "Calories in- Calories out." I need to know HOW those calories work.

So if you don't mind- would you be interested in sharing a bit about what works for you? And maybe why you chose that method? Totally judgement free zone...

SweetTreat80
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
lunarsongbird, great thread and I'm definitely curious to see what other's are doing and why. For myself I'm not following any specific plan, just doing what I have researched is good for my situation (I have cancer and I'm diabetic) and trying to modify it to work for me. That has consisted of ousting anything white and all refined sugars. Actually the only thing white I eat is if I'm in a hurry I pop a Smart Ones English Muffin breakfast sandwich in the microwave and go.

But my diet consists of Whole grains, no refined sugar, lean proteins, high emphasis on fresh veg. That's it. Nothing fancy. And for exercise I'm walking about 2km a day (when it's NOT -25 outside! lol) and doing normal hand weights in my home. I know it's not an aggressive approach but it is working for me while not making me feel deprived or overworked and I think that is the important thing for most people or you won't stick to it.

Angihas2
01-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I count calories and walk. I don't deny myself anything, but make decisions on if I really want that tiny chocolate bar, or if I'd rather have a bunch of veggies/fruit. I do tend to limit fruits and only eat them in the morning, the natural sugar in them can trigger me for more sugar. I ration out my fats so that I get a small, healthy kind throughout the day to remain satiated. I try to put the baby in the stroller and take several small walks throughout the day. He's not yet read or capable of a few miles strapped in the stroller.

I choose to preplan my meals for the following day, it keeps me in control and eliminates the scanning the shelves/fridge for something thats healthy when I'm feeling like I'm starving and the baby is finally taking a 7 minute nap :/ If it's preplanned there's no guesswork, I lay out the frozen things the night before and they're ready when I need them.

I premake things like chicken/beans/lentils/stews. Freeze in portion sizes, so I can quick add them to fitday and not guestimate the calories.

I make me a priority. Walking, eating healthy, it just is, without room for negotioation. If the kids are out of whack and where I would normally ignore the want to walk, to deal with them, I make them come with me and we can discuss issues. I also don't cut walks short cus they get bored. Sorry boutcha luck chuck, thems the breaks. Mom has things she needs to do too.

I pay attention to changes a new food can cause, am I more bloated, does it make me feel energized or sluggish, am I reacting to it at all? I have a history of an undiagnosed pork allergy (digestive allergy) as well as a mild gluten intolerance. Just cutting the gluten and pork has made me feel so much better.

I stay in touch with you ladies and gents. Seriously, its something I look forward to it every morning and it's that extra support that makes my day easier

Roo2
01-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I 'm doing Ideal Protein phase 1 . Once I'm done with all the phases I will probably always watch Carb intake.
This diet has so many restrictions but the benefits have outweighed of the deprivation I initially felt.:carrot:
Roo2

Radiojane
01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I follow a primal diet, which is basically, whole, natural, unprocessed food. I keep my carb intake low and watch my calories. I get a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise per day, usually more.

caryesings
01-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I lost my weight by calorie counting so that nothing was out of bounds, but choices had to be continually made, and my diet became "healthier" by default. By the time I had lost 100, I seem to have gotten a pretty good instinct for eating the calorie amount that has maintained that weight for 2.5 years now.

I'm now a speaker for a local weight loss group and the message I'm basically communicating is not to do anything you can't do for the rest of your life, and that little changes consistently applied WILL get the pounds off and keep them off. No one wants to hear that when they are gung ho to get the weight off NOW, but I'm proof it works so they don't dismiss it entirely.

Devoncroix
01-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Simply put: Calories out - Calories in

If I broke it down into numbers:

1200 - 1400 calories a day (I use loseit to track), 80-90% whole & organic foods. I workout "officially" 3x a week for 60-90 minutes. I try to fit in extra cardio where & when I can but don't stress about it. I use common tips and tricks such as parking in the back, taking the stairs, calf raises while waiting in line etc..

I weigh every day and use physicsdiet to watch the trend, I find this is important for me to stay motivated. I take body measurements weekly and a bathing suit snapshot to track my progress visually.

I drink alot of water and one cup of green tea a day (this helps curb boredom hunger).

I had a full check up prior to starting and cleared everything I am doing with my doctor.

Tziri
01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm doing the ideal protein diet also. I love it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

I started my weightless journey last January counting calories, exercising, and watching carbs/fats/sodium etc... I really enjoyed doing that and will probably go back to it once I'm in my maintenance phase.

ghost
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm doing keto, or what most call a low-carb diet only my plan is very low carb. I have a blog link in my sig if you have interest or questions. But basically my macro breakdown is 75%fat/20%protein/5%carbs and I also keep track of calories on top of that so that I know I'm in a deficit and that my body is burning stored fat and not dietary fat. There are many reasons why this is working for me but mostly the appetite suppression has been the major deciding factor on staying with it, and the fact that my blood pressure has really gone down since hitting my stride.

I have successfully lost weight on good ol' CICO, but I was always hungry and one bad decision away from an all out binge. With keto I'm not even thinking about food until I'm ready to sit down and eat.

bethFromDayton
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm counting calories and tracking them using MyFitnessPal. I'm not following a specific plan, but am self-balancing--lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats. Cutting out sweets has also cut my cravings for them.

I think part of doing well at (any) diet is recognizing what your pitfalls are. For me, it's sweets--you name it, I like it, pretty much. So for that, I've gone pretty close to cold turkey. I let myself have a few small things at a party Saturday night--and ate 6 of them instead of the 2 I had planned. I don't like the idea of giving sweet baked goods up forever, but I know I don't control myself well once I start.

My other pitfall is starches--potatoes, bread, pasta. I haven't eliminated these, but I measure them out and control them--and eat them primarily with proteins.

I measure or weigh everything in the kitchen and serve the plates with food on them, instead of serving family style. DH is also counting calories--he can go back for seconds, though, since he gets more calories than I do! I'm also using smaller plates. Having a full plate helps, somehow.

I've added walking into my schedule at work--a coworker and I take a lap of the building twice a day. We were doing one lap. This week, we upped it to two laps (16 minutes each). DH and I were starting to walk in the evenings, but the 17 degree weather has curtailed that for a little bit.

I'm reading and working through the Beck Diet Solution book--I'm finding the cognitive behavior therapy approach to changing one's eating habits and views very helpful.

I'm just over 2 weeks in--and I've lost 5 lbs. DH has lost 11. That hardly seems fair.

Vex
01-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Calorie counting - I shoot for between 1200 and 1400 a day. I don't count carbs, fat or anything else really.

I don't really exercise at this point but am thinking about starting in the future.

berryblondeboys
01-23-2013, 09:21 PM
I eat lower carb (under 100 net grams). Lately it's been under 60. I eat a medium protein and medium fat diet and I try to exercise an hour a day with three days a week being strength training and 3 days a week being cardo. One day of rest per week. Calories are about 1375-1450 a day.

Simple carbs and grain carbs I found for me make me feel bad - lethargic and make me hold water weight. So, I do better without them in my diet, but I'll eat whatever veggies I want. Fruits in moderation, but no bananas.

Arctic Mama
01-23-2013, 09:30 PM
A calorie isn't just a calorie with my body, unfortunately. Thus I'm doing high fat/low carb, with a solid foundation of unprocessed or fermented/roasted/smoked foods. Ie: Atkins, by the book :D

merilung
01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Primal diet - high fat, moderate protein, low carb. Plenty of animal products/animal fat. No sugar (except what naturally occurs in homemade yogurt, cheese, and the occasional cup of berries - no other fruit).

Exercise for at least an hour a day - it doesn't matter so much to me what exercise I'm doing at this point, just that I'm putting the time in. Right now it's usually either 90 minutes of hot yoga or 60-90 minutes of walking in the park.

Calorie counting on MFP. I try to aim for 1200, but I don't stress if I go over - I just like to keep track of what I'm eating. Keeping a food log also helps me identify what foods lead to me eating WAY too much!

lunarsongbird
01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
WOohoo! Thanks everyone for sharing! For a moment or two, I thought people were going to be nervous about sharing their plans. I will have to come back later tonight and map out my plan with the "whys"

But I am basically doing low carb/decent animals fats/primal.

ETA: AHAHA...Ticker...You are MINE! Go butterfly, GO!

April Snow
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Dukan Diet. It's low carb but unlike most low carb plans, it's low fat too. The allowed foods are lean protein, veggies, no/low fat dairy and oat bran - that's different than oatmeal, it's the outside hull of the oats. It's really tasty and very filling, and for me, it's a big part of why this plan works for me but Atkins and more traditional low carb plans don't.

I also have a personal preference for low fat dairy - I really just like it better. A few years ago on my birthday, I took my son to Haagen Daz (sp?) and although I was dieting at the time, I had made the decision that I could have whatever I wanted that time. And after looking and looking, what I finally picked was frozen yogurt - it was what sounded best to me, really and truly. So this plan really just synchs up with the foods that I already prefer to eat.

The other interesting component of this diet is that after the initial very, very low carb phase, you carb cycle by alternating days when you have all protein (plus the oat bran - dairy counts as protein) and days when you have protein and unlimited veggies.

I absolutely thought this was a wacky, "fad diet" when I first heard about it. But then I read the book and a lot of it really made sense to me. I also had a number of friends who decided to give it a go, so I figured I would too and we all had amazing success.

Like most low carb plans, it's a phased diet and one of the things I really like about it is that there is a specific phase to "consolidate" your loss. So you don't just add back in foods willy nilly, there are specific guidelines to help. Unfortunately, I didn't make it that far the last time but I have a lot of confidence this time - mostly about how I can live within the confines of the diet but still make it work to fit my life instead of the other way around.

Daimere
01-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I started this month with a healthy eating/Simple Diet mesh, to healthier choices and now I started Weight Watchers. I try to add in extra veggies every meal I go. I'm also trying to do some fruits this time. Also, I'm going to change some of the healthy guidelines to suit my body (oils versus whole foods with healthy fats...heck no! I'm going with the food!).

I started the month dedicating myself with just 30 minutes of hooping in any way every day. Last week I added Slim in 6 but I think Si6 has upset my psoas (I've never had hooping hurt my psoas before). So I decided to quite Si6 this week. I've focusing on yoga and barre workouts along with my hooping. I figure this time I'm more likely to succeed since I have one base form of movement that I love. When I don't feel like exercising, I can't say no to hooping or another calorie burning flow art. I have multiple hooping events this year which will encourage me to stay on plan (April training, June festival and another festival later in the summer/fall).

AlmostMe
01-24-2013, 03:47 AM
I am using the Paul McKenna system. I am DONE with diets. I want to eat normally, which I have rarely done at any point in my life. Feast or famine. I want to re-train my brain to eat only when I am hungry and to stop when I've had enough. I'm tired of being a fool for food.

I am currently exercising a ton. I am not exercising to lose weight (but it is doing that). I am exercising for fitness to play rugby. It's been amazing. I haven't played sport since I was a teenager. It has really motivated me to get fitter. I don't go to rugby training to get fit. I get fit to train for rugby. If I lose slower because I'm putting on muscle....well then - hurray!!!

Beverlyjoy
01-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi.. interesting to see the different plans and approaches folks use here.

I use the exchange plan. It's similar to the exchanges in Richard Simmons Food Mover of years ago. Also similar to food plan from American Dietetic Assoc. I recently have seen a registered dietician. She helped me tweek this plan and divide up the foods in better portions during the day. I learned that I wasn't eating enough for breakfast and when I increased that amount I did better for the rest of the day. Calorie wise... it's about 1400 per day.

I have my journal where I put down my plan for the day. Also, I have it set up to check off the exchanges as the day goes on. I also write down my health goals for the day, thoughts, successes and more. Of course, I always right down my daily gratitudes (I have for 14 years - keeps life in perspective! There's a thread for gratitudes here, too.)

I aim to drink lots of water. My exercise consists of stretches and strengthening types.

I am going back to using the techniques of guided imagery, meditation and self hypnosis. It's been helpful in the past. I use some of the techniques of Paul Mckenna, too.

I, too, use Dr. Beck's Diet Solution to help me in the area of 'living' with food in a sane manner. It's helpful to me. It's a congnitive approach.

I use 3fc for my support and inspiration.. and another Friends group, too.

synger
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm doing keto, or what most call a low-carb diet only my plan is very low carb. I have a blog link in my sig if you have interest or questions. But basically my macro breakdown is 75%fat/20%protein/5%carbs and I also keep track of calories on top of that so that I know I'm in a deficit and that my body is burning stored fat and not dietary fat. There are many reasons why this is working for me but mostly the appetite suppression has been the major deciding factor on staying with it, and the fact that my blood pressure has really gone down since hitting my stride.

I have successfully lost weight on good ol' CICO, but I was always hungry and one bad decision away from an all out binge. With keto I'm not even thinking about food until I'm ready to sit down and eat.

My plan is somewhat similar, but not as low in carbs. It definitely presents as a "low carb diet" to those who eat a lot of grains, but it seems kinda high to the low carb groups. I aim for no more than 75 grams carbs in a day (but usually am far, far less), and I cycle between 1200 calorie days for 2-3 days and then one day of 1800. I eat a lot of veggies. Because of mobility issues, I don't exercise as much as I'd like. Some stretches and knee-strengthening moves, but nothing else beyond some (very slow) walking.

sontaikle
01-24-2013, 07:57 AM
My plan is so convoluted and breaks so many "rules" that I know some people would cringe if I explain it to them :lol:

First and foremost, I calorie count. Here are my rules:

1) No measuring, just eyeballing portions. Early on I googled what certain portion sizes looked like and use that as a guide. I break this rule for high-calorie things like peanut butter, though.

2) Calorie counts are rounded. If something winds up being 175 calories, it is rounded to 200. Most things are rounded up (i.e. 160 calories would also round up to 200, not 150).

3) No writing things down. My calorie count is kept in my head (this is why I round things :lol:).

4) Items 25 calories and under aren't counted unless a large number is eaten.

5) No food is off limits.

Now, even though "no food is off limits," I try to eat as healthy as possible. I currently eat mostly primal foods, but I am not 100%.

thnknthin1
01-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I am currently on my own plan. I started last January by cutting back portions and making healthier choices. I then joined Ideal Protein in February and followed that for about two months before it got too costly for me. Doing that program I realized low carbs was best for me as it really helped curb my appetite.

Unfortunately, I fell off the diet bandwagon for about 5-6 months and gained about 30lbs back :( I restarted my healthy eating habits in October. I am learning more and more what my body needs and/or requires. This has been a total learning process for me. Actually, I'm still learning as I go.

But, what I do know is that keeping my carbs under 50g/per day keeps me satisfied and stops the cravings. I keep my proteins lean (though I do love the occasional steak) and eat lots of vegetables. I enjoy unsweetened almond milk as a snack or a low carb protein bar. I have found low carb tortillas and low carb bread so I can have my grains that I oh so dearly love on occasion. Oh, I also do my best to eat at the same time every day. My stomach will sometimes tell me by grumbling a bit that's it's time to eat if I'm not paying attention to the clock. It's amazing how your body gets used to a routine.

Exercise has up to this point mainly consisted of walking almost daily, sometimes twice a day and increasing the distance. Recently I started the C25K program and am now incorporating some jogging into my routine. My husband bought me some exercise bands and have started using those as well.

I track all my food and exercise daily using MyFitnessPal. This may sound Type A, but, I keep a spreadsheet of my daily weights and notes on the side if I'm experiencing constipation or TOM or changed up an exercise routine so I can figure out what causes fluctuations.

Since I restarted this "lifestyle" in October I have lost those 30lbs (again) plus 10. It seems to be working for me so far so I will keep at it!

Kat117
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I am using the Ideal Protein plan. I find that it has significantly helped me with several health issues, and because it is so restricitve, it is very easy for me to follow and maintain. I know exactly what I can have and what I can't. Once I get to goal, my doctor is going to sit down with me and we will draw up a plan that I can realistically follow forever, while making sure I keep the foods I am allergic to away from me.

I have done so many different plans, but with them being too open to options, I wasn't eating very healthy.

BeachBreeze2010
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
It's been a long road for this weight loss. I've done several plans and have constantly been changing it up. Maybe the variety is what I need? The consistent part is calorie counting, reducing simple sugar, processed foods and eating low caloric density foods. What those foods are and my protein/fat/carb ratio has changed a lot. Currently I am eating a mostly vegan/non-processed diet that's pretty carb heavy because it's plant based. I am full on fewer calories and feel great with the natural products - and no simple sugars (other than fruit). I even gave up Diet Coke! That's a big one for me!

When I stay off the sugar roller coaster and eat higher complex carbs (whole grains, fruits, veggies, beans, lentils, etc.), I lose weight. When I eat sugar bad things happen.

Also, a real big one for me, is that when I commit to making myself a priority, I lose weight. Taking the time to plan my meals, chop fresh veggies, exercise, wear clothes that look nice, tame my wild, curly hair, do my nails - all of these things make me feel good and seem to go along with the mentality that "I am worth taking care of - inside and outside."

Pink Hurricane
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Right now mainly calorie counting, while slowly nixing more processed foods and trying to stick to clean-er eating. Baby steps for me, but calorie counting is a HUGE help and game changer for me, so it is what I stick with and I do not feel deprieved. Currently I am putting a huge emphasis on making sure most of my intake consists of whole foods, fruits, and veggies.

As far as exercise, I love doing different programs like P90X, 30 Day Shred, soon will be Insanity, and tossing in running/walking/kickboxing and more into the mix. I like to keep things fun and interesting, but I also love having a routine for the work week and being more spontaneous with my workouts on the weekend, such as taking a run or walk with my husband, playing basketball together, whatever keeps us moving!

lunarsongbird
01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
I am DONE with diets. I want to eat normally, which I have rarely done at any point in my life. Feast or famine. I want to re-train my brain to eat only when I am hungry and to stop when I've had enough. I'm tired of being a fool for food.

This! Oh my goodness...This! However, just last year my definition of "eat normally" changed dramatically. I have lost over 50 pounds on weight watchers in the past, but I was using a lot of processed and food-like substances. Last year- I took some time to think about it and though..."Hmm....100 calorie packs. That is NOT eating normally."

I would like to be 100 pounds slimmer so that my DH and I can try conceiving next year. I need the extra support.

So I have signed up with the Metabolic Research Center. I had to get doctor approval and I meet with a weight-loss consultant twice a week. The diet low-carb and relatively low-fat (which I don't necessarily follow). It utilizes protein supplement drinks and ketosis.

Just recently I went very low carb to push myself into ketosis, which only took about 2.5 days! HOORAY! I'd like to keep my carbs around 40 grams. My plan is called meta-balance and incorporates all the food groups...whole grains, veggies, fruit, protein, dairy, ect.

I'm pretty excited about it. I also go to the gym Saturday-Wednesday and am currently participating in the 60-day t-tapp challenge.

Elladorine
01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm making this up as I go. ;)

I avoid added sugars and avoid most simple carbs (although I will have an occasional bun or slice of pizza). Nothing deep fried. Lots of veggies and fruits, chicken breast, some nuts and healthy oils, and the occasional protein bar/shake. I always have a fresh salad to add to my meals at home. VitaCakes and no-added-sugar ice cream for treats. Aspartame-free diet sodas for my soda fix (I refuse to drink sugar and have a bad reaction to aspartame). I eat out a lot, so I've armed myself with knowing what I can safely order at most places.

I write everything down, and have done so for nearly a year. No measuring and no counting calories, although I do my best to know proper portions and be calorie-aware. Writing it down helps me gauge what I've had for the day and even the week, so I can determine what I still have room for and remain completely mindful about my eating habits. I've realized that everything I eat counts, so I just have to make sure it counts in a good way. :D

chubbiegurl
01-24-2013, 05:03 PM
45 mins of cardio a day and for now I cannot lift weights, because of well nevermind. Reduced carbs drastically. Mainly have chicken breast, veggies, beans,quinoa and fruit. I only drink water and a cup of almond milk per day. I would like to have pre packaged meals but that is just too expensive, plus I would still have to cook for 4 others. I get some complaints here and there from the fil and kids about food from time to time. But my hubby needed to lose 40+ lbs and the fil is disabled and his weight is affecting his injured knees, so they eat my healthy meals. I still have cookies, chips, candy and junk in my house for the kids. Although they think (including fil) that I am very strict about their consumption of those things. I try to keep calories under 1200 but am not good at really counting. Seeing as how I eat the same stuff a lot I know I am around that range. Good thing I love chicken, and have found many creative ways to make it. But I do miss brown chicken, didn't even know white existed before my 20's.

SmallSteps
01-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I count calories and exercise mainly walking. I have cut out all soda and stared drinking lots and lots of water.

hautbois
01-28-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm using an app called 'Lose It' on my iphone to track calories and exercise. As far as food goes, nothing really off-limits. I just make sure that I stay within my calorie limit. A couple of years ago, I was working with a dietician and I'm basically going back to the meal plan that she developed for me. I'm just working on only eating when hungry and stopping before I get too full. For exercise, walking on my treadmill until warmer spring weather arrives. Then I switch back to walking outside.

Lyn2007
01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
I am doing Medifast. I felt really good eating Primal, but was not losing any weight. I lost weight just calorie counting for a long time but then stalled out.

Underwater
01-29-2013, 03:18 AM
I lost 60 lbs last year just trying to make good decisions- wise choices and small portion sizes. I stalled out in October and am about to try something new.

My doctor's office has an HMR program, which is a shake and pre-portioned food diet. I think it's similar to Medifast. You lose weight very fast for 12 weeks, and then they have a transition and then a maintenance program you can stay on as long as you like. You can actually continue the strict diet past 12 weeks, but I am planning to give it all I can for 12 weeks and then do long term transitioning because I want to be eating real food. I am hoping the quick weight loss will motivate me to keep losing after the 12 weeks.

I officially start on February 13th. It's medically monitored so they have classes that you must join on the first week. They start once a month.

the shiv
01-29-2013, 03:36 AM
I'm doing Intuitive Eating... with adjustments? I discovered sugar makes me ravenously hungry, so I cut it out of my tea & coffee, and if I want juice I'll have a diet one instead. I can only listen to my hunger if I can actually HEAR it above the din of my body incessantly demanding sugar. I have a cake now and again if I want it, and I'm satisfied without bingeing. Nail 1 in the coffin of emotional eating!

I started walking 2 miles a day, which admittedly made me feel better. Much fitter and way less cranky. I have slacked off recently, because I've had a cold/flu hanging over me and I just don't want to go out in the freezing cold. I was doing random bits of strength training in the house, like arms one day, abs the next, and alternating. I have also let this go for some unknown reason. I'm still losing weight, but not as quickly as I'd like. And I know fine well why that is! :/

I have discovered that I love protein, it really agrees with me. I can't be bothered with heavy carbs. A bit of spinach or rocket or cucumber feels good, but bread, potatoes, noodles, rice etc? Just feels like eating mushy cardboard. My body tells me if it wants carbs, and it's not often.

I'm frustrated with my "slow" progress. I know it's not slow by anyone's standards - 1-3lbs per week, and the only week I didn't lose was over Xmas when I ate a truckload of chocolates and put on 2lbs, so it's all working out the way it's supposed to. But... I'm 9lbs in and I want to SEE results. I know how to maintain (I've done it before, at about 175 for years) so, much as I love all the "listen to your body, eat what you want when you're hungry, stop when you're full" and can do that for life, I want to take a good run at the next 5-10lbs so that 1. I'll have lost over a stone; 2. More of my clothes will fit; and 3. Onederland! I really think I could get some renewed motivation and learn some new tricks off the back of that. I think I'm going to home in on the protein & veggies for a few weeks (and I'd like to learn some healthy recipes!) and get some strength training & cardio in every day for the next 2-3wks, if I can. If I can't, no big deal, I'll just keep going the way I am, but I just need the boost to get me towards a 20lb loss and some more visible changes ;)

Edit: Tuesday morning, I re-weighed myself and I'm now 202lbs instead of 203. 202 it is! I think I'll change what I'm doing, and weigh myself every day. If it goes down, I'll record it as a new low. If it goes up less than 2lbs (3 during TOM) I'll ignore it and keep going. If it goes up more than that, I'll use that as my new weight and go from there. I know the scale "shouldn't" mean anything, but it does, and right now... Anything that gets my head back in the game is worth it.

allieballiebee
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Since I FINALLY seem to be "getting it right" (for me, of course), I'll share my method. I'm following the simple "calories in/calories out" principle, but paying close attention to the quality of the calories I eat.

I use MFP to track my food, and I try to stay around 1200 calories per day. I make sure I'm getting at least 2 servings of fruits and 3 servings of vegetables every day. I stick with mostly organic whole foods, because the idea of gross chemicals/hormones/antibiotics on my dinner plate is kind of terrifying. Especially since I have an eight month old who is starting to eat table foods with us. I don't eat any sweets or white carbs, and I usually drink at least 64 oz of water per day.

I've been focusing on food thus far, but have now reached the point where I feel comfortable adding in more exercise. I just started a C25K program (using the free iPhone app) yesterday. My body is definitely not used to running. Ow. :)

mom2jjl07
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
I am eating 1000 daily with a free day on Sunday! Walking 1 mile daily for now and will up that as time goes by! So far this is working wonderfully! Lost 30 lb in past 3 months...this way works for me and my lifestyle and the Sunday free day allows me to eat that whatever I wanted on Thursday (for instance) I got tired of trying to low carb and trying to do this or that..I figured out what will work for me..what i KNOW i can stick to and I am HAPPY!!!! :D

slimmingsi
01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I run 3x per week and have Judo 1 day per week. I also follow DDP Yoga 3-4 times per week.

Food i loosely follow slimmingworld but try to consume around 2k on rest days and 2200-2500 on training days.

coolacrity
01-29-2013, 05:10 PM
My plan is no plan, honestly. It's kind of like calorie counting, but I don't really care about calories or write anything down. Nothing is really off limits except bread, pasta, and alcohol (which I limit, really, not eliminate. Except for the alcohol. I despise beer and I haven't had wine in over a year, anyway). The only thing I really plan is to eat really light in the evening because I get up to weigh so early in the morning (I work in a school. And I only track my weight one day of the week, I swear). Sometimes I get 'off plan', so I just tweak the plan for the rest of the day. (I'm SOL if it's at the end of the day, I guess...)

EDIT: I guess this is 'Intuitive Eating'?

Water. Uhm...I need to get back into that. I don't know why I kinda dropped off on it.

Exercise. Leslie Sansone is an amazing place to start if you're REALLY heavy. Especially Walk-Away-the-Pounds Express, because of the use of resistance bands. I'm going to start the Jillian Michaeks' 30DS soon.

Mozzy
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
I calorie count using MFP.
I have recently started exercising with my elliptical.

seabreeze
02-15-2013, 02:57 PM
i have dieted since childhood, gained and lost 100 lbs over the years following every diet possible on and off.. yesterday was day 1, again, and I am following a basic low carb, whole grain plan, fresh green veggies, fish, chicken, etc.. i reread michael thurmond's book 6 day/week body make over. and it got me motivated..today is day 2 and i feel lighter already!!!

BreathingSpace
02-15-2013, 03:31 PM
1. Weight Watchers.

2. I was aiming to eat lots of protein and less carb but I find my body works better with a normal amount of carbs and higher fat (like avocados and nuts).

3. I would never ever label myself ANYTHING let alone vegan, raw vegan, etc., but I do aim to make my diet pretty much vegan/raw vegan.

4. Avoid bread/wheat as much as possible, only because it makes my stomach bloated.

5. Eat TONS of kale and spinach and collard greens.

6. Do hot yoga at least 4 times weekly for exercise.

7. I am allowed to contradict anything I've mentioned above! LOL.

Skellig19
02-15-2013, 05:11 PM
I lost about 50 lbs 6 years ago following the Herbal Magic meal plan. My mom had signed up for it and thought I'd like to follow along. I didn't take any of the herbals and just did the meal plan. This time around, I did the same thing. I lost 50 lbs following the Herbal Magic meal plan. It basically lists the types and amounts of foods you can eat (4 veggies, 2 fruits, 2 starches, 2 protein, 1 fat, 1 dairy, that sort of thing). After I lost 50 lbs and was reading more on the calories in calories out principal I stopped focusing so much on the types of food I was eating and started watching portion sizes and eyeballing calories (trying to keep meals below 300 calories, for instance). I eat about 1 portion of starchy carb (bread, pasta, rice, potato) a day because I feel so much better when I limit those! I try to keep my fats pretty healthy (like PB, coconut oil, and nuts) but sometimes have some biscoff spread instead of PB and it's been ok.

My husband and I are really into artisan bread baking (like ciabatta and foccacia) so we don't buy any bread at the grocery store and just make do with whatever loaf we've baked that week.

I drink a lot of tea to satiate the sweets cravings I get (thank god for DavidsTea!).

For exercise, I run a 10 minute mile 5-6 days a week and do resistance band training 3x a week (following the Got Bands? video available on amazon. Videos keep me motivated). I used to do Walk Away the Pounds a lot but I started to find it exceptionally boring and decided if I wanted to stick to somthing, I needed to find it fun and interesting!

lunarsongbird
02-15-2013, 05:27 PM
7. I am allowed to contradict anything I've mentioned above! LOL.
:val1:

FickleHearts
02-15-2013, 05:58 PM
My Dr. put me on a low carb plan. No wheat, no sugar. I can have berries and low fructose fruit, but I'm only really eating strawberries as far as fruit goes. So far, I've done Atkins before so honestly, it hasn't been that bad :)

So far so good and my veggie intake has increased substantially. I don't really miss sugar so far, but I do miss my bread and taters! As does my husband..... He's lost 30 lbs by proxy since I started LOL.

lunarsongbird
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Can you do almond flour bread? I made a pretty decent loaf a couple weeks ago. http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-bread-20/

ReillyJ
02-15-2013, 06:07 PM
since i'm basically at goal i'll "weigh in" on what i did to lose 90 lbs

Made up my mind. i've never yo-yo dieted gained/lost because i knew once i started down a weight loss path it would have to be a permanent life style change or it wouldn't work. For some reason that day in May..something clicked in my head and i was READY. And what it was, was counting calories. i finally came to terms with it and made it my friend. You HAVE TO have a realization of roughly how many calories you are consuming and how much you need to expend

The philosophy that changed my life (Einstein)-the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. If i was overweight and did the same thing every day, then i needed to change something up--and it started with counting calories and simple portion control (later to change up into "clean" eating)

NEVER mindlessly eat. i don't do it anymore. Whenever i eat anything i sit down and enjoy it and know what i'm eating. it isn't a slavish way to eat, it's actually more enjoyable to eat this way

Exercise. For ME...it most definitely contributes to weight loss (after ALL, it is calories in, calories OUT or expended) but i also have come to terms with i can only do what i can do with my physical limitations and keep pressing on

Free day. For ME...a free day works where i consume anything and everything i want and then reign it in the rest of the week.

i hope this helps :)

Pink Hurricane
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm a calorie counter and use MyFitnessPal to track my calories and exercise. My exercise varies, I want to do a complete round of P90X but am having a very hard time fitting it into my schedule right now, so I am considering doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, I have done 30 Day Shred and I regularly walk, jog, and run! I like staying active and keeping things interesting!

jillbean
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
I am "following" Weight Watchers. I don't go to the meetings or any of that. However my sister does and she got me one of the calculators (LOVE IT!!) so that I could have a tool to help.
I have googled some recipes but have yet to try any. LOL!
I have just cooked at home, as always and watched my portion control and snacking on junk.
I did the 6 week body makeover almost 3 years ago. I lost 26 lbs in 8 weeks but I was SOOOO limited on what I could and couldn't have. I decided to go off plan for a 4th of July picnic and ate a lean cheesburger and gained 7 lbs.....and it wouldn't come back off just eating small amounts of "normal" food. I said FORGET IT and came off of the diet. I had weighed in a 290 when I started and came off the diet at 264.
Then this past January, after talking to my sister about WW, I decided to give it a try. I wasn't expected the drastic weight loss that I had with the 6wbmo but I wanted something that would kick me in the pants... from the beginning, because I get discouraged easily.
Anyway, I weighed in at 277.8 on January 28. As of this morning I weigh 260.8 and I'm eating real food! 17 lbs in 3 weeks! Oh, how I wish I had known this would work! I just want to kick myself for not doing anything a long time ago! I know that the weight lose will slow down and that a lot of it was water weight but it was on 6wbmo too and it was HORRID!!
BTW, I have not exercised AT ALL. I will be starting to walk this week and will be adding resistance bands too.

fitwayoflife
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm doing Weight Watchers. I follow the Momentum plan, not the current Points Plus plan. I've lost 13.6 pounds since January 3rd. Slow but steady.

rodeogirl
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm counting calories (started yesterday) increasing water, and trying to limit processed foods.

ichoose2believe
02-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I believe too that its a bit more than calories in vs calories out. Right now however I am counting calories because I needed to start somewhere. I am trying to get and idea of what I am eating and how much. I am increasing my fruit and veggies. Cutting back on processed and to go foods. I am doing a few exercise videos (kettlebell) and walking up stairs at work more (even when I dont have to).

PreciousMissy
02-19-2013, 07:23 PM
The last time I lost 30lb I was counting calories but for me it didn't work. I went completely off plan and gained it back.

This time I'm starting off with eating smaller portions and making better choices (more veggies, less Doritos lol). I figure I can live like that since I don't have to stress about eating enough or too little for the day. If that stops working for me then I'll reevaluate what I'm doing.

Iheartsushi418
02-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi all! I'm new (again), but I'm not really planning on following a designated plan. I'm trying to eat healthier and eliminating processed foods, watching portions, eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day instead of skipping breakfast (and sometimes lunch) and eating all of my calories late in the day. Right now I am using a liquid meal replacement for breakfast, lunch and snacks, just to try and retrain my brain to eat at the right times. So far it's working out well and I'm not nearly as hungry late at night, AND I feel better. Also, I've dusted off the treadmill and my goal is to just get on it and walk right now. No pressure to go X minutes or X miles....just get on it and go!

epicskyline
02-20-2013, 05:26 PM
I follow Weight Watchers. Honestly, I'm not sure I could have done it any other way. I like the freedom that WW gives me. I feel like I'm choosing what I eat, and it's not often that I feel discouraged for going "off plan" because of the 49 extra points per week that we are allotted. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and am always experimenting with new veggies to try. I also really love oatmeal, light English muffins and breakfast in general. I definitely put more thought into breakfast than any other meal in the day.

I also work out. Mostly I use my elliptical or jog. It has been too cold to jog recently, but I do my best and take advantage of the rare warm day. When I first started, I could only jog a few hundred yards before I needed to stop. Now I can do a 10K.

K-boogie
03-17-2013, 02:35 PM
I lost alot of weight doing low carb but just couldn't seem to stick with it. I also lost a good amount with portion control. This past week I attempted to go very strict with low carb and came to the conclusion it's just not for me anymore.

Right now I am watching my portions and food with added sugar. I realize that complex carbs are not my enemy but added sugar definitely is. I don't try and meet a certain calorie number everyday but do keep track of the amount of calories I am consuming. i try to listen to my body's natural hunger and not eat on a schedule and set # of calories because everyday my hunger level is different and I don't believe in forcing myself to eat just because it's lunchtime and I have 1000 calories left in my daily allotment.

I don't want this to be a "task" for me anymore I want it to evenutally become second nature. I am trying to cut back on my sugar free processed foods/drinks but for now it helps me stay away from real sugar which causes my face to break horribly. I need to increase my water intake and will eventually add more activity to my day.

So in a nutshell: portion control and low sugar.

Sinderelly
03-17-2013, 07:31 PM
I calorie count. I limit my calorie intake to 1200..if I go a little over.. I don't stress about it.

I also allow myself one day every two weeks as a free day...and if I really want something which isn't often.. I allow myself to have it.

For exercise I am doing JM30 day shred and starting couch to 5k.

Novus
03-17-2013, 08:40 PM
This thread is fascinating, and serves as evidence that every body is different!

These are the things I'm doing:

Food
1. Low carb - no specific plan. My macronutirents are about 15% carbs, 30% protein, and 55% fat.
2. My carbs are almost exclusively from veggies and fruit. I rarely eat grains, but when I do they are wheat free. My body hates grain carbs, especially wheat.
3.. I use the "link carbs with protein" rule from the IR Diet.
4. Calorie counting. My range is 1,400 to 1,600 calories a day but I'm usually on the low end of that.
5. Meal planning. Every weekend, I plan every meal for the week, using the food tracker on sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com) to make sure I hit my target macronutrients for each day. I also try to prepare foods in advance to make eating right through the week much easier.
6. Big breakfast. Small dinner.
7. I try to eat as clean and whole as possible. I make almost everything from scratch and use only a few processed foods.
8. I take supplements to help manage my insulin/blood sugar/PCOS.
9. Moderation not deprivation. If I want to eat it, I do...but in controlled portions.
10. There is no failure...only learning experiences.

Exercise
Running and workout DVDs.

SouthernMaven
03-17-2013, 09:31 PM
This thread is fascinating, and serves as evidence that every body is different!

I completely agree, and it's a very useful thread - particularly for newbies who are trying to decide how they want to achieve their own weight loss goals.

Around early February I decided it was once again time to get off the excess weight. I'm an *expert* (tongue firmly planted in cheek) at weight loss; have done it many times over the years, using a variety of techniques. This time I decided to go low-carb and was successful - for three weeks. Lost some weight, but decided I wasn't going to give up bread, potatoes, and chips for the rest of my life. Being 61 I decided life was just too short. So I switched to calorie-counting, which generally has worked best for me. Did that for a little less than a week, and then suddenly had one of those "a-ha" moments. You know the kind.

This moment told me I was DONE with dieting. Not sure exactly why, but I knew in that moment that I wasn't going to count another calorie, carb, or point. I wasn't going to weigh another portion of food. I wasn't going to deny myself anything that I REALLY wanted to eat. And I wasn't going to exercise unless I felt like it. And if I never lost another pound, so be it.

In short, I was going to eat like a thin person.

I had been exposed to intuitive eating about three or four months prior to this, but I blew it off as just too unrealistic. I couldn't really wrap my head around it. But in that same a-ha moment I somehow remembered that from age 28 until I started going through menopause (late 40's), this is EXACTLY what I had been doing! (and I was a normal weight) I used to say "Oh, I guess pregnancy changed my metabolism" since I suddenly found I could eat anything and everything I wanted. But now I know that wasn't the case.

So I have been doing IE for about three weeks now, and it is working. I did lose an additional 2.5 lbs after 11 days, but now I've put away the scale. Next time I weigh will be when I go to the doctor in August. I continue to study IE and am getting better at following its principles each and every day.

I'm basically re-establishing my relationship with food. Which is really what IE is all about. I think one really has to be ready to embrace it, however - just as others have said about the programs they are using. I completely understand that!

terichelle
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
At the moment, I count and record calories, and stay at around 1500 or less.

No foods are off limits (that's a sure-fire way for me to fail!), but I'm trying to eat more fresh whole foods, fruit and veg, and cut down on the heavily processed stuff. I used to eat a lot of ready meal type food, but I've stopped that almost completely now. I never enjoyed them anyway! I've cut out fizzy drinks as well, and I try not drink my calories too often these days.

I don't have an exercise plan, at the moment I'm just trying to work it in more often, usually walking. I'm getting more active than I was, and when I feel a bit fitter, I'll probably start being more strict about getting exercise in.

Daisynyc
03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm struggling with finding the right plan for me. Mentally, I like the idea of "everything in moderation," but I struggle to control my carbs when I eat this way. I'm pre-diabetic, which may have something to do with it.

This thread is VERY helpful for me - please keep the plans/ideas coming, folks! And thank you to everyone who has posted.

Jes

Crow
03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
I've ditched junk and am focusing on making healthy choices. I don't deny myself anything, but I ask myself first if I *really* want it. I don't buy unhealthy treats so if I want to snack I have to reach for a carrot stick or an apple instead of a piece of cake or pile of biscuits.

I've added a little exercise, but my next goal is to make working out an automatic part of my life. I'm finding that much more difficult than changing my eating habits.

SoMuchFattitude
03-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Yes, I do find this thread really interesting.

I do Weight Watchers. LOVE IT! It provides the most freedom (in my opinion) and fits to my lifestyle. I can eat anywhere/anything.

I also do triathlons, 5ks, 10ks and rides. I'm usually in "training" of some sort.

foreverfaye
03-19-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm a calorie counter as well using the Lose It app. I know the days I go off track are the days I don't track my food so my goal is to track every single day. Right now I'm at about 1500 cal per day which is very filling if planned correctly. The best thing for me this early on in my journey (week 3) is avoiding temptation. If it's not there for me to eat, I won't eat it.
For exercise my goal is to go to the gym 3.5-4 hours a week. I usually do Zumba, Spinning or the Elliptical

MelodyMarch03
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
I am just staring on my journey so I don't exactly know if what I am doing is working yet.

I am using MFP which I really like, my Iphone is attached to my hip at all times, I swear if I could have it implanted I would. I use it to track calories. I am concentrating especially as I transition to staying around 1800 calories a day.

I am also trying to exercise 6 days a week, combination of walking, biking and aquacise, for anywhere from 1-2 hours a day if possible (schedule doesn't always permit it)

As for the food I'm eating, trying to do less processed, more veggies and fruits. I know that I do like my lean protein, and I have learned that Tofu absorbs flavor excellently! I am a carnivore however so while I am trying to dial back the red meat and pork, I know that occasionally I am going to crave that steak!

Anyway it is really interesting to see what people are doing.

amandie
03-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Love reading through this thread.

I do Weight Watchers using the old plan and I love it because there are no restrictions and I can have anything I want as long as I can fit it in my points.

I do not work out right now but I do need to get back to working out on a consistent basis again VERY soon.

Nojunk4me
03-21-2013, 12:13 AM
I am counting calories (Trying to stay under 1,400), walking on treadmill atleast 6 days a week for 30 minutes, and drinking 80- 100 ounces of water a day. So far it seems to be working, I am sure I will need to tweak it in another 3 - 4 weeks.

wannaBfitnessbuff
03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Also, a real big one for me, is that when I commit to making myself a priority, I lose weight. Taking the time to plan my meals, chop fresh veggies, exercise, wear clothes that look nice, tame my wild, curly hair, do my nails - all of these things make me feel good and seem to go along with the mentality that "I am worth taking care of - inside and outside."

This is awesome and thank you for sharing. I feel like I have ben working hard to have the right attitude towards myself this round. But while I tell myself everyday that I don't deserve to talk down to myself, I feel like what you posted here is a step I need to take. I feel fat so I hide in sweats and ugly baggy cloths lately. I know it make me look even bigger, but I do it because I feel like it's a shield from facing the reality of the weight I gained. I will work at showing myself on the outside and not just telling myself on the inside.

geoblewis
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
I've found some consistent success after figuring how my body works and what is best for my specific issues. I am a type 2 diabetic managing only with diet and exercise. I also have PCOS. I'm perimenopausal.

I have some food sensitivity issues that helped me remove nearly all processed food from my diet, and I don't eat out much any more. The carb sensitivity and diabetes helped me learn what to eat and when to eat.

So here's my formula for succeeding, and it's more than just diet and exercise. It's my lifestyle, and it works beautifully for me, WHEN I'M NOT DISTRACTED FROM MY PATH. Alas, I am flawed and human...

1. Get 8 hours of sleep, consistently going to bed and waking up at the same time every day.
2. Drink plenty of water. That's 11 8-oz. glasses a day for me.
3. Here's my diet - I eat breakfast within half an hour of waking up. About 65% of my calories come from healthy fats. About 30% of my calories come from protein, and the remaining 5% is from carbs in the form of non-starchy vegetables. I eat lunch about four hours after breakfast. Lots of veggies in a big salad, with avocado, fish or chicken, olive oil dressing. And cheese. I eat a mid-afternoon snack that includes a slice of Julian Bakery sourdough bread. It's high in fiber and protein. I put half an avocado on it, or cheese. For dinner I cut back on my protein, but still eat lots of veggies and healthy fats. I might have a sweet potato or roasted winter squash. I eat a bit later into the evening. It helps me get sleepy for bed. One day a week, I fast from everything but water.
4. I do cardio on a rowing machine six days a week in the mornings after breakfast for about 30 minutes. I do Pilates 3 days a week in the evenings, and a Pilates based cardio workout 3 days a week. I do TRX and weight training for an hour or two (depending on how slowly I care to do it) three days a week. It may sound like a lot of exercise, but I slowly worked up to this level, and I don't really work up a big sweat and get stressed by it. I really love all the exercise that I do, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. I take one full day off from exercise per week (on my fast day) and I take a week-long break from exercise every three months.
5. I do a practice of meditation to help me with my stress levels.
6. I have put together a wonderful team of support, in person and online. They have my back!
7. I get sunshine, at least 15 minutes, every day.
8. I take this all one day at a time.

Had to change my whole life. My life really is all about me now. And it brings me joy!

Trazey34
03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
When I first started (for realsies) I had already gone thru about 4 months of some counselling. I finally gave in and looked at myself in the mirror and admitted there was something going on that I couldn't see (except for the size 24 pants of course)

Once I had a lightbulb moment of having been spoiled and indulged my entire life, and that the 2 year old BRAT was still controlling my food choices, I dealt with it and moved on.

Sooooo that left me emotionally ready to not 'try' to do it, but to do it!

I started with simple math, calorie counting. And since I'm lazy as F*K a walk a week was about all I could muster...until 20 or 25 lbs. came off in 2 months and I felt a bit more energy. Then I just walked a bit more (if it was cold I'd do laps inside a local rec centre for free) and gradually started eating better so I could get more bang for my calorie buck

But still ate crap because I'm human LOL I just accounted for it that's all. Instead of the supersized meal, I got the kids meal etc.

As I got stronger, I got nuttier I think! I was never one for the gym culture, so I did "extreme cleaning" or "extreme yardwork" ha ha and when MINE was done, I'd go do it for an elderly neighbour or family member who was struggling a bit -- a 2fer! you feel good helping and it works up a sweat if you go hard ;)

Now I've been in a holding pattern for a few years, seems all so long ago and far away but it's ALWAYS in the back of my mind, I always do a "state of the union" address to myself a few times a year to be sure i'm on track!

ps my new obsession is weighted HULA HOOPING!!!! soooo ridiculous hilariously FUN and really has changed my tummy area !

Daisynyc
03-27-2013, 07:48 PM
bump

IanG
03-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I'm doing it NASTY! But it works for me.

First, I am intermittant fasting between 7am and 1pm. I skip dinner.

Secondly, I am just eating salads (with protein such as eggs, meat etc.). And I take a multivitamin.

In the evenings I drink beer.

Exercise is fully integrated into my lifestyle. I walk instead of drive to work. I work on the house at the weekends. No gym or exercise that does not result in a tanglible outcome since no time (married with twin 2 year old boys).

And so far so good.

I did this with the sudden realization (after 10 years of being obese) that I was eating dinner too late at night for the sake of it i.e. I was eating a meal without being hungry. So I skipped it. And once I skipped it, I thought what the heck, let's max out on making the other meals more healthy. But beer has always been my red line. Can't drop that.

RXAsh1
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
I found myself a gym buddy to make me go every single day whether I want to or not. I also cook once a week and bag everything in freezer bags that are properly portioned full meals, and stick them in the freezer. It makes it easy to just go and not think about what I'm going to eat. All I do is throw snacks into my lunchbox with my breakfast and lunch and I'm ready to go.

This is helping. I'm also making sure that I get plenty of water and rest. You'd be surprised how much that has to do with success--at least I was. :^:

gwenaa
03-27-2013, 11:12 PM
i started with just calorie counting but had very little results from that so i just started the 30ds along with calorie counting and making smart food choices. i love to eat so being able to eat more healthy food then a small amount of bad foods is finally starting to kick in more lol.

deadkittens
03-30-2013, 04:13 AM
i eat whatever i want..chocolate,candy,chips,bread,pizza. just not more than 1450 calories a day. diet plans seem kind of pointless to me unless you need it to keep you interested. for me i have found they all come down to how many calories your eating. i eat horrible but i lose weight. it really is all about calories.
i watched tons of documentaries and shows on weight loss and the different diets and no matter how fancy or complicated they tried to seem they all just come down to calories in the end and i guess i learned that i dont need a diet plan to follow and that for me they are useless so i just calorie count and i use my treadmill to burn extra calories and i usually lose 10lbs a month unless i cheat ;).

kayin
03-30-2013, 09:16 PM
IanG: I am kinda doing a similar plan (but I hate beer!)

Intermittent fasting from 9pm to 5pm, very low carb, and loosely calorie counting. I am losing about 1/2 pound a day, but it'll probably slow down as I get closer to my goal weight.

Training for mountain hiking so I'm walking twice a day for at least an hour each time.

Vanessa M.
03-31-2013, 01:48 AM
I am re-losing a good portion of the weight I lost 6 years ago, pre babies, lol. I'm mimicking what worked for me then, and plan to modify where needed.

I'm journaling via FitDay, keeping my calories at 1200 strictly.

No drinking my calories!

Get enough protein!

Posting here daily. If I disappear, that means I f'ed up bad!

30 Day Shred, currently on day 4 of level 1, doing great!

Will be starting c25K as soon as I feel strong enough, I think May or June.

Water and sleep. As much as I can! Not easy with 5 kiddos under 10!

These strategies will be considered my "pre training" for a Tough Mudder in November, eek! I'm still developing my plan for that. I'm scared though!

To touch on the "other" side of weight loss success for me, I'm practicing positive self talk, reflecting on my achievements no matter how small, and giving myself permission to forgive my own imperfections. This is harder for me than the physical work and discipline weight loss requires...

rodeogirl
03-31-2013, 03:39 AM
Vanessa - for the Tough Mudder I recommend taking a mouth guard (like football players have) for the half pipe leap. I saw two women break their teeth last year when I drove a friend who was participating in it. I saw many women complete it just fine but better safe than sorry!

slick776
04-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Metabolic research center for me. Low carb high protein. About a gallon and a half of water a day and 30 mins exercise 5x a week.

Daimere
04-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Currently I am doing Simple Diet (3 shakes, 2 entrees, 5 vegs/fruits)

Katie816
04-15-2013, 03:39 PM
1. Calorie counting 1200-1500 calories. No food is off limits.
2. Try to keep carbs below 50% but it's not the end of the world if it's a little higher.
3. Adding in excercise this week, 3 days cardio, 3 days heavy lifting.