Weight Loss Support - Calories

View Full Version : Calories

Silverfire
01-23-2013, 02:50 PM
My friends and are all participating in a who can lose 20lbs first challenge at work. Today at the lunch table the topic of how many calories are you eating came up. Everyone at the table was around the 12-1400 mark. I am at 1800. I weigh close to 300lbs, the most any of them weigh is 250. One person in particular was saying that I was eating way too many calories and I will never lose any that way!

And now comes the second guessing myself. At 1800 calories with my rather sedentary lifestyle, I should be losing about 2 lbs per week (And I have been)I'm not out to lunch right?

I feel that if I were to try and reduce to 12-1400 cals a day I would just be so hungry all the time!

I tried to tell her that the difference between the calories I need and what she needs are totally different and they are going to be different for everyone!

While I appreciate that she would like to give advice I guess... I dunno. I'm just bothered by it now.

jenicra
01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Not only is 1800 calories right on for losing a couple of pounds a week, but you'll be more likely to stick with it because it's sustainable and you won't be starving every day, all day. Good for you - keep it up! I don't count calories, but I'd estimate I average 1600 and I'm in the 230s.

mnemosyne
01-23-2013, 02:55 PM
You have already seen the results, haven't you? Not only are you heavier, you are taller so you probably need a bit more no matter what. If you are comfortable with what you are eating and are losing weight, don't take advice from other people! You might just say: "Actually, I'm doing really well, paying close attention to my body. I am going to be at this a while so I want it to be sustainable!"

Or something else. Personally, I wouldn't participate in a discussion of how many calories I am eating with other people. Honestly.

Silverfire
01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks that's just the validation I needed. I knew I was on track, but its nice to hear (read) someone else say (write) it! lol. I am trying not to be secretive about what I am doing, or how I am doing it. I feel as though keeping it a secret is like being ashamed of it. This is the first time I have told anyone ever about trying to make some changes, and luckily I have had a good response so far. As for the lunch table discussions are thankfully between friends and usually lighthearted as we all are trying to get in shape, but just this one comment kinda stuck.

Its interesting to have these kinds of conversations because each one of us has a different plan or diet and everyday someone brings some sort of new information to discuss. Its all mostly positive!

Amarantha2
01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
You are on track, in my opinion, and your success validates this. Listen to your own good advice. Good luck on your challenge. :wave:

Arctic Mama
01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
They're the ones going stupidly low - your calories are just right. For most women over 200 pounds, 1800 a day is an excellent starting point. You can tweak from there as needed, but starting too low is a fatal mistake too many folks make (and then they can't stick to their plans).

free1
01-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Ignore Them :)

Mozzy
01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
You're right on target, good luck with your twenty pound challenge!

natamars
01-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds like you're doing great!!! Stick with what's working! And I hope you win:)

Silverfire
01-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone!

elvislover324
01-23-2013, 03:41 PM
1800 sounds right to me! I wouldn't even debate them on it, just nod and say ok.

What is your prize when you beat them all? :)

Good luck! And don't let them get in your head. Come here any time you need to, we will be here for you to vent/question/etc.

Silverfire
01-23-2013, 03:50 PM
The prize is you lost 20lbs of course ;).... Also the losers all chip in 25 bucks each for the winner (6 of us are participating)

TheLauren
01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Good luck! and you are right, the prize is definitely the weight loss!

Radiojane
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Money is an awesome motivator! Good luck fellow saskie!

elvislover324
01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Oops, yes the prize of 20lbs lost is definitely the best and I meant to reference that. That has a priceless value!

$125 will buy you something new to wear (flaunt!) around the office, hope it's you that wins!!

BeachBreeze2010
01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
If it wasn't "right", you wouldn't be seeing losses. Your body knows what the right level is for you and it sounds like you're clearly doing it. I swear losing weight can be frustrating sometimes because it's such a visible process and everyone is an "expert" on your body and what you should be doing. If it's working for you - don't change it!!

You may find after another 50lbs that you aren't losing as quickly as you'd like, then play with your calories again and see where you want to be. They are telling you what works for them but mistakenly applying that to you.

Congrats on your progress! Win that prize! Bring it home to 3FC! :D

Silverfire
01-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Had our weigh in yesterday and I am this weeks winner, not winning overall but I have have consistently lost 2 lbs a week so far, everyone else is all over the place! :D That was a pretty cool victory!

LockItUp
01-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Had our weigh in yesterday and I am this weeks winner, not winning overall but I have have consistently lost 2 lbs a week so far, everyone else is all over the place! :D That was a pretty cool victory!

Love it! Perfect example of actions speaking louder than words! You get to lose the most PLUS eat more -- SUPER WIN! :carrot: