Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #1  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

Default Work Out Routines?

I've just started going to the gym, and I love it! For the first year of my weight loss journey, I've stuck to walking/jogging, the elliptical and some very light strength training my in bedroom or following Youtube videos. I want to try and branch out to work on the trouble areas that I've discovered. I'm really excited about all of the equipment and options I have to choose from now, and after losing nearly 95 lbs, I don't feel as awkward and out of place there as I would have before.

What is your work out routine? Do you do whatever you feel like for that day? Do you have a set schedule? Should I alternate working different body parts every day? I've heard that was good for giving your muscles time to heal. How often do you do cardio? What exercises have you found most useful in terms of losing weight/losing inches/gaining muscle, etc?
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #2  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I recently started my weight loss journey. When I got to the gym, I shoot for 20 minutes on the treadmill at a rate of 3-4 mph. I end up walking over a mile this way. Then, I like to work with resistance on different machines for my upper body. I also use the chest press. I like to use the Inner and Outer Thigh Abductors as well. I like to cool down by walking a couple laps on the track. Ends up as a pretty level workout.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #3  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

I love spin classes! They will kick your butt in a good way! I know you do WW and undoubtedly get fewer points than I do (I get 34) , but I did spin for 68 minutes yesterday and earned 17 activity points. I get the biggest burn from spin/biking.

Cross training will prevent your body from figuring out what's going on exercise way and promote weights loss. So, essentially cardio 3-5 times a week plus weights. Light weights are for toning/sculpting and heavy weight lifting (as in 3 sets of 8 reps and your muscle is shaking on the last rep) will build muscle more quickly. I do full body weights when I do weights and skip a day in between to let my muscles heal.

When I'm religious about the gym this is my schedule:

M - Swim 1 mile + weights
T - Spin
W - Run/Arc + weights
T- Spin
F /S/S - Actually bike at some point and do some weights

I take 2 rest days.

When I'm training for triathlons it's a mix of swimming, biking and running with weights. I follow a training plan for this.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

I just do incline work on the treadmill. It burnssssss
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/160/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicskyline View Post
I've just started going to the gym, and I love it! For the first year of my weight loss journey, I've stuck to walking/jogging, the elliptical and some very light strength training my in bedroom or following Youtube videos. I want to try and branch out to work on the trouble areas that I've discovered. I'm really excited about all of the equipment and options I have to choose from now, and after losing nearly 95 lbs, I don't feel as awkward and out of place there as I would have before.

What is your work out routine? Do you do whatever you feel like for that day? Do you have a set schedule? Should I alternate working different body parts every day? I've heard that was good for giving your muscles time to heal. How often do you do cardio? What exercises have you found most useful in terms of losing weight/losing inches/gaining muscle, etc?

First of all, GREAT JOB ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!! Have you heard of or thought of trying crossfit? I'm in my 6th month and so far I have lost 7" on my waist, 5" around my hips/butt, 2" on each thigh and 1" around my bicep. As far as weight, it's been around 12 pounds, coming off slow, but i have gone down 2 pant sizes. I have not stuck with any type of workout routine in over 14 years!

Last edited by tonyamartin; 01-23-2013 at 02:24 PM.
tonyamartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #6  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone! My sister tried a crossfit class. She said it was insane but awesome. I don't know if I feel comfortable enough to try that, but maybe when I get stronger!

I also really want to try a spin class. I think it would be fun! I have to find someplace where they have those classes. My gym doesn't have group lessons.

I haven't been brave enough to try incline on the treadmill, but maybe I will give it a go!
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #7  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicskyline View Post
I haven't been brave enough to try incline on the treadmill, but maybe I will give it a go!
Just try it at 0.5 incline at first. You probably won't notice much of a difference, but you will notice the machine is saying you're burning more calories. If you can handle that, keep going up in 0.5 increments until you find one that works for you. I usually use a 1.0 incline when I'm doing 3-4 mph.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

^ I agree.. Baby steps with inclining.. I like it because it torches calories and its low impact.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Heavy weightlifting. Burns more calories than cardio (even more if you do both ) and gets the ol' metabolism going, I can eat like a horse and maintain where I am now. Will shave inches off everywhere and when you're a beginner the gains are so encouraging that it becomes addictive!

You don't have to only do THE BIG FOUR compound lifts either - baby steps are fine - try stumptuous.com for beginner workout ideas.

My workout routine is 5-6 days a week, never more than 1 hour per session, I try to lift 3 days/week or so and on non lifting days run intervals on the treadmill, jog outside if it's nice, take a class, or maybe hop on the elliptical/arc trainer/stairs/rower. Variety is the spice of life and keeps you from getting bored to tears.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Amen on the heavy lifting. I can't believe how much that helped kick me out of my first stall!

I swim every day, usually for 30 minutes in the morning - not just laps, I jog against my weight in the shallow water, do pilates stretches and a whole bunch of other resistance work, so that it becomes a cardio/strength mix. I usually do a full hour on Saturdays and Sundays.

I had to take a break for a shoulder injury, but I have a set of kettlebells at home that I try and do a full routine on at least twice a week. I also lift at least twice a week.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #11  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

RadioJane, just wondering where you swim? I love to swim, but I am really apprehensive about going to a public place to do so... Swimming will probably be the best way for me to burn serious calories though!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #12  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I live in a smallish city, so I have one option, and that's the public pool at the leisure center. They have specific slots throughout the day for what they call "lane swim", which is basically laps, but if you stay in your own lane you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I was mega self conscious when I started to go, but you get over it. Once you're in the water, you feel pretty invisible anyway. I tend to go in the early morning, because it's usually me and like 6 seniors that move at about the same pace I do. Noon's okay too because every one is in a hurry to get in and out. I avoid the evenings during the week day because the douchy oilfield gym rats tend to come in and do a quick dip and a sauna or hot tub, and they bug me. (They're not mean or anything, I just find them annoying as all heck).

Personally, I'd feel way more self conscious in a gym.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #13  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
I live in a smallish city, so I have one option, and that's the public pool at the leisure center. They have specific slots throughout the day for what they call "lane swim", which is basically laps, but if you stay in your own lane you can pretty much do whatever you want.
Awesome! I have been looking at the leisure centers in the city there are many to choose from, and have been strongly considering going, just finding the right time is going to be the challenge! Thanks for the info Sorry for butting in this thread!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #14  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I'm another weight lifting advocate! Cardio will make you skinny, lifting weights will make you look good! The newb gains are really encouraging as well!

I just started New Rules of Lifting Supercharged, I did my first workout today and I am beat! You get so much more of a workout in with strength training. I've started focusing on it again since now that I've gotten close to my goal weight I really don't want to end up 'skinny-fat'.

My first 6 weeks of New Rules of Lifting for Women I lost a few inches off my waist alone, and inches everywhere else!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #15  
under construction

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemo View Post
^ I agree.. Baby steps with inclining.. I like it because it torches calories and its low impact.
yes !!!!!! evreyone makes fun of me i do 30 mins on an 11 incline but i walk like a turtle (between 2 - 2.5) but i went from having a pancake butt to a decently nice butt im so proud id post a side profile pic if it were allowed !!!
modifyeddoll87 is offline   Reply With Quote