Ideal Protein Diet - Flavored Coffee

View Full Version : Flavored Coffee

Dinie89
01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
As my coach is away I can't ask her my some may say silly questions lol- my hubby won a Kureg coffee maker over the weekend which I am soo excited about been wanting one for a while now -

Well my question is - it has a wide variety of flavored coffees should I be avoiding these on IP ??

staceyjblack
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm a tea drinker, but listening in!

Dinie89
01-22-2013, 11:12 PM
So am I - I am excited since they have the self brewer cup thing- but I do love some of there flavored coffees especially the iced French vanilla =) but I dunno if I can have those on IP - never less then tons of variety they have- I would not want to purchase one that's would be throwing me out of ketosis - even if there is a certain nutritional info guide limits I should stay within =)

frazzledmom04
01-22-2013, 11:20 PM
I have a keurig.and had flavored coffee from day 1. I did try to limit myself to only 1 or 2 and for every cup over your first make sure you drink an extra glass of water.

goldilocksinct
01-22-2013, 11:24 PM
I use my Keurig for tea--either with a bag just getting the cup of hot water from the machine or getting the K cups for herbal tea (not the iced tea k cups that have sugar in them).

I love flavored coffee but I like it with cream, so I am doing tea.

WorldTraveleronIP
01-22-2013, 11:28 PM
From the Keurig website FAQs:
"Question Back to top
Is there any fat or sugar in your K-Cup® packs?
Answer
Coffee and tea K-Cup® packs do not contain fat or sugar. Natural and artificial flavorings added to coffee do not add any significant nutritional value. A cup of regular black coffee will contain approximately 2-4 calories (less than 1 gram carbohydrates) and 0 fats. Flavored coffees will add 0.8 calories, 0.3 grams carbohydrates and 0 fats. "

Technically, an IP coach would say "no." The reason is that if you deviate from the sheet, than it must be 0 carbs/0 sugar/0 fat. I personally wouldn't risk it-instead, try Torani sugar free vanilla in your regular or decaf coffee or Walden Farms chocolate or caramel sauce in your coffee. You could do that every morning and be fine :)

Dinie89
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Ya I figured the ice coffee be out - just with so many brands and flavor of judt cofee of k cups I wanted to stay with IP "coffee limits" we should say - thanks for the input

scorbett1103
01-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Flavored coffee beans are fine. Obviously you can't do the keurig cocoas but the flavored coffees are no problem.

Anything that is labeled 0 carbs usually actually DOES have a little carbs in it - per FDA regulations they can label something 0 carbs if it has less than 1 carb per serving. You should limit coffee consumption anyway (because of the diuretic effect) so if you choose to have 1 or 2 cups of flavored coffee just count it in your "extras" for the day if you're concerned about the 0.3g carb.

Dinie89
01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
I don't drink coffee every morning maybe one every few days -- I am great full of all input I did find some tazo awake tea which I have always loved in k cups =) says 0-0-0 but like scorbett said it could still have carbs

EPAPRN
01-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Flavored coffees are ok - just not the ones that are artificially or naturally sweetened with sugar. I usually have a flavored coffee every AM from my Keurig - Pumpkin Spice, Cinnamon pastry or lately, gingerbread.

Recently Green Mountain Coffee and K-cups have been producing artificially or naturally sweetened iced teas, lattes and hot teas. Just avoid those because they are full of sugar or carbs or aspartame.

I have a membership to Green Mountain Coffee.com and have K-cups delivered to my house every 8 weeks or so. Hubby and I both drink coffee so we go through it. On the website when I choose what I want for the order, I read through the nutrition information first to make sure I am getting 0/0/0.

Cheekyskeeter
01-23-2013, 05:56 AM
Great question! I just assumed I couldn't have my flavoured coffees so have been sticking to decaf k-cups. Glad to know they should be ok. I have a box of decaf hazelnut sitting in my cupboard that won't go to waste now. Thanks!

SassyGirl424
01-23-2013, 06:03 AM
I love the flavored k-cups too. I checked the display at WM of cups and was surprised to see that a number of the flavored ones have a good amount of carbs in them!

Some of the boxes didn't have any nutrition info - so for those, I am guessing they must not have carbs? But, I was thinking I should stay away from the ones with 9,10, 11 carbs in a cup....

Anyone else go digging to find the actual carb counts on the flavored coffees?

scorbett1103
01-23-2013, 07:28 AM
I love the flavored k-cups too. I checked the display at WM of cups and was surprised to see that a number of the flavored ones have a good amount of carbs in them!

Some of the boxes didn't have any nutrition info - so for those, I am guessing they must not have carbs? But, I was thinking I should stay away from the ones with 9,10, 11 carbs in a cup....

Anyone else go digging to find the actual carb counts on the flavored coffees?

The kcups with carbs are usually the ones with cocoa in them, not plain coffee. Plain coffee (even flavored coffee beans) have 2 calories and negligible carbs.

MustangMolly
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
This is a bit off the topic but does apply to coffee, remember if you chose to drink regular not decaf that caffeine is an appetite stimulant.

WorldTraveleronIP
01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
This is a bit off the topic but does apply to coffee, remember if you chose to drink regular not decaf that caffeine is an appetite stimulant.

I am used to my morning cup of coffee-so I drink that (half decaf) and maybe will have a few sips at work in mid afternoon and it actually kills my hunger (hot liquid that perks). I always follow it up with loads of water, but I haven't noticed that it stimulates hunger in me. If anything, it calms it, like hot tea, which I use when I am hungry and my next meal is a few hours away.

SassyGirl424
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
The kcups with carbs are usually the ones with cocoa in them, not plain coffee. Plain coffee (even flavored coffee beans) have 2 calories and negligible carbs.

Are these cocoa drinks?
http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/Coffee/k-cup-cafe-escapes-cafe-vanilla

It shows 11 grams of carbs in it.

Alohakiwi
01-23-2013, 10:46 AM
I've been wondering this too. I have just been avoiding my flavored k cups. I have van houtte vanilla, I decided to let the boyfriend drink them all so I wouldn't be tempted and now only drink the regular coffee.

I find I drink so much tea now! But I find with some of the fancy look leafs they have dried fruit in them. I am also assuming we are to avoid those?

scorbett1103
01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Are these cocoa drinks?

That looks like a latte drink - which means there is probably some powdered milk in it to give it the froth. That's not regular flavored coffee grinds.

EDIT: IF you look at the ingredients list it says right on it there is sugar, creamer and cocoa in the kcup:

INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Creamer (hydrogenated coconut oil, glucose syrup, sodium caseinate (from milk), sodium polyphosphate, dipotassium phosphate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, silicon dioxide), Nonfat milk, Natural and Artifical Flavor, Modified Food Starch, Instant Coffee, Salt, Cocoa Powder, Sucralose.

Contains: Milk

mightbe
01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Are these cocoa drinks?

Yes, they are yummy but not ok for us on IP!

IPdivajen
01-23-2013, 12:30 PM
If you look at the box and there's no nutritional information you're generally good to go. That's my rule, anyway. Watch for ones called sweet and creamy or that are latte based or are hot chocolates...they're packed with sugar.

Flavouring is usually okay. Anything that comes out something other than black is likely out.

Dinie89
01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
I opened the box to mine today and it had a variety of coffee blends - dark medium Italian ect- I did look up the nutrionial info some have 5-2 carbs in them are those ok??

scorbett1103
01-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I opened the box to mine today and it had a variety of coffee blends - dark medium Italian ect- I did look up the nutrionial info some have 5-2 carbs in them are those ok??

Which ones exactly had carbs? Straight coffee grounds should not have carbs in them, so there might be other ingredients that you need to be aware of.

EPAPRN
01-23-2013, 09:26 PM
If it's flavored coffee, and you DON'T have to add milk/cream/sugar/Splenda/Stevia to it to make it sweet and light, then it is not appropriate for IP.

If it's flavored coffee, but not sweet or light then it should be ok. Go to www.greenmountaincoffee.com = they have all of their nutritional information posted, not just for their brand, but all the brands they carry (Gloria Jean's, Timothy's, 8 o'clock, Barista Prima, Caribou, Newman's, Emeril's, Tully's).

The 'Cafe Escapes', the fruit brews, apple cider, hot cocoa, flavored iced teas, flavored teas (antioxidant blends) all have sugar and/or powdered milk, and not IP appropriate.

Hazelnut, french vanilla, Kahlua, blueberry, french toast, gingerbread, egg nog, cinnamon pastry, chocolate donut, german chocolate, mocha nut, etc are all IP appropriate. There are also herbal teas in k-cups that are fine. And totally yummy. Here's the link to appropriate flavored coffees:

http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/shop/k-cups-category?facets=All%20K-Cup%20Packs%3ACoffee&TitleItem=KCup#back

IP43
01-23-2013, 09:48 PM
I love my Keurig and drink WAY too many of the French Vanilla Decaf a day. I'm sure I'll be well preserved from all the chemicals in there, but I love it too much and it helps fill me up and reduce snacking. You can get a "filter" thing, and I bought 4 for 9.99 at Walgreens on the holidays from the "as seen on tv" line so that you can scoop your own coffee, or add loose tea leaves if you want. I find I'm drinking a small fortune in K-cups at almost a buck a piece. Sheesh!
If you don't switch to decaf, you have to drink a cup (some people say 2!!) per coffee of extra water. I can't hardly get enough in as it is, without adding more H2O so decaf is the way I go.:coffee2: CHEERS!

Dinie89
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM
Which ones exactly had carbs? Straight coffee grounds should not have carbs in them, so there might be other ingredients that you need to be aware of.

Tazo awake dark tea
Timothy's - breakfast blend mild roast
Timothy's - Colombian roast medium roast
Van houtte original house blen medium roast
Van houtte Colombian medium blend
Barista prima coffeehouse - Italian roast

Is there a site I can look up the nutritional

byugrl
01-24-2013, 12:55 AM
I love my keurig and the k cup flavored coffees. You should see me down that isle it is too comical. I am taking boxes down scanning them with the MFP app to see if they have carbs, sugar etc. I have found some, I think it is the folgers vanilla biscotti and OMG the sugar and carbs they have in those are high. So you do have to be careful and look. I also google them if there not on MFP to see the nutritional value. I have had people move me out of the way so they can get to things they want cause I am researching. Oh well this is my health and diet and I'll take my time!

scorbett1103
01-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Tazo awake dark tea
Timothy's - breakfast blend mild roast
Timothy's - Colombian roast medium roast
Van houtte original house blen medium roast
Van houtte Colombian medium blend
Barista prima coffeehouse - Italian roast

Is there a site I can look up the nutritional

Are you certain that these had carbs in them? A cup of coffee (flavored grinds or plain grinds) will have 2-4 calories, but negligible carbs. This is from the Keurig website:

Coffee and tea K-Cup® packs do not contain fat or sugar. Natural and artificial flavorings added to coffee do not add any significant nutritional value. A cup of regular black coffee will contain approximately 2-4 calories (less than 1 gram carbohydrates) and 0 fats. Flavored coffees will add 0.8 calories, 0.3 grams carbohydrates and 0 fats.

I also looked up that list of k cup flavors on My Fitness Pal and none of them listed carbs.

Dinie89
01-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Are you certain that these had carbs in them? A cup of coffee (flavored grinds or plain grinds) will have 2-4 calories, but negligible carbs. This is from the Keurig website:

Coffee and tea K-Cup® packs do not contain fat or sugar. Natural and artificial flavorings added to coffee do not add any significant nutritional value. A cup of regular black coffee will contain approximately 2-4 calories (less than 1 gram carbohydrates) and 0 fats. Flavored coffees will add 0.8 calories, 0.3 grams carbohydrates and 0 fats.

I also looked up that list of k cup flavors on My Fitness Pal and none of them listed carbs.

Ment to put calories - oops - so if a coffee has calories - no carbs or sugar and no cocoa in in they are good to good?

Dinie89
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Are we allowed soy/almond Milk on IP? Can I substitute my 1oz skim for 1oz soy ? -- any one know?? I have some free soy milk coupons I don't wanna have to go waste lol

IdealProteinNewbie
01-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Are we allowed soy/almond Milk on IP? Can I substitute my 1oz skim for 1oz soy ? -- any one know?? I have some free soy milk coupons I don't wanna have to go waste lol

1 oz. of SKIM milk per day if you're staying 100%.

Others will tell you they substitute that for cheese, almond milk, soy milk, etc. but that is them just making up their own rules.

Dinie89
01-24-2013, 03:41 PM
1 oz. of SKIM milk per day if you're staying 100%.

Others will tell you they substitute that for cheese, almond milk, soy milk, etc. but that is them just making up their own rules.

Good to know- I am staying 100% IP =)

scorbett1103
01-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Ment to put calories - oops - so if a coffee has calories - no carbs or sugar and no cocoa in in they are good to good?

Yes - you want to avoid the carbs and the sugar, but most foods have SOME calories to them (with the exception of water). The 0/0/0 rule at the bottom of your phase 1 sheet is 0 Carbs, 0 Sugar and 0 fats.

markhenry
01-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Sort of off topic but still "coffee related" :) I know Splenda is allowed for a sweetener but what about Sweet & Low? I searched the forums but wasn't able to find anything. Anybody know if it's ok?

scorbett1103
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Sort of off topic but still "coffee related" :) I know Splenda is allowed for a sweetener but what about Sweet & Low? I searched the forums but wasn't able to find anything. Anybody know if it's ok?

Sweet & Low = aspartame = the devil of sweeteners. Avoid :)

markhenry
01-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Sorry, I googled "sweet low aspartame" and found this site:
http://www.sweetnlow.org/faqs/health.html#healthfaq07
It says that it contains saccharin and no aspartame, which should make it good to go?

scorbett1103
01-24-2013, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I googled "sweet low aspartame" and found this site:
http://www.sweetnlow.org/faqs/health.html#healthfaq07
It says that it contains saccharin and no aspartame, which should make it good to go?

Oops you are completely right! That's my bad :)

I actually found this post that talks about the different sweeteners, it might be useful for you:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238907-can-someone-give-me-quick-run-down-artificial-sugars.html

jennirion
01-26-2013, 09:09 AM
I like the Carmel Drizzle and Vanilla Biscotti flavored Kcups and my coach said its fine to have those.

Dinie89
01-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Are we allowed flavored teas- Teatly to be exact I seen today they have a strawberry and a majito flavor all 0/0/0

scorbett1103
01-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Are we allowed flavored teas- Teatly to be exact I seen today they have a strawberry and a majito flavor all 0/0/0

If they are tea bags with leaves that you brew like regular tea, they are fine. If they are powdered mixes you mix with water, just be super careful and treat it like an "extra"

Dinie89
01-28-2013, 10:50 PM
If they are tea bags with leaves that you brew like regular tea, they are fine. If they are powdered mixes you mix with water, just be super careful and treat it like an "extra"

Thank you I can't wait to try I love flavored teas especially chai

scorbett1103
01-28-2013, 10:53 PM
Thank you I can't wait to try I love flavored teas especially chai

Me too! I use a Lipton Green Chai tea mixed with some vanilla protein shake to make a vanilla chai -topped with a little cinnamon it is OH SO GOOD!

jclc1984
01-29-2013, 12:53 AM
I love coffe and it is one of the hardest cravings of mine to control on this diet, I went on line and looked up the nutritional info, not sure why the FDA does not require it like evevery thing else but it was easy to fine

scorbett1103
01-29-2013, 12:57 AM
I love coffe and it is one of the hardest cravings of mine to control on this diet, I went on line and looked up the nutritional info, not sure why the FDA does not require it like evevery thing else but it was easy to fine

It's because there's essentially nothing nutritionally to plain brewed coffee. There are 2-5 calories, and pretty much nothing else. It's essentially the same reason there's no FDA labels on water.

Maile
01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Starbuck's newest ground coffee carmel flavored has corn sugar in it. It is 0 calories and less than one carb. I am thinking this might not be good because of the sugar. I could not find the ingredients for the new starbucks vanilla flavored coffee.

healthyangie
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I have a Keurig at home and in my office and I use it constantly! I'll do flavored coffee with vanilla rtd and cinnamon in the afternoon and sometimes chai tea the same way.

They also have a lot of herbal teas - lemon zinger is my favorite!

The regular cups are fine but you will notice they have some that are not compliant like the 1/2 1/2 sweet tea, the chai latte, etc. if you go on Keurig.com and register you're brewer you'll get 2 boxes free with the purchase of 2 and all the flavors have the nutrition facts!

Enjoy that keurig!!!

scorbett1103
01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Starbuck's newest ground coffee carmel flavored has corn sugar in it. It is 0 calories and less than one carb. I am thinking this might not be good because of the sugar. I could not find the ingredients for the new starbucks vanilla flavored coffee.

That's so unfortunate that they have to add sweetener to their coffee grounds - you definitely have to use common sense when looking at these things. If there's no ingredient list or the only thing mentioned is tea leaves or coffee beans, you're good. But as soon as those dextrins show up....bad news.

IdealProteinNewbie
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM

I haven't looked it up myself, but I did notice they had a "vanilla blonde roast" last week when I was at Starbuck's.

I asked the barista and she said it does contain sugar :(

Liddybean
01-29-2013, 01:19 PM
you have to read the label. some of them have added sugar. I bet they're great with the IP vanilla drink.