Atkins - Is this normal?

View Full Version : Is this normal?

PrettyMom09
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I started Atkins on January 4. I have been keeping my cabs at under 20 grams per day. The first week I lost 8 pounds, but I haven't lost an ounce since then. I have not gone off plan. Is this normal? I don't expect a huge loss every week, but I was hoping for at least 1/2 pound per week. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

TripSwitch
01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I know Atkins doesn't count calories any only counts carbs... But the first place I would look if I wasn't losing was at the amount of calories I was taking in... to see if I was truely creating a calorie deficit...

PrettyMom09
01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks! I decided to do Atkins because I do not like counting calories, but I might have to count calories even while doing Atkins. I didn't increase the amount of food I was eating before, I just cut out all carbs (except for some veggies), but that might still be too much food.

BrenM
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
You don't have to necessarily count calories right now....but you definitely want to make sure you're eating enough. And how many carbs do you think you eat a day? That might make the difference also. And water intake? If you've added exercising, that can halt things a little. Don't forget to measure. Sometimes you don't lose weight--just inches.

StephanieM
01-22-2013, 07:27 PM
I count calories as well because tablespoons of mayo and olive oil add up quick!

Can you show me a sample of what a daily meal looks like? Have you used any Atkins products like the shakes or bars?

PrettyMom09
01-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Stephanie,

This is a typical day for me:

Breakfast - two scrambled eggs and two pieces of bacon
Lunch - A grilled chicken breast and a small salad with no dressing
Dinner - A piece of steak or chicken and a small salad with no dressing

I mostly drink water, except I have a cup of coffee in the morning with a little heavy cream.

I'm thinking the fat from the bacon and the cream are adding too many calories?

I was extra disappointed today because I weighed myself and I actually gained one pound :(

Radiojane
01-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Your first loss was water weight. Carbs cause you to hold more water.

Give it a few weeks, but watch both your sodium intake and your caloric intake. Make sure you're drinking lots of water too.

Forevermercy
01-23-2013, 05:24 PM
I was extra disappointed today because I weighed myself and I actually gained one pound :(

Omigosh! This was almost the exact thing I posted on the V-day challenge thread last night.

I started a on Jan 7th and after loosing the 8-9 lbs at about .5 lbs a day, more a less, to just flatlining and then gaining a pound over the weekend I was super frustrated and disappointed last night. :?: So I vented on here lol.

Know you're not alone! :hug: I'm gonna see this thing thru at the very least till Valentine's Day and maybe we're just hitting a plateau while our body adjusts to the rapid weightloss.

Keep me updated and I'll do the same! :)

Forevermercy
01-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I know I'm not eating too much. I never go over 900 calories a day! And I religiously measure everything. I take all kinds of supplements and drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
So if anyone has any tips to get outta stalls would be greatly appreciated! :)

Radiojane
01-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Is 900 maybe too low for you then? I know if I don't eat back my burn ( eat to compensate for my exercise while still staying in a caloric deficit) everything just stops. Up your intake by 100 or 200 calories for a while to see if it helps.

dream710
01-24-2013, 12:34 AM
900 calories is pretty low. It's possible your body feels like it's in starvation mode, which will slow down the metabolism and make it difficult to lose weight. If possible try to add an additional 300 calories and see if that helps.

JerseyGyrl
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
This is a typical day for me:

Breakfast - two scrambled eggs and two pieces of bacon
Lunch - A grilled chicken breast and a small salad with no dressing
Dinner - A piece of steak or chicken and a small salad with no dressing

I mostly drink water, except I have a cup of coffee in the morning with a little heavy cream.

I'm thinking the fat from the bacon and the cream are adding too many calories?

(

Hi PrettyMom,

It doesn't look like you are eating enough or enough fat. Atkins is a high fat, moderate protein plan. During Induction, you should be eating 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads from the acceptable foods list. Bacon & heavy cream are perfectly acceptable on Atkins as is, butter, full fat mayo, full fat salad dressings etc. Unless you enjoy salad with no dressing, try adding 2 Tablespoons of Ranch. Yummmmm!!! Cook your eggs in butter, add a little mayo to that grilled chicken or a pat of butter to your steak. That is the beauty of Atkins!
Just curious, have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 or prior versions?
Hope this helps!
All the best to you!:)

PrettyMom09
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Thank you so much for all the wonderful responses. It's good to know that I'm not alone struggling with this. I am not giving up this time! I am sticking with the low carb diet even if I'm not losing weight at the moment (I actually gained another pound today, but that is not my point).

I'm not denying that I get so extremely discouraged when I see the scale going up instead of down, but I am willing to keep going until I see results.

JerseyGyrl - I read the book many years ago, but I need to read it again to refresh my mind. I am just so afraid of eating fat because all my life I have been told otherwise. I will read the book again and start over.

Forevermercy - Let's do this!!!

Thank you all!!

StephanieM
01-24-2013, 07:42 PM
PrettyMom, I know it's hard to get used to the idea of eating high fat. I've been eating high fat for awhile now though and I do feel so much better. I've also been losing slow and steady when I'm not exercising and quicker when I am.

Also don't get sucked into the idea of eating too few calories. I eat 1500-1600 a day and still lose. You should be able to lose on the same unless there is something medically wrong with you, which I doubt. Eating too low consistently messes you up in the long run.

BrenM
01-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey Jersey! Glad to see you're still around :) I love reading your advice :)

Forevermercy
01-24-2013, 11:10 PM
What are some ideas for added more fat into your diet. Without added carbs that can be difficult.
I guess I dont eat enough items to slather oils and butters on to! (which on any other diet is a good problem, lol) I could eat more meat I guess but that's upping my protein too, which I heard messes up your insulin resistance glycogen something, I dunno.

Radiojane
01-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Fry eggs in coconut oil. Eat the skin on the chicken.

StephanieM
01-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Two tablespoons of full fat mayo into a can of tuna fish adds a nice amount of fat :) It's really not that hard! Butter on your veggies is another easy one too.

ghost
01-25-2013, 01:38 AM
Use oil for cooking, preferably lard, butter or coconut oil. Use full fat dressings on salads and greens. Use half and half or HWC instead of milk (bonus, less carbs), avocado...best super food ever, BACON! Ribeye steak, fatty cuts of pork, the chicken skin on, mayo, olive oil...I could go on...

If you want to do low fat and low carb, that called Dukan and puts a ton of stress on your kidneys because its high protein and protein molecules are larger then carb or fat molecules so they gum up the works down there. Also, high protein with an uncontrolled calorie diet leads to gluconeogenesis and an insulin response which negates ketosis. Drink tons of water if you are going that route and expect kidney stones in the long term.

Forevermercy
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Ok.. so try to keep protien low (what's a good range?) and fat high?
I can do that! Bring on the pork rinds! :)

PS. Definitely dont want kidney stones!!! lol

ghost
01-25-2013, 12:25 PM
In order to find out how much protein you need you need to know your lean body mass. I have to get to work, but on my next break ill post a link to a calculator that can help you figure this all out.

ghost
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

This is the link to the keto calculator, in step 4 there is a link to a body fat calculator. If you use the whole calculator you will find out your BMR, body fat %, lean body mass, Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) your daily caloric needs, and macro nutrient rations for a ketogenic (low carb) diet.

marigrace
01-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Wow, that keto calculator is amazing !
Noticed something in the "sticky" FAQ thread regarding stalls . It seems to say that your body goes through another period of retaining water after the first few weeks.

JerseyGyrl
01-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Just something to keep in mind....According to Dr. Atkins, its not an "official stall" unless you've gone 4 weeks without any weight loss or loss of inches.

StephanieM
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

This is the link to the keto calculator, in step 4 there is a link to a body fat calculator. If you use the whole calculator you will find out your BMR, body fat %, lean body mass, Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) your daily caloric needs, and macro nutrient rations for a ketogenic (low carb) diet.

That's one of the neater calculators I've seen online. Thanks for sharing! I manually calculated all this a few months ago and this would have saved the headache. The numbers that came up were very similar to mine.

ghost
01-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Just something to keep in mind....According to Dr. Atkins, its not an "official stall" unless you've gone 4 weeks without any weight loss or loss of inches.

So true, and I know a lot of other long time members of 3FC will agree with that statement. One of the biggest FAILS of dieting is lack of consistency and impatience.

Forevermercy
01-26-2013, 12:07 AM
You guys are awesome! And Ghost I read some of your blog today. Wow!... Seriously, you need to write a book! Seeing as I'm a numbers geek myself, you're speaking my language! Love it!
Will definitely do the calculator tomorrow.

And I highly recommend Ghost's blog: deflatedadipocytes.blogspot.com

PrettyMom09
01-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!! I had a bad weekend, but I am back on track. I do need to be patient. I couldn't find a copy of my Atkins book, so I had to order a new one. I will read it again, and I'll be more patient.

I am finally done with radiation (breast cancer), so my stress levels should go down considerably. I'm sure that will help too.

Have an awesome week!!!

Forevermercy
01-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Oh gosh, Prettymom... so sorry to hear, but happy to hear you're doing well! I can't imagine! BC runs in my family. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

And yea patience is something you definitely need when dieting. I thiiink I may have finally broken my stall? But after reading Ghost's blog I definitely understood why the stall in the first place.

Understanding= more patience. for sure!

Keep us updated!

PrettyMom09
01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi Forevermercy! Glad to know you are making progress. As far as the breast cancer goes, it's been a tough few months, but it's getting better. I am 39 and breast cancer does not run in my family. I had a double mastectomy in September and then 6 weeks of radiation that ended last week. Don't skip your yearly exams because that's how I found out. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

futurehealthyme
01-29-2013, 11:15 PM
PrettyMom09, may you be blessed and cancer free for the rest of your life!
I am wishing you the very best and hope that this is just a bump ( a big scary bump......but not more than that as years go by) in the road in your life.....
All the best to you!!!:)

StephanieM
01-30-2013, 12:02 AM
PrettyMom, I'm glad things are better now!

PrettyMom09
01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks ladies! Cancer sucks, but having cancer made me re-think my life choices. I have let my weight keep me from fully enjoying my life, and that is something that I know I can control, so here I am!!!

Salena11
02-20-2013, 04:49 PM
I am so glad to hear you're better !!
I wish you a happy healthy C free life.

Comicbookmommy
03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
You look like you're not eating enough food, and not eating enough vegetable carbs, and not only that, you need to up your carbs from 20. I tried extended induction and it only stalled me. I lost better when I ate 30-50 carbs a day (most of it from veggies). Show your body you're not starving it, and that it's okay to let go of the fat.

Also, your body has a lot of changing to do to accomodate the 8 pounds of water lost, and the use of ketones for energy instead of carbs. This means you could be losing, but are bloating a little back to compensate. Eventually your body will adapt, and lose the bloating, leaving you able to see the real pounds lost (people refer to this as a weight "woosh").

Good luck to you! :) You can do it!