South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197//135

Height: 5'1"

Default budget

We went grocery shopping today, we are starting phase 1 tomorrow. I remember from doing it a few yrs ago about the initial price jump but man, was very surprised at how much money we spent today. I know in the long run it will be worth it, i just wish the lean meat cuts didn't cost so much! I really hope this works for us. I didn't reread the book and so just been going off of what I remember from before and recipea. I hope we are going to do well on it and I'm praying it works and we can stick to thos lifestyle! I really want it for me and a good change for my family! Any tips on staying good in phase one?
db1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/244/140

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi db1982! I just finished phase 1 and realized (slowly) that part of having a "healthy lifestyle" is being kind to myself and treating myself to nutritious food...and a major part of "success" for me can't come from the immediate change in the numbers on the scale, but how I feel about myself...and I've been feeling more positive since I've gotten my food a bit more under control. I hope this doesn't sound preachy, it's just been a major revelation and I'm excited about it.

In terms of the cost of eating healthier foods...I just remind myself that, in the long run, being in better health and not having to buy a wardrobe for every new size I hit (I seriously have clothes for ten different people in my closet at this point!) will be cheaper than all of the alarmingly high receipts from Whole Foods!

Good luck with phase one!!!
EliseVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/136/125

Height: 5'4''

Whenever I stress about the price of good, nutritious food, I think about how much money a 5 day hospitalization for, say, chest pain costs (around $30,000 I believe), and I think that food costs are just a drop in the bucket. Plus I tend to feel more emotionally well balanced when I'm eating well, so I figure I'm saving on not doing stupid things like impulse shopping for clothes, too.

Plus, Americans actually spend a smaller percentage of their income on food than any other country (http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marb...-spending-less). The only reason we think food should be so cheap is because our government subsidizes the calories that make us fat (e.g., corn.) But that's a rant for another day... :-)

Good luck on P1!!
zestfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/244/140

Height: 5'6.5"

That Mother Jones article is fascinating. Thanks for sharing, zestfest!
EliseVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

remember -there are many fresh veggies you can buy frozen and save on costs. I know it's a jump but remember - you also save money on eating out!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote