Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/155

Height: 5'5"

Default Weight loss after Thyroidectomy?

After months of tests and doctors visits, biopsies, ultrasounds and various tests I have finally reached the decision to have a total thyroidectomy in the near future.

The biopsy results were "a-typical" (abnormal), the gene therapy testing results were "suspicious" (taking me from a 25% chance of Thyroid Cancer to 80-85%). We wont know anything for sure until everything is tested. If rather not do a partial surgery and then have to go back and do it again (due to all my other previous thyroid issues / cysts / surgeries).

I know the #1 rule is not to Google or use the internet to find out about your illnesses... but like everyone else, I did it and now am very concerned about my weight after the surgery.

I realize it is trial and error with the hormone dosage, but am reading about people who were around my weight (230lbs) gaining anywhere from 10-100lbs. I cannot handle that type of weight gain as I have been working hard to maintain the overweight weight that I am. I have not have a working thyroid in over a year, so at least the hormones, if correct dosage is figured out, will help me get healthier.

I guess what I'm looking for are for users of this forums stories. I have been on this for years and met some incredible people who I trust with information and who have shared their stories with me.

A lot of the info I found is years old. If anyone has anything they could share it would help me come to terms with what is coming my way.

I realize everyone is different, and I could have this done and lose weight with diet and exercise. I could also gain weight and lose my mind.

Looking forward to hearing from you, for better or worse. Any info is appreciated.
k8zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #2  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

My mother needed to have a thyroidectomy about 15 years ago. She was normal weight before the procedure, and she was able to maintain her weight after the procedure without undue difficulty. (It was only post-menopause and after retiring that she gained some weight -- and she has been able to slowly reduce it, as well.) That's pretty second-hand info, but I hope it gives you hope that such a thing *is* possible!

There is a lot of controversy and conflicting opinions online about thyroid medications. My mother abhors Synthroid (had a bad experience with it initially, I think) and tells me that Armour thyroid was significantly re-formulated several years ago. At that time she switched to a different natural thyroid medication called Nature-throid and has had very good results. (I admit, I think she has to go to some lengths to get it - I'm not sure it's normally available in the US...)

Anyway, I wish you the very best! You may be in for some real trial-and-error with the med levels, but I'm sure you'll find your new equilibrium eventually and be able to lose!

Last edited by Desiderata; 01-21-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/230/155

Height: 5'5"

Thank you! I really appreciate the advice and will look into the meds, especially the natural meds to see if they are even available here (I sure hope they are as i'd feel better going with something natural).

Surgery is tomorrow. I'm sure it will go fine.
k8zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #4  

Good luck with your surgery, will be thinking of you.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote