Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1  
Onward & Downward

Default Beginner vids for strength/toning

I'm looking for beginner exercise video ideas. I'm specifically looking for basic weights and toning type DVDs that will help me work on abs, etc. I can't do lunges or the like (had a hip replacement 2 years ago).

My space is fairly small (5'x5' to move in tops) and I don't have any equipment other than 2, 3 & 5# free weights, a mat, and an elliptical (my primary source of cardio). I'm willing to get bands but no clue what I'm looking for.

I'd like to start with 2-3 to give me a variety but not be overwhelming. Some vid suggestions for cardio to give me alternatives from the elliptical would be nice too.

Re: Leslie Sansone--Is the actual walking done in these videos or are you to go walk on your own?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by LuvCats; 01-20-2013 at 05:54 PM.
LuvCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

I like Core Secrets.... it is from a few years ago (early-mid 2000s) and I think you'd have to get them off Amazon now though. I also think some of the vids require a stability ball, which may be a nice addition to your home gym.

Walk Away the pounds is all walking in place as you watch the dvd......there are some intervals (where you walk faster or jog in place) in some of the vids...there are also other moves (leg lifts, walking side to side) for variety

Last edited by straightahead; 01-20-2013 at 06:24 PM.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #3  
Onward & Downward

Thanks straightahead I ordered a walk away the pounds dvd. I'm thinking about the stability ball. That is probably a good idea and my daughter and I can use the same one.

I'm definitely still shopping for a simple dvd that will help me with the free weights I've got. I'm looking at one by Denise Austin called "Personal Training System." It seems pretty simple plus has a short cardio workout on it.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Another vote for Walk Away The Pounds...It can be modified to work for you. I lost a lot with the DVDs and helped me prepare for running. FYI- You can watch a full DVD on youtube.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #5  
Onward & Downward

Thanks, free1. It should come today. I ordered a beginners one.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #6  

I own more Walk Away the Pounds than I can count, and love them. Was hard for me to give up my VHS set a few yrs ago, but then I realized the amount of Leslie DVDs I had!

Shape Bikini Body Workout is a good one IMO. It is less than $7 on Amazon.
jcatblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/198/150

Height: 5'2"

I have used The Firm, "Total Body Toner" in years past and plan to pick it up again (I tried a few weeks ago and couldn't get through 10 minutes!). It's a 40 minute strength trainer that you can do without weights or with weights (they tell you which size to use and have one gal that does the exercises without any so you can see her form if you are not using the weights yet). It is low impact too.

I probably either picked it up from Wal-Mart, Target or Amazon, not sure as I've had it since about '08 or '09.
RhondaHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #8  

I have a couple of suggestions. Petra Kolber's Step by Step Strength Training is a great one for beginners to weight lifting. There are two 10 minute segments and two 20 minute segments that can be mixed and matched as you go. The moves are slow and controlled, and Petra is very encouraging in her instruction. Another good one is Jane Fonda's Trim Tone and Flex. There are two 20 minute segments, upper and lower body. This is marketed more to seniors but it is also great for beginners of any age. The moves are slow here too, so it would be easy to up the weight sizes as you get stronger. Regarding the previous suggestions upthread for Walk Away the Pounds - I love Leslie Sansone's videos too, and use them regularly, but they are primarily cardio with a bit of light toning - not really serious weight training.

Last edited by kerrycork; 03-17-2013 at 07:41 PM.
kerrycork is offline   Reply With Quote