Weight Loss Support - Cabin fever

View Full Version : Cabin fever

susiefleshner
01-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Cabin fever has set in and winter is just half over. *sigh* Anyone else feel this way? I will be so happy when the weather gets warmer and the days are longer.

elvislover324
01-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Definitely having cabin fever here. I don't enjoy walking outside in the frigid cold, it's not satisfying to me like a normal walk is.

And...I bought a bike at the end of the summer that I haven't been able to ride yet. I'm so dumb that I didn't realize there was a weight limit on them and I was over it when I bought it (popped tires anyone? I would have died!). I was too embarrassed to tell my husband about my mistake so I just made it look like I wasn't confident enough yet to try and ride it.

Spring has to be on it's way, I saw swimsuits in the mall the other day! Brrrrrrr!

losermom
01-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I HATE winter! I attempt to counteract my loathing by very regular exercise and forcing myself to socialize. Sometimes it's really hard to go out in the cold to meet someone/group but it's always worth it in the end.

danzingurl77
01-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Oh my heck- yes, yes, and YES. I loathe winter. There have been record lows in my area for almost 3 weeks now- we have been celebrating if the temp gets over 20. The worst part is the inversion in my area. I'm surrounded by mountains (which- I will admit, is good for skiing- the SINGLE decent thing about winter,) but it traps all the nasty air down in the valleys in the winter- we have had "red air days" to go Witt the record lows which means that people are actually advised by doctors not to spend time outside - breathing in all the gunk. I have mild asthma so this especially applies to me.

There is about 18 inches of snow at my house- about a week ago there were over 350 reported car accidents just in my area because the roads were so bad. I miss being warm. I miss the sun. I hate having to put 49 layers on just to get from my house to my car. I miss running outside. I miss GOING outside. I even hate the holidays (I know- I know, I'm a loser)

Ok- rant over. It's just hard for me to even put into words how much I hate this season. I am counting down- there are about 60 days until spring.

April Snow
01-19-2013, 11:25 AM
the weather here is so weird, earlier in the week, it was below 0 and today, we are going to be close to 60!!

betsy2013
01-19-2013, 11:31 AM
We've had a high pressure system here for over a week now so we're getting beautiful days where Mt. Rainier is out in all its glory. But, it's cold.......for us. I have noticed that the sun comes up earlier and it doesn't get dark now until 5 PM. It takes so little to make me happy>:)

But, yes, I'm ready for winter to be over. I have several friends who go skiing, snow shoeing and even mountain climbing. None of those are activities that I enjoy. It's harder for me to stay focused on the losing weight in the winter, too.

Quack Addict
01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Not me! I love the colder weather. (Having said that, I DON'T like the heating bills that accompany it!) The air is brisk and clear... and the contrast of the cold air and the warm sun on your face feels so good. The heat and humidity of summer wear me down really quickly. :no:

danzingurl77
01-19-2013, 03:24 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread- but now I'm very curious- all of you winter haters/lovers... Where do you live?

bunny43
01-19-2013, 03:34 PM
I despise Winter...The snow, the ice...the frigid temps. Plus, here in NH Wintah' last forever!

I'm from California and moving to NH was a rude awakening.

I grumble all through Winter...

Grumble grumble...

sacha
01-19-2013, 03:52 PM
I HATE winter! LOL! I am from the west coast so no real winter. I now live in Quebec and it's -20C (husband's job...!).

I cannot wait until spring. I recently was generously gifted a high-end double jogging stroller and can't wait to be able to get in a nice run with both kids instead of the indoor treadmill when praying for a coordinating nap. I live on a lovely island with a beautiful well-known bike/path which is currently under 2 feet of snow :(

sacha
01-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I would love to do winter sports but my youngest is only 10 weeks, I am too worried to trip and hurt him. Next year hto!!

susiefleshner
01-19-2013, 05:00 PM
It's hard to stay motivated. These last few weeks have been extremely hard for me.All i think about is wanting to eat all the time. Most of the time I'm strong enough and stay on track. But to be honost I have had some binges. The temps are so crazy too. Like today it's 55 then tomorrows high is high 20's. I don't like the extreme back and forth. I'll be so happy when spring gets here.

I live in Central Illinois.

linJber
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm in NW PA on Lake Erie where we can get 30" of lake effect snow in less than 24 hours. I don't hate winter but I dislike moving that much snow!

Last year was near record low in snowfall here and this year has been very mild, too. Last Saturday we were in the 60s. This week will be in the teens! I think I dislike the short days more than anything. But they are noticeably longer than they were a month ago, so it's all getting better from here on. With the lack of snowfall, it fools me into thinking spring is closer than it actually is. I can't wait to get out of doors more, too.

Lin

forreal
01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
I live in Massachusetts and I hate winter too. But it makes me appreciate Spring so much more. The changing of the seasons is great -dread Winter but love Spring, Summer and Fall. Autumn in New England - there's nothing like it. Of course, now that I don't work any longer, Winter isn't as bad - I've always got a full pantry so I never have to go out in terrible weather - I can "hole up" in the house until the roads are clear. I'd like to get a generator though, just in case of power outages during ice storms.

If you could live anywhere in the US - where would it be and why?

drake3272004
01-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Eastern North Dakota here. We finally got enough snow to enjoy outdoor sports but now it's too freaking cold! :p

shcirerf
01-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Western Nebraska here. Also a winter hater!

Hate the cold and the short dark days. Bleh.

pinkflakes
01-20-2013, 04:43 AM
Yes me! I can't wait for summer!! Or spring for that matter...

angieand2girls
01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Southeastern Michigan here. It's 20 degrees out right now. I used to love the winter but after living in California for 5 years, then coming back here....I hate it.

annieway
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
I live in Los Angeles and the only bad thing about winter here is that it's dark early and late when I walk my dogs. I used to live in New York, so I really sympathize with those of you who have a real winter. I don't miss walking on ice (and falling) or having to dig my car out of snow at the end of a workday.

I do get to "taste" winter from time to time in my business travels. Next week I'm going to Prage, Czech Republic where the temps are in the teens during the day and single digits at night. Fortunately, I still have all my NY winter clothing! I'm looking forward to seeing a beautiful place I've never been to, but not looking forward to the cold!

thnknthin1
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Susie where do you live in Illinois? I live in Highland (about 30-40 min from St. Louis).
I can't wait for winter to be over! I can't stand the cold and being cooped up inside. I am grateful we have a treadmill but it gets so boring. I'd much rather be outside. There's so many more activities to do when the weather is nice. We did have a couple of nice days yesterday and Friday (50's & 60's) and we took full advantage of both of them and walked on a local trail 7 miles each day. It definitely helps having a day like that to get rid of the winter blues.

susiefleshner
01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Susie where do you live in Illinois? I live in Highland (about 30-40 min from St. Louis).
I can't wait for winter to be over! I can't stand the cold and being cooped up inside. I am grateful we have a treadmill but it gets so boring. I'd much rather be outside. There's so many more activities to do when the weather is nice. We did have a couple of nice days yesterday and Friday (50's & 60's) and we took full advantage of both of them and walked on a local trail 7 miles each day. It definitely helps having a day like that to get rid of the winter blues.

I'm from Effingham. We are little over 60 miles from each other.

thnknthin1
01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Well heck, you're just down 70 from me!

I'm from Effingham. We are little over 60 miles from each other.

drake3272004
01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
I haven't turned the t.v. on today but the original forecast for tomorrow was high of -30!!! So glad I don't have to work & no school!

LandonsBaby
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread- but now I'm very curious- all of you winter haters/lovers... Where do you live?

I live in Ohio and I hate, loath and despise winter. I'm sitting here right now in two pairs of pants, two pairs of socks, two long sleeve shirts, slipper boots with a space heating in the bedroom...and I'm still cold. Winter is brutal for me.

LandonsBaby
01-20-2013, 07:53 PM
I haven't turned the t.v. on today but the original forecast for tomorrow was high of -30!!! So glad I don't have to work & no school!

I don't know how people survive in those temperatures. I think I would lose my mind! :dizzy:

KittyKatFan
01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
I live in TX so I normally love the winters, but it has been very cold for the past few weeks! I'm looking forward to the morning temps getting back to the high 40's so I can run/walk/hike outside rather than having to go to the gym every day.

drake3272004
01-21-2013, 01:32 AM
We survive. Nice thing, it typically doesn't stay that cold for long. And sun dogs ARE really pretty!

ringmaster
01-21-2013, 05:58 PM
I must be an oddball.. I take full advantage of the cold and like going out for walks in it- the cold keeps me moving yet I don't get overheated. I can't handle the heat in the summer, so I get more cabin fever then.

bingefree2013
01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Winter sucks!

I have no motivation to do anything that isn't required, such as travel to work, school, and shopping for basic necessities. I cringe when someone asks me to hang out somewhere. It means leaving the house and walking out into the cold. I hate it. I just want to spend all winter in my house, under the covers, and sleep until Spring! Why is that so much to ask?

Oh yeah, and like danzigurl, I too HATE the holidays. What a mess.

Arctic Mama
01-21-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't really get cabin fever, but I do look forward to not having to scrape my car off or spending ten or fifteen minutes getting my kids suited up in full snow gear every time we have to go outside the front door. Dark and cold doesn't bother me, but it does come with inconveniences. Fortunately I am not a big outdoor exerciser these days, so that isn't of the list of things that bug me most about the seven or eight months of winter we get each year ;)

Natlyne
01-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I must be an oddball.. I take full advantage of the cold and like going out for walks in it- the cold keeps me moving yet I don't get overheated. I can't handle the heat in the summer, so I get more cabin fever then.

Fellow oddball here! :D

The humidity of summer makes me feel sick. I stay in with A/C all summer and long for beautiful fall days. Winter doesn't keep me inside, and it doesn't usually bother me, aside from the ice (dangerous for walking which I love) and extreme cold.

I live in eastern Canada, and this week is past even my tolerance for cold, mostly because you can't be outside since you could get frost bite!

irishcanary
01-22-2013, 02:56 AM
I live in Northern Ireland. The wheather has been very mild until recently and now its just cold and snowy. I hate it, because all i want to do is hibernate and stay in bed.

marigrace
01-22-2013, 05:42 AM
:coffee2:I live in the mountains about 2 hours from NYC. Its so beautiful here any time of year. In the winter I like to get up before day break, drink coffee and watch the sun rise. It is 8 degrees right now, and the high today will be about 15. Loosing weight, so I had to take in my warmest winter coat. Days are getting longer. Sun is getting stronger. Its all good.

thnknthin1
01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I actually did get out last night for a small jog, it was about 15 degrees. It's the wind I hate. If it wasn't so windy it wouldn't feel so cold. Even with the low temps I was sweating. :)

susiefleshner
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
I went for a 4 mile walk this morning. The wind chill was -8. Though it took a lot to get myself to go...it felt good to get out.

krampus
01-22-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't really get cabin fever, but I do look forward to not having to scrape my car off or spending ten or fifteen minutes getting my kids suited up in full snow gear every time we have to go outside the front door. Dark and cold doesn't bother me, but it does come with inconveniences. Fortunately I am not a big outdoor exerciser these days, so that isn't of the list of things that bug me most about the seven or eight months of winter we get each year ;)

My cousin lives in Fairbanks...the kids there get outdoor recess for any day -20 F or warmer, but they've been indoors all winter. You guys impress me - I'm a wiener who can barely handle upstate NY winters (and I've lived here basically all my life)!

I am taking a long weekend trip to Florida in 2 1/2 weeks to combat the winter blues...and spending lots of time in the gym.

Fluffypuppy
01-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Wow ArcticMomma is from Alaska, I think she has us all beat! I'm in Toronto and our winters have been a lot less snowy these past few years but this year is really cold.
-20C today!

ArcticMomma- I don't have kids but I have to dress my dogs up 4x a day. They have to wear boots cuz we are in the city and the salt gives something like a chemical burn. And they wear coats too. So we put on 10 boots, 3 coats, 2 leashes, 2 gloves, 1 hat and 1 muzzle to go out. That's what I hate most about winter.