Old 01-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default The 2013 Palace: Nurturing our royal selves

So, here we are in a fresh, new year, another stage of our journey. Let's take this chance to renew our commitment to looking after ourselves, seeing that our needs are met. We've come far. What have we learned, and how can we apply it?

Let's dedicate this year to our health and wholeness, to becoming our most integrated selves. How do intend to approach this year? Where would you like to be by year's end? The journey begins as we step into the 2013 palace. The fire is set, the kettle's on, and our rooms are all prepared. Welcome!

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for starting the new thread, Wood Nymph! I love your Emerson quote.

I have always remembered a TV commercial from my extreme youth and I have no idea who wrote it or what it advertised but the voice over said: "I am made of sunshine and fresh air and I will feel this way forever."

I DO feel that way most of the time, even now at my advanced age lol.

I like your idea about dedicating the year to looking after ourselves. If we don't, who will? If we do not love and honor ourselves, how can we expect others to do so?

If we do not meet our needs, how will we be whole to carry on?

Anyway one way I am taking care of myself this weekend is that my OFFICIAL Sunday weigh-in has been rescheduled to Monday or Tuesday as I have an elevated temperature for some stupid reason, although feeling fine.

When I feel feverish I need to be able to drink as much caloric or non caloric liquid as I crave, including this time, the protein shakes I am seeming to need.

My need is to have a nice weigh-in sometime soon but the bod is not on an even keel and I do not intend to mess with my own head if I see a vast upward number on the scale. Conversely, if I see a vast downward number, I will ascribe it to some malfunction and not be pleased with it.

So, the Sacred Ceremony o' the Golden Scale can wait for a more auspicious day.

Because the truth is it doesn't matter when a weight watching person weighs in as long as they do it fairly regularly. So what I weigh on Monday or Tuesday is very likely to be what I weigh on Sunday minus the fever and voracious craving for liquids.

To NOT drink liquids when craving them would be denying the healing wisdom of my experience and instinct.

Lol, that's it in a nutshell, royals, hello to all.

I am happy it is 2013 and that I am alive to see it.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #3  
Hot Stuff

Hello, Ladies!

In three short weeks I will be leaving on a jet plane, bound for the sunny Gulf Coast of Florida for a short get-away. Now while I realize I can't possibly drop 20 pounds by then, it is a good opportunity to focus my efforts for the next three weeks. Short-term, realistic goals are the way to go, right?

Time for a 21-Day Challenge, Arabella?

I also have been issued the challenge of packing everything into one carry-on bag only. This will take some careful planning and mixing and matching of wardrobe basics. All very doable and I am determined to succeed!

Hope all are well, and drink those fluids, Amarantha!!
Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #4  

Exclamation Biting the bullet: Day 1

So, I did it. Bit the bullet and updated my ticker. Onward! I'm lucky that I had to renew my life insurance and was weighed for my medical exam. The nurse had a WW scale that weighed me 8 pounds lighter than my home scale, with all my clothes on instead of nekkid, which makes me wonder if my home scale is wrong and the situation isn't quite as dire as I thought. Nevertheless, the home scale is the one I'll be weighing in on, so that's the weight I'll have to go with.

The lucky part? Catching it now, rather than when the situation became even worse. My capacity for self-delusion amazes me yet again. Won't go into that whole thing again, but I'd have to say that's the really clear indication that this is a psychological condition. Yes, yes, onward.

Mortified to have to admit to my weight but I know this is the place I can do it.

My plan: Eating when hungry, not o/w. More veg, less everything else. Eating only at the table when alone. 10,000 steps + yoga daily. Working on seeing my needs are met.

I've dedicated this weekend to looking after myself. I was invited to a big party last night but I knew right down to my toes that I needed to stay home and cocoon, go to bed early. So that's what I did. It was a party for a friend's 50th birthday and usually feel like I have to go to such things. I won't say I didn't agonize over it but in the end, I put my needs first. There would have been a big crowd there, so I'm not responsible for the whole thing. That's quite a revelation to me, putting my own needs first but that's what I'm going to have to do to get my life back on track.

Back from the long Sunday walk now and planning to go to yoga at 2. I'm off to make brunch -- scrambled eggs w/smoked salmon, capers, red onion and dill. Will be back later to catch up with my beloved lies.

Tally-ho!

Last edited by Arabella; 01-21-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #5  

Thumbs up So now ...

Health and wholeness, here we go!

Back from hot yoga. It was a very full class, no room to spread out and it got extremely hot and humid. Felt kinda good, though, anyway. I'm relaxed, a bit tired but was tired before I went, so that's ok.

Amarantha, I love the quote you offer too, and will remember it. Even just saying it to myself in my head makes me feel like that: "I am made of sunshine and fresh air and I will feel this way forever." Huzzah!

Wildfire, you are ON -- unofficially, this is Day 2 since I did everything according to plan yesterday. Your trip sounds fantastic! Sunshine and warmth will be so lovely.

Kaylets, stress is a biggie for me, too, and I don't even realize what I'm doing a lot of the time. But I've noticed that there seems to be a pattern with me gaining weight when my son's having difficulties. That's why we need to be so firmly committed to looking after ourselves. I'm going to dial back activities in the week ahead, myself. I need more restorative time and I'm going to make sure I get it!

WSW, I hope your new year is treating you royally, as you deserve!

Love to all Queenlies, in the Palace or wandering. Have a blissful, restorative evening.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #6  
Hot Stuff

Alrighty then, Arabella! (and anyone else who wants to start a 21 day-er!)

My focus is going to be on:

Eating breakfast (always a challenge for me!)
Drinking more water
Taking essential vitamins/supplements
Exercise every day, in addition to regular dog walking
Mindful eating
Checking in here every day to keep me honest!!

And with that I'm calling today Day 1!

Buckle up, Babes...Monday is coming in hot!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Huzzah & woot, Wildfire & Arabella! I have been struggling with CALORIE CREEPAGE lately and will join you in a 21-dayer! I am converting my Good Calorie Challenge to a 21-day one, with new parameters. This is Day 2, as I started it yesterday, stayed in the 1500s. My rule:

Eat no more than 1900 calories at the highest while striving for 1600 or less.

There are no pauses in this, I will start the count over if a nonsuccessful day occurs.

I will strive to check into this thread once a day for the count, but that is not a part of my challenge.

OKAY, FELLOW 21-DAY ROYALS! Let's do 'er!

Queen/Empress Am2 DID lose .6 at her official weigh-in, held today instead of Sunday, but will go back to Sunday next week.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-21-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #8  

Thumbs up Day 2: Here we go!

Feeling off, still, from a lingering respiratory infection left after the cold. Will work on eradicating it today, aiming to rest between pieces of work.

It is freakin' cold out there today, -20 windchill. I've got to bundle up and get out there, though. Those 10,000 steps aren't going to walk themselves. I'm going to finish my workday with a gentle yoga session. Choir practice tonight.

Met all challenges yesterday and will do so again today. Don't have to feel it, just have to do it.

Huzzah, Amarantha, on the .6 loss! No pauses here either -- what's the point, really, if you're trying to get 21 days, eh?

Wildfire, your plan looks good. Water's on mine, too, and I'm going to add in mindful eating.

I've committed to eating only at the table when alone, eating only when hungry but, really, making it mindful is so important. I think I'm addicted to distraction.

On we go, Queenlies!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

Hope the respiratory ailment has completely flown away by today, Wood Nymph, and that you got a lot of rest periods yesterday.

I am on Day 3, which in the lexicon of my 21-day challenge universe means I had successful Day 1 and successful Day 2 and am currently slogging away on number three.

I've decided to do what I rarely do online and log the exact calories, since this challenge of mine IS dedicated to calorie control above all else.

There are other things I could count having to do with calories rather than total calories, but the main factor for me in weight management has always been total calories in/estimated calories out.

There are a lot of factors as to my control of calories and my understanding of the various ways calories impact my weight and fitness and how in a biological sense the macronutrients are not created equal but why counting total calories and not carbs, not food source or whether my ancestors ate it, not points, not net carbs or net calories, etc.

I have read all the studies and relevant books based on studies. I agree there are a lot of factors. But what works for me is still that basic equation: calories in/calories out and it gets even simpler because I don't think estimates of the calories out part are always totally accurate so I focus on exercising for fitness only and for weight I count calories.

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: 1545
Day 2: 1850
Day 3: TBD
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #10  

Thumbs up Day 3

Respiratory woes continue -- I'm thinking it may be walking pneumonia, in which case the treatment would be pretty much to continue what I'm doing, so that's what I'll do. It's very cold this week, which isn't much help. And I don't feel like doing anything, although I feel very bored not doing anything but working. I did go to choir practice last night, walked there and back. Came home and did some pre-bed relaxation yoga. So, got my 10,000 steps and yoga, ate at the table, only when hungry. Day 3 it is, unofficial Day 4. The sixth day of getting 10,000 steps. Onward!

Amarantha, no need to explain! I think things get a little out of hand sometimes on the forums with people jumping in and giving their totally unsolicited opinions on other people's plans or actions. At least here in the palace, we trust in each other's judgement and intention to do what works best for ourselves.

And furthermore, since you are an icon of success, who should argue?

K, wrapping self up and taking self out for a walk. I may do yoga on my own later or may go to class but I will do it. And, in either case, I'm beginning a plan for a healing and restorative evening at home, having considered and discarded several plans for doing other things. Will have a chat with DH, who's traveling, and that will do for the social part of my evening. A light dinner, maybe a jacuzzi and early to bed with my novel. There, the plan begins.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Talking Woot!

Arabella, that is the sweetest thing anyone has said to me in a long time, that I am an icon of success! Thank you.

Hope the respiratory woes abate soon and start getting better. Sounds like you have it in hand.

I, on the other hand, do NOT have my calorie level in hand, and some stress factors slipped into my evening and there I was at 2160 ... quite full so sure that is the high and I will have no binge or anything, but Day 3 of the 21-dayer has been shot out of the water, and the clock is reset, making this Day Zero & tomorrow Day 1. Thusly ...

21-Day Challenge, 1900 Calories or Less
Day 1: TBD
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #12  
Hot Stuff

And Day 3 cometh to an end.

I realize I may not get here every single day, as I cannot log in from work and 10 or 12 of my waking hours are there, and there are nights I am still walking a dog and doing dishes at midnight...but I will check in as regularly as I can.

The deep freeze continues here, and Dog and I say "BAH!" unto it. I got a terrible chill coming home from the hair salon (after spending two hours there because a new trainee was being taught with me as her subject). I was there so long I had to clean snow off my truck again, and with a windchill of -28C and being dressed for running from truck to office in dress pants and patent leather unlined dress boots...well, I was a frosty icicle by the time I got home. Still, played with Dog and did yoga and abs tonight, then crawled under a pile of blankets. My feet are still frozen, but my hair looks great.

Amarantha, you do what works for you! If it is counting calories, then count away! And I second the opinion that you are an icon of success. I am often in awe of your determination and outlook.

Arabella, this flu season is the worst in all corners of the realm. Walking pneumonia is not good, please take it easy and look after yourself!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #13  

Default Day 4

So brilliant and sunny out there but -31 windchill. I'm going to wrap myself up and walk around the harbour any old way. This is not unusual winter weather here. We usually have a stretch like this in January or February.

Yoga was minimal yesterday but I did do some. However, I found myself lying awake and anxious last night and I do believe I need a full yoga session every day, so that's what my intention is now. I'm planning to go to hot yoga at 2.

Tonight's my writing group meeting and I'd been thinking of staying home but feel I need the social event so will attend after all.

Yay for the great hair, Wildfire! I hope you were able to sleep -- I have a lot of trouble dropping off if I'm chilly.

Amarantha, it seems so obvious to us that you're an icon of success! Look at what you've accomplished.

K, Lovelies, I must do some work and then slip out for my walk in the sunshine.

Let's make this a good one!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for the kind & supportive comments, Wildfire & Arabella. I only wish it were not so cold where my 21-day challenge queenly comrades are at this moment, the walking pneumonia, low temps off the harbor and snow on the car after being overlong at the hairdressers just sounds cold and though art both stalwart to weather this.

Hate to say it but it is quite warm here, not sure of the temp, 70s, I guess, but feels warm. I am in waiting mode to hear something that may occur favorable to me in the weeks ahead so all I've done today is go grocery shopping, take walks and hang around. Still working on steps and slogging through Day 1 of my calorie challenge, looking good for success on that.

Woot!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #15  
Hot Stuff

Default Day 4

Breakfast - check.
Various vitamins and minerals - check.
Buckets of water - check.
Exercise - check.
Mindful eating - check.

It was a balmy 0 Fahrenheit here this morning. Yeah, we get these cold snaps every year but they just aren't fun! It warmed up slightly today and the wind wasn't so strong so I took Dog for a short walk when I came in from the gym.

The gym was so crowded today. People were waiting to use equipment and it's not just the New Year crowd. Another location is closing and the one I go to is the closest alternative, so we are getting people who were displaced. Problem is, our location is a small gym, already overcrowded with equipment, and now more people. *sigh* My workout partner and I are going to check out a women's gym nearby on Friday. It is more expensive but we are just not comfortable with our current location. The women's gym has exercise classes (which I don't typically favor) and fancy change rooms, etc., (which I don't care about). But if it is a better environment, it might be worth the switch.

Amarantha, enjoy the warmth for us! Oh, I hate waiting around for someone or something all day long, not being able to go and do! I hope you got good news and it was all worth it!

Arabella, German Shepherds give off a lot of heat and mine is a very snuggly one. I was quite toasty! Hope you enjoyed your sunny but chilly walk! Days are slowly getting longer and the light is beginning to change. There is hope for Spring!