100 lb. Club - I feel like im not getting ANYWHERE with my weightloss...please help!

nichole87
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi all! So I am currently 270 lbs...and I have made a vow to myself that this is the year to get my health back. I am 25 yrs old and I hve a beautiful little boy, who is almost 7. Luck has not been on my side, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2006 and was cancer free by 2008, in 2011 I was diagnosed with endometriosis, a chronic condition that required surgery, with the surgery being unsuccessful, I am now on hormone injectioins and preparing for a full hysterectomy in march. Doctors tell me that these problems could have been avoided if only I took better care of my health...so here I am...25, and 270lbs...problems is I feel discouraged, I eat approx 1000 cals a day of pure nutrition, and I do biggest loser workouts daily...but I feel like I'm not getting anywhere, I have become obsessed with weighing myself, I feel guilty for everything i eat, even thokugh its next to nothing and I'm always starving...for those of you who have lost 100+ pounds...I applaud you...your willpower to move on and stay motivated is just amazing...how did you do it? How many calories did you eat? I need as much information as possible because this is all new to me. 3fc is my only form of support as I have no friends or famiy to encourage me....sorry for the novel...and thnks so much for viewing my thread:smug:

lunarsongbird
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi Nichole,

Be patient and kind to yourself. Hormone imbalances will really really slow weight loss- if not stop it entirely. I gained 70 pounds after having hormone problems (ones that didn't come up in testing, mind you).

Get to know your body. Start researching overall wellness- check out "The Skinny on Obesity"- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39F782316B425249
And the Weston Price Foundation- http://www.westonaprice.org/basics/dietary-guidelines

If you haven't already- start eating clean and eliminate processed foods out of your diet. "Food-like" substances can't be good for anyone. I for one am tired of eating fake food.

I would focus on wellness and try not to compare yourself to other people. I would also recommend focusing on exercises that you find to be particularly nourishing- swimming, yoga, pilates, walking ect.

ETA: You might also want to get rid of your scale until after your hormones balance after surgery. Ask your doctor how long that might take. I would try not to worry about weight loss until then.

You might also want to look into the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) lifestyle. I've heard it really helps with hormones- http://gapsdiet.com/

nichole87
01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks so much for your repky lunar, problem is, I have to lose as much weigt as possible before my surgery, my doctor would like to see a 50 lbs weightloss by march...and I just don't belive that is possible...but I need to kickstart now, I will definitely take your advice about processed foods, thanks so much!:)

LockItUp
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm going to give it to you straight, 1000 calories, especially with your stats, is WAY too little. NO wonder you're starving. Good lord I would starving at 1000 calories! You could EASILY eat 1500 a day, still be in a huge deficit, and not be as hungry! You could even eat probably upwards of 1800-2000 and still be just fine.

You can't be starving all the time! Plain and simple. You are doing great, but I know you want long term weight loss!!! To get that you have to eat enough to sustain yourself!

Big hugs! I'm very sorry to hear about all of the turmoil you've been through!

Angihas2
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm going to give it to you straight, 1000 calories, especially with your stats, is WAY too little. NO wonder you're starving. Good lord I would starving at 1000 calories! You could EASILY eat 1500 a day, still be in a huge deficit, and not be as hungry! You could even eat probably upwards of 1800-2000 and still be just fine.

You can't be starving all the time! Plain and simple. You are doing great, but I know you want long term weight loss!!! To get that you have to eat enough to sustain yourself!

Big hugs! I'm very sorry to hear about all of the turmoil you've been through!

this! I eat between 1400-1800 and am losing steadily. If you haven't yet, open a fitday.com or loseit.com account and start tracking calories. You can also input current weight, how much you want to lose and by how much per week, up to 2 lbs., it does the math for you.

There's a dieting with obstacles board, you may want to check it out. Those ladies are likely to be more versed in your particular obstacles. Good luck, you CAN do this, you CAN be healthy!!

bargoo
01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
nichole, your doctors suggestion to lose 50 pounds by March is totally unreasonable.

HadEnough
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Many more people that are way smarter than me will weigh in, but I do know this.... 1000 Calories is ridiculously low. If I ate only 1000 calories per day, I would kill someone. You should be more in the 1800 calorie range, but definitely not lower than 1200 EVER.

April Snow
01-18-2013, 01:01 PM
1000 cals a day of pure nutrition

What is that - do you mean nutritious foods or is that some type of supplement?

I agree that 50 lbs by March is unrealistic.

1000 calories is very low, but I will admit that doing a low fat and very low carb plan, I'm probably averaging that. The big difference is that I don't have to be hungry - I can eat as much as I want as long as it's on plan foods. But in reality, low carb has a pretty strong appetite suppressing effect, so even when I'm eating whenever I'm hungry, I am on the low side.

nichole87
01-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Wow, tjhanks all so much for he great replies...my doctor told me that to lose 50 by march (starting jan1st) that I would have to eat 800 calories per day...I did that for 1 week and became very irritable so I upped it to 1000...I guess silly me for not looking more in to that and trusting my doctor...should I immediately up my calories or slowely add calories each day? This weighloss thing is emotionally draining...but I refuse to back down...1500-1800 would make me a much happier girl:)

nichole87
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
What is that - do you mean nutritious foods or is that some type of supplement?

I agree that 50 lbs by March is unrealistic.

1000 calories is very low, but I will admit that doing a low fat and very low carb plan, I'm probably averaging that. The big difference is that I don't have to be hungry - I can eat as much as I want as long as it's on plan foods. But in reality, low carb has a pretty strong appetite suppressing effect, so even when I'm eating whenever I'm hungry, I am on the low side.

Sorry I meant just pure nutrition, as in no junk or processed foods.

chubbiegurl
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
U beat cancers butt, so u can beat weights butt too! I hope everything works out for you. Live is handing u some challenges for sure! Just stay positive! I woukd say that 1000 calories is too low though, especially if u are working out. I can be obsessive about the scale and eating certain things too, wish I knew how to control that but I fear if I don't behave that way I will lose focus. I guess try and remember that u didn't gain over night di it won't come off over night, be patient and kind to yourself. Good luck and hope your surgery goes well.

deadkittens
01-18-2013, 01:16 PM
most people here use myfitnesspal it helps set a calorie goal for you and you can track what youve eaten. 1000cals is way to little. i would go with the 1500 another posted recommended or by what myfitnesspal sets for you.

free1
01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
If agree with everyone....50 pounds by March is unreasonable!!!!!!!

HUGS to you....I started heavier than where you are now and am now over 100+ down. I know how daunting the big numbers can be...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I'm not talking a out 50 pounds in less than 60-days. You can and will successfully lose at a healthy pace....Cheering you on :)

April Snow
01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
I think you can up your calories a little bit but I would focus on lean protein, no/low fat dairy and veggies, with a limited amount of whole grains and fruit. That is a bit more extreme than necessary or comfortable for the long term, but I think it would help you get off as much as you can prior to surgery. Then after that, you can work out a plan that is better for longer term weight loss.

Angihas2
01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, many docs aren't well versed in nutrition. They took the same nutrition course I did as an undergrad. Ask either for a referral to nutritionist or dietician. 50 pounds in 59 days is entirely unrealistic. You could possibly also make an appointment with your local health department, the one here has a nutritionist with a PhD on STAFF and she works in our town once a week. She's honestly amazing. Depending on your health care coverage and income the sliding fee may be little to none, you could also email around to the local colleges, see if they have someone teaching their nutrition courses and what their credentials are. If you're not opposed to being an unnamed project for a paper they may be trying to have published, they may work with you for free.

I give those suggestions because health is LONG TERM. You've already had to battle reproductive cancer and now, at your young age you're being slated for a hysterectomy. From my own observations of seeing the women in my life have those uteruses and occasionally ovaries removed as well, they've ALL put on weight due to hormone inbalances as they juggled finding the right HRT for them. Why not have good habits in effect before surgery and HRT (if that's what you're doing), to make the after surgery time period more managable.

I really DO believe anyone can be healthy, they can lose weight, they can be kind to their hearts and souls and change their overall health outlook for the better.

ETA: I wanted to suggest you not look at the 50, 75, or 100 pound number as one huge thing. Break it down mentally. Anyone can lose 5 lbs 20 times, or 10 pounds 10 times. Find that incremental number that works for YOUR mental health, and set your goal there.

lunarsongbird
01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
I ditto the 50 pounds being way unreasonable. If that was his intention- he should have you on a very closely doctor monitored nutrition plan, that would probably include checking in at least three times a week.

You could do some research on ketosis, but it's definitely not something you'd want to look at doing long term. (April's plan would probably kick you into ketosis after 5 days or so, but requires no cheating- or you bump yourself out of fat burning phase and it takes 3 days to get back in.)

zoesmom
01-18-2013, 01:49 PM
My two cents is, if your doctor wants you to be on a 800-1000 calorie diet, he needs to recommend you to a nutritionist who specializes in low cal diets so your stats can be monitored and who can set up a diet plan that will work for you, not against you. 800-1000 calories should only be attempted under strict doctor observation, you can deplete too many essential vitamin and minerals from your body and end up gaining weight instead of losing it.

I currently am on a 1000-1200 calorie diet, granted it is the pre-packaged stuff, and have to see my nutritionist once a week to monitor things like blood pressure, heart rate, O2 sats, and weigh ins. Once a month, I get blood work. I am not going to a weight loss clinic, although, I guess you could say it is more or less the same...but I am going to a nutritionist that is within my doctor's clinic. She has, on two different occasions adjusted how many calories, carbs, fat, protein, and such I am allowed to obtain in a day.

Simply put, if your doctor isn't going to have you monitored or provide you the tools to do this safely, don't do it. 1200-1500 would be a much safer number.
Also, watch your carbs. Sometimes, you can be right on key with your calories but be eating too many carbs for your metabolism which will net you a wash when it comes to weightloss. Depending on your particular body mechanics, there can be a huge range on what will actually work for you.

This calculator (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm) may be of use to you (sorry moderators if I shouldn't have posted this...I looked for one on 3FatChicks first per your policy, but I totally couldn't find one and this is the one I was directed to a while back by my doctor.)

In short, I think your doctor has a very unreasonable expectation if he doesn't provide you the tools to obtain his goal. 50 pounds isn't a lot to ask for, but it IS a lot to ask for in the span of 1-1/2 to 3 months, even under strict monitoring.

Do what is safe for you, and remember, frequent SMALL meals are more filling than few large meals.

betsy2013
01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
There have been several comments about your doctor's advice. In addition to the losing 50 pounds by March, his comments that your cervical cancer and endometriosis could have been avoided if you'd taken care of yourself are both cruel and probably untrue. Before you have this doctor operate on you, my recommendation would be to get a second opinion. I realize that with insurance policies today that is sometimes difficult, but you have a lot going on and you need to have complete faith in your doctor that he/she has only your best interests at heart. I realize I may be out of line with this, and offer it only because I've had situations where I haven't felt comfortable with what a doctor (this will sound prejudice, but they've always been male doctors -- maybe just my karma) and I sought a second opinion. I didn't say negative things about the first doctor, just stated that I was uncomfortable with the direction I had been given and wanted a second opinion. Any reputable doctor is more than happy to have you get a second opinion. Hope your situation improves immensely. You are dealing with a lot right now just with your health and the stress of the dieting is a lot to add to the equation.

nichole87
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Thankyou ALL so much for taking the time out of your day to respond to my thread. I haven't quite figured out how to quote each persons comments but as to the commens that my doctor has made, I did tell her that it was unrealistic to lose 50 pounds in 3 months, however, I am doing my best to shed some weight before my surgery, because my recovery will be quicker and less painful if I have less weight to bare. I have taken the advice of everyone and upped my calorie intake to 1500. This is really going to make my tummy happy:) also, you all have encouraged me sooo much. I am pushing on ppl! And I will make a new thread updating my progress in the near future. As for a second opinion, I am going o meet my surgeon next Thursday and I have taken notes from eachand very reply....thanks again!!!!

elvislover324
01-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi Nichole, I am so sorry to read your post today and I'm so sad for you.

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer over the summer (at 36) and am scheduled to have another D&C soon and then, depending on the results, either trying to hopefully get pregnant real quick or will be scheduling my hysterectomy.

My cancer was found by mistake, I had no symptoms except irregular periods. When I didn't get pregnant, my ob/gyn did test after test and then the cancer was found. I too was told it was my environment (as in my weight) that likely led to my cancer as there is no history in my family. WHO KNEW being heavy could contribute to cancer?? I guess my estrogen from my fat cells feeds the cancer (gross I know). Apparently there is no way to know which women will develop cancer (as not all heavy women do and you don't have to be heavy to get endometrial cancer).

If I hadn't been trying for my first baby, who knows when I would have been diagnosed. Scared me so much to hear the "C" word as I am sure you understand too. I thought I was going to pass out; my appointment was supposed to be a simple follow-up, not a life-changer! I thought she was going to tell me to wait a month and start trying, instead I left her office with referrals for gyno-oncologists to do a hysterectomy.

The best thing my oncologist did was refer me to a medically supervised diet program. I lost about 7 lbs on my own (throwing up from anxiety after my diagnosis), all of my other weightloss has been on my supervised program and it's literally saving my life. The weightloss is cutting down on the fat feeding my cancer cells plus it's going to protect me from hopefully not developing breast cancer in the future.

The thought of being in menopause in the next month or so is surreal to me. I will lose everything in the hysterectomy including my ovaries and tubes so I can't even try to save my eggs for a surrogate someday (it takes too much estrogen to get the eggs and it would be like feeding the fire to inject me with estrogen as my cancer feeds off it). If I am lucky enough to get pregnant (please pray I do!!), I will be having a hysterectomy at the time of birth.

Sorry to go on and on, it's a lot of information. The most important thing for you to do now is to find a nutrition program to help you.

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. *hugs*

sassyangies
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Yep I'm going to say exactly what everyone else has said. 1000 calories is way too low. If your not losing weight your body might be in starvation mode because the calories are too low. I would not up it slowly I would up it to 1500 calories today and still make it nutritious food. My fitnesspal is awesome! I love it and probably would not have lost weight without it and this lovely site as well. Even if you don't have an android you can still do it online.
Good luck to you hun. I hope to be seeing you around more!!

Lyn2007
01-19-2013, 07:16 PM
When I started at 278 pounds, I was eating about 1800 calories a day. I focused on NO junk, but plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats, eggs, that kind of thing. I also just walked as much as I could each day, which was not much at first but worked up to a couple of miles. Eventually I had to cut back (gradually) as I lost weight, to 1600, 1500, 1400 calories.

I am now eating 1000ish a day BUT that is not something I would ever try on my own. I think eating that low cal needs to have a doctor's monitoring and high enough protein to spare muscles. There are programs that will do this, but I'd ask the doctor if that is something you want to try. I bet you can do it on 1800 calories a day, though. Try it for a few weeks and see!

KimL1214
01-19-2013, 08:39 PM
this! I eat between 1400-1800 and am losing steadily. If you haven't yet, open a fitday.com or loseit.com account and start tracking calories. You can also input current weight, how much you want to lose and by how much per week, up to 2 lbs., it does the math for you.

There's a dieting with obstacles board, you may want to check it out. Those ladies are likely to be more versed in your particular obstacles. Good luck, you CAN do this, you CAN be healthy!!

nichole87~ Angihas has given some great advice! I use the Lose It! ap on my phone and have seen some pretty decent success... I'm the same weight as you and the lose it ap calls for roughly 1800 calories for me to lose 2 lbs./week, so you may want to re-think your calories. If your body thinks you're starving it, it will hold on to everything you eat making it harder for you to lose weight. I'm currently on hormone treatments for Menorrhagia which was a result of my round with Cervical Cancer (I was first diagnosed at 25, beat it... then again at 28... I beat it again...) last spring. Even with the treatments, I've still had my lovely monthly for the past six months straight. It sucks, but I know it won't stop until I lose the weight! You can do this, don't give up and keep pushing yourself!

nichole87
01-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Elvislover~im so sorry to hear about what you're going through:( I will absolutely pray that you become pregnant, if you ever need an ear or shoulder...I would be more than happy to listen...stay strong girl!!!

UPDATE- I have uped my calories to 1500, and wow! What a difference! I feel great! I am really starting to believe I can do this!!!

Misti in Seattle
01-20-2013, 06:17 AM
So glad to hear that you have upped your calories! 1000 is way too low and I agree that losing 50 pounds by March is totally unrealistic. My doctor has advised me to NEVER go below 1300 calories minimum, and I eat more than that, but it is mostly whole, organic, non-processed foods.

Go for it!

April Snow
01-20-2013, 09:59 AM
UPDATE- I have uped my calories to 1500, and wow! What a difference! I feel great! I am really starting to believe I can do this!!!

Great news Nichole!! It's so much easier to stick with it when you feel good. Not that it's easy, of course, but much easier than when you are constantly hungry and tired.

elvislover324
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Elvislover~im so sorry to hear about what you're going through:( I will absolutely pray that you become pregnant, if you ever need an ear or shoulder...I would be more than happy to listen...stay strong girl!!!

Thank you Nichole, your prayers are most appreciated! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers too. It's hard enough to go through the weightloss journey nevermind everything else on our plate. I'm glad we have each other to lean on. I didn't mean to take over your thread with such long comments, I just wanted you to know you weren't alone in this.

So glad you are feeling better! And you CAN do this! We are here for you! :hug:

Veneficae
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
With a starting weight of 270, I don't think a loss of 25 pounds a month is impossible or even unhealthy... I started WW at 290 less than a month ago, I'm now at 268.5 which is pretty close to 25 pounds and I'm not even a full month in. Let me tell you though, I eat way more than 1000 cals a day! I started at 41 points which is probably around 1500 to 1600 calories. I'm down to 39 points now. My calorie count might be lower because I eat tons of protein which adds many points with comparatively low calories.

I wish I had more knowledge about how to overcome the hormonal issues. I'm one year and ten days passed surgery for ovarian cancer, but I had no lasting effects from having one removed.

I'm a little mad at your doctor telling you "none of this would have happened if you weren't overweight". That's complete BS. Thin people have health problems too. Maybe yours were exacerbated by extra pounds, but the focus need to be on improving your health for the future, not berating you for days gone by.

Hang in there... Even the most stubborn of pounds can't cling to your body forever if you are truly sticking to a healthy plan. Find what food works for you, find your plan, stick to it. Plan, plan, plan!