Ideal Protein Diet - IP Food please help me!

View Full Version : IP Food please help me!

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you for reading my post! I am in my first week of IP and having great results! :carrot: I am very happy with how things are going BUT I am having an extremely hard time stomaching the soups! I have added my vegetables, seasonings, etc. So I am going to start just use the drink mixes for lunch with my vegetables. I am so tired of wasting money on this food and not being able to eat it! I know we all have different tastes but I was wondering is the Orange drink mix any good? I love the chocolate drink, the oatmeal, and the crispy ceral! I hate the chicken patty, all of the soups but mushroom! Is there any you would suggest I try? I'm not ready to give up but I just can't waste anymore money! I'm a single mom and don't have extra money like that someone please help!

ragdoll74
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you for reading my post! I am in my first week of IP and having great results! :carrot: I am very happy with how things are going BUT I am having an extremely hard time stomaching the soups! I have added my vegetables, seasonings, etc. So I am going to start just use the drink mixes for lunch with my vegetables. I am so tired of wasting money on this food and not being able to eat it! I know we all have different tastes but I was wondering is the Orange drink mix any good? I love the chocolate drink, the oatmeal, and the crispy ceral! I hate the chicken patty, all of the soups but mushroom! Is there any you would suggest I try? I'm not ready to give up but I just can't waste anymore money! I'm a single mom and don't have extra money like that someone please help!

If you don't like the soups, then don't eat them. I didn't care for them either, so I didn't buy any more of them.

Taste varies from person to person, so check with your coach to see if she has samples of the things you want to try.

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm buying online and don't have a coach I'm doing it on my own so I have to buy the whole box! Thanks for your input though!

Bellamack
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi, I didn't care for the soups, however I made them with less water and poured over steamed broccoli and lots of garlic powder to use them up.

Everyones taste are different. I really liked the following: dill zippers, wildberry yogurt, apple cinnamon puffs, chocolate puffs, chocolate drink, cappacino & omlets (all jazzed up with veggies)

IdealProteinNewbie
01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm not a fan of the soups either, but I do like the Broccoli and Cheese mixed with less water, made into a "Cheese Dip" which I dunk my broccoli into.

benice
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I bet you're looking for non-restricteds, right? You've named my favs--chocolate drink, crispy cereal. I also like the RTD mango and strawberry banana. I'm ok with the soups (only the broccoli and chicken noodle) but I don't love them. For me, putting in a veggie puree makes them unpalatable.

I also buy all online. I have a ton of stuff I can't stand that I'm considering trading. There's a trading link. You should check it out for unloading the stuff you don't like.

P.S. I tried the pinapple drink and it is super sour and chalky tasting. Also, I find that all of the puddings taste like chalk.

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the ideas!

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
I bet you're looking for non-restricteds, right? You've named my favs--chocolate drink, crispy cereal. I also like the RTD mango and strawberry banana. I'm ok with the soups (only the broccoli and chicken noodle) but I don't love them. For me, putting in a veggie puree makes them unpalatable.

I also buy all online. I have a ton of stuff I can't stand that I'm considering trading. There's a trading link. You should check it out for unloading the stuff you don't like.

P.S. I tried the pinapple drink and it is super sour and chalky tasting. Also, I find that all of the puddings taste like chalk.

Thank you so much! Yes I'm looking for non-restictedes! I can't stand the puddings either! ugh oh well lol I still wanna stay on the program though! :) Can you tell me the trading link?

benice
01-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Just bumped it for you! :)

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks so much! you've made my day!

kileymed13
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't care for the soups either. I pretty much stick with the chocolate drink, cappucino drink and the occasional cereal for my unrestricteds. I do use about half alternatives and that has allowed me to try some new unrestricteds. Some brands have oatmeal and chili that is not a restricted.

It took me a while to figure out I don't like too much but I am ok with it now. I was afraid I would not like it because of the lack of variety but 14 weeks later I am still not bothered my it.

Good luck!!

lisa32989
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I use a lot of recipes or packet hacks to make things palatable. I don't think I'd EVER like the soups alone but with a veggie puree, it makes a big change in taste.
Same with puddings.
If we're looking for exactly like non-IP pudding, it's not gonna happen.
I make my dark chocolate pudding into a smoothie. I also like to freeze them and make them like "soft serve"
The orange drink tastes like Tang.

Sammie12
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
The orange drink is actually not that bad. I am a fan of the choc, vanilla drink & the straw/ban premade drink. I also can not eat the soups so I dont buy them. I do like the chicken patty its great crumbled up on a salad. Love the jello. Not a fan of the puddings but the one from Nashua Nutrition the cheesecake one is actually not that bad.

PamC
01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
The orange drink is ok, but it's not very filling. Same with the cranberry blueberry drink, but I like to have that one because of the collagen.

The chocolate chip cookie is good, it's like a cross between a muffin and cookie, surprisingly filling and good if you're craving something sweet.

The chocolate and lemon puddings aren't bad if you mix them really well and then let them chill up and get thicker in the freezer.

The spaghetti was better than expected.

I'm not crazy about most of the bars, except for the double-chocolate. The dill pickle zippers are good.

chershi
01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I love mixing either the chocolate or cappuccino shake with coffee for my breakfast. Both are delish. Also like the cereal. Am going to try the Rotini and am hooked on the choc chip cookie and Choc raspberry bars. Both of those are restricted though but really good.

karcher
01-17-2013, 01:58 PM
The fine herbs and cheese omelete is pretty good. Add seasonings and frozen spinach. Top with veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli).

The potato puree is good if you make it into a potato pancake with grated zucchini or into a crepe and use it to wrap veggies. I think it is horrible as a puree though.

I agree with the comment about putting purees in the soups making them inedible (I was gagging trying to eat it one day and only hot 1/2 way through!)

The chocolate drink mix has 9g of carbs (boarderline). Pure protein makes a comparable drink powder, chocolate frosty, which only has 3g per scoop. It's great if you make it the night before and put in the fridge!

The pina colada drink mix was surprisingly good! Nice frozen too :)

Hope this helps!!! If you decide to get a few restricted items the caramel nut bar is good and the apple cinnamon puffs. I have some cookies coming in the mail but I've heard they are great.

Not sure where you buy your stuff from but www.plainprotein.com sells genuine items $1 cheaper per box that idealtogo and free shipping within the US.

ablever
01-17-2013, 02:00 PM
I have also found that my taste and preferences while on IP have varied...maybe as my taste buds are awakening and sharpening. In weeks past, I've loved some packets but then grew out of love with them, then went back to them. I've also had some that I didn't like but then would have another later on just to get rid of them and was pleasantly surprised at how much more I liked it.

As for veggies, prior to IP, I never enjoyed bell peppers and now I bring a red pepper with me every now and then to eat like an apple. I just bite into it and enjoy :) I don't think I would have ever given roasted veggies, rutabagas and rhubarb a chance if I never did IP but now I love them.

So you may want to give the soups another try or use them in recipes and packet hacks as have been suggested. I hear you on the not wanting to waste any more money...I'm right there with you. Fortunately, there are recipes, ideas and trades you can make. This site is awesome!

amberjules
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't really care for much of the soups either except for Chicken Noodle which I can eat by itself, the mushroom soup, and brocolli cheese.

For the brocolli cheese, I sautee celery and then add that with chopped brocolli and then pour the IP brocolli cheese over it.

For the mushroom soup, I sautee celery and baby portabella mushrooms, garlic and then pour the IP mushroom soup over that and sprinkle with green onions. So very tasty. Here's my recipe for the mushroom soup: http://www.lamberjules.com/body/clean-eating-2/ideal-protein-mushroom-soup-recipe-tastes-like-gourmet/

My favorite drink is the cranberry and pomegrante drink. Very tasty.

You can search for recipes on here as well where people have made flat breads out of the soup as well. I did that with the tomato basil soup (yuck), but in a flat bread it's good. Then I mixed up salad with WP ranch dressing and some other veggies to make a veggie wrap with the tomato basil flat bread.

2Poles1Girl
01-17-2013, 02:54 PM
The soups...bleck! You need to doctor them up. Check the recipe threads for ideas.

My tastes have changed over time. When I started, I liked wild berry yogurt, now I gag down the remainder packets. I still like the capp drink, the jello, the vanilla pudding can be used a variety of ways (last night I had a vanilla pudding, ice, splash of orange MIO...blend it up for a creamcicle).

Until you get your head wrapped around this and find recipes that work for you, just keep thinking "It's ONLY one meal". It got me through a few really rough moments. Hang in there. It's worth it.

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Thank you all so much for your input I really appreciate it! :)

Liddybean
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I only used the soups as gravy - like in chicken pot pie with cauliflower mash. You can eat regular chicken broth and put your veggies in that.

since you like the cereal so much - have you turned it into pancakes, waffles or pizza crust yet?

pocahontas812
01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
The soups are pretty nasty, as well as the omelets. My IP go-tos are the wildberry yogurt drink and RTD chocolate. I pack a big lunch bag with a week's worth of IP foods that I bring into work each Monday. Lunch is usually a big salad from the cafe, followed by the chocolate drink.

I've started to use some alternative products, which you might want to consider since you're ordering all your food online anyway. On the weekends, I make a pudding mix into a shake (weight loss systems chocolate chip w/marshmallow pudding mix, 1C water, 1C ice, and 1C spinach) for breakfast. I also like the proti-thin cream of vegetable soup; so much better than the IP soups. You can get the alt products from nashuanutrition.com

maezy1
01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
I mix the orange drink with the vanilla drink mix and have half one day and half the other. it taste really good to me.
I have a lot of alternative products that I like and use to save $$

65X65
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Interestingly...I noticed if I mix drinks, soups and pudding and let it sit a while...it tastes better. I'm stuck with what i can have because I have a gluten sensitivity so i am already down more than a few products on what I can actually use on this diet. Hope I don't get too bored. The soups are actually my favorite...but I discovered the potato puree makes an great soup base. I added some chopped small mushrooms sauteed with water and garlic powder. Will try it with spinach or zuchinni cooked same way next time.

Finding the evening snack hard to get down. We eat a late dinner and usually I've just cleaned up the kitchen and its already after 8....anyone else have that late snack right on top of dinner?

pocahontas812
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Interestingly...I noticed if I mix drinks, soups and pudding and let it sit a while...it tastes better. I'm stuck with what i can have because I have a gluten sensitivity so i am already down more than a few products on what I can actually use on this diet. Hope I don't get too bored. The soups are actually my favorite...but I discovered the potato puree makes an great soup base. I added some chopped small mushrooms sauteed with water and garlic powder. Will try it with spinach or zuchinni cooked same way next time.

Finding the evening snack hard to get down. We eat a late dinner and usually I've just cleaned up the kitchen and its already after 8....anyone else have that late snack right on top of dinner?

You can have your snack either before or after dinner. If you are a late dinner eater, try having your snack around 4 or 5 pm.

SassyGirl424
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
It's so funny to read the responses, and realize how different our tastes are!

Chocolate chip cookie: couldn't stand it; in fact, didn't finish it. Dry with an odd texture to me.

Omelet (herb & cheese): Choked that down. BUT... I'm not an omelet girl anyway, so maybe that's not surprising.

Orange drink: agree with Tang description. Someone said they added Mio flavoring to it to give it some zip. I tried it plain, finished it, but took it off my "go-to" list.

Strawberry/banana RTD: really had high hopes for this one, but it was just "okay". Maybe would have been better mixed with vanilla drink powder to give it more of a smoothie taste?

I used the recipe to make chocolate pudding into "bark" and that's okay, except it tends to melt in my hands as I'm eating it, so it's a messy snack.

I LOVE the Strawberry Wafers...restricted, but boy, are they good.

I thought the potato puree was okay, but it only makes a tiny bit.

It's too bad you have to buy by the box -- I guess that's one benefit of going to a coach, you can buy just one packet to try things.

Honestly, at $4/packet, I couldn't bring myself to try a lot of the foods because if I didn't like them, I either suffered through them or threw them out. So, I quickly reduced my purchases to the chocolate drink mix and my restricted snack item (limited to just a couple of them, too!).

Good luck! You'll figure out what works best for you and develop your own food plan that's manageable.

NinjaNurse
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
I LOVE (my fave breakfast) is the choco drink with my coffee. I sometimes add a hint of cinnamon and cayenne for Mexican choco.

I also like the orange drink.

I am going off the soups now. However, I do love the chicken noodle with pureed cauliflower.

I make the mushroom and broccoli soups thicker (less water) and add sauteed mushrooms, broccoli accordingly. I also love things spicy so I add all sorts of flavors.

I really enjoyed the breadsticks made with broccoli soup. I have searched for the recipe and can't find it.

I have been buying the drinks more than the soups. The only drink I didn't like was the tea and I haven't tried the banana one because I only like real bananas and banana yogurt makes me burp so I figure the drink will too.:dizzy:

4Mom
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
I like a few of the soups - Broccoli & cheese, Mushroom and the Chicken.

I didn't care for the puddings or the cereal, so I make them into muffins they go GREAT with my coffee in the mornings.

I make the Herb & Cheese omelet into scrambled eggs with hot sauce, it's not bad.

My favorite is the Southwestern Cheese curls YUM. Think I will eat these even when I reach goal.

Glover girl
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi there Kaylae, it's my first week too. I am finding the things I like most for the drinks are the chocolate and cappuccino. I thought the orange had a weird aftertaste. I do like the piña colada though. I have been experimenting with soup enhancement. If you add an extra cup of water and a teaspoon of chicken soup base along with any left over cooked veggies it really helps. I have also added puréed cauliflower (usually left over) and that adds a great creaminess.good luck!

KristenM
01-17-2013, 08:05 PM
I had a hard time at first too, I did not think I could do it either. I don't have a lot of money but have you tried the chicken noodle soup...I really like that one. Also, there is new rotinni noodles that are awesome! I add spices to them and they tast just like real noodles! I love the chocolate drink alot but add extra water so its not so thick. Also, if you like lates I use the vanilla drink as my milk and add espresso shots and sugar free flavor! I hope this helps!

leannekarella
01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm not ready to give up but I just can't waste anymore money! I'm a single mom and don't have extra money like that someone please help!

I totally understand how you feel!

The only pudding I really enjoy is the Dark Chocolate (not the regular, has to be the dark). I am only 3 weeks in, but I've tried a lot of the drinks. The key, I found, is to mix them up an hour ahead of time, if you can, and put them in the freezer to make a slushy type. They are good then. It seems the colder they are the better tasting, for some weird reason.

I really enjoy the Chicken Ala King, and the Chicken Noodle, For both items add 1 cup fat free chicken broth (store bought or made at home) and some good veggies (mushrooms, celery...chicken soup veggies) and then once the veggies are cooked in the broth, I mix up the soup with cold water, add it and just bring it up to below a boil. I actually enjoy that one.

The Berry Yogurt drink is a little thicker (feels heartier) and it's super good super cold, almost frozen.

I'm on a different eating plan than most because of diabetes, so I don't eat any restricted foods, and I've found that it's easier to just eat a lot of salads and use the drink mixes. The ready to drink...chocolate, strawberry/banana and mango are all fabulous, in my opinion.

LizJazz
01-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Is it cheaper to order online from ideal protein?

LizJazz
01-17-2013, 11:16 PM
I just started and all my coach did was measure me and hand me some papers to read. I was kind of disappointed. I am paying $4.10 for most foods from my coach.

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:35 PM
I totally understand how you feel!

The only pudding I really enjoy is the Dark Chocolate (not the regular, has to be the dark). I am only 3 weeks in, but I've tried a lot of the drinks. The key, I found, is to mix them up an hour ahead of time, if you can, and put them in the freezer to make a slushy type. They are good then. It seems the colder they are the better tasting, for some weird reason.

I really enjoy the Chicken Ala King, and the Chicken Noodle, For both items add 1 cup fat free chicken broth (store bought or made at home) and some good veggies (mushrooms, celery...chicken soup veggies) and then once the veggies are cooked in the broth, I mix up the soup with cold water, add it and just bring it up to below a boil. I actually enjoy that one.

The Berry Yogurt drink is a little thicker (feels heartier) and it's super good super cold, almost frozen.

I'm on a different eating plan than most because of diabetes, so I don't eat any restricted foods, and I've found that it's easier to just eat a lot of salads and use the drink mixes. The ready to drink...chocolate, strawberry/banana and mango are all fabulous, in my opinion.

I tried it this morning with my chocolate shake and it seemed much thicker after being in the freezer for a little while!

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:39 PM

Well the clinic where I live charges you $250 up front with just a week of food and then after so long they charge another fee for your weekly check up and weigh-ins plus almost $90 for food!

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:40 PM
I only used the soups as gravy - like in chicken pot pie with cauliflower mash. You can eat regular chicken broth and put your veggies in that.

since you like the cereal so much - have you turned it into pancakes, waffles or pizza crust yet?

I'm going to try the cereal as a pancake tomorrow! :)

kaylae24
01-17-2013, 11:42 PM
The soups are pretty nasty, as well as the omelets. My IP go-tos are the wildberry yogurt drink and RTD chocolate. I pack a big lunch bag with a week's worth of IP foods that I bring into work each Monday. Lunch is usually a big salad from the cafe, followed by the chocolate drink.

I've started to use some alternative products, which you might want to consider since you're ordering all your food online anyway. On the weekends, I make a pudding mix into a shake (weight loss systems chocolate chip w/marshmallow pudding mix, 1C water, 1C ice, and 1C spinach) for breakfast. I also like the proti-thin cream of vegetable soup; so much better than the IP soups. You can get the alt products from nashuanutrition.com

The only reason I haven't switched to an alternative is because I have heard you lose weight so much faster on the actual IP diet but as time goes on I believe I will make the switch! Much cheaper and more variety!

Calisto
01-18-2013, 12:10 AM
I liked the orange drink for about 3 days and then my stomach said NO MORE!

Now I drink the RTD chocolate drinks 2 a day. That is all I have been doing for almost 7 weeks and am not tired of it yet! I have a bar too. :)

I do not mind the puddings if I make it, put it in the freezer for 30-45 min. YUM!

Calisto
01-18-2013, 12:11 AM
Oh and the RTD shakes I love because if I forget about it, throw it in the freezer for 30 min and it's perfect, 1 hour it's really thick a little over an hour and it tastes like a frosty!

One hasn't exploded yet on me :)

dishare
01-18-2013, 12:35 AM
The only way I can eat the soup is to saute mushrooms in (grape seed oil), I always have cooked chicken on hand or roast beef. I saute asparagus with the mushrooms then add it to the soup with the chicken. I've added curry to it which really helps alot. I also cook broccoli & cauli in the microwave, give a quick chop in the magic bullet and add to the soup to get my veggies in.

dishare
01-18-2013, 12:36 AM
I think you are getting ripped off, all I pay is for the food, no other charges.

dishare
01-18-2013, 12:37 AM
The "coach" is a joke. They're just selling food and handing out papers. There's more "coaching" on this and other websites.

WorldTraveleronIP
01-18-2013, 09:02 AM

I am coach free this round and order from plainprotein online. Don't pay for shipping, opt for the free shipping-they send it to me in 2 days for free. Amazing site. I have stocked up for the next four months, so my spare room closet looks like an IP store.

WorldTraveleronIP
01-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm the anomaly here that actually likes the soups: the broccoli cheese, chicken noodle, mushroom, tomato and chicken soup. I actually take one to work each day with a salad and that is what I eat for lunch everyday. I live in a cold climate and look forward to the soup-it's hot and satiating for me.

I used to doctor them with loads of veggies and spices/herbs, but found it made it worse. My method-I put it in a mug at work and add warm water, stir for several minutes, then heat in the microwave. I drink it slowly after I eat my salad and maybe will add sea salt, but that is it.

I think I got really used to them the first time I was on IP-I lived on soups, omelet and puddings exclusively for four months and must have gotten used to them.

Try the Chicken Ala King-it's really good and thicker. Try the potato puree for lunch. Also, with your leftover soups, maybe leave out the veggies (which to me makes them worse) and just add sea salt, pepper and herbs (thyme, oregano, sage, onion/garlic powder, cilantro, basil, cayenne pepper, etc) to the soups and sip it like a hot drink out of a mug? Maybe if you drink them instead of eating them with a spoon out of a bowl and you use a different amount of water, it might get better?

I mention this only because I know these boxes are expensive and you have to use what you have. Try all the different ways people suggested on here and maybe one will work best for you.

I just discovered the WF caramel syrup and am loving my morning coffee and used it to doctor my butterscotch pudding yesterday :) It's the little things on IP.

sonyainva
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
for the crispy cereal, i had to put only 1 egg white, other wise too "eggy" for me.

you have to cook it at little less than medium heat.

have learned patience really is the key with the ip foods

when i started i didnt care for the chicken noodle soup, now i have learned to let it soak in cold water for 3 to 5 minutes. shake it vigorously and cook it on low heat, i put in thin sliced serrano peppers and i am good to go.

may try mushroom soup again

our ip receptionist gave me a chicken patty to try, going to try, last time the smell of the uncooked stuff was so nauseating i threw it out, going to try it this weekend.

did not care for the potatoe flakes, made biscuits, made pancakes, just not something i enjoyed.

sandralosingweight
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I almost never had the soup pack made as a soup cause like you I did not like it that much, what I liked though was that I used to use the dry mix as spices over my stir vegetables, this was my favorite way to have them, try it, hope you will like it this way.

LizJazz
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Has anyone figured out how much it costs per week to order ip food online?? It costs me $80 a week for food they my "coach".

LizJazz
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Just checked my email from ideal protein to go and it daub that each box is $28 and has 7 packets of food. That is $4 a box-the same as why I pay thru my coach. I guess I will try to research other alternatives when my 7 month old allows me to have some free time.
Have a great day everyone!!!

chicago girl
01-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I too hate the soups. I pretty much eat the same everyday... cereal for breakfast, bar for lunch, then alternate every other day for snack with the chocolate drink (hot) and the blueberry cran granata drink (collagen).