Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Talking Fighting the Good Fight? Let's Talk About Lifetime Weight Management at Any Age

Many of us at whatever age have been managing their weight for many years or are just starting out on a weight related journey.

We might be losing, gaining, maintaining, have a zillion different approaches, lifestyles, be at any stage of life, have different interests & personalities, but we all have one thing in common, we are fighting the good fight of healthy weight management.

Let's share our wisdom & talk about what we've learned or are in the process of learning & support each other in weight management and just generally.

Everyone is welcome.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Being pregnant is not a ticket to revert to bad habits and baby weight is much harder to take off than many girls think! I was a maintainer when I got pregnant the first time and I'm still battling it after my 2nd baby, I got wayyyyy too complacent. How on earth I thought anything would be easier wit a kid around? Yees!!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Weight management never ends it takes constant effort.Every Day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #4  
Happy Member

Hi, Peeps:

I firmly believe that those 65+ lbs. I've lost are hanging around in the atmosphere, just waiting to reattach themselves to me.

It does become a bit of a struggle to maintain a weight loss. It takes a constant focus on eating habits and activity levels.

Amarantha2 - Thanks for starting this thread.

Sasha - Being pregnant is exciting. And with a toddler around your life is even more exciting. Stay strong!

Bargoo - We are in this weight loss/management business for the long haul.

Weight management is worth all the effort, it really is.

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 01-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Our lost pounds are hanging around in the atmosphere forever like volcanic dust, smoke and smog.

I will be spending a romantic day with my husband working on our broken pipes. When we get done with that, I will be taking a nice, long shower...

Today, I am very grateful for indoor plumbing.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'm several years into maintenance. It never ends. To keep the weight off, you have to monitor your choices forever. You don't get to be a "normal" person who eats what they want, whenever they want. You get to watch it all the time.

In return for all this effort, I get to stand in dressing rooms and try to decide whether my butt looks better in a size 4 or a size 6. It more than makes up for having to say no to that second slice of pizza.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

[QUOTE=Robin41;4593136You don't get to be a "normal" person who eats what they want, whenever they want.[/QUOTE]

How many slim adults do you know who get to eat what they want, whenever they want? I know none.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Freelancemomma - I know some slim adults who eat whatever they want whenever they want ... but the trick is for some reason they naturally just don't want much. Or if they have a HUGE meal they are so full all day they hardly eat the rest of the day. I think some people just have bodies that naturally self regulate and cravings and desires that are important.

I will ALWAYS have to regulate my real desires. I'd weight 600 lbs if I ate whatever I watned.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #9  
Happy Member

What's normal?????????

I'm several years into maintenance myself. I like having lost weight. I certainly don't want to go back to being fat/obese.

And I can eat whatever I want to eat. There are no 'food police' monitoring my food intake.

That's because I do not want to eat like I used to eat. I do enjoy eating, but I am thoroughly enjoying eating the healthy foods that help me maintain my weight loss. I have absolutely no desire to eat any more of those foods that made me fat in the first place.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
I think some people just have bodies that naturally self regulate and cravings and desires that are important.
You can't seperate genetics from environment when it comes to eating. There may be a difference between "naturally self regulate" and "learned to self regulate" and/or some combination.

What would be interesting is to take a large group of these people and find out what kind of eating environment they were raised in and test their insulin sensativity and other hormonal responses to eating.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Maintenance requires vigilance, no doubt about it. I'm so grateful my journey has been long and much interrupted, because it has taken me completely out of the diet/on/off mindset.

Eating with accountability is what I do, always, and correcting as needed is just the way of it. I accept it, I'm comfortable with it, I don't get tired of it because it's as much a fact of life as waking up to my alarm, brushing my hair, or finishing my bible study. When the mental conflict/fatigue is removed from the equation, maintenance isn't 'easy' but it is fairly routine - and that's what I think has to happen for the most comfortable long term results. I do lots of things every day that I don't get tired of, and maintenance behaviors are on that list. Daily, for life, and not worth railing over
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #12  
Empress/Queen

Wow, nice to see everyone, huzzah!

I had a good calorie day yesterday and THINK it I'm on Day 7 of my Good Calorie Level Challenge. Got up really early today to do the half hour of circuit training I had planned and used one of The Firm's classics (the first Firm ever made) to keep me company for the half hour. Taking shower soon as I have an early appointment. It is SO much warmer here, still cold but quite a bit warmer than the mornings have been for a week.

Re the "Good Fight" ... I love that phrase in relation to the weight journey. It was originally used by Gailr42 in a previous thread and it motivates me to realize that I AM still and forever fighting this good fight, not only to maintain a weight loss that occurred slowly over almost two decades now (with the usual ups and downs along the way) but it is a GOOD fight that I seek to do in a healthful manner and for the benefit solely of myself and my life, whatever twists & turns the life takes. I can't use the twists and turns as an excuse to gain a lot of weight back because it absolutely would make no sense to do so. Things are good in life and bad in life, but I have to be careful not to let that mindset I get sometimes that it isn't important to stay in a good (as defined by me) weight range.

Have a great day, all!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-17-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #13  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Weight management never ends it takes constant effort.Every Day.
+1

Every day I watch what I eat, how much of it, etc. Unplanned things happen but I'm confident in my abilities to manage them.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

We have water and I am solidly 159lbs this morning. What more could I ask for?

We are off to the "big city" this morning and will visit Costco etc to buy more healthy food.

Keep up the good fight!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #15  
Happy Member

Good Morning -

Gail - I'm so glad the broken water pipe problem got dealt with so quickly. Good for you on the weight situation, and enjoy your visit to the big city.

If we are careful about what we eat, and consistent about sticking to our weight loss/maintenance plans, the unexpected things that can happen can be dealt with fairly easily. I don't think this means that we must be obsessed with our weight-management, it just means that those of us who are weight-challenged must be careful.

Some people find this very easy to do, others find it much more difficult.