Weight Loss Support - Fighting the Good Fight? Let's Talk About Lifetime Weight Management at Any Age

Amarantha2
01-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Many of us at whatever age have been managing their weight for many years or are just starting out on a weight related journey.

We might be losing, gaining, maintaining, have a zillion different approaches, lifestyles, be at any stage of life, have different interests & personalities, but we all have one thing in common, we are fighting the good fight of healthy weight management.

Let's share our wisdom & talk about what we've learned or are in the process of learning & support each other in weight management and just generally.

Everyone is welcome.

sacha
01-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Being pregnant is not a ticket to revert to bad habits and baby weight is much harder to take off than many girls think! :) I was a maintainer when I got pregnant the first time and I'm still battling it after my 2nd baby, I got wayyyyy too complacent. How on earth I thought anything would be easier wit a kid around? Yees!!

bargoo
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Weight management never ends it takes constant effort.Every Day.

JoJoJo2
01-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi, Peeps:

I firmly believe that those 65+ lbs. I've lost are hanging around in the atmosphere, just waiting to reattach themselves to me. :)

It does become a bit of a struggle to maintain a weight loss. It takes a constant focus on eating habits and activity levels.

Amarantha2 - Thanks for starting this thread.

Sasha - Being pregnant is exciting. And with a toddler around your life is even more exciting. Stay strong!

Bargoo - We are in this weight loss/management business for the long haul.

Weight management is worth all the effort, it really is. :wave:

gailr42
01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Our lost pounds are hanging around in the atmosphere forever like volcanic dust, smoke and smog.

I will be spending a romantic day with my husband working on our broken pipes. When we get done with that, I will be taking a nice, long shower...

Today, I am very grateful for indoor plumbing.

Robin41
01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm several years into maintenance. It never ends. To keep the weight off, you have to monitor your choices forever. You don't get to be a "normal" person who eats what they want, whenever they want. You get to watch it all the time.

In return for all this effort, I get to stand in dressing rooms and try to decide whether my butt looks better in a size 4 or a size 6. It more than makes up for having to say no to that second slice of pizza.

freelancemomma
01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Robin41;4593136You don't get to be a "normal" person who eats what they want, whenever they want.[/QUOTE]

How many slim adults do you know who get to eat what they want, whenever they want? I know none.

F.

mandypandy2246
01-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Freelancemomma - I know some slim adults who eat whatever they want whenever they want ... but the trick is for some reason they naturally just don't want much. Or if they have a HUGE meal they are so full all day they hardly eat the rest of the day. I think some people just have bodies that naturally self regulate and cravings and desires that are important.

I will ALWAYS have to regulate my real desires. I'd weight 600 lbs if I ate whatever I watned.

JoJoJo2
01-16-2013, 11:29 PM
What's normal?????????

I'm several years into maintenance myself. I like having lost weight. I certainly don't want to go back to being fat/obese.

And I can eat whatever I want to eat. There are no 'food police' monitoring my food intake.

That's because I do not want to eat like I used to eat. I do enjoy eating, but I am thoroughly enjoying eating the healthy foods that help me maintain my weight loss. I have absolutely no desire to eat any more of those foods that made me fat in the first place. :wave:

JohnP
01-17-2013, 12:00 AM
I think some people just have bodies that naturally self regulate and cravings and desires that are important.

You can't seperate genetics from environment when it comes to eating. There may be a difference between "naturally self regulate" and "learned to self regulate" and/or some combination.

What would be interesting is to take a large group of these people and find out what kind of eating environment they were raised in and test their insulin sensativity and other hormonal responses to eating.

Arctic Mama
01-17-2013, 12:18 AM
Maintenance requires vigilance, no doubt about it. I'm so grateful my journey has been long and much interrupted, because it has taken me completely out of the diet/on/off mindset.

Eating with accountability is what I do, always, and correcting as needed is just the way of it. I accept it, I'm comfortable with it, I don't get tired of it because it's as much a fact of life as waking up to my alarm, brushing my hair, or finishing my bible study. When the mental conflict/fatigue is removed from the equation, maintenance isn't 'easy' but it is fairly routine - and that's what I think has to happen for the most comfortable long term results. I do lots of things every day that I don't get tired of, and maintenance behaviors are on that list. Daily, for life, and not worth railing over ;)

Amarantha2
01-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Wow, nice to see everyone, huzzah! :wave:

I had a good calorie day yesterday and THINK it I'm on Day 7 of my Good Calorie Level Challenge. Got up really early today to do the half hour of circuit training I had planned and used one of The Firm's classics (the first Firm ever made) to keep me company for the half hour. Taking shower soon as I have an early appointment. It is SO much warmer here, still cold but quite a bit warmer than the mornings have been for a week.

Re the "Good Fight" ... I love that phrase in relation to the weight journey. It was originally used by Gailr42 in a previous thread and it motivates me to realize that I AM still and forever fighting this good fight, not only to maintain a weight loss that occurred slowly over almost two decades now (with the usual ups and downs along the way) but it is a GOOD fight that I seek to do in a healthful manner and for the benefit solely of myself and my life, whatever twists & turns the life takes. I can't use the twists and turns as an excuse to gain a lot of weight back because it absolutely would make no sense to do so. Things are good in life and bad in life, but I have to be careful not to let that mindset I get sometimes that it isn't important to stay in a good (as defined by me) weight range.

Have a great day, all! :wave:

sontaikle
01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Weight management never ends it takes constant effort.Every Day.

+1

Every day I watch what I eat, how much of it, etc. Unplanned things happen but I'm confident in my abilities to manage them.

gailr42
01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
We have water and I am solidly 159lbs this morning. What more could I ask for?

We are off to the "big city" this morning and will visit Costco etc to buy more healthy food.

Keep up the good fight!

JoJoJo2
01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Good Morning -

Gail - I'm so glad the broken water pipe problem got dealt with so quickly. Good for you on the weight situation, and enjoy your visit to the big city.

If we are careful about what we eat, and consistent about sticking to our weight loss/maintenance plans, the unexpected things that can happen can be dealt with fairly easily. I don't think this means that we must be obsessed with our weight-management, it just means that those of us who are weight-challenged must be careful.

Some people find this very easy to do, others find it much more difficult.

Amarantha2
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Woot, congratulations, Gayle on being at 159 and having water, hope you had fun at Costco.

JoJo, I agree about consistency and that it is different from obsession.

I think consistency makes consistency easier as time goes on.

I am at day something of my good calorie level challenge and in a week and a half will have a new chunk of time accounted for in my weekly schedule and some new challenges and SO I am NOW going to get a little more strict with the eating and start now rebuilding some healthy habits I have been letting slip.

Hmmm, which translated means that I am going shopping for healthy food, today, as I am down on the healthy and when I let THAT slip, it isn't far to the slippery slope of CAKE!

Have a good day, all! :carrot:

gailr42
01-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Jo, weight challenged is such a good way to describe us!

When it is cold outside, I put on my coat. When I am tired, I go to bed. One of my goals for weight management is to eat the same way. No obsessing, no agonizing. I want to eat naturally just like I sleep and protect myself from the elements. I don't even know if this is realistic.

I admired Red Velvet Cake at Costco. I noticed it cost about $10 and weighed 3.5 lbs; a big cake. OK. I will quit with the chat about cake.

You know how they serve samples at Costco? They were giving tastes of some kind of chicken for super bowl Sunday. It was really good. I was even thinking about buying some until I looked at the box for nutritional information. 230 calories in three very small pieces, mostly from fat!!!!

We went to Winco, Costco and Trader Joe's. I bought broccoli, bell pepper, many pounds of pears, Cuties oranges, cucumber, radishes, celery, grape tomatoes, chicken lunch meat, 5.5 lbs of frozen stir-fry veggies [my fourth bag since June], chicken burgers, salad dressing and Meringue cookies [yum] from TJs. In other words, more healthy food, for me, too.

We also bought two new, modern looking bar stools for our kitchen. They have a built in pad so I won't always be trying to keep the separate pads on the chair. I am sure the cat will be pleased that he can jump on the stool and not fall right back off because the chair pad slides.

My exercise for today was cutting back a giant rosemary bush that had gotten totally out of hand. I had a really huge pile of stuff. It got to 63 degrees today and I enjoyed the feel of the sun on my body while I was working.

JoJoJo2
01-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Good Evening -

Gail - Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your shopping trip. Wish we had a Costco in Casper. I love those cutie oranges. And right now the Roma tomatoes are our favorites. We are really fortunate that so many tasty veggies and fruits are available year-round. Like you, I also get the large bags of frozen mixed veggies for stir-fry. Good grocery stores make it easier to eat healthy.

Regarding weight loss/maintenance, I figure I'm a work in progress, as I do keep learning about myself. Yes, I do plan meals that are healthy, filling, and attractive on the plates. I agree that there is no particular reason that we should be 'obsessed' about an eating plan - it should just be a natural part of our lives. Very helpful is the nutritional information on the packages -I remember O-so-well when that was not available for shoppers. Yes, I am going to make mistakes because I am very human. But I'll continue to do the best I can.

Am2 - I hope your shopping trip was successful and that you stocked up on the healthy stuff, thereby avoiding that dreaded slippery slope that leads to R.V. cake!

I'm off to bed. Good-night, everyone! Let's all enjoy tomorrow. :wave:

shcirerf
01-19-2013, 01:18 AM
What I finally realized and then had to accept, is, my idea of normal was skewed and screwed up.

In order to stay at a healthy weight and fitness level, I needed to define what "normal" is to and for me.

How we do this, will differ from person to person, what works for me, may not work for you, but in the end, it's all about making the choice.:D

Obesity and it's health repercussions are rampant in 2 of the 4 sides of my family. The same can be said for my inlaw side of the family.

While I am at a good weight and fitness level, my mother in law thinks I'm GAUNT and PEAKED. How ever, when her youngest son, who is at least 100#'s overweight, called his Mom and said he was pre diabetic, she told him, that's what he got for being fat. :dizzy::?:

Mind you, the MIL, who I do love, is not exactly the picture of health. My Dh and I have discussed this at length, I will not change the path I am on, and my hubby supports this, his brother, is working hard to lose the weight and do better with his food choices and exercise.

I am thankful that my DH supports me, he never whines if I call and say, I couldn't make the workout at lunch, I'm gonna be a bit late, he tolerates my healthy cooking, "mostly"! About every 2 or 3 months he will request something like fried chicken and milk gravy. Because we only do this now and then, I do indulge that.

Over the last few years, he has become aware that his diet, also affects his health. He used to be able to eat and drink and do what ever and never gain an ounce, and all his health numbers were good, and then he got A-fib. Cardio-verted, shock his heart back into sync and OMG. The A-fib is another whole long story for another day, but the hub finally realized that all of the things that I had been telling him, about paying attention to your lifestyle finally sunk in. We won't even bother with the 2 fingers he had amputated, another long story.

So, long story short, my health is up to me, I am no good to myself or anyone else, if I'm not healthy. Some days, some people may have to wait an hour for something, but that is better than waiting in the ER.

JoJoJo2
01-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Good Afternoon -

shcirerf - Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like you have it figured out for yourself, and your example is helping others such as your DH. Finding what worked for you is the key, IMHO. What a wonderful job you have done in reshaping your life. Yes, your health is up to you.

It's been a nice day today in Wonderful Wyoming as we seem to be in a warming trend. We do need the moisture, but I like the warmth. :carrot:

I've been snacking today on a box of blueberries. Blueberries are a real treat for me, but I must be careful as one leads to another. :D

Let's continue to enjoy the weekend. :wave:

linJber
01-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Whether maintaining after a loss or maintaining a healthy weight that never got out of hand, I think the process is the same. My daughter (always at a healthy weight) and I (formerly 90 pounds heavier than now) are perfect examples. She eats healthy, balanced meals (prepared at home) almost all the time. She rarely snacks, rarely overdoes the junk food, rarely eats white carbs, never eats fast food, exercises almost every day. Some of this is easy, some takes determination. Between meal snacks are fruit, nuts, veggies. Chips are never in the house. There is very little candy around.

When I realized that she works at staying thin, it all fell into place in my mind. I had to start thinking like a thin person. So I follow her example and manage to maintain my loss while she maintains never gaining. It would be so easy if we still lived together!

I think no one stays thin who eats everything we (those of us with the huge urge to eat) want to eat. The people who seemingly eat everything they want and stay thin want way less than I do. That's the difference.

My best advice to myself was to eat and think like a thin person. That along with getting rid of every bit of clothing that is too big and putting on the brakes if my smallest pants start (START - I'm saying it again for emphasis) to feel even a little bit tight.

Lin

linJber
01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Whether maintaining after a loss or maintaining a healthy weight that never got out of hand, I think the process is the same. My daughter (always at a healthy weight) and I (formerly 90 pounds heavier than now) are perfect examples. She eats healthy, balanced meals (prepared at home) almost all the time. She rarely snacks, rarely overdoes the junk food, rarely eats white carbs, never eats fast food, exercises almost every day. Some of this is easy, some takes determination. Between meal snacks are fruit, nuts, veggies. Chips are never in the house. There is very little candy around.

When I realized that she works at staying thin, it all fell into place in my mind. I had to start thinking like a thin person. So I follow her example and manage to maintain my loss while she maintains never gaining. It would be so easy if we still lived together!

I think no one stays thin who eats everything we (those of us with the huge urge to eat) want to eat. The people who seemingly eat everything they want and stay thin want way less than I do. That's the difference.

My best advice to myself was to eat and think like a thin person. That along with getting rid of every bit of clothing that is too big and putting on the brakes if my smallest pants start (START - I'm saying it again for emphasis) to feel even a little bit tight.

Lin

Amarantha2
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Lin Jber, I think you are right. I think it is the rare person who can eat everything they want over time and stay in a healthy weight range, at least in today's world, maybe the cave people did lol, but we have too many good things to eat in our world.

My OFFICIAL Sunday weigh-in has been rescheduled to Monday or Tuesday as I have an elevated temperature for some stupid reason, although feeling fine. When I feel feverish I like to be able to drink as much liquid as I want, including this time, the protein shakes I am craving, and I do not intend to mess with my own head if I see a vast upward number on the scale because I am craving and will be drinking tons of water all night. The official scale day can wait a bit. And if I am down, that will mess with my head, too, because if I have the flu or something it'll be up again next Sunday and that will bug me and so I am waiting patiently for a more auspicious day.

Just how I do things sometimes.

Shcirerf, I feel the same way and what you say about your health being up to you resonates with my reasoning, for example, in delaying my customary "official" weigh in. I do this weight management thing to benefit myself and make all the rules to benefit myself and do what works for me because if I am not good for me I'm not good for anyone else.

JoJo, I love blueberries, sounds good.

The weather here is heavenly. Could be why I have a fever, temp returned to what is more normal for my part o' the desert just when the body was getting used to things being in the 20s, which is NOT normal.

Gail, lol, you were so good just to admire the Red Velvet Cake and not buy him. He is evil, shun him.

Good night, all! :wave:

JoJoJo2
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Good Evening -

linJber Eat and think like a thin person - that's great advice for anyone. You and your daughter have found the best solution for the two of you, and that's great! Just keep doing what you have been doing.

Amarantha2 Actally I have some friends who stay slender no matter what they eat. I guess they are wired differently than those of us who are weight-challenged, and that's great. In fact I have one friend who is very slight of build, and who eats most of her meals at fast-food establishments. And best of luck to you, whenever you have your official weigh-in.

Today has been a busy day. Our Auxiliary is hosting the church potlucknext Sunday evening, so I've been working on getting the program together for that event. And it's coming together very nicely. I always figure that things will take care of themselves, and they usually do. :)

We visited the Natural Foods Store today, and I purchased some gluten free goodies. I've embarked on a program of banishing wheat, barley, and rye from my food intake, and I'm very comfortable about it. So at the Natural Foods Store I bought some crackers, some wheat-free oatmeal, and come gluten-free cookies. I've been sorta craving a cracker, so now I can eat a cracker. LOL

The weather has been lovely here, too. Let's keep on keeping on. It's the absolutely best thing for us to do. :wave:

HungryHungryHippo
01-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I've found that I have to make eating right and exercising first priority. I used to let work nudge them aside when things got busy, but now I don't.

shcirerf
01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Good Afternoon -

shcirerf - Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like you have it figured out for yourself, and your example is helping others such as your DH. Finding what worked for you is the key, IMHO. What a wonderful job you have done in reshaping your life. Yes, your health is up to you.

Thank you! I finally made myself a priority, I'm no good to anyone else if I'm not healthy. I actually have planned workout for 3/22/2013. We are having a new grandbaby on 3/23. I took 3/22 off, because I'm going up to take care of my granddaughter while my son and DIL go have the new baby the next day. Before I head out, I'm going to workout!:D I've already scoped out the local gyms where I'm heading and got plans in place for food to take with me!

I drove through Casper once a long time ago. I'm in western Nebraska. Will be in Douglas, WY in July for a wedding! My nephew is marrying a sweetie from there! I have a sis who lives in Torrington and a cousin in Lingle.

JoJoJo2
01-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Good Morning -

shcirerf - We used to live in Beatrice, which is in the far south-eastern part of Nebraska. I've been in many parts of the Panhandle when I was much more active in church work than I am now. And of course we are well acquainted with Douglas, the Jackalope town. LOL Yes, we really need to make ourselves a priority, although we females are the care-givers. It's like on an airplane, they tell you if the cabin loses pressure, put the oxygen mask on your own face before you deal with the children. We do have to take care of ourselves so we can take care of others in our lives.

HHH - Thanks for chiming in. Work is certainly important, but you can make that work easier and do it better if you are in good health. Good for you in making that change in your life.

It continues to be cool here, but we did get to a grocery store to purchase needed supplies. Yesterday it was Natural Fpods, today it was Walmart. Our pantry is well stocked now.

So let's make this coming week a good week in our lives. :wave:

Amarantha2
01-21-2013, 03:39 PM
JoJo, lucky friends you have who can eat whatever they want and not gain weight.

This is a flyby as so busy today & getting over a fast case of flu.

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Woot!

sontaikle
01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
I really like the idea of redefining normal. I've totally had to overhaul my eating habits to maintain my loss for a year so far because the WOE I grew up with was skewed and geared toward keeping me overweight.

It was tough to rewrite 23 years of programming, but I think I did it.

It's become the new normal for me. I don't really see my weight loss or lifestyle as a "big deal;" it's just something I do--just as one brushes their teeth every morning. It's a bit weird to me actually that when people find out about my weight loss that it is a big deal to them because I've moved past it and it's just my life now.

gailr42
01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Through researching my family history, I found that I have Torrington connections.

William Morris (1834-03-24 – 1896-10-03) was an English textile designer, artist, writer, socialist and Marxist associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and the English Arts and Crafts Movement. http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/William_Morris

I am not interested in his politics, but his design and writing about design. He said, "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful". This quote inspires me when my house gets overwhelming. Sometimes I simply can't cope with all my belongings, so I am again working on divesting myself of some burdensome possessions.

This morning, while I was recycling, tossing, rearranging and dusting, I watched the inauguration. The commentators discussed the luncheon menu http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/dining/lobster-bison-and-wine-at-lunch-after-inauguration.html which included some really wonderful, decadent dishes. I got to thinking that I could restate the William Morris quote to read, "Dine on nothing that you do not know to be healthful or believe to be uncompromisingly delicious". Making this kind of committment may not be entirely realistic, but could certainly be a goal towards which to work. In my life, "the uncompormisingly delicious" is rarely available, but I sure don't want to deny myself when it appears! On the other hand, foods that I know to be healthy are abundant. Then there are the happy occurances where we find both delicious and healthy. Win-win...

Anyway, [/philosophizing], and back to useful, beautiful, healthy and delicious pursuits.

Ellemphriem
01-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Maintained weight all the time when i was a child/teen/young adult with no try whatsoever because i was into running. So i always exercised. Miles each day, not because i had to, but because i loved to. Gained weight when i stopped exercising and lost 90 pounds of it in a year because i started exercising again (see a pattern anywhere?).....stopped exercising when i fell pregnant to my now 4 year old daughter, gained 60 pounds and started loosing again only now that i begun exercising again. I don't know why but exercising and weight maintenance was always the perfect equation with me. I know i'll loose weight just by dieting but if i don't exercise i won't keep it off for long.....thankfully i love working out, it's not a duty to me. BUT when you are alone with a house to keep, jobs that are running and a kid that you are raising yourself somehow at the end of the day you want to DIE....not jump on a bike or go running :(......

Amarantha2
01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Lol, my problem is that I find almost everything "uncompromisingly delicious."

I love almost all food, but things that I don't love tend to be the healthy foods that everyone thinks I should eat. I lost weight and have continued to maintain (more or less) by only eating things I want, not the things that are necessarily healthy.

So, thinking of it, I am just in a sense like those people who actually do eat anything they want, except I have to work harder at keeping weight off.

I really don't know any of those kinds of people anymore, though. It seems I used to know those kinds of people who didn't think about weight and kept it off and ate everything but that was years and years ago and they all eventually gained weight.

I hated exercise as a child, but somewhere in my 20s when people weren't around to tell me to exercise, I discovered I LOVED it.

For me, it doesn't take weight off but it does help vastly in maintaining my weight loss as well as my health and sanity.

I think I would be insane, literally, if I could not exercise.

I'd have to eat a lot more cake to stay sane. :carrot:

gailr42
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Yeah, there isn't much I don't like, either.

What I am trying to tell myself is that everything is not "uncompromisingly delicious". If I would learn to be a little more discriminating, I could eat anything I want. What I eat for comfort or just mindlessly, is usually not that wonderful, nor is it healthy.

I didn't mean to imply that things that are healthy aren't desirable. I like broccoli quite a bit, but it isn't gourmet. It is good and healthy. The young man in the cube next to mine at work brings homemade cheesecake to work on potluck days. His cheesecake is uncompromisingly delicious and I always have some. Sometimes I have more than that! I finally figured out that no one else is paying any attention to what I am eating, so if I want I can have cheesecake and six olives for lunch and skip the meatballs in grape jelly sauce.

Moving Forward
01-21-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm so glad to see this thread. I've lost most of my weight and given away my big clothes. I have NO interest in regaining. The next step for me is to try to figure out how to transition into a sustainable maintenance lifestyle. The stats I've read on maintenance are discouraging, I must say. With that in mind, I don't want to become one of those statistics. I would love to benefit from the knowledge and experiences of the maintainers here. Any advice would be much appreciated!

JoJoJo2
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Good Morning -

Amarantha - Yes, I do have friends who remain slender and evidently eat what they want to eat. The subject isn't really discussed. I do have the one slender friend who eats most of her meals at fast=food establishments, and remains slender. That I couldn't do. :)

sontaikle - Good for you in figuring out what your "normal" should be. We are each so diffierent that what works for one individual won't necessarily work for another. I know that what is "normal" for me might be looked at as rather weird for someone else. :)

Gail - Useful, beautiful, healthy or delicious! That is something to consider. We are attempting to de-clutter our home as through the years we have acquired so much stuff. I guess I am a pack-rat as I hate to toss stuff. But I must. You have given me something to ponder.

Ellemphriem - Yes, you know what you need to do for yourself, but it isn't so easy to do when you are a busy mother plus have other calls on your time. Life does get in the way, but we do need to care for ourselves in order to be able to care for others. Again, it isn't easy.

Amarancha - I'm also one who finds foods delicious, and we do have to eat. But I also find the healthy foods to be delicious, and I want to maintain my current weight, so I keep telling myself that the healthy foods are much more delicious than the unhealthy foods. :) Mostly this works for me.

Gail - We have to keep telling ourselves these things.

Moving Forward - Thanks for chiming in. Yes, the stats regarding maintenance can scare anyone. For me, I weight myself daily as that helps keep me on track. Otherwise, I just keep eating a healthy mix of foods, controlling the carb intake, and staying as active as possible. This is working for me. Keep yourself focused.

So let's all make today a great day! We each have it within ourselves to stay positive about this healthy lifestyle we are working to achieve.

freelancemomma
01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Freelancemomma - I know some slim adults who eat whatever they want whenever they want ... but the trick is for some reason they naturally just don't want much. Or if they have a HUGE meal they are so full all day they hardly eat the rest of the day.

This I agree with. And like you, I'd weigh 600 lbs if I ate whatever and whenever I wanted.

F.

Amarantha2
01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Lol, to clarify, I have no doubt there are folks who can eat whatever and however they want & not gain weight. I just think there are factors in modern culture that makes it harder & harder for such naturally slender people to stay that way. To be honest most of the people in my life who I would have classified as not natural over eaters or weight gainers have since gained a lot of weight.

Put me on the list of those who would weigh 600 pounds if I ate whenever or however much.

I do eat at a higher calorie range most of the time than many people who watch weight, though, so I am usually pretty satisfied.

JoJo, I think I can eat just fine calorie wise at a fast food place, but I'd feel very ill a few days of eating all meals there.

Gail, too bad broccoli isn't as delectable as cheesecake to me. I wish it were. I put it into a green smoothie & drink it lol.

Moving Forward, hello! I have no words of maintenance wisdom. Lol, I just slog along and keep fighting the good fight. I gain some, lose some, it seems important to me, just how I roll. I keep it fun. :)

gailr42
01-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I have some kind of psychological objection to smoothies, especially green ones. For some reason the whole idea just sounds yucky. Lol. I also claim that I won't eat any blue food. The genesis of the blue food objection is from when my kids were little and liked a blue popcicle from the ice cream man. It smelled like poison to me. So, no smoothies and no blue food. That leaves quite a few other possibilities. Red velvet food comes to mind.

In the Good News - Bad News department: I couldn't find anything I liked to wear this morning. It was suddenly all too big!!! Yay!! On the other hand, some things I ordered from Land's End came today and they were all way too small. What's wierd about the too small blouses is that they are too small in the upper arm. I feel like I am in a straight jacket [what ever that is]. My upper arms aren't fat, for pete's sake. Actually, I am kind of upset by my clothing, but I'll survive.

Days in the high 60s - beautiful. Nights in the low 30s - tolerable. We had a donkey in the yard last night, and a hawk in a tree this morning. Life is good.

losermom
01-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, there isn't much I don't like, either.

What I am trying to tell myself is that everything is not "uncompromisingly delicious". If I would learn to be a little more discriminating, I could eat anything I want. What I eat for comfort or just mindlessly, is usually not that wonderful, nor is it healthy.

I didn't mean to imply that things that are healthy aren't desirable. I like broccoli quite a bit, but it isn't gourmet. It is good and healthy. The young man in the cube next to mine at work brings homemade cheesecake to work on potluck days. His cheesecake is uncompromisingly delicious and I always have some. Sometimes I have more than that! I finally figured out that no one else is paying any attention to what I am eating, so if I want I can have cheesecake and six olives for lunch and skip the meatballs in grape jelly sauce.

I think the key here is that we may choose to eat something that we consider "uncompromisingly delicious" and at the same time leave the "meh" meatballs in grape jelly sauce. My problem is that my "uncompromisingly delicious" items can vary day by day.

This I agree with. And like you, I'd weigh 600 lbs if I ate whatever and whenever I wanted.
F.

x3!

I have some kind of psychological objection to smoothies, especially green ones. For some reason the whole idea just sounds yucky. Lol. I also claim that I won't eat any blue food. The genesis of the blue food objection is from when my kids were little and liked a blue popcicle from the ice cream man. It smelled like poison to me. So, no smoothies and no blue food. That leaves quite a few other possibilities. Red velvet food comes to mind.

In the Good News - Bad News department: I couldn't find anything I liked to wear this morning. It was suddenly all too big!!! Yay!! On the other hand, some things I ordered from Land's End came today and they were all way too small. What's wierd about the too small blouses is that they are too small in the upper arm. I feel like I am in a straight jacket [what ever that is]. My upper arms aren't fat, for pete's sake. Actually, I am kind of upset by my clothing, but I'll survive.

Days in the high 60s - beautiful. Nights in the low 30s - tolerable. We had a donkey in the yard last night, and a hawk in a tree this morning. Life is good.

I too have a hard time drinking green things, unless it is a margarita! Clothes are weird! There is no rhyme or reason to the way that they fit. I'm convinced that manufacturers stack the fabric in a huge pile and a "cutter" in the shape of the pattern piece slices thru/stamps all of the fabric at one time. Therefore the pieces at the top are a different "size" or shape than the ones at the bottom of the stack. Can you tell I'm a former tailor? I have to try on everything before I buy. I may end up with a XS, a L, a 4 or a 10!

JoJoJo2
01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Good Morning, Everyne -

Well, I'm weird I guess, because I never make nor eat smoothies. Back in the day when so many people were getting Magic Bullets I decided then and there that since I don't eat smoothies, I certainly had no need for a Magic Bullet. I do like blue foods - blueberries, grapes, plums. And I dearly love broccoli, both raw and steamed. I'm very much a veggie lover.

Since I am a type 2 diabetic, I do avoid those delicious and decadent desserts that are so tempting. I want to manage my diabetes as best I can, so that means I just can't, and won't, eat those tasty desserts.

I firmly believe that when we are confronted with food choices, we should make the best possible choices. Life is good, I want to enjoy it for as long as is possible. :wave:

Amarantha2
01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Lol, I have nothing wise to say.

Except hi and let's all keep fighting the good fight in the way it makes sense to us.

I think everyone is an individual and each body is different, although we all share a common biological basis.

Science and hearing great debate about the journey helps but in the final analysis, the only thing that is probably going to work is listening to our own inner wisdom and to our own bodies.

Well, maybe.

That's how I am feeling today.

JoJoJo2
01-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Good Morning -

I've done a lot of reading on the subject of losing weight, and keeping that lost weight off. I also find great debates on YouTube regarding that subject.

All these weight-loss gurus sound so convincing. Each one of them is so dedicated to the weight-loss program he/she espouses. Each has his/her own agenda.

So, who do I believe? Well, all of them, sorta -

It's just that there is no "one size fits all" in weight management. We each have to find what works for us, and stick to that plan. Forever!!! That is what I am trying to do. :)

Today is our wedding anniversary - 66 years. So today is a time of introspection for us. Of course we will go to the mall for a walkabout, and we will eat our lunch at some nice restaurant. It'll be a party day for sure. I'm planning to enjoy it all, but I'm also planning to exercise a little restraint.

May we all have a happy day today! :wave:

gailr42
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Jo, congratulations on 66 years! Enjoy your day.

I have been reading Ann Fletcher's Thin for Life. The stories of successful weight maintainers demonstrate what many of you are saying; one size does not fit all. Each person has to find his/her own way.

Sophie, the cat, seems to have lost 2.5 lbs since I started her on portion controlled, lower calorie meals. That seems like a lot; I don't remember when she began her journey, but I think she looks thinner.

I have neither gained nor lost over the last few days.

Amarantha2
01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
JoJo, happy 66th wedding anniversary!!! Hope your party day has been great so far and that you have a wonderful evening!

Gail congratulations re your cat's weight loss journey. :)

I will look for that book. Thanks for posting.

Losermom, ITA on the weirdness of sizes. Wish I could sew. I'd make my own clothes fit better.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

JoJoJo2
01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Good Morning -

Gail - Congratulations on 'maintaining' for a few days. This is just your body's way of catching up with itself. Stick to your program, and the weight loss will continue. As for Sophie, congratulations to her, too. A slender cat looks much nicer and is much healthier that a fat cat. And thanks for the good wishes regarding our anniversary.

Amarantha - Thanks for the good wishes regarding our anniversary.

We did have a good time yesterday. Did some walking at the mall, shopped at Target, ate a nice lunch, and that was about it. We do enjoy being together, we are both in fairly good health, and we are still enjoying life. I guess we can't ask for anything else.

So let's keep fighting that good fight, and make this weekend a good one. :wave:

gailr42
01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Sophie thanks you all for the support! :thanks: She's a sweet kitty and I want her to live to a ripe old age. I sometimes wish some giant would dole out my food to me and when my daily allotment is gone, it's gone. No amount of begging and nagging would get me more.

Tonight I made my own Volumetrics version of Spaghetti that was very tasty. I simmered about 2 onces of cooked, drained and rinsed hamburger with a huge pile of multicolored bell peppers, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, tomatoes, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and a little water. Then I mixed in about 2/3 cup of cooked pasta. My luncheon size plate was piled high. I had green beans, garlic toast and a salad alongside. Spaghetti makes me smile. Especially when it has fewer calories. This concoction will not work for anyone who doesn't like garlic and bell pepper.

We continued working on decluttering today. For some reason, we have accumulated a rather large stock pile of vacuum cleaner attachments. We assigned them to the appropriate cleaners and are sending the many left overs to the thrift shop.

I was down a pound this morning. That makes me smile, too.:D

Amarantha2
01-26-2013, 10:30 AM
I like that idea, Gayle, about the giant lol.

When doing intermittent fasting I used the "window closed" image & pretended I was a wandering depressed person with a large income who settled on a lonely island with only one general store and one small diner, so when the diner was closed as it frequently was because the one owner/operator/cook was lazy & went fishing a lot, I was too dysfunctional to cook & besides the one general store was closed frequently because the supply ship often forgot to stop at the island as the captain was usually late leaving the dock (whole lotta depressed, dysfunctional or lazy folk in that part of the ocean). So I just ate at the diner when open & took something home for dinner & made it last until the diner unshuttered the window and cooked some more food or the general store got more supplies.

In the meantime, I walked on the beach & contemplated the universe.

JoJoJo2
01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Good Morning -

Gail - I also use luncheon plates for my dinner. This makes it worrisome when we eat out and I am confronted by a HUGE dinner plate, it intimidatesme. :) Yes, I like filling my tummy with vegies of all colors, shapes, and sizes. I'm a real veggie lover.

Amarantha - walking on the beach, contemplating the Universe, sounds like a great idea to me.

Our church group is hosting a potluck tomorrow evening at church, and I have been busy getting ready for that event. My plot is to organize as best I can, then relax and enjoy the party. Things usually work out OK.

I'm enjoying my weekend, hope everyone else is, too. :wave:

gailr42
01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Jo, I have never been to a church potluck that didn't have terrific food. Do you force yourself to be moderate or go ahead and indulge a little?

I use the smaller plates even when I am not practicing portion control. I just like them better. And, yes, the huge plates at a restaurant are intimidating. Jerry likes big, deep plates so his food doesn't escape. Recently, I got him a nice blue one at Wally's. He calls it his "trough". I use a small platter for my giant salads.

Am2, I love your ocean/island scenario. I think you could develop it into a guided imagery piece. I have never heard one that had to do with food attitudes.

We had quite a bit of rain last night and now a cloud is sitting on us. It looks like someone spray painted our windows white - zero visibility.

Amarantha2
01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
JoJo, hope your potluck evening is fun. I would have a hard time being moderate at a church potluck. I would want to eat everything.

I also like smaller plates.

Gail, I do use storytelling (my former career was as a reporter) to create imagery related to eating & diet. I used to post reams of epic diet related tales related to my journey to make it more fun & help me figure it all out.

I don't do much of that anymore.

I did lose 1.6 this week & am. slogging along with my calorie challenge.

Good night, all!

JoJoJo2
01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Good Morning -

Gail - I agree that church potlucks present the opportunity for cooks to contribute the most delicious food in the universe. Actually that was true of last night's potluck. However, since I was doing the program I ate lightly as I always do when I am presenting the program. :) But there was lots of good food there.

Amarantha - I like your story-telling. And I firmly believe that whatever we can use to help us get to achieve a healthy weight loss and maintenance, that is what we should use. I once read this helpful hint - stand straight, with feet about 12" apart,shoulders back, hands on hips, and look downward at your tummy. Then ask yourself, "What can I do today to reduce the size of my tummy?" I've done this, and it helps me. LOL
It's snowing, and it's actually very pretty outside with the fresh snow decorating the neighbor's huge spruce trees. Hopefully the snow will continue as we do need the mioture.

Let's continue to 'fight the good fight' as we go through today. It is so important to maintain ourselves in the most healthy way possible, no matter what our age. :wave:

Amarantha2
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
JoJo, that is a good idea about asking what one can do today to reduce the size of the stomach lol.

The trouble sometimes comes when one is very satisfied with the size & the question becomes what can one do today to retain that desirable size of the body. That is the essence of maintenance to me.

One answer for me right now is to slog along with my 21-day challenge even though I am near the calorie cap. I love my 21-day calorie challenge & am determined not to crash & burn on it tonight.

Woot, have a great night, all.

gailr42
01-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Will I or won't I???? Eat the fried taco chips at the Mexican food place where I am going with a friend tonight? I'll be back later with the answer...

JoJoJo2
01-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Inquiring minds want to know !!!

Those are so tempting. I usually eat some of them, but I do try to restrain myself a bit. Best of luck to you, Gail.

Will I or won't I???? Eat the fried taco chips at the Mexican food place where I am going with a friend tonight? I'll be back later with the answer...

gailr42
01-30-2013, 01:24 AM
I ate not a one! After thinking about it all day, it occurred to me to post on here as a way of making myself think twice. Last time we went to this place, I ate too many chips and I could see the grease on the surface. I almost always get their chicken taco with onions and cilantro. The chicken is grilled and the tortillas very small. Last time I got the plate with rice and beans [Yum], but this time I had a salad instead of the rice and beans.

I can't believe I am so excited about not eating something.:D That's what I did for my tummy today.

Amarantha2
01-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Yay!!!! Good job on not eating those chips, Gail!!!!

I can't eat them at all as once I start I eat them all during a restaurant meal & it ruins the calorie level & messes with my head!

JoJoJo2
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Good for you, Gail. You resisted temptation, and now you are happy that you did so.

Those chips tend to lead us into mindless eating. One chip is not a disaster, but one chip leads to another, and another, and on and on it goes.

So :bravo: to you. You should be very proud of yourself.

Let's all have a good day today! :wave:

gailr42
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree that a few chips aren't going to make or break me. It is my inability to control whether or not I eat them that "messes with my head" and leads to mindless eating. I fret and worry about what I ate that I shouldn't have, then I want to eat more because I am anxious about it...a vicious circle.

My girlfriend that I go out to eat with always takes half her meal home to eat the next day. I have a terrible time not eating it all when it is on my plate. If I do manage to take home half of it, I eat it as soon as I get home. LOL! So, I think it is probably better for me to get a smaller meal and just go ahead and eat it.

Last week, we had Asian food. We had left-overs which I didn't take home. It was hard, but I told my friend to go ahead and take it all. Sometimes it seems that I am such a child about this eating business.

Am2, what do you mean by calorie cap? You can eat only so many in 21 days?

Jo, I love the clean, quiet look of a snowy landscape. I just wouldn't like to have to cope with it on a daily basis.

Thanks for both your comments about maintenance. I am trying to learn about it now, so I will know what to do when I get to goal. One thing for sure, it never ends, so everyone keep up the good fight!

indymama
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a newbie, but I've lurked for awhile. I will be 60 in a few months. I started my diet 3 weeks ago. I'm using the BistroMD program. They are pre-packaged, sent to our home, and we're doing the 5 day program, where we cook our own meals the other 2 days. My husband is also doing the program. His mother is doing WW's and she's doing really well with that too.

I really do avoid the scales! I use my clothes to tell me if what I'm doing is working. I would get so down if the scale didn't move, so now I just assume it's going in the right direction and I'm happier...lol

Two years ago I lost weight really fast. I did a low carb diet and I really shed the pounds. The problem was sticking with it for the long haul. I really like our BistroMD meals. They are a treat for us! Yes, they are expensive, but we were eating out 3 times a week, which also added up, and I don't mind skipping the grocery shopping, the clean-up, and trying to figure out calories and portion control. Thanks for listening and I enjoy this board!

gailr42
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Hi, Indymama - Welcome! It sounds like you have your whole family on track, one way or another. I have a friend who lost 50 lbs on WW.

I took a look around on the Bistro MD website. My goodness those meals look good. I guess one challenge for you can be to try to duplicate all that yumminess in the meals you cook on the off days. Since you and DH are both doing this together, it sounds perfect.

Personally, I don't think it matters very much how fast you loose the weight or what kind of diet you use - it is what you do for maintenance that tells the tale.

I have probably been on about five diets where I lost 20 to 40lbs. After the first one, I went right back to eating like I always did, but it took several years for me to gain it all back. Most recently, I kept the weight off for about a year and then gained it all back plus another 20lbs pretty fast. Will this time be different?? Who knows.

One of my biggest victories is that, over time, I have learned to enjoy fruit. It all started with going to a peach orchard a few years ago. I ate multiple peaches every day, despite what "they" say about too much fruit. I figured out that I certainly didn't get fat eating peaches. Last year, we went back to the orchard later in the year and they had pears. I learned how to tell if the pear was ripe. So I ate lots of peaches last summer, and now I am eating pears. We drove around the California central valley where Jerry is from and bought grapes right out of the field. Sometimes the workers just gave us a pile of grapes. They were to die for. Recently, I branched out into oranges, specifically the "Cuties" variety. Some of them have been pretty sour, but some have been good. I still haven't found the perfect apple. For what ever reason the sour apples are in style right now, and I really don't like sour apples. If I want something sour, I'll suck a lemon. LOL.

Today, I am grateful to have so many delicious things to eat.

indymama
01-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Gail, thanks for the warm welcome. You are so right, it really does help if the family/husband is on the same page with you when it comes to losing weight.

We've also tried to diet about 5 times now. We've lost plenty of weight, but unfortunately maintaining it has been a problem. Well, my husband has an issue with his legs right now, so it's important to take off some weight and keep it off now! When it comes to our health, it's no longer a vanity thing this time. He wants to lose about 65lbs. I'm hoping to lose around 40lbs.

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying fruit now! There is nothing wrong with that and it's so healthy. I love kiwi, berries, apples, peaches and just about every kind of fruit.

Yes trying to duplicate the BistroMD meals could be a problem. On our days off, we've either went out to eat, sticking with lean meat, veggie and salad, or I've made things like eggs and turkey sausage, and used lots of fish, chicken and lean meats with veggies.

We're in the process of medical tests for my hubby's legs, so hopefully, he can find out what is causing so much pain for him. He's very upbeat though! Anyway, I've been good today and stuck with my eating plan!

JoJoJo2
01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Good Evening, Everyone -

Hi, Indymama - Nice to have you chiming in. I think it is wonderful that you and your DH are both on the same program. Actually I've found that the losing of the weight was difficult enough, but keeping that lost weight off can be the real problem. Those lost lbs. just hang around, wanting to reattach themselves to me, and I don't want them back. Old habits die hard. Hopefully you and your DH will have as easier time of it than I have. And I hope that your DH's leg pain can be dealt with.

Gail - I'm glad you are enjoying fruit these days. You have mentioned purchasing pears so I know they are on your eating plan. I've always loved fruit, too much actually. As a diabetic I have to control my fruit intake because of the sugar content. So I eat carefully.

I've been working on putting together a brief history of our Ladies Auxiliary. In February we will celebrate our organization's 50th Birthday, which should be great fun. There are four of us who are Charter Members, and who are still active in the organization.

It continues to be cold here in Wyoming, and there is a possibility of more snow tonight. However the streets and highways are open, so we welcome the moisture.

Let's make Thursday another good day! :wave:

Amarantha2
01-31-2013, 04:04 AM
Hello, Indymama! Your name reminds me of my previous place of residence many, many years ago.

Your stint with Bistro M.D. sounds very interesting and delicious. I'd love to do that someday.

Hope your DH's medical appointment goes well.

Gail, I'm not a big fruit eater but pears are among those I love to experiment with or just eat.

JoJo, sounds like a happy time is ahead with your Auxiliary celebrating the 50th Birthday. How great that is to have friends and/or acquaintainces who are in the same organization for a long time together.

I think friends sticking together, through thick and thin, is one of the rarest things in life and to be cherished.

I had a good, moderate eating day and got my 10,000 steps in so am going off to bed now.

Lol, nothing profound to say! Woot! :wave:

indymama
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Good afternoon JoJo! We are sharing that cold weather with you! It was 63 degrees here on Monday, and yesterday it was in the lower 20's with a howling wind, and some blowing snow. I was hoping to walk our dog, but that wind would have taken my breath away!

I've never been to Wyoming, but I hope to visit there one day. We always hear that you can drive really fast on the highways out there. If that's true, maybe I should keep my husband away, he would probably love that!

Wow 50 years with your ladies auxiliary! I bet you've made some wonderful friends! I hope your event goes well.

Amarantha, hello to you! I really do enjoy the BistroMD. We sometimes lead a very hectic life, and having something available, so that we can just heat it up and get a well-balanced meal is great. This is a treat for us. I don't know how long we'll do this program, but it's been wonderful.

I'm a Indiana native. Did you live here at one time? If you can get used to the winters, it's a nice place to live and raise children.

My husband's doctors are slightly confused as to why my husband is having leg pain, but he is healthy otherwise. I think his inactivity from the leg issues, helped put on the extra pounds again.

Is anyone doing any exercise? I walk about 35 minutes every day. I'm starting slow because in previous diets, the exercise didn't make too much difference for me, until later on when I would hit a plateau. I try to stay active though.

Amarantha2
01-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi, Indymom! Yes, I lived and had a career in Indy for 25 years, but I've been where I am now for almost two decades, so sometimes I don't even relate to the winters back there anymore.

I exercise daily, currently doing a 10,000 (plus) step program and I lift weights 2-3 times per week, much lighter than I used to, plus I do some light aerobics DVDs (like Leslie), plus some yoga.

Other years I've done the gym, zumba, heavier weights, pretty much everything.

I love to stay active, too, trying to avoid slowing down with age.

Thanks for info about Bistro M.D.

Good night, all!

JoJoJo2
01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Good Evening -

Amarantha - Yes, we have a fun group at our church, and some of these people I have known for a long time. As for your exercise routine, I can't imagine you ever slowing down, no matter what age you are.

Indy - I am slowing down with age, and I'll admit it. I'm 86 now, and the years are catching up with me. I stay as active as I can, which is difficult in the winter months. My eyesight is failing, so I am no longer driving. I used to exercise regularly at Curves for Women, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But Curves is 7 miles away from me now. I like to walk, but right now it is too cold and windy for me to do my little walkabouts in the neighborhood. I stay as active as possible, and keep pushing myself. As for Wyoming, it is a sparsely populated state, the most sparsely populated in the US. So many tourists use the Interstate Highways through here as a racing track. Sometimes they get away with it, and sometimes they get caught. When they are caught, the fines help fill the state's treasury. So if you come, be careful. We do have Yellowstone, and the Grand Tetons, and Devil's Tower, and many other wonderful things to see. It is a great tourist destination.

I've been busy composing a history of our Ladies Auxiliary, and it is coming together very nicely. Digging through the old scrapbooks has been fun. The dress code has changed greatly through the past 50 years. LOL

Let's keep fighting that good fight. :wave:

gailr42
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Jo, future generations of the Ladies Auxiliary are going to love your history. This is the sort of work that genealogists like to find. Even if it isn't about their relative, it is about the time in which they lived and helps so much to round out the story.

After all my discussion about fruit, I talked myself into buying a flat of expensive strawberries from a street vendor. They were just terrible. I should have known better. They are nice looking and come from Oxnard, CA, where strawberries are a major crop, but they weren't ripe. We mashed them up and added sugar for shortcake or whatever. My benchmark for fruit is that it has to taste good as is - no sugar added. These berries definitely didn't meet my standards.

As of this morning, I have lost 45 lbs. I am almost speechless - LOL - never completely speechless here. Our emergency water containers weigh 45 lbs and I have some difficulty dragging those things around. How did I ever manage all that weight on my body? Onward to a 50 lb. loss...

Amarantha2
02-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Congratulations, Gail. That is a fantastic loss. You are awesome! :wave:

indymama
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Amarantha, We live in northern Indiana, close to Michigan. We get to Indy a few times a year. It's changed so much from years ago. The downtown is really nice. Your exercise program sounds great! I own several Leslie Sansone tapes.

Gail, it sounds like you're doing great with your weight loss! I'm picky about my produce too. Last summer was SO dry around here that it was nearly impossible to get any good corn or tomatoes. I think we went 4 months without rain and we had temperatures in the 90's every day.

JoJo, my mother-in-law is 85 and she is doing weight watchers. She stays busy too, and like you, she doesn't enjoy night driving, especially in the winter. We're supporting each other in our healthy eating plans too.

I can imagine that it is tourists who drive too fast in Wyoming. It wouldn't be me, I am content to obey the speed limit!

This weekend may be challenging to eat well. We are going to our lake home and we've invited our son and his wife to be with us. They have both had stessful work weeks, so we thought we could entertain them a bit, and take them to dinner. I guess we should know by now that we need to be cautious with our choices in foods, but it's always a challenge.

gailr42
02-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.

I thought I would cruise by and mention that it is 70* here today. :D

JoJoJo2
02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Happy February:

Gail - Your knees are thanking you each day for the amount of weight you have lost. :bravo:

Indy - Stay strong. Weekends are often the most difficult time to stay on plan.

Amarantha2 - Keep walking, it is so good for you.

And to everyone, my eyesight has worsened to the extent that it is very difficult for me to read posts here at 3fc and respond to them. Age-related macular degeneration, the dry kind, is what my problem is. There is no cure, and not much treatment available at the present time. Anyway it is too difficult for me to continue to contribute to this thread, so I am going to say "Goodbye" to you all. Keep on keeping on, and you'll reach your weight-loss goals. It's difficult, but it can be done. And enjoy life - life is good!!! :wave:

Amarantha2
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
It makes me very sad to read your last post, JoJo. But you must do what is best for your well being.

Keep in touch. Be well.

gailr42
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I never expected such sad news this morning. Jo, you have been an inspiration to me, and I will really miss your upbeat posts. Best wishes to you and your husband in "Wonderful Wyoming".:hug:

brandonjohnston84
02-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I still have a long ways to go on my diet, but I really feel that I have found the answer this time. I know this is different for everyone, but for me, it's learning how to cook for yourself and to find ways to prepare the foods you love in a healthy way.

Amarantha2
02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Welcome BrandonJohnston84! :wave:

You know, as a person who loves to cook and is good at it but somehow is often too lazy to do it, I think you are right. I think it is an enormous help in a weight loss journey to cook for yourself and find healthy ways to prepare the foods you love.

Hope everyone has a great rest of the weekend.

I DO intend to cook for the week tomorrow. That helps so much.

gailr42
02-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi, Brandon! Yes, I agree that preparing the food you love is important. If I don't like it, I won't eat it, or worse I will eat it and then I will eat something else that I really want.

I just read on another thread where someone said to not look at food as entertainment or comfort. I agree about not using food as a tranquilizer, but I think I am always going to see food as entertainment, so I need to accommodate myself on this one. Healthy, low calorie meals don't have to be boring.

We eat out very rarely. The pizza at the Costco food court is my biggest temptation.

So, AM2, what have you cooked this weekend? I save the little trays from my occasional Lean Cuisines and make up my own dinners. I haven't done it recently and I have a lot of little black trays in my cupboard.

I am continuing on my journey to good health and continuing on my journey to declutter my house.

Amarantha2
02-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Gail, didn't cook at all, but hope the spirit moves me to make a BBQ chicken recipe I saw in Muscle & Fitness magazine, which I read mostly for recipes lol.

I am waiting around until time for my Sunday weigh-in & then for sun & then shopping.