Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/see tracker/170

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy Anyone else hit a wall?

I have been committed to IP since August 1. I don't cheat, I eat everything I am supposed to, and I walk several times each week. Since November, my weight loss has come to a painfully slow halt. For the first 4 months, I was averaging over 3.5lbs each week. Since November, my average loss has fallen to about 1lb per week. I am devastated! Anyone else in this boat? Any suggestions on how to get things moving again? Thanks!
slimmingitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #2  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

I am a newbie so I can't give much advice...But 1lb loss per week is great!! stay positive. Imagine how you would feel if it were a lb gained a week? A lb or even a point of a lb is still a loss!! Celebrate!

Based on other posts, maybe cut down on the walking a bit? I have seen a couple ppl say their weight loss stalls when they become more active.

Stay positive because you are doing great!
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #3  

You're not the same size. You've lost a lot of weight, so you won't lose as fast. Just don't STOP. Keep it up. I'm not on IP so I cannot comment on "shaking things up with your diet". Good luck to you Keep up the great work!
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #4  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

No ip for me either but I guess weight loss start to slow down. I have been at 132 since the 5th. Went down to 131 then regained. I was so happy to almost be out of the 130s guess I have to really really work for that though. Just be thrilled for that one pound. Maybe the harder u work for it the more u will appreciate it and think twice before gaining. I know I will. Best of luck.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #5  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Same thing with me. My losses are all over the place now. I seem to be in a pattern of 3 good weeks then 3 slow weeks. I'm hoping for a big loss on my Monday weigh in.

Do you have a coach? Some coaches have people do phase 2 &3 then back to phase 1 which does the trick.

I started to make sure I had more variety with my veggies to make sure I wasn't always eating too many carbs. Also lately when I eat red meat I usually eat 6 oz, but if I'm really hungry I have the full 8 oz.

The closer you get to goal, the fewer calories your body needs to burn to support daily activities. It's normal for the weight loss to slow. So make sure you are still measuring everything, getting all your water and oil for the day.

Hang in there! We'll make it to goal, slowly but surely.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Do yourself a big favor and educate yourself about the difference between fat loss and weight loss.

Fat loss is fairly linear and an equation of energy. If you're following the IP plan, you're losing fat.

Weight loss is fat + water. People (and especially women) can retain water for a long period of time for any number of reasons.

Taking your post for face value, you're probably due for a "woosh" soon which means you will drop a number of lbs seemingly overnight.

Bottom line is, stick with the program. You'll be fine.

However, lets say I am wrong. Lets say you're not retaining water. A trip to an endocrinologist for a full work up will be helpful. If you have good insurance - be proactive and go to the doctor now.

Either way - stick with the program. Don't give up.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #7  

SlimmingItDown: I don't recall you saying your weight loss has stopped. It has slowed.
We are going to have time when our losses are faster and times when they are slower. This is a process and you are on the right track. If scale watching is frustrating you, move to every-other-week for a while, especially if you are solidly in P1 and doing well.

We lose much more quickly when we have more to lose than we will lose as we have less to go. Weight loss IS frustrating. But so is living life as an obese person. As someone once said, "stay the course"
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/183/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingitdown View Post
I have been committed to IP since August 1. I don't cheat, I eat everything I am supposed to, and I walk several times each week. Since November, my weight loss has come to a painfully slow halt. For the first 4 months, I was averaging over 3.5lbs each week. Since November, my average loss has fallen to about 1lb per week. I am devastated! Anyone else in this boat? Any suggestions on how to get things moving again? Thanks!
First of all a big

You are doing great. If I do the math right, you have lost around 2.75 lbs/week which is probably better than average. You are doing great. Hang in there, you are doing great!
Alma4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #9  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

You are doing awesome and a pound is a pound so don't wish that away with thoughts that you should be losing more. Maybe your body just needs some catching up to do. Maybe your inches are shuffling in places you aren't measuring.

There are things you also need to examine. Are you keeping a good food diary? Have you snuck in too many extras? Some people find they don't do as well if they have too many Splenda products like WF or Mio in a day so try cutting back if that is something you do. Some people are also more carb sensitive so you could look at what packets you are using and have you changed those recently?

I have found for me that I need to shake up my calorie/fat content every few days. I do a tofu (very lean) day, a fish day or two, a chicken/turkey day or two then a higher fat lamb, beef or pork meal. I did a month of only really lean meat and found my losses slowly. I had a craving for lamb that I gave into and the next week my losses shot up. Because I track daily on Fatsecret I could tell right away what I did different and have been cycling proteins ever since. (note my higher calorie/fat days are still using the full 8oz of protein).

Post some sample menus and we can look at your situation further.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #10  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

I've lost 36.5 pounds in 22 weeks. 1.6 lbs a week and I've had two complete stall outs. Once for 5 weeks in the fall and now between the first week in December and now.
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #11  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Because I track daily on Fatsecret I could tell right away what I did different and have been cycling proteins ever since.
You do realize that correlation is not causation right?

I thought I had heard it all but protein cycling is a new one ...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #12  
Embracing the suck

Sorry for injecting science into this discussion but here is why you should not be devastated.

Again, I'm taking your post for face value.

Someone at your height and weight probably has a daily energy need of around 2000-2100 calories. Assuming a bit of metabolic slowdown you probably have daily energy needs around 1900-2000 calories.

The IP protocol has you consuming around 700-900 calories. This is a daily deficit of around 1000-1200 calories which means you should be losing about 2lbs of fat per week. These calculations are never precise - just a ball park.

In the last six weeks you've lost 1 lb a week for a total of six. Science tells us you should have lost 12.

Due to the amount of weight you lost for the first several months it is unlikely that you have any kind of hormonal challenge that would suddenly slow your weight loss. Therefore, the most likely reason this is happening is water retention and most likely you're due for a "whoosh".
Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I remember reading something in Dr. Tran's book about the body naturally wanting to store fat in the fall. Just something I read in his book, so take it for what it's worth!
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 251.5/196.5/137.5

I'm in the same boat for the past 2 weeks, but I'm willing to be patient. I'm doing this FOR ME. (seeing that I forgot to update my tracker. 0lbs last week, no difference this week at this point. weight ins on Saturdays)

As John says : Embrace the suck.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Last edited by vvei; 01-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.
vvei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

For me, that was November-half of December. I lost slowly and got frustrated. Then I "took two weeks off" for Christmas and all **** broke loose. Still losing that weight... lesson learned. So just keep on keepin' on and have faith that it'll pick up again, likely it will seem to be out of nowhere.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote