UK Fat Chicks - Zumba!

View Full Version : Zumba!

purplekitten7
01-15-2013, 04:48 AM
So I'm going along to my first Zumba class tomorrow night and I'm TERRIFIED!

Anyone been? Any advice/hints/tips?

I'm really self conscious and shy, and I'm not really sure what to expect

DoughDoh
01-15-2013, 06:02 AM
PK7 - I personally have never been but my sister goes and absolutely loves is! She finds its a great motivator too. I think it will take me a while to get to the class stage but am happy doing my biggest loser workout dvd at home ... which starts today so dont let me kid you on!
Let us know how you get on ... just be yourself, have fun and shake it!!

N :)

purplekitten7
01-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks DoughDoh, I've had a couple of attempts with the Wii game (I think I might lack all forms of rhythm and coordination) but I'm hoping having an instructor showing the moves might help!

My biggest worry is not being able to do it! But I've arranged to go a little early to have a chat with the instructor so she can see how she can help - if everyone there is as lovely and supportive as she seems then I'm sure I will be fine!

I'm dragging my sister along with my for moral support too, she's also got a weight problem but doesn't seem to want to changer her habits...hopefully I can help!

I will of course let you all know how it goes!

DoughDoh
01-15-2013, 06:13 AM
PK7 I am sure you will have a ball!
I have reached the stage I dont care what I look like when I work out - think of the end result!
Find something to help you focus, thats the main thing. It could maybe be the end result, that new dress you want to get into, the charity run you want to do, or my ultimate fave .... the look on peoples face when they see the difference in you, the fit and healthy confident you!

rant over! haha!

Enjoy your class, I wont say good luck again as you dont need it!

purplekitten7
01-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Thanks, I was going to a gym a few months ago and got into that frame of mind...but I think I need time to adjust in a new environment (gosh that makes me sound like a family pet or something)

My focus is to look fabulous at my wedding early next year! I wanna give everyone that wow look haha

(also, I love the Biggest Loser - I'm a proper addict! Let me know what the DVD is like!)

DoughDoh
01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Aw your getting hitched thats fab! Mr Dd and I got hitched in Oct last yr,it was great! I felt super confident up until then...and then his granny says to me on the hen do , week before wedding - I thought you'd have lost some weight for the big day.
So yeah, im here! haha!
I have only watched a couple episodes of BL on tele, seen the dvd in quidland and thought why not!
Enjoy the class, let me know how you both get on. And good for you trying to get your sister motivated.

purplekitten7
01-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Congrats! How's married life treating you? Ouch though, Granny sounds mean!

I love the USA Biggest Loser (maybe just because I like the male trainer....) but I've just bought the 30 day shred DVD which sounds savage by all accounts, so that might be an occasional kick up the bum!

DoughDoh
01-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Married life is great!
We are both in the getting fit and healthy club together really haha so it will keep us going. Mr Dd is also trying to stop smoking so its all go here!
I will let you know how the dvd is and you can fill me in on zumba, I may even give it a go myself!
Enjoy, talk soon!

purplekitten7
01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks. My fella is trying to bulk up so he's eating the opposite to me!
Lucky sod can't put on weight!

Enjoy your DVD :)

AlmostMe
01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
I was looking in on a Zumba class yesterday at my gym, there was a huge range of ability, age, energy level and body shape. You'll be fine! Everyone has a first time - just treat it as a learning opportunity.

That being said, I didn't go into the Zumba class ;-)

takingcontrol
01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
I've never done zumba, but about this time last year I was plucking up the courage to start gym classes, it took a while, I hated the first one and probably the second one too.......!

But, something changed, and I went 5 or 6 days a week for 6 months before I moved and couldn't go anymore. Now my gym classes are one of the things I miss the most about the UK! I NEVER EVER thought I'd be saying that seriously!

So, no matter how the first one is, keep at it for a while and then make up your mind :)

And give 30DS a go too, I'm working on it at the moment and it's certainly turning into my latest exercise addiction, I love it!

Which BL dvd do you have? I've got a few on my computer that I haven't looked at in ages, I might just have to dig them back out again :)

Good luck with the zumba!

purplekitten7
01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
I've just bought 30DS, it looks pretty savage from everyones comments but I'm really excited - can't wait to try it out!

Cofa Tree
01-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Good luck with tonight's Zumba class purplekitten7! Let us know how you get on...

takingcontrol
01-16-2013, 06:14 AM
good luck for zumba and defo give 30DS a try, I'm actually addicted!!

purplekitten7
01-17-2013, 04:06 AM
So...I went to Zumba last night, and it was...GREAT!

I really enjoyed it and everyone there was lovely and supportive! I even managed to keep up for the whole hour :) So I will definitely be going again next week! Thanks everyone for giving me the confidence to go along, I'm really glad I didn't chicken out! :D

AlmostMe
01-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Hurray!!! Keep going and soon you'll be rocking it. Really. Personally I think there's no greater satisfaction than seeing some skinny gal be amazed by a fat chick's fitness when you keep going and they can't.

Last night I did over an hour's worth of hard-core fitness with my club's women's rugby team. Yes, I struggled with 46th-50th leg lift. (!!!!) But I can remember a time when I couldn't do three. Yes, I flagged a bit on some of the speed drills. But I am one of the heaviest gals there (the heaviest?) And then there were some that I actually excelled at (strength based) while those fast, skinny backs were struggling. :-) And because it's a team, the fast skinny back who was partnered with me helped my through those murderous lateral leg lifts.

purplekitten7
01-17-2013, 05:25 AM
Well done you!
I'm amazed I managed to keep up, because it was the first session the instructor was doing after Christmas - she gave two options to some of the moves, the less energetic one and the very bouncy hard core one, and I'm too stubborn to pick the easy option so I bounced around like a lunatic and felt really good seeing some of the "regulars" pick the easy option, knowing I would always pick the harder one - think of all those extra calories I burned compared to them ;) turns out being stubborn can be great for losing weight! haha

AlmostMe
01-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Ha! I'd definitely have picked the easy option as I really struggle with those dance move type classes. I love aqua classes because only the instructor knows I'm doing all the moves cack-handed and a half step out of synch.

purplekitten7
01-17-2013, 07:33 AM
The instructor has a rule - if you lose the steps don't stop just move around in the vague direction everyone else is and jump around like a fool, doing the steps wrong burns more calories than stopping to watch and pick it up again! So I'm not sure I was 100% correct step wise, but I did move around a lot in the same direction as anyone else so I'm taking that as a win!

I'm thinking of starting aqua aerobics soon once I've joined the gym near me (then it's free) but I'm trying to get into a routine with one thing before I pile everything on at once otherwise I'm sure they'll all just stop happening!

AlmostMe
01-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Aqua is good, but it's easy to be lazy. Doesn't sound like you'll have that problem. I love it when I'm sore from something else or injured or have generally over-trained.

purplekitten7
01-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, my logic is that even on days when I can't face the gym/zumba/anything intense, surely I can manage jumping in a pool or swimming a few laps - we'll see how that works out! Even lazy aqua is better than the couch afterall!

Cofa Tree
01-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Well done purplekitten7, bet you felt fab afterwards!

And blimey AlmostMe, that's some hardcore strength you've got going on there!

purplekitten7
01-17-2013, 09:15 AM
I did cofa tree, so fab in fact I jogged home (its only 10 minutes away and the fact it was FREEZING gave me extra incentive but still)

DoughDoh
01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Firstly, I have to say WELL DONE! PK7! Sounds like you really enjoyed zumba,put alot into it and got alot back out of it, which is great!
You other folks sound like your really getting into the fitness thing seriously too...and to that I take my hat off!
I however, am not going to lie. I did intend to start afresh this week and get fired up ready to kick my own *** - but alas, i have the flu, pmt, im stuck at work and im suffering the after effects of trying the BL workout dvd for the first time ....ouch!
I may not post on here alot but reading your posts even gives me a wee lift!
keep it up!

purplekitten7
01-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Doughdoh, I'm happy to know we're helping (even a little), flu sucks :( I also have PMT and am being a complete b**** to my lovely and very supportive partner, which thankfully he is being very lovely and supportive about - how did I get so lucky eh?!

If you're hurting that means you did some good...I think...I hope...I was a little bit stiff this morning but it's mostly gone now, can just feel my leg muscles being used a bit more than normal! Have a nice hot bath and give yourself a bit of TLC! I'm sure you'll feel heaps better!

I got carried away with all the excitement of 30DS - seeing everyone saying such good things about it etc and I ordered it online, it arrived today and I planned to do it tonight, however I must confess as my afternoon at work progresses I feel less and less inclined to do it, so there is a chance I might be lazy and skip it...I will 'fess up tomorrow if I do skip it! But I've been completely on track with my calories so far this week so I'm not gonna beat myself up too much this time :)