Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #1  

Default Bpd

I was diagnosed this past summer with bipolar II disorder. I'm the drug lamotragine and I'm feeling good! My moods are stable. I just kind of have a rant...I'm the kind of person who really doesn't care what people think. I have thick skin and I'm pretty confident.

However, one thing that really gets to me is being called crazy. Not just like "oh Emily, you so crazy!" but like when someone calls me crazy and actually means it...or implies that everyone with BPD (or whatever disorder) is actually insane. It really gets to me and it hurts. I feel like I'll never be taken seriously with this condition (the only people who know are my family, one of my roommates, and my closest friends).

I went to see Silver Linings Playbook last night, and afterwards went on IMDB to check out the message boards to see what others were saying about it...the amount of hatred towards people with this disorder is unreal.

What are your guys' experiences with this?
runawaymango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #2  
Doing something for me!

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/125-135

Height: 5'4"

I haven't had any backlash from the diagnosis that have noticed. In fact I get all the time how the meds have made a much easier happier person to be around. But I don't broadcast I have Bipolar disorder either.
PageLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I don't know about bipolar disorder specifically (although my mom has it), but I have personal experience with depression. I think that well into my mid-20s I thought it must be very stigmatizing to be on anti-depressants. Then once I was on them and they helped me so much, instantly, I got over that pretty quickly (within a year I'd say). Then I adopted the mentality that depression is very much a result of physiological processes (even when it begins with a specific situation), just like any illness. I like the cancer analogy...would you make fun of someone because they had cancer? Would you tell them to just decide to feel better? No? Then don't do that with mental illness either.

Some people will never get that. They will say you just need to get over depression or whatever, often because "they were able to" (honestly I don't think anyone who says that has actually experienced true depression).

There will always be ignorant people in the world, and they will always flock to Internet message boards like those on IMDB. I think you just need to keep doing what you're doing. I'm glad your medicine is working! It is also still pretty soon after your diagnosis, and I bet your thick skin will come to protect your feelings in this matter too.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217.5 / 215.5 /150

Height: 5'1

Talking

I myself have been diagnosed with BPD over 5 years ago. I have always had a hard time losing weight because of it. But, then I also have OCD so one one hand I obsess about my weight. It constantly is going through my head of how fat I am and then on the other have a hard time finding self control of the food I eat. I can not blame it on the Bipolar although I try to at times. I know truthfully It comes with self control. That is one thing I have a hard time dealing with it. I am thick skinned, very few comments get to me anymore about have "mental issues". I have come along way from who I once was mentally and you as a person have to get that attitude as well cause noone knows you like you know yourself. Sorry to rant so much any motivation I can give to others on that subject I will do. Hang in there ..
coachchic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/176/120

Height: 5'6 3/4"

Just to let you know bpd is borderline personality disorder. Don't worry I used to make that mistake too. I was diagnosed bipolar I disordered over a year ago and I just recently got put on that same med. Really helped me not be a hungry animal like on the other ones. And yea there is a lot of hate. It's because they don't understand it. I can't tell you how many people have told me how people like me have mood changes within minutes/hours... So irritating.

Last edited by bipolarfemme; 01-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.
bipolarfemme is offline   Reply With Quote