Looking Good, Feeling Great - I have a question.

View Full Version : I have a question.

mimsyborogoves
01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Is there a person on the planet who wears something besides skinny jeans? Because when I went shopping the other day, damn near every single store had nothing but skinny jeans. Now, I appreciate a nice skinny jean as much as the next person, but why can't I have a choice? It's like I either get skinny jeans or, forgive me, grandma jeans. What gives!

I did find a nice pair of flare legged jeans from Delia's for 11.99. Score!

Babybat
01-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Of course there is, it's just because of a on going fad.
oh silly fashion trends when will they end lol
I can find plenty of normal jeans, maybe you should shop at other stores?

Mozzy
01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I prefer flair... I also buy at the goodwill :-)

livelaughlovesunshin
01-15-2013, 04:40 AM
I prefer flair pants too!! I will not walk out of the house in skinny jeans.

Misti in Seattle
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
LOL well some of us are very thankful! I have a big waist and stomach, very small thighs, butt and skinny legs... and have not been able to buy jeans... or ANY pants... in years that did not have "elephant legs" on me. FINALLY I can now wear them... except on me they are not the leggings/jeggings they are supposed to be (and which I would love to wear) but fit like regular pants/jeans. :)

So I guess it all depends on your perspective.

Magrat
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm thankful for skinny jeans too. I'm short and wear small sizes but most jeans are too long for my ridiculously short legs. Skinny jeans are the only kind I don't have to hem.

Psychic
01-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I am not a fan of skinny jeans. They feel uncomfortable to me. I tend to be able to find comfortable flare-legged Levi or LEI jeans at Walmart. I also love bargain hunting at Goodwill when it comes to jeans.

kateleestar
01-15-2013, 01:54 PM
I wear American Eagle jeans, and I have no issue ever finding the non-skinny ones, lol. :)

MochaLatteMom
01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I absolutely love skinny jeans, but at this weight with my height and build, they are not very flattering on me right now. My legs look like two large hamhocks with boots on. LOL. But I do like the look. However, since I don't wear them now, I haven't had any problem finding other types of jeans. I usually get jeans from Old Navy or New York and Company, and they have different cuts besides skinny jeans.

elvislover324
01-15-2013, 05:19 PM
I absolutely love skinny jeans, but at this weight with my height and build, they are not very flattering on me right now. My legs look like two large hamhocks with boots on. LOL. But I do like the look. However, since I don't wear them now, I haven't had any problem finding other types of jeans. I usually get jeans from Old Navy or New York and Company, and they have different cuts besides skinny jeans.

Mine look like hamhocks too! It could be that it's because I bought a red pair though lol.

I am so out of touch with fashion that I didn't know what "skinny" jeans meant when I bought them. I did try them on before I bought them and the waist, legs, etc. fit so I thought I was good to go, taking off the tags etc.

What the heck kind of shoes do you all wear with them? They don't look good with boots (they are too "skinny" to go down to my ankle over the boots. They don't look good with my favorite clogs as they bunch up on top of them (if that makes any sense). My calves can't handle knee high boots yet with pants tucked in so I can't try that yet.

Hopefully by the time it's sandal season again I will already be too skinny for my skinny jeans!

Syckgirlsfv
01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I wear American Eagle jeans, and I have no issue ever finding the non-skinny ones, lol. :)

what style of American Eagle do you get? I'm asking because I am curvy...I carry most of my weight in my lower half. I went looking at AE jeans before and they all looked like skinny jeans to me so I left the store! I found the perfect jeans around 7 years ago...Lucky Brand Easy Rider. They are mid-rise, relaxed hip and thigh...perfect for me! BUT, of course, they stopped selling them in stores and now only have them online. This wouldn't be an issue if they still made them the same, though. I got a pair online and I don't like them :(

BUT, I do have like 10 pairs of them because I began buying them on ebay, used, a few years back and I love them used so much better! Now I am a few pairs short because of wear and tear, and even though I still have many pairs they don't all fit the same. Hence the need to lose at least 10 pounds in order to be comfortable in them again. :woops:

merilung
01-15-2013, 05:34 PM
What the heck kind of shoes do you all wear with them? They don't look good with boots (they are too "skinny" to go down to my ankle over the boots. They don't look good with my favorite clogs as they bunch up on top of them (if that makes any sense). My calves can't handle knee high boots yet with pants tucked in so I can't try that yet.

I wear mine either with boots + pants tucked in, sometimes with leg warmers over the top, or with ballet flats.

elvislover324
01-15-2013, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=mimsyborogoves;4590819]I have a question. QUOTE]

I just have to say, your profile pic goes perfect with this topic. Everytime I click on it to read the updates, it looks like you really are pondering the question and it makes me smile. :)

MochaLatteMom
01-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Mine look like hamhocks too! It could be that it's because I bought a red pair though lol.

I am so out of touch with fashion that I didn't know what "skinny" jeans meant when I bought them. I did try them on before I bought them and the waist, legs, etc. fit so I thought I was good to go, taking off the tags etc.

Hopefully by the time it's sandal season again I will already be too skinny for my skinny jeans!

Elvislover324. I would wear them with ballet flats, but I really would want to wear them with pointy-toe pumps (when I reach my goal). I also cant wear tall boots as I suffer from the same calf problem. But when I get there (goal weight), there will be no stopping me. LOL:D

mimsyborogoves
01-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Well I will say I have found other cuts of jeans out there, it just seems that's all anyone had in the mall the other day. Also, I was looking to spend no more than $25 on them, and finding the right price was a chore in itself! I work at the mall so it's easy to scoot around the stores on my lunches or when I get off in the afternoon.

But don't get me wrong, I love skinnies! I'm wearing a brand new pair of neon green ones right now with black flats. However, some outfits just look better with a wider leg jean, and bootcuts often are still too slim in the leg anymore. Where have y'all found good flare leg jean in a nice dark wash?

mimsyborogoves
01-15-2013, 06:57 PM
what style of American Eagle do you get? I'm asking because I am curvy...I carry most of my weight in my lower half. I went looking at AE jeans before and they all looked like skinny jeans to me so I left the store! I found the perfect jeans around 7 years ago...Lucky Brand Easy Rider. They are mid-rise, relaxed hip and thigh...perfect for me! BUT, of course, they stopped selling them in stores and now only have them online. This wouldn't be an issue if they still made them the same, though. I got a pair online and I don't like them :(

BUT, I do have like 10 pairs of them because I began buying them on ebay, used, a few years back and I love them used so much better! Now I am a few pairs short because of wear and tear, and even though I still have many pairs they don't all fit the same. Hence the need to lose at least 10 pounds in order to be comfortable in them again. :woops:

When I was a size 14, I bought 2 pairs of AE jeans in the "Artist" style. Flared leg and soft, stretchy material -- they were super flattering and easily became my favorite jeans. I went to buy them again this go 'round but they didn't have my size in my favorite wash. :(

LockItUp
01-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Target has a good selection of non-skinnies, the juniors ones in my area are under $25 and the womens are just a tad over $25. I like their bootcut pants. I just don't look right in skinny jeans, I've tried them, they look weird.

Radiojane
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I have a feeling I would look like tweedle dee and tweedle dum from Alice in Wonderland in skinny jeans. It's not a trend I'm in a hurry to be a part of.

$25 for jeans? God I can't wait to be at goal weight. I haven't paid under $60 bucks in years.

bargoo
01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I find straight leg jeans by Lee, they have various leg styles and at waist below waist etc.
I am short and take the advice of "What Not To Wear", a straight leg jean in a dark wash, makes me look almost like I have long legs, and they have a nice trim appearance.

owlsteazombies
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Levi's 590 Bootcut jeans are amazing ladies. And on sale right now for $45.

Syckgirlsfv
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Levi's 590 Bootcut jeans are amazing ladies. And on sale right now for $45.

men's or women's? For some reason I never really like the women's Levi's...I'm not built like a rectangle. I have hips and thighs...but not a belly. And these days the low rise jeans are just TOO low, which is why everybody walks around with muffin tops!:D

mimsyborogoves
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
And these days the low rise jeans are just TOO low, which is why everybody walks around with muffin tops!:D

You're telling me!! I don't even mind low rise jeans, but I tried on a pair of jeans at Wet Seal, and they barely even TOUCHED my hips. I'm sorry, but I like my jeans to be a bit higher than my hoo-ha! I can't believe the teenagers wear that crap -- how on earth is it comfortable??

Syckgirlsfv
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
You're telling me!! I don't even mind low rise jeans, but I tried on a pair of jeans at Wet Seal, and they barely even TOUCHED my hips. I'm sorry, but I like my jeans to be a bit higher than my hoo-ha! I can't believe the teenagers wear that crap -- how on earth is it comfortable??

LOL exactly! I ordered a pair of track pants from Puma and when I got them, they barely have any room between the crotch and the so-called waistline! I don't even feel comfortable with things that low because they feel like they need to be pulled up all the time - especially to work out in!

I at least like my jeans and other types of pants to hit me a couple inches below my belly button, but at least either right on the hips or a tiny bit over. I can't even see really skinny young girls being comfortable in such low pants. :?:

Radiojane
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
I actually watch shows from the 90's where the women are wearing high waisted jeans and I think on most thin women it actually looks better than the low rise, but that's just my opinion.

I have a heck of a time finding good jeans even at my size. They're all low rise. There were low rise in my size when I was over 400 pounds. I don't get that at all because it was NOT flattering, and all my bigger friends said the same thing.

owlsteazombies
01-16-2013, 04:31 PM
LOL exactly! I ordered a pair of track pants from Puma and when I got them, they barely have any room between the crotch and the so-called waistline! I don't even feel comfortable with things that low because they feel like they need to be pulled up all the time - especially to work out in!

I at least like my jeans and other types of pants to hit me a couple inches below my belly button, but at least either right on the hips or a tiny bit over. I can't even see really skinny young girls being comfortable in such low pants. :?:

Women's! These are mid rise, and are cut so they actually cover your butt. I really love them. But they're women's only, but the curve cut in women's is excellent as well and cut for a booty and hips.

mimsyborogoves
01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Women's! These are mid rise, and are cut so they actually cover your butt. I really love them. But they're women's only, but the curve cut in women's is excellent as well and cut for a booty and hips.

Is Women's the brand or are you suggesting I shop in the women's section? Lol I'd probably shop in the women's section more if the washes were a bit more appealing. This is my ideal style, right here (I'd shop Alloy more but can't afford the shipping :( )

http://www.alloyapparel.com/product/paris+blues+dark+flare+jean+173434.do?sortby=ourPi cks

This is what I bought the other day:

http://store.delias.com/product/bailey+low-rise+flare+jean+charlotte+wash+158157.do?sortby=ou rPicks

Syckgirlsfv
01-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Is Women's the brand or are you suggesting I shop in the women's section? Lol I'd probably shop in the women's section more if the washes were a bit more appealing. This is my ideal style, right here (I'd shop Alloy more but can't afford the shipping :( )

http://www.alloyapparel.com/product/paris+blues+dark+flare+jean+173434.do?sortby=ourPi cks

This is what I bought the other day:

http://store.delias.com/product/bailey+low-rise+flare+jean+charlotte+wash+158157.do?sortby=ou rPicks

I think she means women's LEVIS :dizzy:

mimsyborogoves
01-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Oh! I actually know the cut shes talking about now that I went back and read her post more thoroughly. The 590s are only in women's sizes, aka plus sizes. What kind of Levi's have y'all tried and liked? I can't find a cut that "wow"'s me.

owlsteazombies
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
The levi's misses sizes come in a bold curve shape, those are awesome. Completely awesome.

LRH
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Ellen Tracy made a nice pair of full leg dark-wash denim that are great. Macy's carried them for a while--don't know if they're still available...

ghost
01-21-2013, 02:38 AM
I have a pair of Levi's 528, they are a curvy boot cut and I am so in love with them that I've worn a hole in the inseam....of course. They are very flattering on my huge arse, lol! They might be a junior size as they say size 17. Got them on amazon and they were not so expensive that I remember the price ;)

Alyj89
01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
I fell in love with a pair from Torrid recently, but I did end up returning them :( they stretched out way too much after a few days wear..however maybe a smaller size would work.

Anyway it was called a rocker flare. they were very dark washed. I so wish they hadn't stretched because they looked killer and I got more compliments in them than ever! However they were on the clearence rack and it looked like they were being phased out for skinnies so maybe out of luck. :(

Also, they were still like $50.

I've recently been buying mine from sears. they carry a brand called canyon river. They're very nice an flattering on me ! they have a decent flare. and it seems like they are always on sale at sears for $20. I have several pair and I really like them. there are lots of washes to choose from and they have "curvy" fits, regular and skinny. and curvy skinnies.

ChickieChicks
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I wish the skinny jean fad would go away! They are unflattering on almost everyone. I know women who look AMAZING at just about every size range. They dress in a flattering way for their figure. Skinny jeans make most people look "tweedle dee" as a previous poster said! Not flattering! I do think they look better when "balanced" with a tall boot. I am a pear shape, even at a size 2P, and skiing jeans just draw even more attention tot he fact that I am much larger on the thighs and hips. Just my two cents!

sontaikle
01-21-2013, 04:08 PM
ON actually has rockstars in boot cut and flare. My mom was thrilled when we found that out, because she loves those jeans but prefers boot cut over skinnies.

I picked up a pair of flare legged ones in an ON outlet and they are AWESOME. I love the rockstars skinnies and the boot cut and flare fit nice as well (and they're comfy!). The rockstars are the only jean style that I was able to wear in all sizes I've been!

owlsteazombies
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
The dreamer from oldnavy online fits really well and has a mid rise thats higher in the back

Jennifer1966
01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Loft has fantastic jeans! Different fits and styles. Their sales are very good too. I love my Loft skinny jeans in the modern cut.