100 lb. Club - If you had 1 lb per week loss guaranteed, would you take it?

April Snow
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM
No, this isn't some phony thing I am trying to sell you! :lol: This is just for fun, sort of like dreaming about what you'd do if you won the lottery.

I was just thinking about this and whether I would take a guaranteed 1 lb per week loss for a year or whether I would want to try to see if I could do better on my own. You have to stay on your plan, not randomly lose weight while eating whatever you wanted, but you'd lose a pound a week, no more stalls and plateaus and ups and downs. Effort in would equal weight lost, although at a relatively slow pace.

Last time I tried losing weight, I lost 60ish lbs in about 6 months and I think I would have said "No way to 50 lbs in a year, I can do better!" But then I stopped sticking with my plan and the weight came back. So I think that yeah, I'd take this deal if I could get it, knowing that I would just have to keep plugging away but a year from now, I'd be guaranteed to be 52 less than I am today. And I haven't had any other time in my life where I've been able to make that happen.

But the good part of this fantasy is that I really do have the power to stick with this for a year. And hopefully, that will mean 52 lbs lighter - maybe even more, maybe a little less. But the sticking with it part is what I am trying to focus on.

the shiv
01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Well... I'm kind of doing this now. I've been through the whole Atkins diet, 1 stone in a fortnight, going to extremes thing because I tend towards impatience. I've been officially doing instinctive eating since 10 dec, and I've lost 6lbs, so that's approx 1lb a week. It feels soooo slow! Just think, another month or 2 until I can go down a dress size... But the whole extreme dieting approach is disastrous for me, so I'll take being rid of my 100lbs in 2 years over being the same size or bigger in 2 years! And as I'm not depriving myself at all, so it's easy to say I could do this for life :)

So, short answer ;) Yes, I would absolutely do this! But not if it involves a "plan". That's just personal for me though, I've seen plans work great for others.

April Snow
01-14-2013, 06:23 PM
just to clarify, "plan" = actively working towards weight loss. I didn't really mean it had to be a specific book or program, but the concept of this fantasy deal is that it still involves effort and you can't spend a year eating chocolate and chips, etc. and still come out 50 lbs lighter.

I guess I need some help with the idea of fantasy, though, huh? Because it sure would be nice to spend the next year eating anything I wanted and still end up 50 lbs lighter.....

the shiv
01-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I understand :)

I find I don't want to eat junk as much as I used to, which is helping! It's been my mission recently to find out which healthy foods I LOVE, so I can just eat those if I can't work out what I'm really hungry for.

I'm happy to have lost 6lbs in about 5wks, but I don't feel any smaller yet which is frustrating, but these days I'd happily go for slow, sustainable weight loss. Oh to be 52lbs lighter in a year! If we're talking fantasy talk, what I really want is a time machine ;) Ok I'll be a year older, but I'll take that trade off ;)

Daimere
01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
That's my goal this year. I want to lose just 50 pounds. That will get me to my lowest weight and I could fit into all those clothes again. I figure if I just stick to it, I can do this. I figure that just having a slow goal like this, then I could keep the motivation going. Whereas if I had a 50 pounds goal in 25 weeks, I'd be more ahhhh and stressed for it.

the shiv
01-14-2013, 06:38 PM
I find it helpful to think back to x amount of time ago, ie this might take 2yrs so, 2yrs ago I was... about the same size I am now! And then I think I wish I'd started this then, then think ok well I'll start it now.

Might help? :)

Babybat
01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I think I'm losing more than 1lb per week right now... around 2 and sometimes its 3lbs per week...just depends.

I'll stick to this for now! :D

Fatness
01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I am very hard on myself and since I lost over a 100 pounds. I notice my weigh lost has slowed down. So, one pound a week is good for me!

smashlers
01-14-2013, 10:04 PM
But I want it nowwwww! Just kidding, channeling my inner Veruca Salt. I would take the promised 1lb and be happy!

Mozzy
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Definitely!!!

berryblondeboys
01-14-2013, 10:24 PM
The first year at this - no way.
Second year at this - sure - I only had 15-20 to go and I gave myself all year to get there.

What happened? I ended up GAINING over the last bit of the year and didn't lose a thing! Should have taken that guarantee.

I'm entering the third year of this - I have 30 pounds to go would I take a guarantee of 1 lb a week? No. Why? I know a lot of it is water weight from the holidays and I know that if I stick to it and push myself I could lose it faster.

I know the routine now. I'm fit (or fairly fit). I just need to keep my eating in control and stay away from simple carbs. If I do that? I should drop more than a pound a week. I want to lose this 30 by the end of April.

mpstaton
01-14-2013, 10:46 PM
I would take it....I have never lost more than 30 lbs and have never sustained any weight loss. Maybe Ideal Protein will be different for me. So far, so good.

KittyKatFan
01-14-2013, 11:26 PM
I would take you up on it. Losing weight is hard, and it is easy to go back up. So I would take the risk-free 1pound per week.

ASaladandaDream
01-15-2013, 04:58 AM
Hmm interesting question. My immediate response is "no, I could do better!" Then, I think how I started losing weight this time last year, fell off the wagon and maintained for a year. It would be nice to be 52 lbs lighter right about now...

Im learning slow and steady wins the race. My weeks are often up and down, itd be nice to have the consistent weight loss. Effort in, and guaranteed results!

synger
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I would definitely take it. One of my mantras when I feel I'm losing too slowly is "ONLY one pound a week... ends up with over 50 pounds gone by this time next year"

And I've been plateaued (or going back up) for months now. I need to start going DOWN again!

Pink Hurricane
01-15-2013, 10:49 AM
But I want it nowwwww! Just kidding, channeling my inner Veruca Salt. I would take the promised 1lb and be happy!

AAAAHHHHHHHHH LOVE VERUCA SALT!!!!!!

But back to the original topic, yes I would take the 1lb per week over losing 5lbs then gaining 10 in a month, or whatever crazy stuff happens along the way. :lol:

April Snow
01-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Interesting that so many of us would opt for slow and steady - with a guarantee, of course!

But I think I am going to try to remember this concept when I do hit the normal ups and downs, and think about longer term, and where I can be after a year if I stick with it, even if I'm not seeing a loss every week. One more reason to convince myself to stick with it. For me, that is the bigger hurdle than the weight loss itself.

Elladorine
01-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Let's see . . . I started my reboot on March 5th of 2012, which means this week I've entered my 46th week of being on-plan. I've lost 43 pounds in that time, which is an average of .95 per week. I'll definitely take that over the gain I had last year. ;) And if I look at my overall loss of 135 pounds, my average weekly loss is more like .29! :lol:

I think the only real "guarantee" we have throughout a commitment of fitness and better eating is that we're working toward better health. And that's ok! We really can't control the rate at which we lose, only certain factors that contribute to our overall health. I spent a good part of last summer throwing tantrums because I was watching my weight too closely to notice the overall trend was indeed going down. And when some stressful times hit me, well . . . that's when I gave up and gained a good 25 pounds, the only significant gain I've had in the past 9 years. I'm so glad I got a hold of myself earlier this year to undo the damage in a reasonable, sensible manner.

I still have about 75 pounds to lose. And I would love, love, love for 52 of them to be gone in a year. It might happen, it might not. But it's a fun and somewhat realistic goal for me, especially given my progress this year . . . as long as I don't give up and stay on-plan. I'm anxious to see where I am in less than two months when I hit my anniversary, and I'm even more anxious to see my hard work continuing to pay off. :^:

Yeah, it kinda sucks that I can't seem to lose any faster, and that I don't lose every single week no matter how strictly I stay on-plan. It can also be hard to see people whining about "only" losing 10 pounds per month (sure wish I could do that so I could be at goal by now). But it is what it is. I've had to learn the hard way to focus on the health benefits rather than any "guaranteed" number. ;)

betsy2013
01-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Guaranteed just by eating the way I'm supposed to? You bet. While I'm doing great right now on losing weight, at my weight, I've obviously had some real dieting challenges. Now, if you make that dream lose a pound a week and a promise that it will stay off forever if I continue to eat correctly, now we're talking pipe dreams! :)

Trazey34
01-15-2013, 08:12 PM
heck, if you guaranteed it would STAY OFF I would have taken 1/2 lb a week back in the day LOL

linJber
01-16-2013, 12:47 AM
I'd go for the guarantee that it would stay off. Now stop and think about what April proposed - YOU STAY ON PLAN ans lose a pound a week. I don't think I'd take that bet. For most people, most of the time, staying on plan will result in more than that. YOU STAY ON PLAN. that's the trick. To losing. To keeping it off. I know that there are weeks we stay on plan and lose nothing, but they are balanced by the weeks we stay on plan and lose 4 pounds.

In your fantasy, April, you hit on the answer we all know is out there - the key is staying on plan.

Lin

Kitcherella
01-16-2013, 04:19 AM
Where do I sign up? ;)

SmallSteps
01-16-2013, 06:34 AM
It can also be hard to see people whining about "only" losing 10 pounds per month (sure wish I could do that so I could be at goal by now).

Don't you just want to crawl through the computer and smack those people? :dizzy:

April Snow
01-16-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd go for the guarantee that it would stay off. Now stop and think about what April proposed - YOU STAY ON PLAN ans lose a pound a week. I don't think I'd take that bet. For most people, most of the time, staying on plan will result in more than that. YOU STAY ON PLAN. that's the trick. To losing. To keeping it off. I know that there are weeks we stay on plan and lose nothing, but they are balanced by the weeks we stay on plan and lose 4 pounds.

In your fantasy, April, you hit on the answer we all know is out there - the key is staying on plan.

Lin
Oh, I know. It all comes down to staying on plan. But I think that knowing you'd get that scale reward every single week would be a good incentive. Those 4 lb weeks feel great, but the 0 weeks, or weeks where you drift upwards, despite being truly on plan are so frustrating. I think that's why in some ways it feels like knowing you just need to slog through and you'll lose 50 lbs guaranteed feels easier than dealing with the unknown even though staying on plan for the same amount of time could often result in a larger loss.

lunarsongbird
01-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Oh, Absolutely- I'd take it! In fact- 1 pound a week until March 2014 (when DH and I are going to commence the baby making!)- is all I need to do to get me into a healthier weight range. I did the math before I started the journey.

For me, this journey is just as much about wellness as it is about weight-loss. I'm trying to bulk up my nutrient stores. I'm learning to make my own kombucha, soak my grains, make my own yogurt. I try to get bone broth into my diet everyday for the natural gelatin and glucosamine. I also need to start eating liver :-/ SOO nutrient dense.

Part of me thinks if I could just get into those habits of eating real food- that the weight will come off on it's own. I guess we will see!

April Snow
01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
What is "bone broth"?

lunarsongbird
01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Bone broth is essentially the broth you get after throwing your chicken bones (or beef or fish) into a stock pot (or crock pot) and let it simmer for a few hours to a day. Some people do continuous broth where they just add water to their crock pot each day and then get a new chicken once a week.

Bone broth is full of WONDERFUL things for you, such as glucosamine, which helps all the joints and tendons in the body. My knee pain goes away when I'm doing bone broth. Bone broth is a natural source of collagen, which helps with hair, skin and cellulite. Gelatin helps heal your gut if you have been abusing it for years with processed foods. It also contains glycine, which helps with detoxifying.

Bone broth is my friend. :)

s rosa
01-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Oh, I know. It all comes down to staying on plan. But I think that knowing you'd get that scale reward every single week would be a good incentive. Those 4 lb weeks feel great, but the 0 weeks, or weeks where you drift upwards, despite being truly on plan are so frustrating. I think that's why in some ways it feels like knowing you just need to slog through and you'll lose 50 lbs guaranteed feels easier than dealing with the unknown even though staying on plan for the same amount of time could often result in a larger loss.

I think this is what would seal the deal for me. My brain knows that if I do my workouts and stick to my diet, eventually I *will* lose weight. But sometimes that seems to get lost in translation (sometimes probably being when I'm really craving ______ ) and I get convinced that I'm just going to be fat forever so I might as well enjoy my food. But knowing, guaranteed, that I will lose that 1 lb if I stick with it, would be what convinces me to actually stick with it.

Brains and stomachs are such tricky things :lol

Teresa66
01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
I would take it without looking back and be VERY grateful.

Elladorine
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Don't you just want to crawl through the computer and smack those people? :dizzy:
:lol:

misspixie
01-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Only if I knew what the plan was. Cause if it was a lonnnng grinding plan full of stuff I hated but guaranteed 1 lb per week instead of a shorrrrrt grinding plan full of stuff I hated but gets me 2-3 lbs per week on average, I'd do the short painful thing.
Ive done both, I prefer shortterm pain personally, cause maintenance is gonna be hard whether youve lost it long term or short term.
I honestly believe that maintenance is completely independent from how you lose the weight to a large degree. Long slow weight loss doesnt guarantee youll keep it off been there had it happen. Neither does quick weight loss. What keeps it off is if you have a long term maintenance plan which includes an eating plan and weighing every day with a maximum high weight number and minimum number with action when you hit either number.

AlmostMe
01-17-2013, 03:48 AM
I reckon if I stick to plan - mindful eating - then I will lose a bit more than 52 lbs in a year. But I would gladly take this guarantee if it meant I actually stuck to plan. :-)