General Diet Plans and Questions - Ways to ditch the water weight, PLEASE

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Okay, I need some advice on how to lose the water weight. I have been dieting literally for years with no success. My doctors have told me that I'm doing all the "Right" things and claim they don't know why it isn't working. Anyway, I know that until I can ditch the fluid, I won't be able to even touch the fat to lose it. I drink enough water to drown every day, I do not add any salt to my food, I have given up all carbonated drinks, I've given up processed foods, I've done every diet out there (Including the waterfall diet) and still the results are the same. Nope, wait, not true. When I did weight watches I GAINED five pounds every week that I did it. I only learned after I quit that weight gain isn't as uncommon as one might think on the diet.

So what are some more ways to lose the water? I'll admit that I'm beyond frustrated. It doesn't help that my hubby has lost more than 80 pounds since July and he thinks that whatever works for him should work for me too. :?::?::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

MadProfessor
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Low sodium, low meat, low gluten, sleep at least 8 hours, exercise not more than 2 times a weeks - that's all you can do to decrease your water retention.

Tweetypie127
01-14-2013, 10:59 AM
That must be very frustrating for you. Hard to understand why your not losing weight, with or without excess water.
If your drinking plenty that's great. As above post said low salt.
Are you exercising?

The only other thing I can think and only you will know the answer is are you being honest with yourself and what you are eating?
For example I know people who have been having salads all week but can't lose-yet they have added fatty dressings.
Sometimes a busy lifestyle can not help with dieting as we unknowly eat the wrong things, and bad things but we forget we eat them.
The best way I find is when I write down what I eat and be honest with myself.

Another suggestion which I know works for me is low carb. Cut out the processed carbs such as bread, pasta, white rice. Cereal
Eat lean meat, fish, eggs, (not in unlimited amounts like Atkins) salad and veg. No fizzy drinks. Seeds and a few natural nuts a day. Natural yogurt ( can be full fat Greek style-you need some good fats) a little honey and dried fruit on yogurt.
You will find you don't actually need the carbs to fill you up.
Have a 'cheat day' once a week. Allow your body some carbs, within reason of course. If you fancy a small chocolate bar this day have it but just have the one.
This advice came from a personal trainer. And if stuck to it really works.

Good luck.

MadProfessor
01-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Jogurts contains coagulants to retain water and avoid separation into solid and liquid mass. What keeps water in jogurts will keep it in the body as well. Chocolate is mostly solid fat + will-weakening cocoa, it's not just a hi-carb product. And since when white rice is a processed carb?

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I have BEGGED to be given a presciption to no avail. The last time I went I had a list of everything I ate or drank for two weeks, a list of when I slept, used the bathroom, and my workout schedule. When I started the meeting he started on about dieting, I handed him my food list. Then he talkind about working out more, so I handed him that list too. By the time he had had all the lists he just looked at me with an odd look as if he was sure that I was lying. He then said, "Well, I think you'll just need to keep working on your own since medications have their risks." Shoot, I think at a certain point the risks of not losing the weight outweigh those risks.

I have given up all sodas, I never add salt to any food. Cook with salt alternatives when I think I need something at all, I don't eat salad dressing (Put lemon juice on them when I eat them), don't eat chocolate, eat no mayo(Due to allergy), and I eat yogurt maybe once every two months.

Que beating head against the wall.

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Oh, to show just how bad it is, last night when I went to work, I weighed myself at the start of the shift and at the end of the shift, there was a TEN POUND gain in less than a ten hour time frame. I have been known to see a TWENTY pound swing one way or the other in a 24 hour period.

vabs
01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Have you ever tried a low carb diet? That can take off water weight.

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Yes, low carb diets, low and/or high protien, weight watchers, south beach, atkins, all liquid diets, slim fast, fasting and only drinking water for days at a time......I'm on diuretics to try to lose the fluid, too.

EagleRiverDee
01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
A low carb diet. You'll lose about 5 lbs of water weight in the first week.

That said, who told you that you have to lose water before you lose fat? Because that's bunk.

But a low carb diet would likely do both for you- help you drop water weight first, and then steadily lose fat later. The high protein/fat content of a low carb diet is fantastic- it feeds your body the protein it needs so it doesn't canibalize muscle as you lose weight, and the fat will help you stay satisfied. And lest you worry that eating fat makes you fat, that's also bunk. It also won't destroy your cholesterol. My cholesterol numbers actually have improved while on the Primal Blueprint diet, a variant of the Paleo diet that I feel is the best diet for me.

Radiojane
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
I second the low carb. Water retention was a huge issue for me.

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Well, so far the low carb hasn't done a thing for me. :( Not to mention, when my weight fluctuates so widely in a short amount of time, it is very hard to get excited when I see five pounds disappear on the scale since I have seen it hop right back on in just a short period of time. I am tired of seeing others do well doing the exact same thing I have done with completely different results.

Syckgirlsfv
01-14-2013, 06:18 PM
have you tried taking Dandelion root? I sometimes use it to shed water...it's natural and really does work. you can get it at any vitamin store.

the other sure fire way that works for me is to do an intense cardio session...you'll sweat it out! Putting lemon juice in your water is also good and helps to reduce bloating...it also aids in digestion.

:goodluck:

April Snow
01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Oh, to show just how bad it is, last night when I went to work, I weighed myself at the start of the shift and at the end of the shift, there was a TEN POUND gain in less than a ten hour time frame. I have been known to see a TWENTY pound swing one way or the other in a 24 hour period.

weight fluctuations over the course of a day don't mean anything at all. You are weighing your body plus everything you've had to eat and drink that day.

What happens if you weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning after you've used the bathroom but before you have anything to eat or drink? Is there no difference at all week over week regardless of any plan you follow?

EagleRiverDee
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM
weight fluctuations over the course of a day don't mean anything at all. You are weighing your body plus everything you've had to eat and drink that day.

What happens if you weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning after you've used the bathroom but before you have anything to eat or drink? Is there no difference at all week over week regardless of any plan you follow?

This is true. Weigh yourself at the same time every day. I weigh myself in the morning, after I go to the bathroom and before my shower. That is always my lowest weight of the day and I might weigh 10 lbs more that night from the fluids I drank and the food I ate. But what matters is that by weighing myself at the same time every day I can actually see the *real* weight changes over the course of time. I weigh myself daily because I find it educational- you learn quickly which foods will bloat you up and make you gain a (temporary) two or three pounds of water weight.

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Yesterday was just a fluke. I rarely weigh more than once a week (started that when I got so frustrated with the daily flucs; and yes I weighed first thing in the am before eating or drinking) but I was taking a lot of diuretics and curiosity got the better of me. That was without eating, only drinking one slimfast while at work to get that weight gain.

I haven't tried the dandelion pills but I have made tea with the flowers out in the yard and a coffee like drink from the roasted roots before.

Anyway, like I said, the fluctuations vary widely if I weigh at the same time two days in a row at the same time. Five pounds I can see being due to bloat but not ten to twenty.

EagleRiverDee
01-14-2013, 08:02 PM
That was without eating, only drinking one slimfast while at work to get that weight gain.

Slimfast isn't actually a very good product. I used to use it too, but if you look at the ingredients it's not good. It has a lot of carbs, which will be stored in your body as glycogen and glycogen requires water for storage...voila, water weight.

I'd suggest you look at a good quality protein shake with minimal carbs, and something like a Magic Bullet blender and make your own shakes. You'll get much higher quality ingredients, less crap, and less sugars.

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I've only been on the slimfast thing for the last four days. I've tried every shake at the health food store and had give up on them but I bought this pack on an impulse after I got frustrated at hubby's loss without hardly trying. URGH

EagleRiverDee
01-15-2013, 02:41 AM
I've only been on the slimfast thing for the last four days. I've tried every shake at the health food store and had give up on them but I bought this pack on an impulse after I got frustrated at hubby's loss without hardly trying. URGH

Yeah, that sucks, doesn't it? We try to lose weight and have to change our entire lives, they decide to lose weight and cut out the soda for a week and lose 10 lbs. LOL. Don't compare yourself to a guy, we're just built different. :) My sweetie never exercise, never does anything, and yet always maintains nice muscle mass and looks fantastic. I bust my a&& doing P90X and eating right and hiking and everything and lose maybe 20 lbs in a year. Oh well. It is what it is.

MadProfessor
01-15-2013, 05:45 AM
Anyway, I know that until I can ditch the fluid, I won't be able to even touch the fat to lose it.
That's not true. In order to lose fat, you have to have plenty of water, and cycle a lot of it every day [urinate/refill]. Drink plenty, move a bit, sleep enough. Don't do diuretics to loose water weight unless you'd like to risk poisoning your kidneys.

kelijpa
01-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I agree with the MadProfessor, you have to drink water to keep everything working properly, if you're doing everything right and retaining water unnaturally then you should talk to your doctor.

About the rice, too...

teekim22
01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi Jaded

the obvious thing is of course avoid sodium- so anything in a package is usually filled with sodium! Especially foods like pho or asian foods are usually packed with sodium

Also are you on the birth control pill? It causes a lot of issues with water retention in women. Also its important to make sure you actually keep drinking water so your body doesn't think it has to hold on to it

JadedPhoenixBurning
01-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Jaded

the obvious thing is of course avoid sodium- so anything in a package is usually filled with sodium! Especially foods like pho or asian foods are usually packed with sodium

Also are you on the birth control pill? It causes a lot of issues with water retention in women. Also its important to make sure you actually keep drinking water so your body doesn't think it has to hold on to it

To answer your question, I haven't been on birth control (Depo shot) in ten years. Also, I have never added salt to my food in my entire adult life. As for packaged foods, I've been avoiding them for years as well. I was warned by the doctor to make sure that I don't drink more than a gallon of water since that brings on water intoxification. Something that most are not aware of the dangers concerning. She confirmed that the excess fluid in my system has slowed my metabolism and it will have to be dealt with before I will have any success in losing any weight.

EagleRiverDee
01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
She confirmed that the excess fluid in my system has slowed my metabolism and it will have to be dealt with before I will have any success in losing any weight.

Can you expand on that? What does your doctor say the fluid is impacting that would cause your metabolism to slow down? I've never heard of such a thing in my life, it seems absolutely counter to every single thing I've learned about weight loss. Adequate hydration is one of the elements that assist with weight loss, not hinder it, at least in everything I've read. I'm curious what your doctor is referring to.

April Snow
01-28-2013, 03:49 PM
I think you need to find a different doctor. Everything you are describing at this point sounds like a medical issue, not a weight loss issue.

ANiceChianti
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Have you had your parathyroid and adrenal glands checked?

mnemosyne
01-28-2013, 05:21 PM
That's not true. In order to lose fat, you have to have plenty of water, and cycle a lot of it every day [urinate/refill]. Drink plenty, move a bit, sleep enough. Don't do diuretics to loose water weight unless you'd like to risk poisoning your kidneys.

JadedPhoenixRising - I absolutely agree with MadProfessor. Unless you have some medical condition like congestive heart failure where you can get BIG amounts of fluid built up in your body, the amount of water you drink and/or fluid you 'retain' has NOTHING to do with fat loss.

Fat loss is a matter of creating a calorie deficit. Pretty much period. There are loads of ways to get there, but fundamentally if you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight over time. For women, fluid retention can complicate when we SEE the outcome on the scale, but it DOES NOT stop fat loss, it merely masks it for a while. Different women see it at different points in their cycle. Sleep and stress and the specific foods you eat can also impact that, but that's just a temporal impact, NOT a long-term impact.

My guess is that you are not eating proper portion sizes, and/or are not being realistic with yourself about the # of calories in the foods you are consuming. That is easy to do; I have certainly done it plenty. I do it all the time. There are so many foods that 'seem' healthy, but are INSANE with the calories. Doesn't a 'market-fresh' sandwich sound good? Doesn't that sound like a healthy option? With a big picture of the veggies tucked inside? Those Arby's sandwiches have 1000+ kcals.

If you are really concerned with fat loss and long-term weight loss, please stop worrying about water weight (unless it is genuine and you have actual edema of your legs or arms, in which case GET THEE TO A DOCTOR) and start measuring your foods. Don't worry about restricting foods at first; just measure and check the calories in and acknowledge EVERY MORSEL you consume, down to weighing and measuring so that you are accurate about portion sizes.

Then you can pick a plan that works for you and start experimenting with a healthier eating plan of any sort to help you create and maintain a calorie deficit. Then fluid fluctuations will float above it, sometimes making you feel stalled, sometimes granting you a magickal WOOSH, which we all love.

bargoo
02-13-2013, 09:55 AM
You can do everything right and still be eating too many calories. How many calories a day are you eating ?

Lolo70
02-15-2013, 11:24 AM
I have had massive edema in the past (could not see toes anymore) and symptoms of congestive heart failure. That in the end turned out to be due to hormonal imbalance and a hyperactivated immune system. As others already posted, you need to make sure you have no heart problems. I also suggest you see a good endocrinologist. Test aldosterone and cortisol levels along with everything else. If you take diuretics and they do nothing against water retention, your problem may be estrogen/progesterone balance.

Also as others have urged you, diuretics can mess your body up, particularly when you drink too much (this is actually criminal if your doctor allows you to do it). You can also drink too much. Don't assume what blogs tell you is always healthy. And how do you actually know you have a problem with water retention?

Lolo70
02-15-2013, 11:29 AM
JadedPhoenixRising Just reading your last post. You say you do not use salt? Do you actually eat salt in your food at all? You can ingest too much salt. But too little is also unhealthy and can totally mess up your body's fluid control. You should check this. You doctor should have. It seems to me, you should first eat a normal, well-balanced diet with adequate amounts of minerals, vitamins and water (I would reduce water intake maybe) and see what happens. Going on every diet and drinking gallons may be hard on your body.

JadedPhoenixBurning
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Can you expand on that? What does your doctor say the fluid is impacting that would cause your metabolism to slow down? I've never heard of such a thing in my life, it seems absolutely counter to every single thing I've learned about weight loss. Adequate hydration is one of the elements that assist with weight loss, not hinder it, at least in everything I've read. I'm curious what your doctor is referring to.

When the body has too much fluid in it, the nutrients and electrolytes are diluted to the point where the body can't gain any that is left as useful to it. Water Intoxification is rare but is a real potential threat for those that either have too much fluid in their systems or drink too much water.

I have had issues with fluid for over a decade but I had no insurance for the majority of that time. Twelve years ago, I did suffer from eclampsia which sort of triggered some of my issues. When I was induced, my blood pressure was 225/120. That's right; it remained that high for most of my pregnancy. My BP still stays higher than many that are considered healthy as an after effect. Proof of the water weight is in the form of the edema in my legs and face. I can cross my legs and the divit can be as deep as 2 inches inward. Its been estimated that I have well over 60 pounds of fluid that just won't go away, and yes I've stopped the diuretics for those that preached against them.

Fat loss is a matter of creating a calorie deficit. Pretty much period. There are loads of ways to get there, but fundamentally if you create a calorie deficit, you will lose weight over time. For women, fluid retention can complicate when we SEE the outcome on the scale, but it DOES NOT stop fat loss, it merely masks it for a while.

I have been a security guard for the last 7 years, on my feet walking and even running when needed for 12.5 hours a day. I have to force myself to eat a minimum of 1600 calories a day (from fruits, vegetables and lean meats) since I usually don't have the time or the desire to eat. I write everything I eat and have used portion control plates. In fact, they are the only ones I have in the house and immediately throw left overs out to prevent second helpings.

I work out as well so burning the calories I take in isn't an issue. When I went on Weight Watchers, I GAINED over five pounds a week which I learned later on that nearly a third that follow the diet actually do gain since the diet requires them to eat more than their systems are used to. Also, I only eat out MAYBE once every 8-9 months.

[ Do you actually eat salt in your food at all? You can ingest too much salt. But too little is also unhealthy and can totally mess up your body's fluid control. You should check this. ]

I do drink bottled water which has has added sodium just like nearly everything else that is sold now adays. Between that and the other natural forms of sodium that you'd be surprised just where it all can be sneaked into your everyday diet, I assure you that I'm getting more tha 80% of the USDA recommendation for sodium at least. Probably more.

wannaskipandlaugh
02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Gosh..... This is hard for you... I am so sorry. Is there any medication that you take that water retention is a side effect? Are you taking vitamins etc? Have you tried more Vit C fruits (they seem to help me shed alittle extra water and I know that the B's do too) Just a thought. I do hope that something clicks in your cells and they let loose the extra water... I really do

Kisigin
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
I don't know if you realize it but one big cause of fluid retention is stress. Now from your posts it sounds like you're stressed out. However from the degree of retention you're describing you may have something more serious like Cushing's syndrome. The point is this is just the internet, you need to get to a competent doctor for a comprehensive physical. They don't always catch these things with just the standard once over and people sometimes go undiagnosed for years.

bubblybarrister
02-26-2013, 08:26 AM
I am very much not a doctor, but what you are describing sounds to me like one of my friends who couldn't lose weight despite all of her healthy dieting and exercising. It turns out that she had a thyroid problem, and once she began taking medication for it she was able to move some of that stubborn weight. I don't know if you've been tested for that but it might be worth a shot?

I hope you're able to figure out what's going on. I'm sorry you're so frustrated. :(

Heather
02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Like some other posters, I think you should worry less about fluid gain/loss and more about FAT gain/loss. We all retain water... we are MOSTLY water. If you are losing fat and retaining lots of water you should still see a loss on the scale, right? From everything I understand about the process, having lots of water weight will not inhibit fat loss. Actually, there's lots of water in those fat cells.

So, why not focus on figuring out whether or not you are creating a calorie deficit and/or if there are other issues why you are not losing weight?

QuilterInVA
02-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Your body retains 4g of water for every 1g of carbs you eat. How long did you stick with all the diets you were on? A week or 2 isn't enough.

And by the way, weight gain is not common on Weight Watchers if you follow the program. I lost 200+ pounds with them and have kept it off. This year they are celebrating their 50th anniversary and I hardly think they'd have lasted that long if weight gain was common on the program.

JadedPhoenixBurning
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I've stayed on any diet plan for a minimum of 3 months with the exception of W.Watchers since I was gaining 5 pounds a week and after 4 weeks I had enough of paying to gain weight! Cushings has been eliminated but it seems like I'll have a long road to find out just what IS going on. Both my older brother and older sister have been diagnosed with mysterious liver conditions that while much hasn't been found out yet, the doctors both agree that they are hereditary. GREAT! I'm hoping that my siblings won't share their conditions but I know that I have to consider that I too may be suffering from the same condition since 2 out of my 3 siblings have it.

The doctor has given me a stronger diuretic and I've gotten down to 298.4 as of this morning. I was nearly 320 when I started it so hopefully I'm going in the right direction. Joining the gym this week too on top of being on my feet for 13 hours a day at work so cross your fingers.

IanG
05-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Good luck at the gym! It's certainly working for me!