Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Jan 14 - Jan 20

BillBlueEyes
01-14-2013, 06:17 AM
This talk of movies leaves me in the dust. Every month or so we join some friends to watch a DVD. DW and I are the best guests - we haven't seen any of the proposed movies so we're happy with whatever gets chosen. It does lead me to see some neat stuff that I'd never have chosen alone.

The little snow we've had has melted. Walking is easy - but so is finding parking spaces when the snow is gone, LOL. I'm so jealous of Dagmar's beach scene. In my next life, I'll live on a cliff overlooking the beach. (Around here, living on the beach is a ticking bomb.)

Megan1982
01-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Morning all,

I felt inundated with football and football parties all weekend. As someone who does not give a fig about football, I was not excited. They were given by BF's friends who I don't know that well. Nice people... but that's it. And since I'm trying to avoid alcohol and fatty football foods that added another level of anxiety to the events. I attended one Saturday so I wouldn't just be sitting home alone, but took the dog for a long wog during the game Sunday and skipped the party. There is the relationship aspect, too. These are BF's friends. I have to hang out with them occasionally to please him, and so that I have leverage when I want him to hang out with my friends.

As a follow-up to our conversation last week about the "CLANK" as the 50-lb weight is moved from one side to another at the doctor's office, I saw an Alli commercial over the weekend where the female subject was talking about just that. She was talking about just what we were talking about. Clever marketing.

Bill, I'm right there in the dust with you. The nearest movie theatre is 60 miles away, and I just don't get there. When I do go to the city I have so many errands stored up I go to stores and little else, unless I'm there for work. I have Netflix but by the time a movie comes out on DVD I've half forgotten about it. Then sometimes I try to get things both BF and I will agree to watch... I wish Netflix offered more on demand. I use it more to catch up on my Dexter and other TV seasons. I've actually been thinking about checking out what hulu has to offer.

How was everybody's weekend?

bargoo
01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
I watched the Golden Globes and I can report that I had not seen one movie or TV show that was nominated. I have seen some of the actors in past performances but this year 0.
Oops....I did see The Hatfields and McCoys.

traveling michele
01-14-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm grouchy at the scale (again)-- what's new?!

I experimented with doing back to back bikram yoga classes and then allowing myself an indulgent lunch (small cup of chili and a pesto chicken sandwich at a restaurant). You would think 185 minutes of heart pounding and sweating would offset one meal but the scale is still up! GRRRRR..... Gotta get serious about my food as my exercise is obviously there.......

krampus
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Scale was up too much all weekend and has moved down again. Still this morning was ruined by spending 20 minutes trying to "go" to no success, and then realizing I had used up most of my gym time.

I shall try again (gym, the other thing is a lost effort) tonight. I want to look good in a swimsuit for my FL Keys trip, but standing between now and then, this Saturday is Wing Wars (where I WILL eat 20 wings, no matter what I tell myself).

CherryPie99
01-14-2013, 12:43 PM
The scale and I were also at war this morning - I was at a good weight this weekend and ate well and the scale decided to leap up this morning. I walked 7.5 miles on Saturday and ran 8 yesterday, so I'm hoping there's some DOMS and that's the culprit.

Movies - DH and I never go out to the movies. Last movie we saw out was "Paranormal Activity" - the first one - because we had a gift card to use. But we have a 61" tv, full surround sound, and a Blu-Ray and so we do watch the movies when they come out on DVD. And then I get to pause it when I have to pee!

I had a pretty productive weekend - trying to keep up with housework so that I don't have to do a massive cleaning that takes 2 days every once and a while. It was pretty easy this weekend, though, because I could clean while watching the football playoffs.

Talk about irony, Megan, I LOVE football and DH HATES it. He could barely tolerate me insisting on watching all the games this weekend, especially when he was subjected to it being on while we were working out!

Happy Monday everyone!

Jen

saef
01-14-2013, 01:05 PM
I thought that I had a quiet, productive day planned when my manager reached out to me through IM. She's creating a second team leader position within our dept, which is an entry-level management spot, and it's only going to be open for internal applicants for one week. She urged me to apply today. So there's that. And also buying an airline ticket to visit friends in Santa Fe. And also reviewing a couple hundred published docs from 2012 and breaking out for my manager what research areas they represent.

So I am overwhelmed ... and so tired ... I didn't watch the Globes, as I was trying to go to bed early. It didn't help: I still feel wiped out today.

I like to look at the dresses on the red carpet at the Globes, but don't have a lot of respect for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which gives out the awards. They once gave a best actress award to Pia Zadora. (Look her up if the name doesn't ring a bell.)

bargoo
01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
saef, did you apply for the position ?
I watch the Gobes mainly to see the dresses. I think many of them are quite ugly.
I remember Pia Zadora, shat ever happened to her ?

Sheila53
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I happened to see Silver Linings Playbook yesterday afternoon so I did manage to see one nominee. It was great, BTW. Watching the award shows is my secret vice, although I generally mute the speeches. Never worn an evening gown or formal in my life, but I love looking at the fashions and seeing who was in the top 5 of the best and worst dressed. I can only admit that online where anonymity is relatively guaranteed.

Megan, that's funny about the Alli commercial. I'm going to have to watch for that.

Bill, we had a snow storm last week that dumped 3-4" and the dang stuff is still around in the form of icy packed snow. It hasn't been above freezing since, and it's supposed to be highs of around 22 all this week. Our sidewalk is clear, but so many aren't that going for a walk is downright dangerous. Crossing an unplowed parking lot is almost impossible without crampons. I decided to wait until it got to double digits this morning before I went shopping. Luckily the store I go to de-ices with a vengeance.

Anyone ever been a substitute teacher? I volunteer in a first grade classroom, and the regular teacher was out. I'd never seen the kids so amped up and wild. One kid actually whapped me on the butt. I felt sorry for the sub and had renewed respect for the regular teacher who keeps a tight, yet loving, control on her classroom. Subs really have a hard job.

Ishbel
01-14-2013, 01:31 PM
We had a blizzard (-30ish C with wind chill) on Friday so instead of 4X4ing in the Honda Fit I took the day. I wasn't impressed that the boss just didn't cancel the day but...c'est la vie. :)

I don't usually watch the award shows, I don't know why. I do look up the dresses after the fact though.

However, I do watch a lot of movies, the VIP is a movie hound! His theatre is 138 inch HD projector (seriously, over the top geekalert!). He still loves going TO the theatre (I think it's the popcorn) but I find myself a series/tv gal. To compromise we buy old series and end up watching them one a night or two a night (depending on if I love the series).

We watched a marathon of the walking dead over Christmas...which isn't helpful at 4:00 am if you happen to wake up...and end up with silly racing thoughts about 'whatif' :dizzy:

We are currently watching Battlestar Galactica, a Canadian series. And I'm excited to watch Game of Thrones, even though I get mad at the books when I'm reading them :D

paperclippy
01-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Hey folks! My minor cold turned out to be pretty nasty after all. By last Wednesday evening I'd developed a fever, so we called my OB who told me to take Tylenol and called in a Tamiflu prescription in case it was the flu. I haven't left the house since last Tuesday! But the fever broke Saturday night and except for a slight rise last night it doesn't seem to be coming back. Now I'm just stuck with the worst congestion I've had in years, laryngitis, and a nasty cough. Yuck!

It's funny, when I was fat I was sick all the time. Since losing weight and getting healthy, I've barely gotten ill at all, and when I do it's been very minor. I had forgotten how unpleasant it is. I honestly think this is the first fever I've had in the past seven years, and only the first or second time I've had to take a sick day off work. I'm working from home right now (took Thurs and Fri off sick) and planning on staying home at least until I can talk again. I figure there's no point in being there in person if I can't talk to anyone and I'm just spreading germs with all my coughing and nose-blowing. I can do all my actual work remotely.

I'm sad I was sick this weekend because the weather was beautiful when it wasn't raining. I sat next to an open window for a while to take advantage of it. Also, I missed out on seeing a special exhibit of Islamic art at the art museum, which was having its last weekend. Oh well, guess I should have gone earlier. On the bright side, DH is the best and waited on me hand and foot, including working from home Thurs and Fri to take care of me. Being sick is also so uncomfortable it made all the pregnancy discomfort I've been complaining about seem like nothing at all, which I'm not sure is an improvement but at least puts things in perspective.

The real question now is how to avoid getting sick with something else when I go back to work! Obviously the flu shot and washing my hands a lot was not sufficient prevention, and for whatever reason people don't seem to be capable of staying home when they're sick. I'm considering getting a face mask and putting a bunch of hand sanitizer bottles all over my desk. I don't want to be paranoid, but I also really, really don't want to get sick again, and all the news networks have been reporting on what a dangerous flu season this is. (Didn't help that when I went to look up whether Tamiflu was safe for pregnant women, the answer I got was basically, "Flu kills a lot of pregnant women, so it's safer for you to take the medicine than to get the flu.")

Shannon in ATL
01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm still at home today. I'm feeling better, but still run down. Throat is much less sore than it was, head is still pretty congested. I'm still getting a little light headed when I cough or blow my nose too hard. I've barely eaten in five days, but feel bloated and icky from the antibiotics and all the sodium filled soup of the last week.

We did go see Shatner last night - it was probably unwise, but I saved up energy all day to be ready. The tix were the last part of DH's Christmas present and I didn't want him to miss it. It was AWESOME. Totally worth it. :)

bargoo
01-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Jessica, promise old granny bargoo that you will be super careful , it is not just you to be concerned about, I told you earlier about my getting a cold during pregnancy and it not going away until after my DS was born.
Wear a mask if necessary and use lots of sanitizing wipes and take time off if you can. This flu that is going around is nasty. Take care of yourself and the babies.

paperclippy
01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Shannon, glad the antibiotics are kicking in and you're feeling a little better. Sounds like you enjoyed Shatner!

Bargoo, I'm trying to think of a polite way to email my whole project team at work and basically say, "If you're sick or think you might be getting sick, don't come within 10 feet of me for the next five months." When I emailed in my status report last week I hinted about CDC recommendations for staying home from work when sick but I don't know if the guys got it or not. Most of them are fathers (or even grandfathers) so you'd think they'd know about these kind of things, but apparently not.

bargoo
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Shannon, glad the antibiotics are kicking in and you're feeling a little better. Sounds like you enjoyed Shatner!

Bargoo, I'm trying to think of a polite way to email my whole project team at work and basically say, "If you're sick or think you might be getting sick, don't come within 10 feet of me for the next five months." When I emailed in my status report last week I hinted about CDC recommendations for staying home from work when sick but I don't know if the guys got it or not. Most of them are fathers (or even grandfathers) so you'd think they'd know about these kind of things, but apparently not.

I think you should do that , not only for your sake but others as well.

traveling michele
01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I have been a substitute teacher and it is HARD.

These days when I see classes coming into the library with subs, I cringe. The classes are very difficult to control, no matter the age. Teachers are so much better at knowing the individual students-- what works, what doesn't work, which students not to place together, etc.

Mudpie
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Back from my dogsit. Start the next one Friday. Looks like January is "Dogmageddon" month, which is good since I can really use the extra $$$.

I feel a bit sorry for my dad today. Apparently they are going to boot him out of palliative care at the nice nursing home where my cousin's wife works. I did put him on a waiting list for an Estonian home back in 2011. I really hope they will send him there, rather than to the first sh*thole that has an available spot.

More stuff for him to yell at me about. C'est la vie.

No idea what I weigh today and am too tired to care.

Dagmar :tired:

Steph7409
01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Dagmar, I thought of you yesterday when I had my "duty lunch" with my dad. He's quite egotistical, but he doesn't rant or yell at me. It's more a matter of him just talking about himself nonstop, with only the occasional question about me. Not so bad, I guess.

Shannon, glad you're feeling better and that you enjoyed the Shatner show. What did it entail, exactly? Dramatic readings? I love the way he has had such a great late-stage career.

Ishbel, I'm a Walking Dead fan too. So creepy. I'm not sure if I could do a maarathon - one hour at a time is enough!

Sheila, I love Bradley Cooper and wanted to see Silver Linings Playbook. I'll be looking for that on Netflix in the spring.

I just got back from my meetup dinner with strangers. It was a lot of fun. I'm always surprised that I end up being the chatty one at things like this. when I could never make myself go to the office holiday party because I felt like such a wallflower. I think this group has some potential for outings - everyone wants to go hiking or visit museums. I'm glad I went.

I do find, though, that when I get home from social events I really want to eat. I know it's a reaction to the anxiety, a way to bring myself down from the mild excitement of being sociable. I should exercise instead but it's a little late for that and I didn't sleep well last night. Excuses, excuses.

ChrisMohr
01-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Hi Steph, I know all about excuses! How about this: I had a great food day today but when it hit zero degrees tonight I ate an energy bar. The scale will tell me the cause and effect relationship that exists between what I eat and what I weigh tho. For some reason the scale just doesn't listen to my excuses!

shcirerf
01-15-2013, 01:42 AM
HI!

Still hanging around, still maintaining.

Didn't watch the globes. Did watch some football!:D

As far as the dreaded cold/flu season, if you feel or even think you feel sick, for the love of Pete, STAY HOME! Our part time girl/intern, who only works on Saturdays, dropped in last Tuesday, after working her shift at the people hospital, coughing and hacking, snotty nose and all. You'd think someone who works in the medical profession would know better.:?:

Watching movies/tv. Don't know when the last time DH and I went to a movie. We have 2 tv's because we have totally different taste in tv.

:hug: Mudpie! I have a grandmother in the local nursing home who can be cantankerous as all get out.

Anyway, life is pretty much status quo around here. It's been colder than a well diggers hind end in the Klondike the last few days. New grandson coming March 23!

Seemed to have inherited several kitties, who I think have wandered over from neighboring rental farm house where tenant got kicked out and must have left them. Normally, I would not feed them as I don't need any more cats, but it's been so darn cold and one is so skinny, I have been feeding them. So now, I guess I will bring home a carrier and catch the 2 that are tame and haul them into work and get them fixed and a rabies vaccination. Don't need them adding to the feral kitty population and we had several local cases of confirmed rabies in skunks this summer and now, about 30 miles away, in Colorado they have had 10 or so confirmed cases of rabies in skunks in the last month!:dizzy: The Colorado, USDA Veterinary disease vet called us the other day and gave us a heads up!

Krampus, I love wings! Now I make them out of skinless chicken breast chunks and do them in the oven!

Concocted a new soup tonight! 1 can of fat free refried beans and 1 can of enchilada sauce. Yum! Nice and thick and creamy, the spices give it a bit of heat, and the creaminess and warmth, makes it feel like a good cold weather comfort soup! Sprinkle just a dab of cheese on top, or get a low calorie tortilla, add a bit of cheese and melt, and dip! Enjoy!

CherryPie99
01-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Shannon - glad you had a good time at the Shatner show. DH was very jealous when I told him you were going! Shatner just seems like a really cool guy that you could hang out with!

A good friend of mine - who is truly one of the kindest people I have ever met - has Lupus and it is flaring up extremely bad and she is in danger of losing her eyesite - she is 43 years old. She called me yesterday and her father, who has been an emotionally abusive alcoholic her whole life, committed suicide by drinking a bunch of antifreeze. He also left a suicide note tearing her apart and basically saying he never got any support from her. She is totally a wreck. I wish there was more I could do for her.

Had the weirdest dream last night - I was never a binge eater, even at my heaviest. But in this dream there was some get together and there was a large store bought chocolate cake. Everyone had left the room and I just started CRAMMING the cake down my throat. I'm talking no fork, and using both hands to just stuff my face. I woke up with a start and was SO RELIEVED that it was just a dream. Wondering where this came from, though...

Jen

saef
01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Watching the award shows is my secret vice, although I generally mute the speeches. Never worn an evening gown or formal in my life, but I love looking at the fashions and seeing who was in the top 5 of the best and worst dressed. I can only admit that online where anonymity is relatively guaranteed.

I have no shame. The dresses are fascinating to me. If not quite works of art, then they are a form of craft at its highest level. I marvel at the labor they represent. Someone dreamed them up, sketched them, maybe pinned the fabric. Someone else sewed them, individually, largely by hand. (But if you watch "Project Runway" you may already have marveled, as I have, at the process.) The dresses are meant to set off a woman's beauty like a frame around a portrait. The matchmaking that stylists perform to get the right dress for the right woman, well, that, too, is a very high form of craft. Sometimes I wonder if certain of those women wearing the dresses are actually worthy of the thought & man-hours of labor that have been put into their appearance. (Lindsay Lohan ... enough said.) No, I don't own any couture clothing. You know me, I could never justify the expense. But if you also know me, you know my respect for anyone who's an artisan & very focused & incredibly good at what they do, and that respect extends to the dresses, which, sadly, seem to have a lifespan shorter than a bouquet of flowers.

Now I'm settling into the quieter work day that I thought I'd have yesterday. My primary concern is the zoning board meeting that I'll be attending tonight. Back in December, the board reviewed our flood wall plans and several neighbors spoke against it, fearing it would cause displaced water to fill up their properties. Our engineer, Leonard Jackson, testified that it would not, that there is no other solution for our apartment complex, and that he advised other complexes to consider building walls, as no amount of dredging or engineering can undo the loss of wetlands and undeveloped land upstream, which formerly absorbed vast amounts of precipitation, nor will the weather ever return to "normal" again, without periodic catastrophic events.

Again, my apartment complex chartered a bus to get us to the meeting, since so many residents here don't drive at night, don't drive anymore at all, or don't drive outside of the near neighborhood. I'll be there, to listen, show support and help people get in & off the bus.

I really, really hope they approve the wall, and that it is NOT remanded again for further study.

traveling michele
01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Jen,
I'm sorry about your friend. I sure hope she isn't feeling guilt over losing her dad. Your dream could have been a result of your feeling helpless to support her? Just a thought!

I signed up for my second Tough Mudder in September. Now I have extra motivation to 1. work on my upper body strength and 2. lose a few pounds.... Last year when I participated, I had woeful upper body strength and the two men on our team basically had to hoist me up to the walls to climb over. I'd rather be able to do it more myself ideally, but if they do have to hoist me, I'd rather be a few pounds less!

Shannon in ATL
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Good morning all. I'm back at work, though moving a little slowly. I might not make it the entire day at this rate.

The Shatner show was basically just him talking about his life. He touched on childhood, growing up in Montreal, first acting jobs, Star Trek, his wife who drowned, meeting his new wife, raising horses, all kinds of things. Showed a few video clips. Ended it with a song. He talked for two hours. It was fantastic. :) He really does seem like someone you could just sit and drink a beer with and chat. Or whatever social drink of choice, today for me would be hot tea. LOL

Jen - I'm sorry about your friend. That is terrible.

Dagmar - why is your dad getting kicked out of the nice place? How is he doing otherwise? And how are you? Take care of you.

Saef - hope they approve your wall.

Janelle - I love the idea of that soup. DH doesn't eat beans, but that sounds like a great at work meal for me.

Chris - the scale never listens to my excuses either. Darnit. :)

Steph - I'm glad the meetup went well. I tend to be kind of quiet and don't seek out social activities, but when I'm in one I'm a talker. I'm a great date at office parties, or so I've been told.

Michele - high five on signing up for another tough mudder! Woo!

Ishbel - the Walking Dead kind of creeps me out. Several of my friends have done those zombie runs where people dress up and chase you through a 5k - I think that would give me nightmares, honestly. I'm prone to suggestion at 2am.

:wave: to anyone I missed!

I have a half marathon in four weeks. I have to get better so I can get ready!

saef
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
I never dreamed of food until I started spending a lot of my waking life thinking about it. I was a binge eater, but I also think the dream is not quite as matter-of-fact as that. Usually, I'm at some groaning table, as gorgeous as a Dutch still-life painting meant to show the goodness of life. When I have these dreams, it's usually a sign that 1) I feel deprived in some way, not necessarily of food, but perhaps of warmth, love, companionship, you name it, as I'm the only one excluded from the feast and have to steal what others enjoy openly and unreservedly; or 2) I have been too driven, have postponed relaxation or time to exhale for too long, and haven't been very kind to myself or indulgent in simple pleasures. I know I must let up on myself, but if I loosen the reins, I fear I'll go crazy bucking & kicking & run away with myself. Essentially, it's a dream about losing control. Which, apparently, I'm not allowed to do in life, only in dreams.

Oh, and I guess this is kind of related: I am fascinated by "The Walking Dead" and I am extremely impatient with it being on hiatus till football season ends. After the flood, I started liking post-apocalyptic movies. I've thought that during the worst of my binges, during my eating disorder days, I probably looked just about as civilized as one of those guys when sitting down to a meal.

Of course, if the zombie apocalypse ever happens, I'll be an early one to die, as I absolutely need my 10mg of generic Prozac a day. Or maybe that would turn me into a bada$$ woman in a tanktop, showing off my arms & wearing those cool green khaki knee-length pants, with my hair in a kinda sexy tangle, carrying a katana or a gun, and raiding desolate Walgreens and CVS for pharmaceuticals, killing all the zombie-fied guys in white coats and the teenagers with the wild fingernails to get them.

Megan1982
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Today for work I had to take my annual "pack test" and some safety refresher training that allows me to help with prescribed burning. 2 miles, a 25 lb pack, in under 30 minutes, and no running allowed. I mention it here every year. It has become my annual reminder of what it is like to carry extra weight, and the test is only half of the extra weight that I used to carry. It is hard to do, and it is hard on the knees, shins, and back. I did it in 25:43 this year, my best time yet. It is sort of celebratory, and makes me think of what I've accomplished and how much more I can live in my body now. It's also a warning to me. Never regain that weight.

Last night at my book club meeting we discussed "B as in Beauty" which is a book about an overweight woman learning to love herself. It also struck many chords with me. I told my friends how overweight I used to be and that I could relate to B. It caught me off guard for a second when I realized that my friends didn't know how overweight I was when I was a teenager, but they didn't know me then. I could write a novel about my emotions reading this book and discussing it with my friends... but I won't. I have certainly had a lot of reminders in the past day of where I've come from.

Janelle, do you have a "wing" recipe that works well for you? I love buffalo sauce flavors and tend to dump lighter versions of the sauce on boneless skinless chicken parts.

Shannon, get thee to bed! Don't try to push yourself if you're still sick.

Jessica, take care of yourself! I don't think a mask would be out of order if you're really concerned, and also perhaps leave a Lysol can sitting on your desk/periodically spray your doorknob, restroom doorknobs, etc. This flu season is pretty bad.

I do have some sympathy for a few sick people who work. Half of my coworkers are paid pitiful hourly wages, no benefits, no sick leave, so if they don't work they don't get paid and really can't afford not to work. I don't like it when they come in sick, but can't blame them. I did that for 3 years before I got my present position and it was hard to make ends meet.

Jen, I'm so sorry about your friend. How terrible.

Anything remotely scary terrifies me. Always has, always will. I don't care if I know it's fake. No zombies for this woman.

Gotta get back to work. Have a good day all.

paperclippy
01-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Megan, I think it is horrible that jobs exist that don't have sick leave. It's so stupid. I mean, how much do you save by not giving them sick leave compared to how much you lose by having a sick person infect 90% of your workforce? It's absolutely ridiculous. Same for people who have to use vacation hours for sick leave (my company does this for hourly employees -- I'm salaried so it doesn't apply to me). It's like, what happens if you get sick right after you took a vacation? I guess the rest of the office is going to get infected because you can't stay home.

I could rant about the ridiculousness of American labor laws for ages. I mean, isn't this what all of the strikes and union formations back around the turn of the 20th century were for? Occupational health and safety? It's like we're making backwards progress and it's ridiculous. At least we still have worker's comp and OSHA, even though many people don't have sick leave, vacation hours, medical care, overtime pay, etc. etc. etc.

In any case the folks at my office who I was complaining about coming in sick are all salaried and have the same benefits as me, and are all capable of working remotely with their laptops, so they have no excuse. Sadly people feel like they have to come in in person so as not to give the appearance of slacking off.

CherryPie99
01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Ok, guys, bear with me for a minute as I throw a pity party for myself.

This is turning into a banner week. My weight has spiked up from this weekend and I'm feeling really hungry all the time. I'm about 4 pounds over where I want to be. I can't figure out what is going on.

Then I went out for a run at lunch and my IT Band was KILLING me even wearing the strap and so I could only manage 4 miles.

Now this afternoon I found out that one of my favorite clients relapsed on heroin. I had to call him into my office and then send him to jail so he just left here in cuffs.

Ok, I just needed to vent for a minute. Hope things start looking up!

Jen

krampus
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Jen, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time - and it's awfully difficult to see clients relapse and have to send them to jail. I hope he recovers and a clean future is in the cards. Do you think the hunger and the IT injury stress are related? Injury is incredibly triggering for me.

Jessica, it's pretty brutal out there for a lot of employees. My roommate worked in the restaurant/service industry making a living wage but not a benefit in sight. Now she has medical/dental/sick coverage with her new job at a preschool, but they are paying her just over minimum wage.

Megan - congrats on the new record pack time. I sometimes think about that when I'm lifting at the gym - me plus this dumbbell used to be all me!

BillBlueEyes
01-15-2013, 05:15 PM
Good grief. The image of saef riding through desolated Walmart with a katana (thank you google).

Sending supportive thoughts your way Jen for your friend hit by the ultimate alcoholic rage. And then having to send a client away in cuffs.

It's a rough time in Maintainers.

traveling michele
01-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Congrats to Megan-- that's amazing!

Hugs to you Jen. I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel better about your weight-- mine is spiking too and I don't know why-- I'm super frustrated-- misery loves company?

Mudpie
01-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Megan That sounds like a tough test - :bravo:

I too think Shatner is a guy you could sit with and listen to while drinking beer (although his preference is for wine if I recall a program I saw about him correctly)

Shannon I hope you are really better, not just toughing it out and going to work. Glad you got to see Shatner.

saef DH is a huge "Walking Dead" fan and I like it (though the smashing of zombie heads does get tedious sometimes). I can see you charging through Walgreens waving your katana and screaming "where the h*ll is the Prozac. Get me some NOW!!!" :D

I have been working since I was 16 years old - full time since I was 21. I only ever had any kind of benefits for about 10 of those 40 years, and that was mainly unemployment insurance if I got laid off (which came off my paycheque every week). I only had any medical/dental etc. for about 4 months at one job and DH had coverage for about 6 months at one job and I was partially covered too. Now I work no matter what - literally. I was forced to take 10 days off when I had a cast on my wrist and couldn't drive but that's been the only lengthy sick time off I've had in the last 18 years.

I do now take 2 weeks of vacation every year but no one pays me for that. I love what I do but there are no financial benefits of any kind for the self-employed in my line of work.

Oops - dinner is probably burning.

Dagmar :dizzy:

Steph7409
01-15-2013, 09:17 PM
My former job was in the tax department of an accounting firm. We joked that, during tax season, we were all expected to come to work unless we had lost a limb, so everyone came to work sick. I once came to work after a stop at the ER for a fainting spell! Now I work at a big oral surgery practice where everyone but me is paid hourly, so they have to use their meager time off if they want sick time. I guess we're all supposed to be happy just to have a job, and grateful if we get medical benefits. Gah.

I'm still really struggling with my eating but am keeping up with my workouts so I am barely maintaining. Sometimes, I'm just sick of myself.

Is anyone going to watch the Lance Armstrong interview with Oprah? I always figured he was doping but it seems like it was a well-orchestrated program involving many people. I'm not sure I want to hear his side of it.

shcirerf
01-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Megan, I think it is horrible that jobs exist that don't have sick leave. It's so stupid. I mean, how much do you save by not giving them sick leave compared to how much you lose by having a sick person infect 90% of your workforce? It's absolutely ridiculous. Same for people who have to use vacation hours for sick leave (my company does this for hourly employees -- I'm salaried so it doesn't apply to me). It's like, what happens if you get sick right after you took a vacation? I guess the rest of the office is going to get infected because you can't stay home.

I could rant about the ridiculousness of American labor laws for ages. I mean, isn't this what all of the strikes and union formations back around the turn of the 20th century were for? Occupational health and safety? It's like we're making backwards progress and it's ridiculous. At least we still have worker's comp and OSHA, even though many people don't have sick leave, vacation hours, medical care, overtime pay, etc. etc. etc.

In any case the folks at my office who I was complaining about coming in sick are all salaried and have the same benefits as me, and are all capable of working remotely with their laptops, so they have no excuse. Sadly people feel like they have to come in in person so as not to give the appearance of slacking off.

My current job does have sick pay, per se, however with 2 FT employees and 2 PT, our boss told us if you are sick stay home. He always pays us for sick days. However, it's a perk we don't abuse.

shcirerf
01-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Ok, guys, bear with me for a minute as I throw a pity party for myself.

This is turning into a banner week. My weight has spiked up from this weekend and I'm feeling really hungry all the time. I'm about 4 pounds over where I want to be. I can't figure out what is going on.

Then I went out for a run at lunch and my IT Band was KILLING me even wearing the strap and so I could only manage 4 miles.

Now this afternoon I found out that one of my favorite clients relapsed on heroin. I had to call him into my office and then send him to jail so he just left here in cuffs.

Ok, I just needed to vent for a minute. Hope things start looking up!

Jen

:hug:

I've been having a hard time the last 5 days or so, but it's been so darn cold here. I'm freezing and want to eat hot food. We don't have a lunch/break room at work, and our boss prefers we do not eat in the building, so, we pack our lunch or go out to lunch. Since I pack mine, I end up eating in my car with the heater running. Sucks.

I did go invest in a thermos, so I can at least have some hot soup.

The boss also has a bad habit of opening the back door, that leads to the large animal vet room that we don't heat all that much and leaving it open all day. It's friggin' 0 outside and the cold air rushes up the hallway and it's freezing in the office!

A few weeks ago, the vet tech and I shut off the heat vent to the Doc's office, and cracked open a window in his office, he still leaves the dang door open.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the vent front off of his office vent and plugging it with cardboard, and cracking his other window open!:D

The dumb thing is this guy will pinch pennies in the dumbest ways, and then pay an astronomical heat bill, because he won't shut the doors!:?:

Ok, I kinda got off on a vent!:D

bargoo
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Janelle, I got cold just reading your post.My suggestion, thermal underwear.

CherryPie99
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Hugs to you Jen. I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel better about your weight-- mine is spiking too and I don't know why-- I'm super frustrated-- misery loves company?

I feel bad that you are experiencing this, too, but it is always good to know that you are not alone! Scale remains 4 pounds up today :(

My friend texted me last night and she made all the funeral arrangements - on her own. She said that she is going to call me today to talk a little more. I asked if she was eating and she hadn't been. I gave her a text lecture about how she is going to end up hospitalized and she agreed to eat something.

I am cold all the time, so just the thought of having a door wide open when it is freezing out makes me SHUDDER. I love my maintenance guy - he has my office heat CRANKED and (shhh.... don't tell anyone) he even turned up the heat a little in the spare room that is ONLY used when I work out in there a couple days per week!

Jen

Megan1982
01-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Speaking of food dreams... I do get them occasionally, but only ever when I have been in losing mode and restricting calories quite low (bc in order to lose, I can't "just make better choices" and there is some hunger involved). Last night I had a dream about a Chinese buffet. There were really flimsy paper plates and every time I served myself something, the plate would fold or buckle, food would slide off, and I never got to eat. Once I had a dream I was a contestant on the bachelor. I had no interest in the bachelor bc I still had my real-life BF, but I didn't want to get eliminated bc they had a big dessert buffet with this delicious chocolate cake. Jen, when I get in this state there are usually buffets involved in the dreams and they are about eating a lot of food. Though more often trying to eat the food than doing. Like the paper plate collapsing or getting kicked off the bachelor, something is keeping me from it.

Janelle, I don't know if you're comfortable enough with your boss to do this, but perhaps meet ridiculous behavior with ridiculous behavior. If he is going to leave his door wide open when it's this cold, you & the other techs wear snuggies to work, or wear hats and gloves and coats the whole day, etc. Or tell him if he's going to keep it that cold, he needs to let you bring in a microwave to heat up tea to keep you warm. Or install a padlock on the outside of the door in the middle of the night so he can't open it. Brrrr. :brr:

How did I miss the imagine of Saef fighting the zombies for her Prozac? I can see the tank top showing off your nicely toned upper body, too. Love it!

bargoo
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Megan, I ,personally, like the padlock idea. Genius !

ICUwishing
01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Sorry I've been AWOL/lurking/not posting! I'm fighting off a cold and needing to do that makes me pretty crabby and antisocial. Usually I can tell within a day or two if I'm going to win or lose; this one's dragging on, leaving me at 80-90% and not doing much except keeping me from doing all the stuff I want to do! My only option seems to be continuing with the vitamin C bombs, getting an extra hour of sleep, yadayadayadayada until the decision goes one way or the other.

As an employee of an automotive OEM, I have probably some of the best benefits in the country, despite them being scaled back multiple times. At least in my department, the support for staying home while sick is total. I've been requested to call in to a meeting once or twice ... :D I do appreciate that the insurance changes force us to learn about how much medical and dental costs are, and I personally think that the new initiative that boils down to "live a healthy lifestyle, or pay more for your premiums" is a good thing. One can choose not to participate, but it will cost you big $$$!

traveling michele
01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Megan-- your food dreams made me chuckle!

Janelle-- brrrr..... I'm cold too just thinking about it. When I get to work in the winter, the library is always frigid (56-59) and I crank the heat-- it takes hours to get up to 68-70 but it eventually gets there. What bugs me is ALL day the teachers/staff/students will open my doors and leave them open. I have to walk over and close them. I've had birds fly in the library, get up in the rafters and not leave-- very messy! I've put signs on the doors that show a bird and say close the door-- I would just think it is common sense but apparently not!

The scale was down a little today but it's got a long way to go. I think it was afraid of my wrath if it went any higher. I came home to an awful mess yesterday. Pretty much the worst animal mess I've ever come home to. Jozi (my Great Dane) must have eaten something (dead?) outside-- it looked like brown paint had been dumped all over the floors-- sorry for the TMI-- hope no one is eating breakfast! She seems okay now-- I pray she is because if I come home to that today I will cry...... I was cleaning floors all night (luckily we don't have carpet!).

Re: sick days-- technically I have them but I never take them because the school district won't get a sub if I'm gone and the library is closed. I will take them if I'm very ill but that rarely happens.

Shannon in ATL
01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
I love the image of saef fighting the zombies for meds. It made me snicker this morning, I'm totally picturing scenes from Terminator 2 with saef in the lead role. :)

I discovered that my strep came from a woman working in the restaurant downstairs. No sick time, hourly employee, single mother with two kids who felt like she had no choice but to come to work. I ranted for a while yesterday on our employment system forcing sick people to work. I've been the hourly employee with no sick time in the past, too, so I understand where she was coming from absolutely.

Jen - I'm sorry about your client. On the tails of your friend that had to be hard. Other than eating is your friend doing okay? And your weight will settle back down. Be careful on the IT Band - it could tweak for a while.

Dagmar - yes, I think Shat's taste is for wine.

Janelle - you need a space heater. LOL You mentioned baking chicken pieces in the oven with hot sauce as a sub for wings, what do you do? DH and I LOVE wings.

Becky - hope you feel better soon!

I'm still a little tired and draggy. I might go home early today. I want the tired to go away.

:wave: everyone!

traveling michele
01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm writing to avoid the huge spread that just arrived in my staff room to celebrate January birthdays. I glanced at the sweet, sugary stuff and snagged a couple of pieces of fruit before hightailing it out of there.

I'm wondering if part of my weight woes are the fact that I'm eating at maintenance levels instead of weight loss levels. I think that some of us (myself at least) lose the weight with a combination of diet and exercise, and then keep up the exercise, but loosen the rigidity of the food. I need to quit "experimenting" to see what will happen if I eat something off plan-- I know what happens--- I gain..... I have so many future food events that I need to not eat off plan AT ALL except for those rare occasions. The next one is my hubby's 50th birthday-- we are going to Napa and eating at one of the top restaurants in the country (the chef is on Food Network a lot)... I know that weekend will be way off plan. Then, I have a cruise the end of March (plus my birthday in March)-- other than that, I will stick to plan!!!!

I joined the Bunco group on Meetup and now realize that there will be a lot of food involved! Each month has a theme-- for example February is BBQ-- each person brings something-- I signed up for "salad"-- I'll figure it out later but I will make it yummy and healthy! I hate to go meet new people and be the weirdo who doesn't eat so I'll have to be very careful at these evenings-- I already don't drink and it looks like drinking is involved too....sigh...

CherryPie99
01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Jen, when I get in this state there are usually buffets involved in the dreams and they are about eating a lot of food. Though more often trying to eat the food than doing. Like the paper plate collapsing or getting kicked off the bachelor, something is keeping me from it.

That's really interesting that the dreams seem similar but that I was stuffing myself and you don't get to eat! I only remember having a dream like this once before (early on) where I was walking from Wendy's and cramming french fries in my mouth and I KNEW I should stop, but I COULDN'T.

Shannon - Hard to tell with my friend - hoping she will call today. I am trying to respect her grief but he was SO TERRIBLE to her that I want her to be mad at him instead of sad. She asked that in lieu of flowers that donations be made to a local drug/alcohol treatment program, and I thought that was awesome.

Speaking of the Walking Dead, I love this show but we watch it when it comes out on DVD so I've seen none of season 3 - so no spoilers, please! I love, love, love getting scared - and scaring people. I am infamous for hiding in closets and jumping out and scaring people or under things and grabbing ankes - I'm a sick puppy!

Jen

saef
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Am I the only one who wants to eat & eat when she's in a room that is very cold? I've struggled with the temperature in my apartment, which is steam-heated, though with the radiators hidden in the walls. When winter finally arrived, and the radiators heated up for the first time, I found it was so stifling in here that the candles that I've stuck into the wall sconces were bending and drooping, and remained soft enough for me to take them down & straighten them. So when my mother visited, we both painstakingly pried off the wall grates and turned the knobs to shut down the radiators. But we seem to have shut down too many because during the daytime -- as with today, after sleet and snow -- there's a slightly dank chill in the air. It's good for my antique furniture but it's hard because I'm sedentary & just typing on a keyboard, so I'm not moving around enough to give off heat. And I'm certain that it makes me eat more. I shudder after cold drinks. Probably I should go for the herbal tea but -- I'm really not an herbal tea type of person.

Shannon, I'm somehow fascinated that you were actually able to trace the source of your illness. And yes, who could blame that woman for working while ill?

I'm another one who's salaried. At the start of every year, my employer gives us a batch of PTO days (for "paid time off"), which aren't designated as sick days or vacation days. Since I've worked here a while, I get about 30 of them. They are just neutral days off that you use when needed. I tend to rarely use mine for sick days, since my department has a fairly flexible work-from-home policy. When I take a sick day, I am really sick. But really, I don't get sick as often as I did when I was fat. My male coworkers who work from home a lot & have grade school children get sick a lot.

My co-op just chartered a bus yesterday to attend another meeting of the municipal zoning board, to once again beg for permission to raise our flood wall. The neighboring apartment complexes and people who own houses and who have also been flooded also appeared to voice their opposition. Our engineer has sent along voluminous reports that show that our displacing the flood water will not affect them. Two members of the zoning board who spoke up during the meeting seem favorably inclined. The opposition got a one-week extension for delivery of further materials ... but the board plans to make a decision on February 19th.

Anyway, I got in from that late-running meeting at 9 PM, unhappy at getting to bed late, knowing I've got a full day today, which includes my year-end performance review and also, a conversation about a managerial position in my department that just opened up. It was a fact-finding conversation, not officially part of the interview process, but I knew it was important. The guy with whom I spoke beat me out for the previous management position that opened up. I tried to reassure him that if I got the new position, I'd consider us collaborators, rather than competitors. I do have a competitive nature at the office. If only I were able to think of him as someone on this board who's lost a lot of weight & struggles with maintenance, then truly I would be collaborating with him as an equal & brother.

saef
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Shannon - Hard to tell with my friend - hoping she will call today. I am trying to respect her grief but he was SO TERRIBLE to her that I want her to be mad at him instead of sad. She asked that in lieu of flowers that donations be made to a local drug/alcohol treatment program, and I thought that was awesome.

Jen, I've got a friend whose rampaging, unmedicated manic-depressive husband has, for the third time in two months, gone on a tear during which he smashed her belongings, put a lock on their bedroom door, tried to get into her personal bank account and tried to shut off her cellphone and the Internet. During his previous rages, I've tried to be a good friend to her. But from experience, I say little about the husband ... I try to say that my friend deserves to be loved and to be safe, and not to live like a parolee who has to always be on her best behavior, lest she set him off. The reason I don't talk directly about him & how I feel is that after he rages, he generally becomes really penitent and then they are close again. (Until the next time he loses it & tells her how horrible she is.) And in those periods, she seems to withdraw from any negativity previously expressed about the man & the relationship. I think this time, she may have really had it. All this to say, I understand something about how you feel about your friend's husband's death.

Also, I have wondered if my problems with food & eating disorders give me any particular empathy with substance abusers. There are alcoholics in my family & I always wondered if there was some genetic component there that contributed toward my eating my way up past 257 pounds. And if that genetic component also feeds into my obsessive tendencies.

Sheila53
01-16-2013, 02:09 PM
There are alcoholics in my family & I always wondered if there was some genetic component there that contributed toward my eating my way up past 257 pounds. And if that genetic component also feeds into my obsessive tendencies.

I believe so, saef. I, too, come from a line of alcoholics (father, mother, maternal grandfather who committed suicide). Here's a link about a study: http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2011/01/genetic_link_between_alcoholis.php

I particularly identify with the sentence about seeing alcoholics in your family can scare you into not drinking, but you're predisposed to seek the same kind of gratification with Ben & Jerry's instead. That's certainly me in a nutshell. I drink a glass of red wine a day, have only been drunk twice in my almost 60 years and really hate being out of control--except that I am out of control when I binge eat.

krampus
01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
My father - and apparently all the men I date - have alcoholic or otherwise addicted, severely depressed, overweight fathers. Freud would have a FIELD DAY with that one.

I am adopted so I don't know my own genetic predispositions too well, but I like "uppers" and sugar, but not necessarily alcohol - I never struggle with saying "no" to a fifth or sixth drink. I do struggle with saying "no" to a first or second, which leads to nibbling and is keeping me a couple pounds higher than I'd prefer.

There are worse things. I do not want to make this about TOTAL CONTROL since we all know how that goes.

paperclippy
01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Saef, good luck with getting your complex's wall approved! You are not the only one who wants to eat when cold. For me, I find that in general when I get hungry I tend to get cold (some kind of blood sugar thing perhaps), so I think somewhere along the line I learned that cold + food = less cold. Of course the only thing that this is always true for is that if I am cold and I drink hot tea, I will be warmer.

Megan, I forgot to say congrats on your pack test!

Michele, yuck I hope Jozi is okay now!

I have food dreams occasionally, but not very often. Once I dreamed I was swimming in a giant pool of chocolate pudding! More often my dreams are along the line of wanting to eat some dessert from a big buffet and not being able to get to it somehow.

SunnySide99
01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone! As a brand new maintainer I just wanted to take some time to quickly introduce myself. I started my weight loss journey last January. I had a few restarts so I did not officially get serious until early last summer. I have kicked butt since then and ended up going from a size 18 to a size 10 in 6.5 months with diet and exercise. (I'm tall and larged framed so a size 10 is healthy for my size).

I do moderate exercise 5 - 7 days per week (powerwalking, lifting, ice skating), I practice IF (Intermittent Fasting) just about everyday and I pretty much eat what I want with portion control and planning.

Now I have to figure out how to add more calories in my day slowly without going overboard. Also I don't want to cut back on exercising because I truly enjoy working out so I need to find that balance, but it will come in time. :)

My mind has still not processed this new phase in my life yet. I have never lost this much weight before, but I am confident I have the tools and knowledge to make this a lifestyle.

Thanks for reading. :)

traveling michele
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Welcome Sunnyside! And congrats on your loss. What is IF?
Stick around-- maintenance is a roller coaster and we are all along for the ride!

SunnySide99
01-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much Michelle!

IF stands for Intermittent fasting (sorry I have updated my post with the full name). Basically I get all of my calories in for 7 hours each day and fast for 17 hours in a day.

Rollercoaster ride eh? Yikes. I've always heard weight loss was easier than maintenance, but I'm ready...I think. lol

traveling michele
01-16-2013, 04:03 PM
IF stands for Intermittent fasting (sorry I have updated my post with the full name). Basically I get all of my calories in for 7 hours each day and fast for 17 hours in a day.

lol

Interesting.... don't know if I could do that. What does your typical day look like? Do you plan on continuing with it long term?

bargoo
01-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Wekcome, SummySide and congratulations on a great loss. Maintenance s a trip but we are all here to cheer each other on.

paperclippy
01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
:welcome: SunnySide!

Ishbel
01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Megan1982 Your bachelor dream actually made me laugh out loud. I didn't want to get eliminated bc they had a big dessert buffet with this delicious chocolate cake I totally get THAT dream! :)

Jen Careful with the t-band...I ignored some hip pain thinking it was muscles (internal conversation was "you can work this out") turns out it was bursitis in both hips and I had been running on it for months. Got so bad that I couldn't climb stairs (this is where I stopped running), kept thinking it was muscles so stopped running and started going to massage. Just got a cortisone shot last week and I'm not entirely 'happy' with the results but I AM going to start to 'walk' to see if it's better. A friend gave me a book (she's a fitness guru) "running injury free". I know your a super duper runner so maybe you could check out that book if you have never heard of it. (I've seen none of Walking Dead Season 3 either so no spoilers here!)

saef I want to eat when I'm cold too, but I usually just drink A LOT of warm/hot water with lemon.

SunnySide99 :wave: I'm new to these this maintainer thread and am quite new to maintaining too!

I can't get over how cold I am and here I was hoping it would change when I stopped losing weight...

You guys would love my office right now, granted you'd probably only love it for 15 minutes...the heat is broken...ON! So it's +30 C and I have the window open and its -15 C so it comes down but it can be difficult to work in. :/ When it was FIRST discovered, the lady said there were heat waves coming off her furniture. That was before Christmas, part isn't in until the 21 Jan :rolleyes: So all the nice beautiful sweaters I bought this fall aren't being worn!

SunnySide99
01-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Thank you bargoo, paperclippy and Ishbel!

Ishbel - The extreme temps in your office must make a very long work day! At least the 21st is right around the corner.

traveling michele - This is a typical day for me - I wrote on another thread:

"In the mornings I start off drinking a room-temp glass of fresh lemon water with a half tsp of ACV. After about an hour I get a workout in which is anywhere between 20 mins. - 1 hour depending on how I'm feeling. Then I shower and start eating at 10 or 10:30am.

Lastly, I stop eating at 4:30/5 pm and have nothing during the fast except for water or tea. My largest meal is my lunch (1/1:30pm) and my smallest meal is dinner. This routine is perfect for my schedule. I do need to adjust my hours some days, but I still get a 17/7 or 16/8 schedule in everyday."

Mind you I do not have children and I work from home so I do have a ton of flexibility. Whether it's sustainable or not I will have to see once summer comes. I'm usually up earlier and I stay up later compared to the winter months, but for now it's great. I'm never hungry, although at first I had to get used to not eating first thing in the morning. We'll see though. :)

Steph7409
01-16-2013, 06:36 PM
saef, good luck with the zoning board. It sounds like you have science and professional opinion on your side (not that such things are always the deciding factor). My neighborhood is having some zoning trouble as well. There's an enormous empty church (abandoned by the Catholics 20+ years ago) that the local historic foundation took over from the city a few years ago and now wants to sell to a microbrewery to use as a beer factory/bar/restaurant. Most of us are unhappy about it but I think we're going to lose.

Also, good luck with that management position. Are you the only internal candidate?

My new workplace is either freezing cold or unbearably hot. It's just ridiculously uncomfortable most of the time. I am much colder now that I've lost weight and gone through menopause, but I still prefer it to be under 75 in the office.

Jen, I too wish your friend would be mad rather than sad. I've never understood why people give their parents a free pass to be utterly horrible to them. It seems to me parents should be held to an even higher standard than others, not a lower one.

michele, there was a woman at my meetup dinner the other night who is doing Atkins so she just had coffee. None of us judged her! I hope your group will be as nice. Actually, I think people are more likely to accept "dieting" than not drinking. I don't drink (just don't like the taste) and that seems to befuddle people. (Jim Gaffigan used to do a funny bit on this. "We know you don't eat mayonnaise, but is it okay if we eat mayonnaise?")

shcirerf
01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Welcome Sunnyside!:D

As far as the eating when I'm cold, it's not that I'm hungry, I'm cold and want something HOT to eat. Hoping the hot food will warm me up. I was so friggin cold yesterday. When I got home I got the heating pad and cranked it up on high, and curled up on the couch with a comforter.

Thankfully, it was a bit warmer here today.

Dreams, hmm, they are, well what they are. Mine usually involve, trying to escape/save myself from harm, while seeing either my Dh or my father, (who has been gone a long time), telling me one more hill, run a little more, I'm over here, if you get over then next hill, I'll save you!

Weird!:?:

Ishbel
01-17-2013, 10:03 AM
I just have to post, today is my 9 months of being in 'maintenance' offically, but really 10 months of fluctating 5-6 lbs generally.

I'm pretty happy right now I gave myself until today to ensure that Christmas didn't do any long term damage. I knew I wouldn't be able to fix it immediately so I said "self, you have until the 17 Jan".

My fiance (VIP) has lost 50 lbs too (just recently) and together we have changed how we eat and generally our lifestyle. Just this morning we were talking about supper and I asked if he wanted some potatoes in his baked veggies and he said "nope, I would like popcorn for the movie tonight instead". Ah, how far we've come!

I know I'm a newbie (I'm generally in awe of all of you), but quite seriously I didn't care three years ago...I DID NOT CARE! I've never actually cared most of my life, I'm in grade 7 right now (I remember having to weigh myself in health class with two of my friends and I was mortified to be 162).

I love 3FC's!

traveling michele
01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Steph-- I think you're right about the not drinking vs. the healthy eating..... even my dh tells me I'm no fun anymore! I can't tolerate alcohol-- like an allergy but according to the doctor no one is allergic to alcohol-- but I feel horrible if I even have a few sips, so it isn't worth it. Makes me a great designated driver. It sounds like these ladies may go all out with the cooking which will make the temptations hard for me.

My dd is again thinking she wants to transfer to BYU next year. Dh is traveling her way next week on business and will see her to have a heart to heart. I'm not sure about my feelings one way or the other. It would be a lot cheaper for us so that is a plus anyway!

My weight is slowing moving downward (I hope).....

I decided to go "old school" and buy a pedometer. I was thinking back to things I did when I was actively losing and the pedometer seemed to motivate me to move more.

Dh comes home Saturday and leaves Sunday so I'll have 24 hours (actually less) with him. He asked if we can get sushi Saturday night instead of Italian. I told him there was no way I was getting Italian so I'm glad he suggested sushi!

CherryPie99
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Jen Careful with the t-band...I ignored some hip pain thinking it was muscles (internal conversation was "you can work this out") turns out it was bursitis in both hips and I had been running on it for months. Got so bad that I couldn't climb stairs (this is where I stopped running), kept thinking it was muscles so stopped running and started going to massage. Just got a cortisone shot last week and I'm not entirely 'happy' with the results but I AM going to start to 'walk' to see if it's better. A friend gave me a book (she's a fitness guru) "running injury free". I know your a super duper runner so maybe you could check out that book if you have never heard of it. (I've seen none of Walking Dead Season 3 either so no spoilers here!)

Thanks for the advice! This is TEXTBOOK IT Band problems. The good news is I worked legs HARD last night including lots and lots of squats and neither band pouted about it. I hope your hip problems clear up. I looked up that book and it looks like I can buy a used one from Amazon.

In other news, my friend never contacted me yesterday. The funeral is tomorrow so I'll be going to that - I hate funerals in general and especially this will be a Catholic funeral so it's bound to drag on (sorry to any Catholics here ;) )

Weight inched down a LITTLE this morning, but I'm still well above where I would like to be. We are dealing with freezing cold this morning and icy sidewalks so I'm feeling sorry for myself to have to be relegated back to the treadmill.

Thursdays are my absolute busiest days and my case manager's kid has pink eye, so I'm suffering through alone today. I'm pouting about that. So glad I have a 3 day weekend - this has been a crappy week!

Jen

Megan1982
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
My BF has been on a diet for 3 days. In our 7.5 years together, I have never known him to go on a diet. He wants to lower his BP (which he does need to do), and reduce his beer belly (he does have a little one, but is skinny everywhere else). I think he's the type to cut out beer for 2 weeks and immediately drop 10 lbs. I tried to reassure him that the food I make is healthy anyway. I do hope he exercises more. I think that is what will be key to him reducing his BP. We'll see how long this lasts...

Steph and Michele, I'm sometimes in social situations where I'm the only one not drinking alcohol (ETA - to clarify, I do drink sometimes, but choose not to at other times). I will avoid alcohol for caloric & health reasons, or of course if I have to drive home I won't drink much. Sometimes I'm with people who don't care/never mention that I'm not drinking, but often I get a lot of peer pressure to drink something. I have a bazillion responses and deceptions ready for the pressure-ers, but it can be really annoying. Do I need alcohol to be fun? I don't think so!

Jen, hang in there. Hopefully you will get to relax and de-stress during the long weekend.

Mmm, Michele, enjoy the sushi!

Ishbel, good for you and your fiance! Sounds like you've really made the lifestyle change together.

Saef, please keep us updated with P&Z's decision. I hope it favors your complex and you get your retaining wall.

Welcome, Sunny!

This work week is creeping along. Sigh.

bargoo
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Another non drinker here and I find nobody really cares after I say"No, thanks."

Sheila53
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Ishbel, happy 9 months of maintaining! As you're well aware by now, that's an awesome achievement. I like your VIP's response to the potato question. Right back there with you in school and weighing 162--my doctor said I wasn't fat, but gave me little round pills that kept me up all night. I got into the 140s, but without the pills I couldn't stay there.

Michele, is the reluctance for BYU because it's too far away? Glad the IT band didn't bother you with squats. I had an IT band issue when I was running. It must be the runner's curse.

Megan, good for your BF to work on lowering his BP by diet. I'm trying to get my DH to do that. It's super annoying, though, when men give up one thing and drop all the weight in two weeks what it takes me five months to lose. Ah, well.

Jen, icy sidewalks are the worst. We're warming up to 39 next Tuesday after weeks in the 20s for highs. I hope the "thaw" will remove some of that stubborn snow pack on the sidewalks.

Got back into my regular jeans today after spending too much time in my "fat" jeans. So the holiday weight is slowly coming off, with emphasis on the word slowly. Off to lunch at a Greek place today where I'm getting one dolma and a cup of lentil soup. Going to concentrate on conversation--my friend has a new BF that I haven't met so I'm eager to learn what's been going on with her.

Megan1982
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Oh yes. I remember with dread the days when the whole class had to go, as one, and weigh in at the nurse's office. I was definitely one of the heavier ones in my class and was always so embarrassed by that number the whole class could see. What torture!

SunnySide99
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Thank you shcirerf!

Ishbel - Congratulations! I can not wait to be able to say I'm 10 months in. :)

Megan1982 - Wow that's great about your BF! Sounds like you are giving him great inspiration!

bargoo - I'm moving away from alcohol myself. My fav. drink has around 500 calories in it. So not worth the calories!

Sheila53 - Glad to hear the holiday weight is coming off!

My first big test is coming this weekend. Hockey is back so I'm going to have to really watch the snacking! Hopefully I'll be back with a "I did great" report!

By the way....I was looking for a introduction section in the sticky area and didn't see anything, however I just found it on another page. Sorry for derailing the thread earlier!

paperclippy
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
In general I've enjoyed a glass of wine or a cocktail with dinner here and there, but I've never been a heavy drinker so it's never really been my problem calorie-wise. This is probably a good thing too since it was extremely easy to give up alcohol for pregnancy. (Also, def. the easiest way out of being offered alcohol in a social situation! Nobody would offer it to a pregnant woman!)

I'm struggling with what to do with my cooking club meetup group right now. The guy who was supposed to host our January meetup next weekend is in the hospital with double lung pneumonia. I'm torn between offering to host it ourselves even though we hosted the last one in Nov., or cancelling it. I don't really want to cancel since we have some new people signed up (new year's resolutioners) and we haven't gotten newbies in a long time. Sadly our group has diminished and we don't have many people available to host. Then I feel bad for worrying about this when I should be worrying about the guy who is in the hospital! (He's had a tough year -- his wife had a terrible infection and was hospitalized for a while, then his mom has been on the decline, and now this. I think he's about 65 or so.)

In other news, my laryngitis is resolving and I can actually talk today. Yay! Also went for another ultrasound this morning which showed two healthy babies, and they were able to identify that they are girls! Apparently they want to do US every two weeks. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the doctor's office.

bargoo
01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Two girls , Jessica ! How exciting. When is their due date ?

Steph7409
01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Twin girls - think of all the cute clothes you can buy!! Not that you'll have to buy much, if the few baby showers I've been to are any indication.

megan, I dreaded being weighed in school too. I'm in my 50s so it was a long time ago, but some of those embarrassing memories haunt me still.

Sheila, good news on the jeans. I hope you get a thaw. We had a couple of warm days that got rid of the last bit of snow we had, although I'd rather have snow than ice. I'm so afraid of falling! I got some of those yak trax things and they help some.

Jen, I hope your weekend is restorative even though it's starting with a funeral.

I've got a job interview next week, about which I am optimistic. My new job just isn't what I want and I'd like to move on quickly. I feel like I need to be settled job-wise to get back to eating right. I have such a low tolerance for anxiety.

Mudpie
01-18-2013, 06:55 AM
"Dogmaggedon" is only 12 hours from being over - :dance: I get an hour break, dinner and then I go dogsit until Sunday night. Next week will be "normal" :p.

Except I'm starting with a rescue dog who is from Turkey! I should have guessed that a dog named Bulut (Cloud in Turkish) would not be coming from Canadian lab rescue. The woman who is fostering her gets her Wed. night and then has to be in meetings all day Thursday. So Bulut will spend most of the day with me on the doggie bus.

I saw a video of this dog. She is a female mutt - very mixed but definitely some sheperd-like features. I am going to look at a house (to buy) tomorrow. I know I have to wait until Mud and Mishi live out their lives (they are too old and fragile to be joined by a dog) but I'm really liking what I see on the video.

Hmmm. I've been searching for dogs in Canadian rescues. Maybe I should look father afield. I really want to get a "mutt" mutt - not some crossbreed that's been engineered to be 3 parts something and one part something.

SIGH. No new house 'til I sell the family home. No dog until the cats have passed and until I have my own home. Sometimes I feel like my life is at a standstill. Just work, eat, sleep, repeat.

But there is a much brighter future coming and I'm SO looking forward to it.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

bargoo
01-18-2013, 09:04 AM
dagmar, what kind of dog do you reccomend, a small, apartment dog ? Doesn't have to be purebred ? I like big dogs, actually prefer them but my apartment will only accomodate a 25 pound or so dog. I had a cockapoo, he weighed about 19 pounds he was just the right size.

Megan1982
01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Morning all,

It was so windy yesterday that I tried and failed to walk the dog more than a mile, which was both of our planned exercise for the day. It has calmed down a lot so we'll go a lot further today. It was literally gale force winds. I don't know how Dagmar does it. I give up too easily on the "hard" days. I have a 3-day weekend from work through Monday. Tomorrow is a big cookoff fundraiser that a friend is organizing. BF & I want to go support her and the fundraiser, but I'll probably eat lunch before I go and skip most of the food. I know there will be fried things, butter, and cream abounding, it's inevitable and I don't want to get there hungry. A friend is also doing a BBQ w ribs on Monday. I'll probably bring some chicken to throw on the grill for myself, and maybe a non-mayo coleslaw side to share. (Anyone have any better ideas for a guilt-free BBQ-type side dish?)

Jessica, congratulations! I agree, there is sooo much "girl" stuff that is just so stinkin' cute! Very exciting. Why not offer to host for your cooking club, but ask to do potluck idea so you're not left with all the responsibility? It sounds like you would regret it if the meeting was missed. Suggest you make a plate of samples and have everyone sign a get-well card for the member in the hospital (but get a non-pregnant volunteer to deliver it).

Dagmar, Bulut sounds like a really well-traveled dog. How did he get from Turkey to Canada without a permanent owner?

Steph, GL on your interview. Let us know how it goes. :crossed:

Sunny, I think sports snacking has a lot to do with who you're watching with. Some people want the snacks, others don't care. Stay strong!

What are everyone's plans for the weekend, besides watching hockey? :)

bargoo
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Megan, for your side dish, a plate of assorted raw vegies and a dip, maybe a dill dip. I have found that even the non dieters always like this.PS, the dieters can skip the dip.
I forgot, here is a delicious and very attractive salad, served in a glass (pyrex) dish to show off it's beautiful colors.

Cherry tomatoes.
An equal amount of Mozzarella balls.
Marinated artichoke hearts, cut in half
A few sliced black olives
Vinaigrette dressing.
The proportions are up to you but keep tomatoes and mozzarella about equal the olives are mainly for color, my opinion.

paperclippy
01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Bargoo, they are due June 28th but are expected to arrive around 36 weeks, so probably the beginning of June.

I am definitely excited about buying cute clothes to dress them up in. :) On the other hand, right now I'm stressed out about figuring out how to buy the right kind of cribs, car seats, strollers, etc. I want to just snap my fingers and have the "hard" shopping done so I can do the "fun" shopping.

Steph, good luck on your job interview!

Dagmar, I find that the most likely place to get a real mutt of a dog is the local animal control. Animal controls are almost always full of mutts and pit bulls, as opposed to rescues which are usually breed-specific. Then again, we got our lovely mutt Mr. Carter from a rescue, but it wasn't a breed rescue.

Bargoo, if you are looking for a dog for yourself you probably want to think about how high-energy you want your dog to be and things like that first, before the size. Terriers can be kind of nuts if you don't get them lots of exercise, whereas other small dogs (like pugs) are happy to lay around the house. Think about what the dog was originally bred for -- was it bred to hunt vermin? Or was it bred to be a lap dog?

Megan, I usually bring a vinaigrette-style slaw to those sort of events, or else a nice big salad. I prefer vinaigrette slaws to mayo slaws in any case. As for my meetup group, all of our meetups are potlucks, so it's just a matter of coordinating and cleaning up the house rather than having to cook a lot of food.

Yesterday DH and I tracked my protein intake. I made it to about 145g, thanks to a late-night protein shake. We'll see how I do today. I'm skeptical that I'll ever be able to make it to 175g without protein shakes, so we're going to go to Whole Foods this weekend and see about buying pregnancy-safe protein powder.

I am back in the office today. First order of business: wiping down my entire work area with Clorox wipes and setting some hand sanitizer right in front of me. Hopefully I will avoid picking up anything else. I washed my hands three times while putting my food in the fridge and getting a cup of tea in the break room! (Maybe I should get some hand lotion too...)

traveling michele
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Jessica-- how totally exciting!! Are they identical? Have you all been working on names yet?

Steph-- good luck on the job interview! What kind of work do you do?

Bargoo-- I love, love, love my mini dachshund but some of them have terrible personalities-- others like mine are amazing. I made sure to meet the mom and dad and the other dogs. We also had a Boston Terrier-- he had a great personality too.

Weekend plans? My dh will be home for less than 24 hours before leaving again. We will get sushi, and do some work around the house-- believe it or not our fake Christmas tree is still up as he left before we could take it down and I can't do it myself.

My redline is 125 and this morning I was down to 124.8. Now, not to screw it up over the weekend! I looked at my weight on my birthday last year-- 119. I'd love to be closer to that by this birthday-- about 6 weeks away so that's what I'm plugging away for.... doubt I'll get there but I want to get as close as possible.

bargoo
01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Jessica, I have never had twins but I can almost guarantee that by the beginning of June you will be so ready for them to arrive. I would mainly buy the bare essentials for now as you will get lots of gifts for them, They outgrow clothes very quickly so I would concentrate on the boring stuff, cribs ,diapers, gowns shirts , receiving blankets and of course, car seats are essential. Have fun shopping !

WardHog
01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Megan, I made a broccoli salad at Christmas and it was delicious (and very pretty) - here's the recipe:

4 c. broccoli florets, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 c. chopped unpeeled apple

toss with dressing:
1/4 c. plain Greek yogurt
2 T. mayonnaise (you could probably use all greek yogurt and omit the mayo and not be able to tell the difference)
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
3 tsp. sugar

sprinkle with
1/2 c. dried cranberries, chopped
1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

CherryPie99
01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Bargoo, they are due June 28th but are expected to arrive around 36 weeks, so probably the beginning of June.

My birthday is June 3rd - you're going to have your hands full with a couple of Gemini's!!!!! ;) Can't wait to hear about the names you are choosing!!!

Just got back from my friend's father's funeral. She is holding up much better then I expected so I was glad to see that.

Sun is out today but it is COLD here. Going to try to get a run in as the sunshine is always good for me. I can feel it elevating my mood in the last couple of hours.

I have had all purebred dogs since I moved out on my own, but as a kid we had a terrier mutt and I swear he was the smartest dog I've ever owned!

krampus
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Arghhh after being 125.8 every day this week I was 126.0 today - that's what I get for deciding to not drink for one night and go to the gym in the morning, I guess.

Sheila53
01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Twin girls--how cool! We have a consignment store in town where we got a lot of nice kids' clothes inexpensively. They outgrow them so fast.

Dagmar, glad Dogmageddon is coming to an end soon, and you can relax. So are you buying a house where you live now, or are you still planning on moving west? Mutts are my favorite, too. We have tons of them at our shelter--lots of herding breed mixes because of the rural areas.

Steph, good luck with the interview. What kind of work do you do? My DH had a phone interview yesterday, which is supposed to be followed by an onsite interview. He has another phone interview today. We're hoping to be able to stay in the same area, but are willing to move for the right job. He already turned down one job--it's nice to have the luxury of doing that because so many don't.

Wardhog, that salad sounds yummy!

We have a cat who is the remaining pet of our "pack" of 3 cats and 4 dogs. It didn't take her long to become a diva, and she now hates all other animals. I tried fostering kittens, and she growled, hissed and just generally terrified them. I tried fostering a cat-friendly dog, and the cat was so intimidating that the dog went for her and bit my leg instead. In 20 years of shelter volunteering, that was my first and hopefully my last dog bite. Anyway, if I get another dog, I'd like an older (4-6 years) mutt about 25-30 lbs. who likes to walk and hang out, fetches, and is crate trained, housetrained and very friendly. Not asking too much, right?

bargoo
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I'd like an older (4-6 years) mutt about 25-30 lbs. who likes to walk and hang out, fetches, and is crate trained, housetrained and very friendly. Not asking too much, right?

Pretty much what I am looking for, maybe just slightly smaller, under 25 pounds.

paperclippy
01-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Michele, yes, they believe they are identical (ultrasound shows only one placenta). We've definitely been looking at names. It's hard! There is one name I really like, but I'm hesitant to use it because it turns out it's super-popular right now. When I was a kid there was almost always at least one other Jessica in my classes because Jessica was the #2 name the year I was born, so I'm hesitant to give my kid a top-five name. OTOH, if I really like the name, does it matter? :?: Also I think nowadays the frequency of names is more broadly spread, rather than in the past where like 70% of kids had a top five name.

bargoo
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Michele, yes, they believe they are identical (ultrasound shows only one placenta). We've definitely been looking at names. It's hard! There is one name I really like, but I'm hesitant to use it because it turns out it's super-popular right now. When I was a kid there was almost always at least one other Jessica in my classes because Jessica was the #2 name the year I was born, so I'm hesitant to give my kid a top-five name. OTOH, if I really like the name, does it matter? :?: Also I think nowadays the frequency of names is more broadly spread, rather than in the past where like 70% of kids had a top five name.

Jessica , name your daughters what ever you like, just don't give them a wierd spelling or something they have to explain the rest of their lives.

Before my grandaughter was born her mother wanted to name her Princess, I kept my mouth shut but I was not in favor of it, evidently common sense took over and they named her Faith.

paperclippy
01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
LOL Bargoo, I am definitely avoiding all "modern" names. I'm advised by my coworkers who've recently had kids to not tell anyone what the names will be in advance so that we don't feel pressured to change them to something we don't like as much, so we will probably be keeping our name choices secret.

bargoo
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
LOL Bargoo, I am definitely avoiding all "modern" names. I'm advised by my coworkers who've recently had kids to not tell anyone what the names will be in advance so that we don't feel pressured to change them to something we don't like as much, so we will probably be keeping our name choices secret.

Good advice !

Steph7409
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Jessica, I agree that you should keep the names to yourselves. It's amazing how many people feel that they can weigh in on such matters. My birthday is June 9, so another Gemini here. Twin Gemini girls - you're going to have your hands full!

Dagmar, I too am curious as to how a mutt from Turkey made it to Canada. Will he understand English commands? Maybe he'll just pretend not to anyway. (One of my favorite dog stories: my stepmother had an Australian Shepherd who was super smart and a bit of a jerk. Sometimes, she would tell him "down" - a command he knew perfectly well - and he would just duck his head. Ha!)

megan, I hope the winds have died down. It was blustery here today, too, and cold. Unlike Jen, I was not tempted to go for a run even though it was sunny.

bargoo, I'm not sure I could have kept quiet about "Princess." Egad. Speaking of crazy names, I was checking a patient's eligibility on a website today and saw the name Omnipotent Jones. Who does that to a kid?

I've got a good feeling about my job interview. Up until last November, I worked at a mid-sized accounting firm in the tax department doing bookkeeping and tax prep (I'm not a CPA, more of a paraprofessional). Then they fired me, after 14 years (downsizing, ostensibly) and I got a job with a client, a big oral surgery practice. It's just too hectic for me - noisy, crowded, my tiny desk is pretty much in the kitchen. So I contacted a small CPA firm I had spoken to briefly in November and asked if they were still interested and they said yes. I've spoken to one of the partners a couple of times and I think it would be a good fit.

Have a great weekend, everybody!

bargoo
01-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Steph, good luck on the job interview.

Shannon in ATL
01-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Good luck on the job interview, Steph. I understand the environment change being unsettling - I left a smaller, family owned restaurant company for Home Depot and left to go back to a different family owned restaurant. I didn't like the hustle and bustle of the crowd.

Jessica - identical twin girls! How cute will that be. :)

Sheila - if I could find that dog I would adopt it! Sounds perfect. :)

Jen - I wish I had gone out in the sun today for a run, it always helps me too. I ended up on the elliptical at 9

Mudpie
01-20-2013, 10:54 AM
I am almost back from the dogsit. My client is flying in from Philadelphia in the "late afternoon" which means 5 p.m. for him. I have accepted an invite to my niece's birthday party for 5 p.m. I sincerely hope my client is not delayed by the 60 KPH gusting winds currently buffeting Toronto not allowing his plane to land. I'm torn between telling him, "yes the darn dog will be OK for 4 hours on her own - she's been for 3 walks and is 10 years old FPS" and ducking out of the dinner early to go feed the darn dog and let her out for a pee.

These are great clients but the dog is so Not the spoiled princess they make her out to be. She can happily sleep for a couple of extra hours.

The Turkish dog is coming right from the airport to my client's apartment. :yikes: I suggested the much more humane approach of letting the dog have a rest/recovery day first, before she gets thrust into the mainstream in Toronto. As far as I can tell, from the video for Turkey my client forwarded, this is a street dog who has had a bit of rehab. No idea how she will react to my "pack" (particularly Lucy loon). My client will also be away all day the day after the dog arrives. She has managed to get her sister to come down and spend the day with this dog. Disoriented, confused, poor dog!

This is such a mess. I know the intentions are good but I think this dog would have been much happier as a street dog in Turkey, rather than a "fur baby" here. I've found most dogs LIKE being dogs. They don't feel "deprived" if they don't get enough to eat or need to sleep on the street - that is what they have and they accept it.

End of rant. SIGH. I will make the best of this and try to get this dog a home with experienced dog handlers.

Time to go back out into the wind. I get next weekend off - :dance:

Dagmar :tired:

bargoo
01-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Dagmar, I wondered about that Turkish dog, too. Why hasn't she arranged to have the dog spend his first few days here with his new owner? I think the way she has arranged it will only add to the dogs confusion. In the US we have thousands of dogs that need new homes, we don't have to go out of the country to find one.

Mudpie
01-21-2013, 06:51 AM
bargoo Sorry I've been unclear about the situation. The Turkish dog is being fostered by my client and she will be trying to place the dog in a new home. I will walk the dog while she is being fostered and, if she gets a home in our area, then I might continue walking her for her new owners.

My client's scheduling went to heck - she did plan on spending the day at home with the dog after it arrives. But work changed and now she's in meetings all day. She didn't know how disorienting the plane journey would be for the dog - she is not really a "dog" person. But she did as I asked and found someone who can spend the day with Bulut. I will meet the dog in the evening and suggest what should happen the next days, depending on my assessment of her.

bargoo
01-21-2013, 09:04 AM
bargoo Sorry I've been unclear about the situation. The Turkish dog is being fostered by my client and she will be trying to place the dog in a new home. I will walk the dog while she is being fostered and, if she gets a home in our area, then I might continue walking her for her new owners.

My client's scheduling went to heck - she did plan on spending the day at home with the dog after it arrives. But work changed and now she's in meetings all day. She didn't know how disorienting the plane journey would be for the dog - she is not really a "dog" person. But she did as I asked and found someone who can spend the day with Bulut. I will meet the dog in the evening and suggest what should happen the next days, depending on my assessment of her.

I may have been confused I thought she was going to be the new owner. For now it sounds like you will be the stabilizing influence for this dog.
One more question , why is she bringing this dog from Turkey ? I know for a fact that there are thousands of dogs looking for homes in North America.

Mudpie
01-21-2013, 06:56 PM
I may have been confused I thought she was going to be the new owner. For now it sounds like you will be the stabilizing influence for this dog.
One more question , why is she bringing this dog from Turkey ? I know for a fact that there are thousands of dogs looking for homes in North America.

We are all wondering why she's bringing the dog all the way from Turkey. I have been looking at rescues (for my own future dog) and there are many, many deserving animals just in my home province. I will find out the whole story Thursday night when I meet the dog.

Dagmar :sunny: