Weight Loss Support - On The Verge of Quitting

View Full Version : On The Verge of Quitting

RavenWolf
01-13-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm so ready to quit. I measure portions. I'm counting calories. I'm sore from walking. I'm depriving myself of everything. And the scale went up 0.8 pounds!

This is such a fail. I just did 10 minutes of walking and quit. No motivation. No desire to bust my butt and get no where.

Losing this weight is a dream that is not going to come true. I'm beyond depressed.

Mozzy
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
How long have you been at this?
I understand your frustrations, things will get better. Hugs

fitbyforty
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Could you provide more details about your diet etc?

twinieten
01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Giving up isn't going to get you to your goal!! So don't do it!

How long have you been doing this? How much weight have you lost?

Weight loss is not linear. Weight goes up and down. It fluctuates based on what you eat, TOM, how much exercise you do, and any number of things. Overall, it should go down. That's what you need to look at. The movement over time.

Really, when you think about it, you didn't even gain a whole pound! What you gained could be gone, and maybe even more, by tomorrow. It's certainly not worth throwing in the towel for!

Compare to me. I'm up 4 pounds from yesterday and 6 pounds from January 1!! That's really bad. I was normal BMI, and now I'm overweight again. Don't get me wrong, I'm frustrated. But I understand that this is reversible. I will eat better today, and commit to being better about what I'm doing and what I'm eating.

Don't give up now! It's too soon! Keep moving forward!

kimberleyanddarren
01-13-2013, 01:09 PM
I know how you feel! I have felt like this a lot lately. I have 10 stone to loose and the road seems so long that I cant see a light at the end of the tunnel and so I end up reaching for the cookies again!

Are you nearly due on or something else which can trigger this? It can be really disheartening, but I think we have to try and remember that if we give up we will just be back here trying to start all over again in a few months time.

RavenWolf
01-13-2013, 01:13 PM
In the morning I have low fat yogurt, a hard boiled egg, and a glass of milk or cofee, with measured creamer. I used to do a lot of sugar in my coffee but eliminated that.

Lunch is 1.5 cup spinach, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/2 a tomato, 1/4 cup cheese, and 50 calories worth of dressing. Dinner is a whatever we are having and I portion on amount of calories I have left open.

I drink at least 64 ounces of water flavored woth real lemon or cucumber slices.

I am 226 pounds and walk 30-45 minutes a day, which hurts but I do it.

Small changes don't add up. Gave up mayo, butter, cereals, potatoes, sugar in my coffee, soda, ice cream, and other things over the years and never saw any good out of it. I havd bread oncr a week with lean ham, slice of cheese, and topped with half a serving of low fat ranch.

Serving of pasta once every two to three weeks. Rice abput the same.

betsy2013
01-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I totally understand. This weight loss business is the hardest job that we'll ever do, and it seems like it's so easy to put on pounds and then takes weeks to get them off. There are times when I want to quit -- and, now that I'm in my 60s I have a lifetime of quitting diets to look back on. I also look back on having shot my hips and knees, from having to have lots of medical procedures done to make sure I haven't given myself cancer of some form from the obesity, and to missed opportunities because we all know that fat is the last acceptable discrimination.

So, use this forum to figure out what's working for you and what isn't. There are some true experts here. And it may take a few days/weeks/or even months to find an approach that works for you.

Also, you're walking a lot. That's great. It boosts your metabolism and it helps to build muscle. But muscle weighs more than fat so initially you're going to possibly even see a weight gain like you're seeing. But in a few weeks, the muscle begins helping with the weight loss, with keeping your metabolism revved up longer, and with just making you feel better.

One thing that has helped me is I have a weight loss buddy -- and she lives 3 hours away so it's being done via the computer. But it helps knowing that we'll be weighing in and sharing weight and inches lost every week. And it helps to share hints and what works and what doesn't.

Good luck.

JohnP
01-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Educate yourself about the difference between fat loss/gain and water loss/gain.

Knowledge is power.

vabs
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Think about what it's going to be like during weight maintenance. Will you be able to go for that walk when your weight goes up 0.8 pounds then? Will you continue to deprive yourself of everything to keep the weight off?

Because your weight maintenance is going to look very, very much like your weight loss. That's why having sustainable behaviors now matters so much. If you hate what you're doing at this point, then you need to change it! It's normal to be frustrated, but I noticed something about what you wrote: they're all negatives. Maybe you could focus on things that aren't restrictions (e.g. have veggies with each meal, or drink a certain amount of water each day, or try a new physical activity once a week). Add on new goals slowly, once they've become habits, and it's probably not going to suck as bad. :D

No, it's not going to be as fast as restricting from the get go. But this doesn't have to be a sprint. It DOES have to be something you can live with.

teddine
01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
I signed up for "my fitness pal" and I find it very helpful. If you log everything, you realize what is going on. Before I would just think "I don't understand why I don't lose weight". Well, now I see it. HArd numbers. If you want to lose weight it is hard work... But once you start, and find the twist, the motivation comes back :)

krampus
01-13-2013, 01:33 PM
"Motivation" and "winter" don't go together very well, but 10 minutes is better than 0 minutes.

You have no protein in your lunch and your breakfast is tiny. No wonder you feel deprived! I don't know what you usually have for dinner, but if it is heavy/salty and you weigh in the morning, you might not see your progress measured that way.

Deprivation sucks and I don't think anyone eats at a deficit without feeling hungry or annoyed they "have to" be doing it. That being said, if you decide you hate eating healthy and exercising and losing weight after sticking with it for a while, you can always go back - gaining is easy.

GettinFit
01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
RavenWolf - I totally understand where you're coming from. The same thing always happens to me when I start working out. This time around, I decided to pretty much stay off the scale. I used to weigh daily but not seeing the scale go down or seeing it go up was messing with my mind and affecting whether or not I stayed on plan. Now I'm focusing on inches lost, how my clothes are fitting and my overall health.

I know if you hang in there and keep up your healthy habits, the scale will eventually go down.

drixnot
01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
If you are sore... then you are also swollen with water. Water is quite heavy at 8 pounds a gallon. That .8 pound is less than a glass of water. Take a day or two off of walking but keep up with the diet and THEN weigh in. I think you will be quite surprised.

ALL injuries will trigger swelling and working those unused muscles create tiny tears in the muscle tissue.. so every place that is sore is filling with small amounts of water... the more you hurt the more water is there.

fitbyforty
01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Do you know how many calories that adds up to?

NorthernChick13
01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
The fact that you posted on here shows us you don't want to quit! You want support and we're gonna give that to you!

Losing weight isn't just about pounds...there is an emotional side too. Ultimately, you've got to forgive yourself for putting on the weight and learn to love your body's successes and struggles. And as for depriving yourself, there are ways to eat healthy and still be full and satisfied. Maybe your plateau (if it is one) is your body's way of asking you to shake it up.

You can do this. I don't even know you but I believe in you. NOTHING is impossible. OKAY!?

misspixie
01-13-2013, 02:58 PM
You gotta think long term not short term. One week might have no weight loss another might have 3 lbs weight loss. How long have you been at this? Cause if its week 2 or 3, well, this is reality. If this is happening for say 3 or 4 weeks then your at a plateau and need to switch things up.
Long term not short term if you can think where youll be in 6 months if you keep at it youll be happier. If you lose 1 lb a week for 6 months thats 25ish lbs. Would you be happier in 6 months 25 lbs down or at the weight your at now or more? Patience and long term that gets the job done.

RavenWolf
01-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Just got another 21 minutes of walking in because I would really be angry with myself tomorrow if I didn't get it in today.

Positives:
1 I am drinking at least 64 ounces of water a day.
2. I am getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.
3. I no longer crave soda.

I am going to try and only weigh on Fridays.

RavenWolf
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
This is week 2 for me. And I am really struggling. I need to lose 60 by July, 40 at the least but it doesn't look like I will get remotely close.

I was hoping to lose 10 this month which would have been encouraging. Not hitting 10 pounds this month is going to kill my resolve.

I have tried many times over ths years to lose weight, implementing small changes that supposedly would add up to something but never did. My sister and friends do the same and start dropping weight. It is so discouraging.

:(

Desiderata
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Can I ask what is happening in July that you "need" to lose 60 lbs?

If you can, let go of the time goals - X lbs this month, X lbs by such-and-such date. In my experience, they don't help -- they don't do a single thing to help you lose the weight, and more often, it feels oppressing instead of motivating. Like you're constantly failing because your body refuses to conform with self-imposed, arbitrary numbers.

Letting go of the time-based goals was wonderful for me this past year. It's true what they say -- the time is going to pass anyway. Keep plugging away, and if you're eating at a calorie deficit, you will most definitely be lighter in July.

misspixie
01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Week 2...dont sweat it. Easier said than done. It really is consistent effort over a long period of time keep the long term goal in mind.
Let me ask you this -- say you give a hundred percent effort and on July 1st your down 30lbs. Would you rather have not done anything and stayed where you are now or be down 30lbs? Ill bet youd take the 30lbs. Keep that in mind and get off the scales scales are for fish. Put in the work and the rest will take care of itself maybe not on your schedule but itll happen. I can garantee you that if you quit NOTHING will happen and youll be in July right where you are today.

novangel
01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Raven, 3 pounds is a lot of weight to lose considering I lose on average .5 and sometimes nothing in a month, but I'm close to goal. It WILL come off as you continue to count calories and exercise more. Be patient this takes time.

suzyslimdown
01-13-2013, 04:58 PM
everyone is right, your simply stuck and frustrated. Shake it up and try some different things. I find it easy the first 2 weeks to drop a quick 6-8 lbs, and then I get stuck for at least 2 weeks and just try change something..maybe get some resistance bands or small hand weights to add to your walking? I even try changing my calories up go low for a couple days and then have a higher calorie day and then drop back to an average? We all have different weight to lose and we all lose at different rates. You haven't majorly blown anything and .8 lbs is nothing I agree with the soreness and retaining water. Hang in there, your doing great that darn scale is making you doubt yourself...Don't let it..your in control...not that scale. You can do this, good for you getting back up and finishing.

forreal
01-13-2013, 07:11 PM
It doesn't seem like you're eating enough and you may be in what I think is called "starvation mode" and it's actually slowing your weight loss.

How many calories are you allowing yourself? Go to "The-Calorie-Counter" or "Lose It" and the site will show you how to compute how many calories you should have each day. On those sites they have a place to keep track of what you are eating and also look up the calorie content of the food you are eating.

I would have something like this each day:

Breakfast:
I have an egg wrap=I small flour tortilla with one egg (or egg-beater) with mushrooms or peppers/onions; fruit and a cup of tea or coffee.
-- or have 2 slices light toast with peanut butter; fruit and tea or coffee.
Lunch:
Make a big salad if you can with lots of veggies and then add tuna or chicken, with fat-free or lite dressing; small pita bread.
-- or make a sandwich on pita with tuna or chicken, with lettuce and tomato.
Dinner:
Protein (meat or fish) with a sweet potato or pasta or rice with chicken flavoring and veggies. (I enjoy Green Giant broccoli and cheese or cauliflower and cheese, both are low fat; or cook up some zuccinni; or peppers/onions. ----For lunch and dinner start off with some warm broth to help fill you up.
Snacks:
I make a smoothie or sugar-free pudding or light yogurt with cool whip.
I have a piece of fruit.
I make light pop-corn.
Continue to drink lots of water.

Don't let yourself get hungry and try to vary your meals. I try to stay away from the scale. Believe it or not, I gave up on "dieting" last year and just started eating "normal portions" of "normal food" and not weighing myself and I lost 50 pounds without realizing it. Someone mentioned I looked like I was losing weight and I said no, I'm not dieting - but next time I went to the doctor I actually got onto the scale and it showed a 50 pound loss in aroung 8 months. I was shocked!! But I have a LOT to lose and it took a long time before the loss actually started to show.

So DON'T GIVE UP. I started reading the "Intuitive Eating" thread. If you think DIET you think "struggle" -- just try to make better choices and limit the portion sizes.

Good Luck and stick to it.

Mary

Vex
01-13-2013, 07:38 PM
If you give up, how much weight will you lose? Zero. You'll probably, if you're like most people, keep gaining.

A year from now, would you like to have lost weight or gained it? If you give up, guess what that answer will be.

How about 5 years from now? Chances are, if you don't give up, you'll probably be at your goal weight, otherwise who knows how much you'll weigh?

I'm not sure how old you are, but don't be like me and continually give up until you're 41 before you decide to finally do it.

Losing nothing during a week despite being on plan happens, so does gaining. The key is just to keep going, no matter what you see on the scale. It's the OVERALL loss that's important.

Kaitie9399
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Raven: Keep up the good work---you're doing the right things, the numbers on the scale will go down eventually. Try not to let it bother you, you're ultimate goal is to look and feel better--it'll happen.

'One year from now you'll be glad you started...'

kadian43
01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Don't give up, maybe you need to change up your diet a bit. We all have different body types and I believe that you may need to be on a diet based on your body type. Read my blog on how I discovered this. It will open your eyes, I hope.

shcirerf
01-13-2013, 09:59 PM
There is no failure only feedback.

In all honesty, 10 pounds a month is unrealistic, and most likely not healthy.

I also don't like time based goals, your mind may be willing, but your body, well, some days, not so much.

It takes time to learn to get your mind and body on the same page. As long as you keep doing the things that your mind knows are right, your body will follow, maybe slower than you'd like, but it will.

So, I'm going to tell you a little story about myself and my journey in weight loss and maintenance.

In early August of 2011, I came home from my WW meeting, tired and depressed. It was taking forever to lose the last 7 pounds and I was cranky and frustrated. So, I went to the garden to pull weeds, a great stress reliever for me. While on my hands and knees, pulling weeds and petting the cat and the dog, I was also having a pity party, wondering why I couldn't just be like normal people and not have to count my points, and my servings of veggies and protein and fruit and yada, yada.

In the middle of the act of throwing yet another weed over my shoulder, it dawned on me, maybe, I needed to redefine my notion of normal.:dizzy: So, as I continued to pull weeds, I mulled this over in my mind. What did I really think normal was?

I thought about all of the people I'd seen in the last few days, at work, at the grocery store, at the gym, the gas station. One woman particular came to mind. I was 51 at the time, this lady whom I know is several years younger than me, and obese, and has been for a long time. I had just seen her earlier in the day at the grocery store. With a cart load of nasty junk food, and wearing support stockings. The kind that don't have toes and came up just above her ankles. Her toes were almost black and you could see the purple/black creeping up above the support stockings!

On the same visit, I also saw a several folks who are regularly at the gym, fit, healthy, their carts were full of mostly good, healthy, nutritious foods.

Yeah, I'm weird about looking at that kind of thing.:D

As I sat in the garden amongst my organic beans and carrots and squash, etc. watching the cat and the dog play, I realized, NORMAL, isn't a big ole average of people, normal, is what works for ME.

I realized that if I want to be at a healthy weight and have a fit body, and avoid the support stockings, and the threat of all of the health issues that come with long term obesity, I have to count my WW points, and get in all my servings of fruit and veg, and lean protein and calcium, etc. and work out.

It was very refreshing to finally define normal, for myself, not for some goofy notion I had about the world around me.

It took me another 2 months to lose the last 7 pounds but I did it!:carrot: The good news is, now in 2013, I'm down another 3 pounds, I work out, I love my WW lifestyle. I do indulge now and then. But I make sure it's something I really, really, really want, like my Mom's home made date cookies, that only appear one day a year, Christmas! This year I did not eat this cookie at Christmas dinner, because I knew I would eat it in the midst of all the visiting and hub bub and not even realize it. So, I brought 1 home and waited until I had a quiet moment, made a cup of apple cinnamon tea and totally enjoyed the 1 cookie!

This is a long journey of learning your mind and your body.

My best advice, track everything, if after awhile it's not working, research it, ask questions, be willing to go out there and change it up. See your Doctor.

Most of all "BE PATIENT" with the process, and "BE KIND" to yourself.:hug:

novangel
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure how old you are, but don't be like me and continually give up until you're 41 before you decide to finally do it.

I agree. I'm so mad I waited until 38 to do this but better late than never.

RavenWolf
01-14-2013, 08:22 AM
I agree. I'm so mad I waited until 38 to do this but better late than never.

I am 36 and this is not my first attempt. I hat that so much of my life has been fat. By the time the weight comes off, my kids will be grown and I will have missed out.

My husband and I are expected to be at the military ball in July. If I can't drop at least 40 I am not going. There is no way I will find a dress being 5 foot 2 and fat.

I haven't even been able to lose 5 pounds. Today my body feels like I got hit by a truck. And for what? Am I healthier for it? :(

April Snow
01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
I can't tell whether this is more of an emotional vent thread or if you are looking for specific suggestions.

But a couple of questions - you mentioned you portion dinner out based on how many calories you have left - how many total calories a day are you having? And what kind of food are you eating?

Also, have you tried a low carb plan? They are definitely not for everyone but esp. if you have a time goal you want to achieve, they do tend to work more quickly for many people. And if it's not a comfortable long term thing for you, you could still try to meet your goal to lose as much as you can by July and then transition into a more flexible calorie counting plan.

And have you been to the doctor to get checked out and make sure there are no medical concerns that could impact weight loss - diabetes/blood sugar, thyroid, etc.?

RavenWolf
01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes I have been checked by the dr and had low potassium and low vitamin D, which I was given supplements for.

I posted a typical day of eating earlier in this thread and I get between 1400 and 1800 calories a day.

This is moreso a vent but all the advice is much appreciated. I really need to stay away from the scale, but I am addicted to weighing every day.

Today I even started putting a tbs of acv in a glass of water.and drinking it. Some say it aids in weight loss and cellulite reduction.

Thank you all for the suporrt and advice. I did get my exercise in this morning and hopd to walk again later.

Amarantha2
01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Never quit doing anything that is worth doing, no matter how long it takes or how many deadlines you don't meet.

Never, ever, ever quit.

oddberry
01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
I feel your pain Ravenwolf, I really do. I have done everything and I do mean EVERYTHING to get this weight off and I honestly don't know what it is I'm doing wrong. Ok, that's a lie. I do know what I'm doing wrong but I don't know how to prevent it from happening. I get started and then I fall off again. I'm stronger than I give myself credit and so are you. It's going to take commitment and a lot of sweat combined with tears but you will get there. Stop looking at the scale and set goals for yourself for the week. Don't weigh yourself, measure yourself. Don't tell yourself that you're going to give up, tell yourself you're going to GET up!!

novangel
01-14-2013, 09:16 PM
I am 36 and this is not my first attempt. I hat that so much of my life has been fat. By the time the weight comes off, my kids will be grown and I will have missed out.

My husband and I are expected to be at the military ball in July. If I can't drop at least 40 I am not going. There is no way I will find a dress being 5 foot 2 and fat.

I haven't even been able to lose 5 pounds. Today my body feels like I got hit by a truck. And for what? Am I healthier for it? :(

Keep going and by the time you're my age the weight will be completely gone! The alternative isn't what you want. Don't give up.

novangel
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Never quit doing anything that is worth doing, no matter how long it takes or how many deadlines you don't meet.

Never, ever, ever quit.

^^ Love this! :carrot:

ChickieChicks
01-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Seriously great advice so far on here. 3FC to the rescue again! :)

Please go to the ball in July, whether you lose the weight or don't. It is these things that you will look back on and regret. There are plenty of dresses for short, heavy women. I am your height and I thought I looked banging at my highest weight at the military balls. And like a previous poster mentioned, if you "only" lose thirty pounds by July, so what? That would still be awesome and would probably equal a smaller dress size or two.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

berryblondeboys
01-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Is giving up really an option?

I did that once when I regained the weight I lost. I lost 50 pounds. I was finally looking and feeling good and then life got busy, my schedule got all messed up and I started to see the scale go up. There was a lot more to it (and I've learned so much since then), but I really said to myself, "I will never diet again. I will never try to lose weight again. And i didn't for over a decade out of fear.

What happened? My health deteriorated. So did my relationship with my husband - and it wasn't just my physical appearance - but my lack of energy. my lethargy. I was a slug. Who wants to be married to a slug?

So, after a health scare, I got my act together. for one full year I just plugged along. I was doing great. This past year all I needed to do was work on fitness and drop the last few pounds. I was getting there, but then from May to December is was up and down and up and down with injuries, hectic schedule, vacations, and ending it all with holidays. I ended the year at 195 after getting to 165 in April.

I could easily give up. It's not working, right? It's too hard, right?

No... I got lazy with my eating. I gave into the carb monster that wreaks havoc on my system (and my head). I know what I need to do and I will do it again (and again and again if need be).

This isn't a one stop deal. It's a life long journey. For the rest of my life I will need to be vigilant. We ALLLLL should be. Even skinny people aren't usually skinny forever at some point we all have to start thinking about weight and We ALLLLLL should be thinking about fitness - skinny or not. It's the getting fit part that's the most imporant part and I'm proud of myself for not giving up on that even when I was gaining weight. I kept working out because that was the most important part of staying healthy.

So... don't think of it as an option to give up. If you were to do so, where would you be in a year? five years? Does it look pretty for your appearance or your health? probably not.

KittyKatFan
01-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Please don't give up. The weight will eventually come off. Even in the absolutely remote case that it doesn't, changing to healthier habits will improve your overall health.

Misti in Seattle
01-15-2013, 09:23 AM
I certainly feel your frustration... lately the plateaus are driving me up a wall! But giving up is not the solution.

And planning to lose 10 pounds a month is setting yourself up for disappointment and failure. That is highly unlikely to happen. Weight loss is a slow, methodical process fraught with frustrations along the way. But it can be done, and YOU can do it too!

Hang in there. And I would suggest that you search out the forum and involve yourself in some threads that encourage... it helps to develop a positive attitude towards it and even make the process fun!!

Go for it

weight2lose
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Ravenwolf,

I used these words in a football presentation for our local team, but I think they work just as well here. They are from Jimmy Valvano's ESPY awards speech (check out the youtube video). Here is an excerpt:

•"Don't give up, don't ever give up."

•"How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it."

oddberry
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
@weight2lose...love that! Love! Love!

another one I seen recently was...

'You can't start the next chapter in life if you keep re-reading the last one.'

Words I live by daily! Don't hate yourself for yesterday. Love yourself today!

Munchy
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I know it sounds like eating healthy has to equal deprivation, but it really doesn't. There are ways to make just about everything fit into a healthy eating plan. What is it that you really like to eat? You can either make the same things tweaked a bit or get the same flavor profile that you like. It helps tremendously when you don't feel like you're eating weird foods, because you're actually enjoying what you're eating.

Many of us are eating burgers, pizza, pasta, rice, etc. My way of eating these things and not going over my calorie budget is by incorporating a ton of non-starchy vegetables right into my dishes. Other foods like chilis and stews are naturally high in protein and easily low in fat/calories. They're also really filling and, for me, more appealing than raw veggies or a salad, especially in these cold winter months.

What is your goal for calories per day and what did your typical day look like before?

jayohwhy
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
If you quit, you know what is going to happen- your weight will either stay the same or go up, leaving you worse off than before.

It's more difficult to continue, but at least it's something you haven't tried before. You have nothing to lose but weight.

I'm going to be brutally honest and say that if it even hurts to walk for more than a few miles a day, you have a problem and NEED to exercise your muscles to get them stronger! Once it hurts to walk, it's definitely taking away from your quality of life and possibly leading you to an early grave.

rubidoux
01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
In the morning I have low fat yogurt, a hard boiled egg, and a glass of milk or cofee, with measured creamer. I used to do a lot of sugar in my coffee but eliminated that.

Lunch is 1.5 cup spinach, 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/2 a tomato, 1/4 cup cheese, and 50 calories worth of dressing. Dinner is a whatever we are having and I portion on amount of calories I have left open.

I drink at least 64 ounces of water flavored woth real lemon or cucumber slices.

I am 226 pounds and walk 30-45 minutes a day, which hurts but I do it.

Small changes don't add up. Gave up mayo, butter, cereals, potatoes, sugar in my coffee, soda, ice cream, and other things over the years and never saw any good out of it. I havd bread oncr a week with lean ham, slice of cheese, and topped with half a serving of low fat ranch.

Serving of pasta once every two to three weeks. Rice abput the same.

I haven't read all the replies, but here's my take on this...

It looks relatively low carb except for that yogurt and milk and possibly something at dinner. Plus, you're having your carbiest stuff in the morning when it's harder for our bodies to handle. Especially since it's such a small change for you at this point (just having to swap out the yogurt/milk at b'fast), I think you should try serious low carb. If you do that, you can add in some good fats and feel much more satisfied. (I wouldn't feel satisfied eating what you are, anyway.)

At least in the beginning, and for many people all the way through, a low carb weight loss journey, you don't have to worry about fat or portions (it's self limiting for most people, you just can't put away a ton of meat and cheese and egg) or calories. Just eat until you're full.

I would also put off the exercising. It's completely unnecessary for weight loss. It is great for health, though, so I'd bring it back in when you get down to a weight where it doesn't hurt. Also, if you're doing low carb, you'll have way more energy and you'll actually want to exercise when you get to the point that it's good for you. I am a serious couch potato and I actually hit a point, at about 170 pounds, where I wanted to move. Crazy!

Erika79
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
So many of us have been there. But quitting gets us nowhere. Only behind.

I really think you need to up your cals at breakfast and lunch. In ALL my previous efforts to lose weight, I felt soooo deprived. Back in my early 20's, I lost 90 pounds. I regained a bunch, mostly because I was "dieting" and not changing my lifestyle. I ate SO wrong, and I couldn't keep up with it. I ate until 1200 calories and my types of foods totally didn't matter. Processed, 100 calorie packs, canned soups. I was sooooo hungry.

I've been trying to reform my foods. I eat lots of lean proteins, green smoothies, berry smoothies, etc. I'm REALLY satisfied and not at ALL deprived. And I'm staying more in the 1400-1600 range and losing. I feel lots better.

Maybe you just need to juggle your foods around, and types of foods? See what makes you feel satisfied, then you won't feel deprived.

But don't give up, you got this.

Beach Patrol
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
So, after a health scare, I got my act together. for one full year I just plugged along. I was doing great. This past year all I needed to do was work on fitness and drop the last few pounds. I was getting there, but then from May to December is was up and down and up and down with injuries, hectic schedule, vacations, and ending it all with holidays. I ended the year at 195 after getting to 165 in April.

I could easily give up. It's not working, right? It's too hard, right?

No... I got lazy with my eating. I gave into the carb monster that wreaks havoc on my system (and my head). I know what I need to do and I will do it again (and again and again if need be).

THIS! IS. EXACTLY. WHAT. HAPPENED. TO ME! - I mean, down to the very last syllable! Except my weight was 153 in May, and now I'm back up to 166. Thirteen pounds may not seem like a lot to some folks, but it's the death spiral for me. I remember a few months ago when I came on here lamenting that I had gained "5 pounds" and everyone was so supportive and sweet with their "it's ONLY 5 pounds! be glad it's not 25 or 50..." well, it's those first few pounds that lead to the 25, 50, 100 lb gains, isn't it? And yeah, I knew it while it was happening... got "lazy" with my eating, just like you said Melissa!! Giving in to the carb monster IN ADDITION to slacking on my exercise, and now here I am... belly all bloaty, bat wings a'swing'n, butt drooping, cellulite .... celluliting... ugh. I'm angry at myself. Fed up! (what a horrible pun!) But ready to charge like a bull thru it YET AGAIN. Because my motto? NEVER. GIVE. UP. Yo-yo dieting is not good, but it's better than not dieting, not losing weight at all. So I won't quit trying. No matter how many "breaks" I feel like I need to take. No matter how many different ways I approach the fat loss battle, no matter how many desserts I choose to pass up... WHY? Cause as my mama always used to say "Can't never could" - if you say you CAN'T do it, well then, you never could do it. And I'm a fighter. So I will fight. Again.

So... don't think of it as an option to give up. If you were to do so, where would you be in a year? five years? Does it look pretty for your appearance or your health? probably not.

Yup, this too!!

berryblondeboys
01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Sorry you can commiserate Beach Patrol -but 13 pounds is doable - you just have to DO IT. And you know you CAN! Because you have in the past! Now DO IT! :)

RavenWolf
01-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Your replies have been so helpful! The quotes have stuck in my mind, and your stories have helped me feel more motivated!

I have not quit, and actually "want" to get out and walk, even though I have the pain. I may need to clarify that. I have fibromyalgia that I am NOT being treated for, by choice. I want to be medication free, so I have been suffering through it. It is incredibly hard on me, but my body has felt much better since getting off all my fibro, depression, and anxiety meds.

The other cause of pain is my right hip/leg, which is a constant reminder of a very old horse back riding (or bucking off!) injury I sustained.

I also added My Fitness Pal to my phone and I can't thank y'all enough for that recommendation! How convenient, easy to use and helpful! I am happily plugging in everything that enters my mouth and my physical activity. (Just out of curiousity, the MFP calorie burn for my activity is waaaay lower that my Endomondo calorie burn for the same activity. Which is more accurate??)

I have some hand weights that I would like to start incorporating. I am considering adding a session in today to see how it goes. They are 10 pounders so I am not sure how far I will get, any may have to invest in some lighter weights.