Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:31 PM   #1  

Default Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm due for my first consult in late July. My husband got this site from a lady on another site.. Hi Debkay.

Is there anyone out there in southern Illinois that has had, or is having the lap-band procedure? I'd love to talk to you.

Peoria is where I'm having it done and we're in extreme southern Il. About a 6 hour drive from Peoria. My other choice was Chicago.

Anyway I'd love to hear from you guys about your experiences before, during and after your surgeries.

What do you eat? Is there a difference in what you can eat between the gastric bypass and lap-band?

Thanks for any info.

Mary Beth.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:43 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

mary beth... soooo., just how nervous are you??? right after surgery, the emphasis is on protein and water. and after teh first month or so, the emphasis is on protein and water and exercise. and so it goes for the next year.

at first, ground things, soupy things, finely pounded things go down really well [and believe me, this is just a sweeping generalization; everyone reacts differently. i coul.dn't eat scrambled eggs for more than a year, but a deviled egg made with hot chili paste was just fine!]

carnation instant breakfast is NOT a food source!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:46 PM   #3  

hi Mary Beth!

I am still at the pre op stage. All my pre op testing is done and I just have to make the call to the surgeon to get a date.

post often so we can get to know you better.

peach
Old 05-07-2003, 02:06 PM   #4  

Talking Thanks!

Well JiffyPop, thanks for scaring the rest of the **** out of me!

Peach pit- seems like we are both at the early stage - Are you getting the Lap-Band?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:28 PM   #5  

Hey Mary Beth!

I originally wanted the lap band but my insurance does not cover it. They do, however cover the rny. When I went to the surgeon in April he did suggest that I would be a good candidate for the band since my bmi is just at 40 and I am pretty good at dieting....I have an extrememly long diet history! The surgeon did say he would do either procedure and to think about what I really wanted.

I think that if I could afford to or if my insurance would cover it that I would get the band and then if I couldn't work it, perhaps go through with the rny. There is a gal around here who did have the band...perhaps she'll check in sometime soon.

I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between what you can eat with the band and the rny EXCEPT with the band you do not dump. So sugar is not a problem for bandsters. (I could be wrong about that but I don't think so) In both cases you need to chew your food very very well.

You are in Southern Il.? How has the weather been by you?

peach
ps....yea....Jiff, my real life sister has been scaring the **** out of me for years!!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 10:22 AM   #6  

Thanks Peach!
Well the weather here has been real bad! My Co-worker just came in with pictures from the storms. Her neighbor was killed while covering his son with his body. It been bad for alot of people,but we are safe and dry for now.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:52 PM   #7  

Default preop too

Hi Mary Beth,

I'm a newbie around here also! But I'm excited because I just got my surgery date - June 5th! yay!

I've been reading tons of stuff concerning the surgery. (I'm having the RNY done) One thing that is disappointing is that I probably won't be able to have the laproscopic approach done because my doc thinks I've had too many abdominal surgeries already.

He was ok with the c-section, and the hysterectomy, but when he heard I had a small bowel obstruction, ehhhh... not too sure about whether he'll be able to see his way around in there with the scopes. bummer. (but he is going to take a peek 1st before he cuts)

Of course, being cut surgically, opens me up (ha, no pun intended!) to more chances of infection, longer healing, day or 2 longer in the hospital... etc.

ANYway, whatever it takes, I'm in there!

Nice to meet all of you,
~Mia

http://www.2x60.com
2x60=120lbs
Old 05-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #8  

Welcome mia!!!! Loved your web site and hope to spend a bit more time checking it out!!! Congrats on your date...it is right around the corner! Post often so we can get to know you and also because I am nosy and a bit terrified of going through the procedure myself...

but I am a wuss!!!

but knowing how other people are doing and what they are going through REALLY helps me.

MaryBeth! That is awful about your friend's neighbor. Stay safe !!

peach
Old 05-09-2003, 10:35 AM   #9  

Good to meet you Miatia! We are all hanging in there,waiting is the WORST! But it is so nice to be with others going through the same thing

Hi Peach I'm a chicken Baby who is scared of needles and I'm Diabetic...oh Lord help me
Old 05-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #10  

Default HELLO MARYBETHH

HELLO MARYBETH, WELL I HAVENT HAD THIS SURGERY BUT AM GOING THROUGHT THE MOTIONS FOR IT, AND STILL UNDECIDED IF I WANT TO HAVE IT OR NOT LOLOL JUST SCARED I GUESS. WELL MY BEST FRIEND HAD IT DONE AND SHE LOST 100 POUNDS SO FAR. SHE HAD OPEN RNY GASTRIC BYPASS IN CLEVELAND OHIO. I LIVE IN SHELBY OHIO. WELL I CAN TELL YOU WHEN SHE GOT HOME SHE DRUNK PROTEIN SHAKES LIKE ALL DAY JUST SIPPING THEM, ANOTHER WEEKOR TWO, SHE WAS AT BABY TYPE FOOD. SHE IS STILL HAVING PROBLEMS EATING CERTAIN THINGS, LIKE CHICKEN IT NEEDS TO BE REALLY CHEWED UP, AND OH SHE CANT EAT BREAD IT JUST BALLS UP IN A DOE BALL AND SHE GETS SICK, SHE VOMITS ALOT NOT LIKE SHE USE TOO, BUT SHE STILL DOES IT THOUGH. SHES NOT DRINKING WATER OR EXCERSIZING. IM WORRIED ABOUT HER ENERGY YOU WILL NEED TO HELP THIS SURGERY WALK LIFT WEIGHTS GETR TONED OR YOU WILL BE A BAGGY BAG. LOL SHE HAS AN APRON WHERE HER STOMAACH HANGS, WELL ANOTHER THING SHE CANT EAT ALOT OF PROTEIN FOR HER NEEDS SO SHES LOST ALOT OF HAIR. IT IS SO THIN YOU CAN SEE HER SCALP THROUGH IT. WELL HOPE I WAS OF SOME HELP. GOOD LUCK TO YOU, LOSINGSENA
Old 05-10-2003, 06:25 AM   #11  
she who must be obeyed

Welcome Sena and Mia!

Mia, I had my surgery lap, but I'm here to tell you I would have done open if that was what was needed. June 5th, will be here before you know it!!

Sena sorry your friend is having problems. I'm probably not typical, but I have NEVER, not once thrown up and I am over a year out. Nothing makes me "dump" which is a blessing and a curse.

Mary Beth, I also "WAS" a diabetic before surgery. I used oral medication to control my blood glucose. I was a type-2. Last fall my doctor proclaimed me to be a former diabetic. Some will argue the fact of "former." The reason I use that term is that is the term my doctor used. Needless to say I no longer use any diabetic meds, and my A1c is in the normal range.
Old 05-11-2003, 11:20 AM   #12  

Sena -the only way I am thinking about this surgery is to belive with all my heart that it will work for me.I've had hit bottom more or less and I know that I can't go on as I am. I can bearly wipe my own butt! So disgustingThanks for all the info. Mary Beth

debkay- My Dr. said that when I have the surgery I too will be non Diabetic!!!YEAH I have controled it for 5 years with a high protein diet and walking. I lost 30lbs the first year but nothing since

Miatia- congrads on getting you surgery date! I may not get my surgery any sooner than this Fall because all my Dr. does is WLS and teaches,he is a professior at U. of I medical school. I've heard nothing but great reviews about him. So I guss he's worth waiting for They say his bedside manner is the BEST, he's a father of EIGHT. I am a big baby ha

Peach- the best news is I already have spoke to my insurer and they told me they will cover ANY WLS deemed a medical nessiety
by my PCP!
Old 05-11-2003, 02:45 PM   #13  

Hi Mia!

Congrats on your date; it will be here before you know it!

I'm having my initial consultation with a weight loss surgeon on August 25, who came highly recommended to me and also happens to be an assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh medical school. They were very prompt about sending me some information in the mail, and the testimonials on this doctor on ObesityHelp.com made me even more confident about this doc.

Meanwhile, I have to do a 1500 calorie a day plan, as well as be checked by my PCP in three month intervals...plus all the documentation and paperwork for the insurance companies !
Closed Thread