Ideal Protein Diet - How Often To Use Collagen Products

IdealProteinNewbie
01-13-2013, 08:08 AM
I know there has been some debate about how often we can use the IP collagen products to help with loose skin issues as we all lose weight.

My coach has sent me this answer directly from IP:

USING COLLAGEN-RICH PROTEIN PACKETS

You can think of protein being much like sentences, which are long strings of letters, only protein is a long string of amino acids. The proteins we eat are broken down into their amino acids (the “letters”) by the digestive process, then absorbed and made available for building the proteins our own bodies need and want. To make all of the proteins we need for the body, we need the full range of amino acids, much as you need all of the letters of the alphabet to write your next novel.

The protein in the packets of Ideal Protein generally are those with a good range of amino acids, the broad range of ones we need. The exception to this rule are the two collagen-rich products, Raspberry Jelly Mix and Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate Drink Mix. In these two products, the protein source is collagen and collagen is a protein with primarily just three amino acid constituents.

Although the collagen amino acids will be terrific for your skin, they are not providing the broad range of amino acids needed by your body for enzymes, body structures, messaging and a lot more. It’s fine to offset one of the many ‘broad spectrum’ packets every other day (one of the total 6 packets in two days), but to do so every day (one packet in three for each day) would be too limiting on your broad amino acid needs.

So, if you’re using one of those two products to offset one of your three daily packets…don’t do it more often than every other day. However, if you are concerned about your skin and want to give it some extra help for a while, there is no problem if you want to use one of those packets more often, as long as it is in addition to your usual three packets. To have the ‘extra’ protein in one of those products won’t be a problem for losing weight (they have very little carbohydrate content), nor are you going to ‘overdose’.

A final note has to do with the Chicken Noodle Soup. This product has collagen content that will be helpful to the skin. But, it also has protein content from whey. Importantly, whey is a wonderful protein from the point of view of its breadth of amino acid components. Thus, if you use the Chicken Noodle Soup, you don’t have to worry about limiting how often you use it.

PamC
01-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Thank you for posting this! Very interesting. I like the collagen drink but haven't had it often because it's not as filling. Nice to know I can add it occasionally and not worry too much.

lisa32989
01-13-2013, 10:03 AM
So, in a nutshell, the collagen packets can be a replacement every-other day or can be used more often (daily) as a fourth packet.
Good to know.
I wish the US had the collagen product that Canada has. Then it wouldn't be a packet issue at all.

onmyway1014
01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Thank you for this very informative answer. I have seen conflicting info about this and am glad that you cleared up my lingering questions. I asked my coach and she said they were incomplete proteins but did not give any more info than that.

This site is wonderful!

KitKat169
01-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the official info and glad to say this matches closely with what my coach has told me. She also did research with her IP regional manager.

I haven't used many collagen packets in the past, but in Canada IP has the collagen supplement you can take too. I have started though using the jello every couple of days as a fourth packet. As I near maintenance, I have lots of loose skin issues. I track all my food on Fatsecret so I also try to coordinate the fourth packet with a lower calorie / fat / low extras day to keep my total intake under control. I know that isn't technically necessary to do when on IP but I'm preparing my thought process for other food in maintenance.

Im escaping
01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Thanks, for the info I appreciate the clarification:smug:

Does anyone have a list of the collagen products for Canada? KitKat??

I would like to start incorporating more, but like others have been a little confused...my coach is not on the super helpful side, which is why I love 3FC:D

Thanks

scorbett1103
01-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks, for the info I appreciate the clarification:smug:

Does anyone have a list of the collagen products for Canada? KitKat??

I would like to start incorporating more, but like others have been a little confused...my coach is not on the super helpful side, which is why I love 3FC:D

Thanks

The IP collagen products are the Blueberry Cran-granita drink, and the jello. Canada also has a collagen supplement in pill form.

KitKat169
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
The IP collagen products are the Blueberry Cran-granita drink, and the jello. Canada also has a collagen supplement in pill form.

I have an IP collagen in a liquid form too. Add a tbsp to my evening glass of water.

Im escaping
01-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at the shelves next week.

Scorbett & KitKat - you are both looking fantastic, btw:)

Great Dane
01-13-2013, 10:53 PM
My WI person told me none of this!!!

petchef
01-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Why doesn't the US have the pill & liquid collagen?

lisa32989
01-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Ask the FDA

IdealProteinNewbie
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Bump for newbies!

stargirl66
01-17-2013, 01:25 PM
I use alternatives, and am wondering how I can supplement with collagen. Are there alt. products we can use?

whytokay
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Very interesting stuff.... I was eating jello every night for my snack since I started pretty much back in late November... And have lost on average 4.3 lbs a week. I know everybody is different but it still interesting to think about. Regardless, this week I didn't buy jello so we'll see how I do next weigh in. if it's lower than normal then I'll probably go back to jello every day.

lisa32989
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Very interesting stuff.... I was eating jello every night for my snack since I started pretty much back in late November... And have lost on average 4.3 lbs a week. I know everybody is different but it still interesting to think about. Regardless, this week I didn't buy jello so we'll see how I do next weigh in. if it's lower than normal then I'll probably go back to jello every day.
There are other VERY low carb IP products that are complete proteins. Orange Drink and Pink Lemonade come to mind. I'd have to look at my lists (at home) to see what others fit the bill.

From what I read (above) it sounds like you could still have your jello every nite if it was a 4th packet, otherwise only every-other-day. Chicken noodle soup has the collegen AND is a complete protein!

IdealProteinNewbie
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM

It is only restricted to every other day or an additional packet because it is an incomplete protein (doesn't contain all the essential amino acids).

Because of that you are not getting all the nutrition you need on the program. No idea if your weight loss will be affected this week but there are many factors that goes into that.

scorbett1103
01-17-2013, 08:09 PM
I use alternatives, and am wondering how I can supplement with collagen. Are there alt. products we can use?

There are a few jello products out there that are collagen based - also the Proti Diet grape drink is a collagen product.

IdealProteinNewbie
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
bump for newbies!

WorldTraveleronIP
01-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Thank you so much for the valuable information! I am so appreciative :)

SanB608
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
If a product has gelatin in the contents is that the same as a collegan product. Will it help with firming the skin?

scorbett1103
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
If a product has gelatin in the contents is that the same as a collegan product. Will it help with firming the skin?

Yes, gelatin is collagen. It can possibly help with firming, though it's not going to work any major miracles :)

leannekarella
02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Why doesn't the US have the pill & liquid collagen?

The USA has stricter FDA laws.

lisa32989
02-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I bought some bulk plain gelatin from a company called Great Lakes. Another IPer had done some research. It is even available on Amazon.

Lolo70
02-08-2013, 03:18 PM
There is no clinical evidence that ingesting collagen has any effect on cellulite. The body already is composed of a huge amount of collagen. It is secreted from cells and processed on site. The collagen in gelatin is broken down into small pieces. Even if it would be able to accumulate in the areas of your body where cellulite occurs, it is virtually impossible to eat that much. If there is an effect, it is probably because you limit calorie intake during the protocol and loose some of the fat that makes cellulite more visible. It appears collagen synthesis is stimulated by vitamin C. So, maybe a cream containing vitamin C may have an effect.

HillaryJH
02-08-2013, 03:39 PM
This is great information. Thank you for the bump.

IdealProteinNewbie
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
bump

Thirteen
03-07-2013, 10:38 PM

I've been doing the jello as a daily 3rd packet too...how did your WI go when you switched? I wonder if that's why I'm light headed, have fatigued muscles and have brain fog most of the time. My coach said she hadn't heard that before, and the intro packet suggested daily collagen packet to help with loose skin...

Roo2
03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Everyday extra packet

LexiChanel1
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
There is no clinical evidence that ingesting collagen has any effect on cellulite. The body already is composed of a huge amount of collagen. It is secreted from cells and processed on site. The collagen in gelatin is broken down into small pieces. Even if it would be able to accumulate in the areas of your body where cellulite occurs, it is virtually impossible to eat that much. If there is an effect, it is probably because you limit calorie intake during the protocol and loose some of the fat that makes cellulite more visible. It appears collagen synthesis is stimulated by vitamin C. So, maybe a cream containing vitamin C may have an effect.

LoLo, I agree. If you are losing over 30 lbs, good luck afterwards. Im including myself. Its not a pretty sight. Im planning on hitting the gym hardcore and getting my boobs done. No hope for my boobs otherwise. Might go for the tummy tuck while I am there:)

Ojenchilada
03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
LoLo, I agree. If you are losing over 30 lbs, good luck afterwards. Im including myself. Its not a pretty sight. Im planning on hitting the gym hardcore and getting my boobs done. No hope for my boobs otherwise. Might go for the tummy tuck while I am there:)

I am almost obsessed with the idea of getting a boob lift and a lower body lift when I am done losing. I look at before and after pics constantly. I have lost and gained and re-lost the same 70 lbs a few times, so my midsection and boobs never look good, regardless of where I am on that spectrum. This time, I want to actually feel good about how I look when I get to goal (whatever that is...I am kind of just guessing about 135).

Lolo70
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
The boob lift sounds good. I still hope mine stay as they are even with more weight loss. Because if they deflate, it's not going to be pretty with the effect of gravity. So far my skin looks relatively firm with some flabs left mainly under my arms. I am not sure whether this is due to my slow losses or plain luck.

scorbett1103
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah, after 70lbs lost (and two breastfed kids), my boobs and tummy are a sorry sight. No bikini for me!! But since I know it takes about a year for skin to reabsorb and such, I'm going to wait on any decision for plastic surgery till next January. That will also give me a year on maintenance so that I know my weight is pretty stable.

Tailwinds
03-08-2013, 10:52 PM
But since I know it takes about a year for skin to reabsorb and such ...

Can you explain what you mean by this?

scorbett1103
03-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Can you explain what you mean by this?

The body has a fantastic knack for adjusting itself along the way. When you lose a lot of weight quickly, you end up with loose skin because your skin's elasticity wasn't enough to keep up with the weight loss - particularly in the tummy region. Over about 6 months to a year after weight loss, the body will slough off or reabsorb some of that skin. That, combined with toning exercises, may be enough to have the skin somewhat tight against the muscles again.

For people who have lost VERY large amounts of weight, the loose skin may be too much even for the body to handle. In that case, after the body has been given time to do what it can (and after maintaining for a while so that your weight is pretty stable), plastic surgery makes sense to take care of extra skin leftover.

I had a friend who had gastric bypass - her doctor would not even talk to her about plastic surgery until 1 year afterward, for these reasons. She had the surgery 2 years ago, and just had her tummy tuck this past summer.

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks. I'll have to hope the collagen and time work for me as I do not have a plastic surgery sized bank account.

Lolo70
03-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Collagen will do nothing. The only "clinical studies" in favor have been financed by the companies that sell such products. If it would work, these companies would be billion dollar businesses.

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I was wondering about that but since I have become very skeptical/cynical generally, I tend to reserve judgment until I can get more info, especially results from others. (I'm pretty new to IP and still very concerned about the long-term health impact of, for instance, the artificial sweeteners.)

Is there anyone here who believes these products have helped?

Collagen will do nothing. The only "clinical studies" in favor have been financed by the companies that sell such products. If it would work, these companies would be billion dollar businesses.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I was wondering about that but since I have become very skeptical/cynical generally, I tend to reserve judgment until I can get more info, especially results from others. (I'm pretty new to IP and still very concerned about the long-term health impact of, for instance, the artificial sweeteners.)

Is there anyone here who believes these products have helped?

No clue if it's actually beneficial or not, but I've been eating the Raspberry Jelly every day as a free 4th packet (which is how it's supposed to be consumed) and am hoping for any improvement it can offer!

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Didn't realize it was supposed to be eaten as a fourth packet. Also, isn't it supposed to be consumed only every other day during Phase 1?

No clue if it's actually beneficial or not, but I've been eating the Raspberry Jelly every day as a free 4th packet (which is how it's supposed to be consumed) and am hoping for any improvement it can offer!

Lolo70
03-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I think the Raspberry Jelly is a good way to fill up your stomach without adding carbs or many calories. As somebody else said, it does not provide essential nutrients, so should not replace another meal.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Didn't realize it was supposed to be eaten as a fourth packet. Also, isn't it supposed to be consumed only every other day during Phase 1?

You can either use it every other day as one of your 3 packets or every day as an additional 4th packet.

The reason you can't use it every day is because it's an incomplete protein, not containing all essential amino acids.

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Thank you, Lolo. It definitely is filling (due to lots of water, perhaps) and tasty but I think that is because of the sucralose which I would prefer to avoid since I think other IP foods contain it. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/12/03/sucralose-dangers.aspx among others.

Tailwinds
03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Newbie, thanks. That makes sense.

safetylady
03-09-2013, 04:19 PM
I am new so please forgive me for not knowing the answer. What is the difference between IP Jello and sugar free jello you buy in the market?

scorbett1103
03-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I am new so please forgive me for not knowing the answer. What is the difference between IP Jello and sugar free jello you buy in the market?

Ingredients in sugar free Jello:
Gelatin, Adipic Acid (for Tartness), Disodium Phosphate (Controls Acidity), Maltodextrin (from Corn), Fumaric Acid (for Tartness), Aspartame (Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.) (Sweetener), Contains Less than 2% of Artificial Flavor, Acesulfame Potassium (Sweetener), Salt, Blue 1, Red 40.

Ingredients in IP jelly:
Hydrolyzed Collagen, beet powder color, citric acid, natural and artificial flavor, sucralose, tricalcium phosphate

One is a chemical concoction, the other is collagen, beet powder, splenda and natural preservatives.

IdealProteinNewbie
06-07-2013, 12:59 AM
bump

lisa32989
06-07-2013, 05:40 AM
I know there has been some debate about how often we can use the IP collagen products to help with loose skin issues as we all lose weight.

My coach has sent me this answer directly from IP:

USING COLLAGEN-RICH PROTEIN PACKETS

You can think of protein being much like sentences, which are long strings of letters, only protein is a long string of amino acids. The proteins we eat are broken down into their amino acids (the “letters”) by the digestive process, then absorbed and made available for building the proteins our own bodies need and want. To make all of the proteins we need for the body, we need the full range of amino acids, much as you need all of the letters of the alphabet to write your next novel.

The protein in the packets of Ideal Protein generally are those with a good range of amino acids, the broad range of ones we need. The exception to this rule are the two collagen-rich products, Raspberry Jelly Mix and Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate Drink Mix. In these two products, the protein source is collagen and collagen is a protein with primarily just three amino acid constituents.

Although the collagen amino acids will be terrific for your skin, they are not providing the broad range of amino acids needed by your body for enzymes, body structures, messaging and a lot more. It’s fine to offset one of the many ‘broad spectrum’ packets every other day (one of the total 6 packets in two days), but to do so every day (one packet in three for each day) would be too limiting on your broad amino acid needs.

So, if you’re using one of those two products to offset one of your three daily packets…don’t do it more often than every other day. However, if you are concerned about your skin and want to give it some extra help for a while, there is no problem if you want to use one of those packets more often, as long as it is in addition to your usual three packets. To have the ‘extra’ protein in one of those products won’t be a problem for losing weight (they have very little carbohydrate content), nor are you going to ‘overdose’.

A final note has to do with the Chicken Noodle Soup. This product has collagen content that will be helpful to the skin. But, it also has protein content from whey. Importantly, whey is a wonderful protein from the point of view of its breadth of amino acid components. Thus, if you use the Chicken Noodle Soup, you don’t have to worry about limiting how often you use it.
The strawberry banana RTD is also a complete protein with collagen.

If jello is a yummy snack, use plain gelatin (like Knox) to turn any drink packet into jello (pink lemonade, peach/mango, pineapple/banana, etc) and still get the complete protein

IdealProteinNewbie
06-07-2013, 06:35 AM
The strawberry banana RTD is also a complete protein with collagen.

If jello is a yummy snack, use plain gelatin (like Knox) to turn any drink packet into jello (pink lemonade, peach/mango, pineapple/banana, etc) and still get the complete protein

Good idea!

The chicken noodle soup is a complete protein with collagen as well.

onmyway1014
06-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I was at The Vitamin Shop today and they have lots of collagen supplements available - liquid and pill form.

I did not purchase any because many of them had warnings that they might contain trace amounts of sulfites which I know are a trigger for my migraines.

SylviesGirl
06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I recently found collagen in pill form at WalMart in the vitamin section. It also contains vitamin C and, I believe, B-12. I have decided to take one every other day -- my flapping arms could use it. Here's hoping!

lisa32989
06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I recently found collagen in pill form at WalMart in the vitamin section. It also contains vitamin C and, I believe, B-12. I have decided to take one every other day -- my flapping arms could use it. Here's hoping!
You think your arms are bad now? Just wait. Ugh.
I was doing some gentle yoga strengthening until I broke my stupid arm!
It'll all work out in the end...I KNOW it will!

Divadani13
06-07-2013, 06:21 PM
...or do you just add gelatin until it looks like jello? I am intrigued with this idea!

lisa32989
06-07-2013, 07:41 PM
...or do you just add gelatin until it looks like jello? I am intrigued with this idea!

If you use the Knox packets, there will be directions

Divadani13
06-07-2013, 08:16 PM

OK, duh. Sorry I asked that! I will get the packets and experiment. Thanks!

hlfoster9290
06-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Could I make Jello out of my Powerade Zero or my Propel Zero waters and/or flavor packs?!?!?!?!?!

happynannyof7
06-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Very interesting........

bluegirl9
06-09-2013, 11:37 AM
This is helpful. Thank you very much!

bluegirl9
07-04-2013, 02:19 PM
* bump *

IdealProteinNewbie
11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
bump

yespositively
11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
bump

Thanks! I think the "Newbie" in your name might be a misnomer.

This is good information since I really like the granata product-- though I'm pretty sure I have only had it every other day so far just for variety's sake.

mckaren4
01-17-2014, 04:46 PM
bump

mars735
01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
I don't believe there are any controlled studies that demonstrate eating collagen will actually promote it in your skin. About as useful as putting it on your face, imho, though cheaper.