UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/242/168

Height: 5ft 7

Default Anyone else only getting weighed monthly?

I started my " new lifestyle" on the 1st of January 2013 and made the decision to only get weighed on the last day of each month but it's driving me crazy
In times before when I have been trying to lose weight I was always on and off the scales and if the reading wasn't was I expected it would set me off on a downward spiral and I would think " oh its not working so I may as well have this cake". So I threw out the scales at the end of 2012 and decided to wait till the end of the month, but it seems forever away...I keep looking at the calender and thinking "OMG" has it only been 12 days!!!
I know it's the right thing for me to do but I am so impatient to see how I am doing. Anyone else only getting weighed each month and actually managing to stay away from the scales???
niknaknat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/194/125

Height: 5 ft 2

i so wish i had your determination! i try and do it weekly and still have a sneeky step on to the scales midweek! but ur way is the best way as you'll defo get a loss! best of luck and well done for keeping off those scales so far
bbg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #3  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Hi! I decided to do this for 2013 too, with weigh day being on the first of every month and not before!

I have really wanted to get weighed before then though and last week I came very close to it, but I managed to stay on track and keep off the scale. I think I want to get weighed to prove to myself that I am succeeding, but this time success isn't about a weekly number!

The reason I have chosen to do this is because I have always had short term success and after I lose about a stone/stone and a half I feel pretty good and I stop. This time, I am keeping on track until I see 146 on the scale and that is that!

This time, my goal is not "to lose X this week", but to lose 47 pounds in 2013 and to check my progress on a monthly basis only. The weigh in should make no difference to me, it's just a guide for how long my journey is taking.

I have a paper journal to write in to keep myself focused on this long term goal, because it isn't easy and I need to keep myself in check every day!!

We can do it!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #4  

Thanks both of you for your replies It is really is hard trying to stay away from the scales but I know it is my best chance of succeeding in the long term. I am not so much thinking in pounds to lose but dress sizes as my monthly targets ( mini goals). The diary is a great idea!! I was only thinking the other day whilst browsing the forums, why there isn't somewhere on here where members can make an online diary for others to share.
While I was pregnant with my youngest son I was a member of a site called baby and bump and they did the online diarys which were brilliant and were great to look back on as well. I wish you both the best of luck in your journey's
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/241/180

Height: 5ft 2

Hiya

Im a newbie here but Im thinking your way might be better than weekly weighing.
My first week ended last Thursday and when I weighed in I got a shock as all I'd lost was a pound. I was gutted cos Id done so well and had even been walking on my treadmill every day (not for long but I did it!)
So I got back on again and scales showed Id put on 2 or 3lb then got back on 5 mins later and they showed a loss of 2lb!!
I was soooo disappointed!! I really wanted to eat loads but I didnt and am back on track now.
Really knocked me cos I thought I was doing well. Scales have been returned and Ive got some new ones but thinking now I may change to monthly weighing or at least fortnightly.
I can understand your impatience tho and think Id be the same.
How about weighing on the 15th - halfway through? Seeing a good loss will spur you on til the end of the month.
Im thinking of this as a healthier lifestyle aswell. Im not on a diet, Im making better food choices.
Hope your having a good day

Sharon
Sharelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #6  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

For me, if I have a good loss I want to celebrate and EAT.
If I have a disappointing loss I want to commiserate and EAT.

I was reasoning with myself the other day that I could gt weighed on 15th as a compromise, but had to tell myself NO! I have committed to this journey and I have committed to my own set of rules - if I break my weigh-in rule, I know I will break other ones too. Keeping to this tough aim of weighing monthly will keep me in check
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #7  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Hiya,

I was previously scales obsessed, then fell off the wagon a little, I'm now firmly back on it and determined to reach goal, but Im not going to weigh in until April, when I'll return to the UK.

It is really hard to not do it sooner, but I don't want this to be about weight alone this time. I've got a few months to get in a good routine and get fit and be eating well and then I'll see how the numbers look.

I do think I'll get a tape measure though so that I can keep some sort of a track.......
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/172/140

Height: 5' 4"

I admire everyone's determination and wish I had your will power...unfortunately I'm an every day kind of girl . I know I shouldn't but in my defence, I do find it either boosts me if it's good or is a kick up the bum if it's bad...
Cofa Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #9  
i CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/C/G: 230/226/140

Height: 5 4

Hello. I'm considering only weighing myself monthly too. I'm sure it's going to be hard at first but imagine the loss after a whole month. Plus you can't afford to give up before the weigh in as you won't see results.
lolloveschocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #10  

It has been prob one of the hardest things I have had to do ( aside from all the exercise I have been doing). Scales are pure evil
I have been soooooo tempted for the last week to just have a little peek but I Know I only have 2 more days to go and then I can see how I have done.
I am thinking that getting through the next month might be a little easier if I have had a decent loss this month...gives you something to work towards
Only seeing tiny losses on a weekly basis is one of the reasons I decided to weigh in at the end of the month...yeah you might only have lost 5lbs but mentally that 5lbs is better than seeing no change or a tiny loss each week, thats my thoughts on it anyway and I'm sticking to it
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/194/125

Height: 5 ft 2

best of luck and well done you for been so strong!! i gave in after 2weeks!! im going to try again tho.
bbg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #12  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Good luck for your weigh in! Is it today or tomorrow?
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #13  
i CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

S/C/G: 230/226/140

Height: 5 4

I was thinking about a monthly weigh in but I've decided to do Friday mornings for the first 4 weeks then change to monthly. First weigh in tomorrow.
lolloveschocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #14  

Thankyou all so much for your replies I weighed in this morning and have lost 18lbs since jan 1st
I couldn't be happier with that result...I have worked really hard but have not denied myself anything as I did in previous attempts. I uinderstand next month may not bring me as good a result but if I can aim for at least half of that every month I will be well on my way
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #15  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

I don't have any scales, so I can't weigh myself at all, it's so torturous! I'm hoping that I'll start to see results in the way my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror, so hopefully I'll be happy with me rather than a number

(Will definitely weigh myself when I visit my parents at Easter though )
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote