South Beach Diet - How Long to Stay on SB?

View Full Version : How Long to Stay on SB?

DAYNSH
01-13-2013, 02:33 AM
I am now starting week 2 of phase one, and have to admit, I did cheat and ate 1/2 of a large baked potato with 1 tbsp real butter...along with a hamburger steak with sauted mushrooms and onion (no butter or oil)...I have 50 pounds to lose for my first goal. Can I stay on SB longer than two weeks, or should I move to Phase II after the second week? I am good with watching my calorie intake, which is around 1850 (I weigh 335 now) and I think I can do well on Phase I for a while longer...or until I reach my first goal?? Will it be harmful if I allow a cheat meal once a week if I am very careful??

Your thoughts?

Natasha1534
01-13-2013, 03:33 AM
I think that a clean Phase I is the best way to get your cravings in check and make sure you're successful on this diet. When I get off track, I always go back to Phase I to get myself back in line. If you're not having any cravings, I would move on to Phase II, but I'd be wary of having a cheat meal, especially as frequently as once a week. There just seems to be no clear cut dedication that way, so I personally wouldn't recommend it.

jekel383
01-13-2013, 06:24 AM
I agree with Natasha. Cheating of any kind always has consequences. lol If you indulge, make it in a special occasion. P2 is sustainable indefinitely. You won't drop the pounds as quickly, but you have more options as good carbs are reintroduced slowly.

weezle
01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
In my experience, frequent cheats = falling off the wagon completely and only hopping back on after a 15-20 lb gain. If you're going to cheat, I find its best to plan them well in advance. It gives you time to look forward to them, and will help keep you from going overboard. I'm allowing myself 1 alcoholic drink on Super Bowl Sunday, for example. Planning your cheats a month in advance keeps you in control... It's the impulse splurges (let's go get carry-out tonight) that get you in trouble and can send you out of control.

I agree, a good solid 2 week Ph1 is important after any cheat. Purge the body of toxins and cravings, and you'll be far more successful. Good luck to you!!!

DAYNSH
01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice! Back to Phase one - no cheats for two more weeks....didn't realize a 1/2 of a potato could do such damage....