Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 08:59 AM   #1  

Thumbs down Sunday May 6th

Well I am up but don't ask me why....it was 630 when the alarm went off this morning and I didn't even have to get up...anyhow I am starting my "cycle" this morning and that really interupts my sleeping.

I am ready a great book right now called Love's Executioner. It is a bunch of case study's of a psychiatrist called Yalom. It is so good I can't put it down...honestly it is much better than it sounds. Have a look at it and let me know what you think. Has anyone tried any of the books I have mentioned a long the way?

I have decided that a lot of my weight is attributed to boredom and lonliness.....I am really trying to look at that lately....it isn't just about something being good to eat so eating it....what do others think?

Well today my goal is to clean my office, go to the gym and then to church at 6 pm. I have a lady coming over to give me a quote on cleaning my house every week or every second week.

How is everyone's weekend shaping up?

Hope to hear from everyone soon.

Elizabeth

Last edited by Leens; 05-05-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Good morning Liz,

I haven't been reading much past few years... at least not fiction. Been working on my thesis. Am on final chapters now, finally. Slow slugging with working full time and running kids.

I finally caved and got a cleaning lady in January. Best thing I ever did. I used to have one long ago, when kids were little, as I've always had to work full time. Some years back, superwoman decided to do it all herself. (May superwoman now rest in peace.) I have my ladies come every week. I got a raise in January, and decided to treat myself to it, so the raise went to the ladies. I also decided to not be frugal about it, so I have them each week. What a treat!

I'm working on my thesis today. Son came over yesterday and took me up on my offer to pay for a haircut. He was going to come back after and show me, but he didn't. That's ok... at least 18 months of tangled, dreadlocked hair will be gone. He was talking about taking off the 6" scraggly goatee and shortening sideburns as well. I won't recognize him!!

I think this is a huge step for him ~ we've seen some better decision making on his part lately. Maybe we're getting our son back!

Have a great day everyone... am sipping hazelnut coffee, playing a bit of online scrabble, and heading off to tackle that thesis.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #3  

Default Housekeeper

How much is a fair price and what do they do for that money and how long does it take them?

elizabeth
Old 05-04-2003, 02:39 PM   #4  

BRACE YOURSELVES!!!

The cats actually let me sleep in this morning! Usually, the furry ones are either kneading my bladder or pawing at my hand to get up and feed them...guess the lovebugs weren't that hungry this morning.

It's a very nice afternoon out; good for a walk then maybe do some reading outside. Someone down the street is grilling and it smells sooooooooo goooooooood!

Lost another pound this week, but no inches.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:29 PM   #5  

Hi All.
Elizabeth, I too, eat out of boredom and lonliness. Yucky feeling afterwards: still lonely, still bored, add guilt.

Loranden, congrats on the pound loss. Every pound is a step closer. Good work.

I did a little garden work today, but my back started killing me. We have perennial gardens, so now that they are quite mature they require less and less work to come in full. Timothy grows Heirloom roses which we brought home from England. They are looking as if it's going to be a good year for them.

Judo, what is your thesis on? From what you write, I can assume you went " back to school" when your children were a little older, as I am doing. It's a lot of work, but I find it more rewarding and actually enjoy it, for the most part.

The weather here in Connecticut is gorgeous again.
I love it here!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
My son's birthday today; mine is tomorrow. 45 is less intimadating than was 40. The older I get the more I seem to appreciate my life. I guess I'm showing signs of growing up- about time, I guess, LOL!

Love prayers hugs,
Enja ("real" name is Beth)
Old 05-04-2003, 05:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Liz, they come Mondays for just under $50. She charges $15 an hour. Three usually come, so they divide the work and are in and out in an hour. They vaccum, wash floors, clean bathroom, dust, and often hide things on me *lol. They are very efficient. She's private. I tried a "chain" and it just didn't work.

Congrats Loranden! I wish I could be as committed as you! I keep telling myself I will....

Enja, my thesis is on the need for all pre-service teachers to have to take training in working with kids with AD/HD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) before they ever get their own classroom. I'm in the final stages of it now... turning in the chapter on results and discussion (of my own data gathering) this week. Just the final two chapters to write. I won't make convocation this month, but I'm hoping I will in Oct.

It's been slow slugging.. one course at a time (kids were both home, in school, busy with activities, and a hub who works shift work.. plus I was teaching full time). We've had some major crises with our son (now graduated and 20) which made it impossible (emotionally) for me to work on it for periods of time. Then I had my own bout of depression 18 months ago to deal with. I'm not in the classroom anymore, but am still working in education full time - admin in special ed. I just started that in January (still in same school division) so life's been pretty heavy duty in general.

I'm really looking forward to being finished the thesis by summer so I can be lazy, read trashy novels, and walk to my heart's content
Old 05-04-2003, 05:49 PM   #7  

Hi everyone.....it is an overcast day here.....earlier it was snowing....but it has stopped now.....May 4 & it is snowing !!!!!! lol.

This weekend I learned how to use the Mastercook...to put recipes in & figure out the nutrition information & diabetic exchanges. About 3 years ago....my DS3 & his GF gave it to me for a birthday gift......I tried to figure it out from the instructions.....I found it so confusing. Someone on a list I am on....said she would help anyone who would like to learn to do it....she sends me emails....& I follow the instrustions....once you know how to do it.....it is easy....I have figured out 3 of my recipes I have had for years....I was so excited when I figured it out!!!!!

DS3, his GF & her DS are coming over for dinner tonight....we are having a turkey breast....but now I am going to go read my book.

April
Old 05-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #8  

Angry Hey it sounds like you are all in fine form!

Well I got to the gym yesterday which was great.....I did an hour of cardio....30 on the bike and 30 on the eliptical....sweat good!

Today I did not need to go to the gym cause I cleaned like crazy....I cleaned from 11 am until 7 pm and I got my office done which was my goal today!!!

I met the lady who is going to clean my house....she will come in from 3-4 hours and charge me $60....she will do all the stuff judo mom including one big thing like baseboards, or doors, or window frames....she is gonna get my shower sparkling which will be a feat in itself...she is starting Tues and will come weekly for now....that will give me time to garden, keep papers orgainzed, go through drawers and closets and scrapbook!!!!

On nice days this summer I will do gardening and on rainy days I will scrap! And five days a week I have to get to the gym.

Tomorrow I work days as I have to teach CPR so I better go study so I know what I am talking about!

Bye for now and thanks everyone for everything!

Elizabeth
Old 05-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Everyone !!

WOW congrats on the weight loss Loren !!

OMG Liz 30 on the eliptical ?????? give me some of your energy huh!! thats just wonderful, keep it up.

Judomom, always nice to see you
April, are you still doing your light therapy ? How did that work out for you ?
Enja, happy birthday, enjoy the day. Tell hubby you need the day off and $100.00 okay maybe $200.00 lol.

Hugs Ladies !!

Psssssst... I tried to change the date on the thread but it wouldn't work lol......
Old 05-08-2003, 08:33 PM   #10  

Unhappy My pc was down and I feel so out of the loop!

...but I am back now!

I went to the gym today only had time for 30 mins on the eliptical and 30 mins on the bike....felt good!

Have done a ton of spring cleaning and got my office cleaned...housekeeper starts the 20th...gives me time to tie up loose ends but things have never looked so great!

Next!

Eliz
Closed Thread