Ideal Protein Diet - Anyone lapband/gastric bypass?

View Full Version : Anyone lapband/gastric bypass?

lumielumes
01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Just curious if anyone else on this forum has had the lapband or gastric bypass. I had the lapband in 2008 with not much success hence why I am here. My coach has put me on a modified version of IP because I can't eat all the food at once. Just wondering if anyone else can relate.

newlady
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
I had gastric bypass 11 years ago lost a lot of weight but would not recommend it. Very happy with the IP program.

ohjuly7878
09-21-2013, 09:32 AM
I have the lap band (currently unfilled) and just started the program yesterday. I'm concerned about the huge pills!

amt6
10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I had the lap band in 2011 with no luck. I lost 15 lbs. from the liquid diet, but nothing more. This diet is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

2much2do
10-02-2013, 11:55 PM
I have heard that Ideal Protein is starting to work with bariatric clinics. I think that would be a much better fit for them than the current business model of working out of chiropractic offices. My coach is paid an hourly wage and receives no commission for what she sells. It bugs me because she is the reason I go there, but the chiropractor is making all the money. If I thought she were being paid a commission for what I buy from her, I would be less inclined to use a lot of alternatives.

Noodles1984
01-16-2014, 10:55 PM
I have a lap band with 7cc's in. I started the IP protocol Wednesday and I am having tons of trouble with the huge pills and large amount of protein. Any suggestions?
I think I am going to go have the fluid removed next week if I can get off work. I lost 75 pounds with the LB and have since gained back 80.....great in theory, not so much in practice.

Kawaii1002
01-16-2014, 11:38 PM
I had gastric bypass in January of 2000, went from 642 to 340.. maintained that loss with the exception of 40lbs. Started October 2013 with IP, and in 15 weeks, I've lost 73lbs. Granted, I've still got quite a ways to go but this diet protocol is the best thing that could have happened to me.

ColoradoCarol
01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
I had lap band in July of 2008. I haven't had a fill in over a year. I don't know how much I have in my band. I currently don't have much restriction. I am now lower on IP than I ever was with the band. I lost weight with the band but then gained almost all of it back (all but 10 lbs).

I explained my situation to the head coach/clinic owner/chiropractor about not being able to eat 8 oz protein at one sitting - and she had me divide it between lunch and dinner. I have since just started eating one boiled egg at lunch (equivalent to 2oz protein) and the rest at dinner.

I still have times that I feel a bit of restriction or have a bit of an issue but not much.

I have never had a problem with the pills. If you have 7 cc in your band, would you consider going in and getting some taken out?

I love this programm and wish I had known about it before, I would not have gotten the band.

Best of luck

Rockabillygirl
01-17-2014, 09:33 AM
I have a lap band (I think it was 2005 or 2006). I have no fill in it but it still occasionally causes me "barf" issues. I hate it!! The first few days on IP were rough -- the pills were huge and my baked chicken got stuck and I was ending up throwing up most of my dinner. BUT I am happy to say that I got past that and have lost 58 lbs on IP. Fortunately I don't really mind eating the same thing every day, so I stir fry (sautee, really) my meat and veggies for dinner and I can cut them small enough that it's rare I have a problem. And if I space the pills out by a few minutes that works too.

Good luck, everyone. Think of all the $$$ we'd have saved if we'd known about IP before our surguries. Definitely a "life lesson" there!

Rockabillygirl
01-17-2014, 09:36 AM
I had gastric bypass in January of 2000, went from 642 to 340.. maintained that loss with the exception of 40lbs. Started October 2013 with IP, and in 15 weeks, I've lost 73lbs. Granted, I've still got quite a ways to go but this diet protocol is the best thing that could have happened to me.

You are doing great!! I am sure you look/feel like a new person. How exciting!

Noodles1984
01-17-2014, 07:05 PM
I think I am going to go in a have some let out. And yes, you are right, I wish I had known about IP before my surgery too! I tried drinking my shake and then my coffee this morning to "loosen" things up, but I guess I waited too long to take my pills afterwards because I felt really light headed and dizzy while feeling nauseated, too. I've always had that problem with pills on an empty stomach. I have been eating skinless thighs instead of chicken breasts since I seem to be able to tolerate the darker meat. I just try to eat more tilapia than anything. Before IP I could eat multiple baskets of chips and salsa, but never more than I bite of chicken breast. I don't get it....

ColoradoCarol
01-17-2014, 08:41 PM
I think I am going to go in a have some let out. And yes, you are right, I wish I had known about IP before my surgery too! I tried drinking my shake and then my coffee this morning to "loosen" things up, but I guess I waited too long to take my pills afterwards because I felt really light headed and dizzy while feeling nauseated, too. I've always had that problem with pills on an empty stomach. I have been eating skinless thighs instead of chicken breasts since I seem to be able to tolerate the darker meat. I just try to eat more tilapia than anything. Before IP I could eat multiple baskets of chips and salsa, but never more than I bite of chicken breast. I don't get it....

I have had issues with chicken breast ever since I got the band - I think it gets too dry. Thighs have more fat so it makes sense you can eat them.

brittu
01-17-2014, 10:10 PM
I had a lapband and got down to 160 and then the band caused serious esophagus damage and I had it removed. I converted to a sleeve and got past my goal down to 132. I've slowly started to put weight back on and am trying to decide what plan to follow to get back on track. I need monitoring and support. I tried hcg on my own but just can't stick with it. A friend did IP and has done great. I liked the wonderslim products after I was sleeved so I'm thinking that ip will work better than JC or WW where the portions are too big for my stomach. Unlike the band, lean meats and veggies are perfect with the sleeve and a very small amount keeps me filled and full. But cooking and having a flexible plan leaves me to likely to cheat so something controlled like IP or JC will probably do best. If I could do 16 weeks of liquids and mushies ip should be easy. Just need a coach to keep me honest!

ColoradoCarol
01-17-2014, 10:14 PM
I had a lapband and got down to 160 and then the band caused serious esophagus damage and I had it removed. I converted to a sleeve and got past my goal down to 132. I've slowly started to put weight back on and am trying to decide what plan to follow to get back on track. I need monitoring and support. I tried hcg on my own but just can't stick with it. A friend did IP and has done great. I liked the wonderslim products after I was sleeved so I'm thinking that ip will work better than JC or WW where the portions are too big for my stomach. Unlike the band, lean meats and veggies are perfect with the sleeve and a very small amount keeps me filled and full. But cooking and having a flexible plan leaves me to likely to cheat so something controlled like IP or JC will probably do best. If I could do 16 weeks of liquids and mushies ip should be easy. Just need a coach to keep me honest!

That's why I like it so much - structure and accountability. When I was on "band diet" I wasn't given enough structure.

dsjsmom23
01-18-2014, 02:03 AM
I am in the process of getting sleeved. I'm also doing IP. I have discussed this in length with my coach, and she is helping me to lose as much weight as possible before I have my surgery.
She did tell me that she can get some of the vitamins in liquid form, for those of you worried about the vitamins.
I am hoping to lose the rest of this weight with IP and keep it off with my newly sleeved stomach.

Good luck to everyone!

Noodles1984
01-18-2014, 12:24 PM
@dsjsmom23 Would you mind sharing which vitamins you can find in liquid form? That seems to be the largest issue for me at the moment. I can manipulate some of the proteins enough where I can eat them and I have decided I can get by with shakes and crisps for my IP product. I have a box of omelet right now that I cant seem to eat at all. I am baffled by the things I can eat and the things I cant eat. My dad had the surgery as well and has been wildly successful. He can eat things that I wouldn't even dream of and vice-versa. I am very optimistic about the IP protocol. I think as soon as I can eat "properly" I may see great results. Super excited!!

@ Brittu: I think the accountability is the best thing for me, too. I can be really good 3-4 days a week, but something about Friday and Saturday leaves me unable to control myself. A box of mac and cheese and a beer? I have no control.....Since I have zero choice on IP (not only cost but the written instructions) I am finding it easier to control my cravings. I just have to change my mentality once I hit the maintenance phase. Good luck with the pre-surgery weight loss!

Jaymie77
01-18-2014, 04:24 PM
I had a Lap Band put in in April, 2010.... Worked great for me as far as weight loss went, but the acid reflux and acid in my throat made me miserable.
I had a defill in late 2011 to ease the reflux and today I weigh exactly what I did when I had the surgery.
I've only been on IP for a week, but I'm not minding it and I'm not having problems with the band. I would love to have this useless thing out of me, but DH would freak, I'm sure as we had to pay out of pocket.

ColoradoCarol
01-18-2014, 05:07 PM
I had a Lap Band put in in April, 2010.... Worked great for me as far as weight loss went, but the acid reflux and acid in my throat made me miserable.
I had a defill in late 2011 to ease the reflux and today I weigh exactly what I did when I had the surgery.
I've only been on IP for a week, but I'm not minding it and I'm not having problems with the band. I would love to have this useless thing out of me, but DH would freak, I'm sure as we had to pay out of pocket.

I would love to mine out too, but I am pretty sure insurance wouldn't cover it and I can't shell out for the,surgery out of pocket

Noodles1984
02-04-2014, 08:24 PM
So......I finally got into to see my doctor about removing some of my fill and it turns out that there wasn't any fluid in my band! I have a massive hole in the tubing that connects the port and the band (or the tubing has come disconnected). All of my extreme restriction is being attributed to scar tissue. Moral of the story is I can choose to have surgery to replace the tubing that may or may not do the same thing in a few years, or I can have surgery to straight up remove the band. I am opting to remove. Id rather pay once and have one surgery than wonder if its going to break again in the next 7 years. I'm only three weeks in to the IP protocol and I am down 15 pounds and 9.5 inches. I just had my third weigh in this morning before I went to my gastro. I'm pretty bummed because now I have to phase off of the diet in only a week (3 days for phase 3 and then 3 days for phase 3, then on to maintenance until surgery). I really, really dont want to lose the momentum I have built up only to start over in 3 weeks. I hope its no longer than three week....Anyone else had to phase off and restart?

Mandy078
02-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I have the LapBand since 2007 and I couldn't tell you how much is in it but it hasn't been filled in years. Hopefully mine hasn't come loose too! But having said that I've never been able to eat certain foods since my band and that hasn't changed on IP. I just break up my protein portions into lunch and dinner because there's no way I can eat 8 oz of protein at any one time. My hardest thing is getting all the foods in now that u feel like I'm eating way more than I did before IP. So spacing out all those meals and vegetables and then trying to get all the water in too! I feel like I'm putting something in my mouth all day long. But at least it's all healthy now!!

Noodles1984
02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
@Mandy078 I was having to do that as well. I basically ate an egg or two at each meal and didnt really eat solid protein. I couldnt keep anything down that wasnt a soft food. Im a little relieved to be having the band removed so that I can eat an actual piece of meat for the first time in 7 years. Good luck with your spacing! It sounds like you have a nice routine down.

ColoradoCarol
02-04-2014, 09:24 PM
I wish I could get my band out - but I don't want to pay it out of pocket. I don't have much restriction right now but it does rear it's ugly head every now and then, after I lose all the wait and move to maintenance I will go in and see what fluid is in there.

Noodles1984
02-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I really dont know how much the removal will cost. Luckily my doc says they can set up a payment plan if my insurance wont cover it. It didnt cover the initial placement so I was self pay, but I have since changed insurances and jobs, and Im curious if they will approve this since it is no longer an elective procedure. My doc is pretty adamant that he can not let it just sit there. Hes doing surgery one way or another he says, so I will just do my best to find a way to pay.

sweetenuf
02-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Hello bandsters.....Im am happy to see that none of us are alone in this.

I was banded Sept 26, 2010 weighing 248. I lost around 30lbs would lose only when I went in to get fill. Saw no other weightless in-between fills. I got to the point to where nothing would stay down except corn chips! healthy right lol.
Oct 2012 with a few months of not feeling good every day I decided to go in to band Dr and we decided to take all fluid out. I instantly felt better. March 2013 I quit smoking. Thought now that I felt better I would get back on the healthy life. About 2 months after I quit smoking I started gaining weight very quickly. I thought it was due to the band issues. but nope, because I quit smoking it unmasked that I have an over active thyroid! I now started this IP 3 weeks ago tomorrow starting weight at 309. 61lbs heavier then when I had lapband surgery.

Now I am here praying to god that this IP works with my body.

Noodles1984
02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Hello bandsters.....Im am happy to see that none of us are alone in this.

I was banded Sept 26, 2010 weighing 248. I lost around 30lbs would lose only when I went in to get fill. Saw no other weightless in-between fills. I got to the point to where nothing would stay down except corn chips! healthy right lol.
Oct 2012 with a few months of not feeling good every day I decided to go in to band Dr and we decided to take all fluid out. I instantly felt better. March 2013 I quit smoking. Thought now that I felt better I would get back on the healthy life. About 2 months after I quit smoking I started gaining weight very quickly. I thought it was due to the band issues. but nope, because I quit smoking it unmasked that I have an over active thyroid! I now started this IP 3 weeks ago tomorrow starting weight at 309. 61lbs heavier then when I had lapband surgery.

Now I am here praying to god that this IP works with my body.

HI! I really believe in the IP protocol. I find that it is the only thing that I have tried so far that leaves me feeling like I can actually work with the program and be successful. Having the band forces me to manipulate my protein intake, but its not really that hard. The hardest part for me is taking the supplements. I found a mini fish oil that I can tolerate and I found some chewable cal-mags to take instead of the IP cal-mags. They DO have 4 carbs/serving so I try to keep my IP foods on the lower carb range. This means I limit my restricted items to a few times/week and chose the shakes with lower counts as well. And no raw veggies for me. Except cucumber. I like that, it just has to be peeled. Good luck!!

sweetenuf
02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
HI! I really believe in the IP protocol. I find that it is the only thing that I have tried so far that leaves me feeling like I can actually work with the program and be successful. Having the band forces me to manipulate my protein intake, but its not really that hard. The hardest part for me is taking the supplements. I found a mini fish oil that I can tolerate and I found some chewable cal-mags to take instead of the IP cal-mags. They DO have 4 carbs/serving so I try to keep my IP foods on the lower carb range. This means I limit my restricted items to a few times/week and chose the shakes with lower counts as well. And no raw veggies for me. Except cucumber. I like that, it just has to be peeled. Good luck!!

Im feeling good...my weigh in is tomorrow. Last Wed, week 2 Im down 12lbs.
I guess because i have no fluid, as long as i pause between them I can take the pills. I just have to eat slow or I will still have food stick.
It was a very rough 2013, I Will Not allow 2014 be anything but better....
thank you for the words of help.