PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support - PCOS & Wheat

View Full Version : PCOS & Wheat

astrophe
01-08-2013, 10:58 PM
So I'm 8 days wheat free.

Talk to me about your wheat experiences. I've tried to cut it out in the past to varying degrees of success. I'm hoping to make it "stick" this time.

I know I breathe better wheat free.

I know I have less cravings if I avoid it.

I know wheat can provoke insulin resistance responses, and a large slice of PCOS patients are IR like me.

A.

Radiojane
01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm awaiting a final pros diagnosis, but I've been wheat free since aug 1 and its the best thing I ever did. I have never been able to lose weight, even on severely restricted low cal diets. Since quitting wheat, starting exercise and calorie counting, I've lost 70 lbs. my moods have stabilized, I no longer need to sleep 10 hours and I never have sugar crashes.

astrophe
01-09-2013, 12:13 AM
That's great, RadioJane! Sounds like it really gave you some solid health benefits!

I'm still in this "withdrawal" mode -- with some headaches. Not terrible, but there. I experienced some craving but I could step away from it today.

I'm trying to take it one day at a time and keep a good food log so I can track symptoms against diet.

A.

Rana
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Oh I just replied in the support thread.

But this my experience:

I am also wheat "free" except that once or twice a month, I'll eat something with wheat in it, like a pancake or a cookie.

I also said in my response on the other thread that I've discovered a connection between eating wheat and feeling inflammation/puffiness in my hands and other joints in my body. I worry about this because I know Rheumatoid Arthritis has been linked with wheat/gluten and it runs in my family and if this is the case, then this is the bigger case to avoid all kinds of wheat and gluten in my diet. I don't want to feed into any potential RA genes that may be swimming around in my DNA!

I think too, it's helped with overeating. When I was eating breads and pastas and so on, I would overeat so easily. It never, ever, filled me up. And to be honest, it's not that tasty. That's why I limit my intake now to very few times when it's really worth it.

But I do see myself moving forward and finding even wheat-free/gluten-free alternatives to those indulgences only because of my fears of RA.

Of course, since it is eliminating a crappy carb from my diet, my IR/PCOS stuff is much better. I don't get the same blood spikes from potatoes, for example, than I do from eating a hamburger bun!

astrophe
01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
I've noticed changes in joint pain too but too soon to tell.

Thanks, Rana!

A.

Michelle125
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I am wheat free as well. It makes me crazy about food. Like uncontrollable cravings and constantly thinking about it. I also get brain fog from it.

Radiojane
01-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I had a good two weeks of detox/withdrawal symptoms. The brain fog was insane and I was exhausted. When it cleared I felt amazing.

Now when I cheat (I was off plan at Christmas), my joints hurt and it effects my sleep.

wendyland
01-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I do great being wheat-free. So good that I will begin to think that maybe I can have some and then I start eating it again and all my problems come back. I don't know why I keep going back to it. I'm resolving this year to quit for good.

My joints feel amazing when I'm wheat free. (I'm also bean free and do low sugar and very little dairy) My movements feel so fluid. The plantars fasciitis went away in my feet. My stomach issues got better. My skin looks clearer and less red. I'm less tired. I have less cravings. My mood seems more even. My husband's allergies went away.

It gets easier once you get used to it. It totally becomes habit.

Cemommster
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I have been hardcore wheat free since the beg of November. Actually I am diagnosed allergic to it. Ugh, it was so hard, but not so much anymore. The fact that I feel like crap if it sneaks in my diet, keeps me in line.

astrophe
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Day 11.

At the end of today will be a week, but I weighed this morning at 263.9. I started new year at 269.5. So about a week and down 5.6 lb.

This is strange to me. I don't loose that much unless it's TOM and it's all pms bloat.

That low grade headache is still there and comes and goes. Noticed my stomach feels weirdly soft. Reminds me of my weirdly soft stomach right after giving birth.

Experiment continues...

A.

lunarsongbird
01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm actually trying to go grains free (Per GAPS/SCD protocol). I too find that my knees hurt much less when I'm off gluten (bone broth helps too). The weight also seems to come off pretty effortlessly.

The thing that I'm really interested in is how it effects my hidradenitis suppurativa, which is a delightfully awful skin condition.

Radiojane
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Many people lose a lot quicker in general when eating wheat free, but the whoosh in the first little bit is water you didn't even know you were retaining. The carbohydrate content in bread products causes your body to hold more water.

JigglyBits
01-12-2013, 12:32 AM
I was trying the Paleo diet around August last year and it cuts out grains totally. I was feeling better without bread in my diet. I had less stomach pains, was less bloated and felt lighter.

Paleo didn't work out for me though because it was a bit too meat-heavy. I'd try it again but I would reintroduce brown rice and more veggies into my diet.

shcirerf
01-12-2013, 03:10 AM
Being, I'm a pro organic person, I would like to know if you were eating organic wheat products or not.

For that matter are you also yes/no eating other organic fruit, grains and meats and how has that choice, if you have done it or not affected your lifestyle and how you feel in general

While I am pro organic, I will not disrespect any plan that works for long term success.

I am a successful Lifetime member of Weight Watchers, and after many long years, have figured out what works for me.

Just wondering.:D

Rana
01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
I was eating organic wheat products and also organic veggies/fruit. I buy organic as much as possible, mostly because I am one of those people that thinks it does taste better.

Wheat doesn't work for me.

I like WW and in fact, my gyno said it's the only plan that really works. I think it's the only plan that works because you are watching portions and trying to eat balanced and I think that's the way to do it. I like Paleo because of the types of food you eat, but even in the Paleo community, there is agreement that at some point, you have to watch your calories too (I just posted an article on this recently in the Low Carb forum).

I think whatever plan works and if you have food sensitivities, you have to watch for those too. I love broccoli, but I can't eat it... :(

nads84
01-12-2013, 02:50 PM
i haven't intentionally stopped eating wheat, but since about the new year, i've pretty much had wheat once or twice. ...i've been doing all my baking with flaxmeal, oatbran, buckwheat, coconut flour, almond meal, and cornmeal and i can't say for certain if i've noticed a difference, however i don't plan on eating wheat any time soon. i have to agree that my appetite seems to be a lot more stable, however i'm not sure if that's due to my increased focus on protein intake (my rule is at least 40grams of protein per meal).

one thing regarding the pro organic comment...i don't think it matters so much as to weather the grain is organic as it does the species of grain. 95% of wheat products out there are (organic or not) are made with dwarf wheat (Triticum aestivum), which is incredibly high yielding and HIGH gluten, which if i'm not mistaken is the source of all health related issues.

i'm still eating grains, but my understanding of agriculture (my grandfather was a wheat/canola aka rape seed farmer) is such that everything that everything that is mass cultivated is all high-yielding, round-up ready, gmo'd.

Radiojane
01-12-2013, 04:22 PM
I agree Rana, calories are very important. Many following paleo watch their calories and macros closely.

The "edge" in paleo for many dieters is that the cleaner food choices help with health issues that may cause weight gain or lack of loss.

You can find success on many different diets, but in the nod ( and why ww works) is calories are the most important factor.

SMSDREAMER2007
01-13-2013, 12:32 AM
I too am wheat free. Well pretty much any grain free. I was/am eating mainly only protein and veggies. I find that high carb in general maees me stall :\ Even eating fruit as heavily as I was this week makes me stall *cries* I LOVE smoothies, but My carbs were WELL over 100 this with wheat in 2 of my days (Pitas from the pita pit) ans what do I have to show for this week? Retaining water while I sleep and no loss ZERO even though I lost a little over 9 lbs last week. *Cries some more* Oh well now I know, next week will be better.

astrophe
01-14-2013, 02:46 AM
13 days down...

Yes, where possible organic as much as I can find. Kinda hard with dining out, but at home yes. I made the organic switch more than 10 years ago when I got the PCOS dx. I knew I couldn't cure it, but I decided to change what I COULD change -- green cleaning, organic non GMO foods, etc. to help reduce exposure. I've found that over the years it gets easier as my finances/food availability/labeling improves but while I'm not longer a broke student... availability and labeling sometimes could still make room for better.

I've tried WW before but it just doesn't do it for me. I prefer to just calorie count the "regular" way than with "points" and things.

Thanks for the feedback guys --I appreciate it. Gives me things to mull over as I make tweaks. I'll try to respond more later.

Today I had no desire for french toast even though DH had some and I ignored the bread basket at dinner when Kid and spouse went there. It's interesting to note how much easier it is for me to eat til I am full, and stop. Before it was hard to stop and I hardly ever felt full on bread.

I do feel content with Udi's bread in a sandwich though. I have it, and I'm good for lunch. I don't want to scarf up the loaf.

I've been trying to find more PCOS/wheat articles to read online so if anyone has any plz post! Thanks! :)

A.

naquitat
01-14-2013, 03:07 AM
I'm new to the site and I to have been dealing with pcos and wt issues for sometime now. I'm finding this site helpful already.

Rana
01-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Astrophe -- how's it going?!

rishu
01-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I am trying out low carb at the moment and I have cut out breads, pastas, pizzas, rice and crisps. I have lost 7lbs in 7 days but I assume it's all water weight. It was a struggle for the first three days but I managed to do it. I have one day (Friday) where I do cheat though :o

astrophe
01-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Well, I'm 23 days in.

I had a tiny amount of wheat in some croutons that snuck into a restaurant soup and I ate it without realizing it and went "Doh!" when I realized. I was trying to avoid it but dang... it's everywhere! Goes to show I need to pay attention rather than be updating my planner while eating! Mindful eating, not mindless!

But with it being such a small amount, I didn't experience too much discomfort. No crazy craving triggers or anything like that. Just a bit of snotty nose but I took a Zyrtec and was able to move past it ok.

A few days later I had this yen for cookies but it was ignorable.

I need to find better solutions for "on the go" lunches. Right now I'm hitting Panera and going for soup/salad combos that skip wheat (except for crouton mistake, darn tomato soup!). Boston market is doable -- just on the lookout for other places on my usual routes so I can organize my errand days around that. Whole Foods is on the way so hitting the buffet there helps too.

A.