100 lb. Club - Really having a hard time finding my motivation again

SmallSteps
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
<Rant>

Life kicked me in the groin last year and I fell all apart. Now I am finding it terribly difficult to get motivated and get back on track. I keep saying I am going to, I need too, but I can't actually seem to DO IT! I am so tired and frustrated with myself and my lack of will power and motivation!!

<End Rant>

Mozzy
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Hugs

I have no advice, I struggle with motivation too

elvislover324
01-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Since I found this site, I use the site as motivation. Seeing what the people here have accomplished makes me want to accomplish it too!

2012 was an awful year for me personally and I decided that all the miles I walk now will take me physically away from 2012 and deep into 2013, the more the better!!

I wish you lots of luck on your journey and hope that you find the same enjoyment I do with this site. (Reading all the posts and typing replies also keeps my nose out of the fridge!!)

SmallSteps
01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Really I spent Sunday night watching the Biggest Loser with a bag of chips and a bowl of french onion dip. LOL! How awful is that?

Pacifica Bee
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
You aren't the first person I have read about that watched that show and ate while watching it. I am starting to think there is a pattern here and that show is a trigger making some of us break down and eat poorly.

In any case, I wish I had some good advice for you on motivation, but I am empty handed. I tried for 3 solid months, night after night , trying to motivate myself to get back on track. I tried being nice to myself and promising how great it was going to be. I tried berating myself about how awful I was being to my body. I made myself promises and threatened taking away treats forever. Nothing worked. I just woke up one morning and suddenly I knew I was back on track. Granted it has only been a week, but I already feel much better.

Maybe baby steps will work for you? Instead of being 100% on a plan, practice saying "no" to the bag of chips or allowing a small portion you pre- measure into a bowl plus an apple? It's not ideal, but it would be a small victory that you could feel good about.

KYgirlinSC
01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Good luck on getting motivation...that is one of my biggest problems too. I am trying to remember how I feel when I exercise or eat right. I too have been using this website as motivation. Everyone is awesome, and it's helped me!

elvislover324
01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Really I spent Sunday night watching the Biggest Loser with a bag of chips and a bowl of french onion dip. LOL! How awful is that?

That was Sunday!! It's so 2 days ago!! :)

Don't worry about the past, we can't go there and change it nor should we worry about it! Today is a brand new day! (I know it's hard to think like that but somehow a magic switch in my head turned on when I started my diet and I'm so thankful for that!)

And.....the food temptations for the players on The Biggest Loser used to make me want to lick my tv. GROSS!! lol

elvislover324
01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I just woke up one morning and suddenly I knew I was back on track.

^^ This happened to me too, the magic I mentioned above. No other way to describe it except something clicked.

Instead of being 100% on a plan, practice saying "no" to the bag of chips or allowing a small portion you pre- measure into a bowl plus an apple?

^^^ I already told my husband if I ever ever have another potato chip (Dorito, Cheeto, Frito) in my life, he is going to have to count out the portion and hide the supply from me. I'm like a Hoover vacuum near a snack chip bag. But at least now I know and that truly is half the battle.

April Snow
01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I was going to suggest what Pacifica Bee said - use your user name as your motivation and start with small steps. Pick one thing - committing to 20 minutes of activity or journalling your food or replacing one high cal item a day with something lower calorie. Those are just random suggestions, but pick something that works for you, that you can nod your head and say "yes, I can do that."

or what has worked for me was to pick a day, a few days in advance, and say this is my re-start day. I cleared out the off-plan food as best I could, I went shopping to make sure I had the foods I needed, i cooked and prepped what I would need to eat (my plan is very restrictive but in some ways, that's easier for me, because I can just go on auto pilot!). For me, having something specific that I was working towards, but enough time to get used to the idea (about 4 days) was what I needed.

foucault
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
I think looking at the Goal and Mini-Goal areas of this forum are great motivation. They make me excited to do my best so I can make one of those posts one day.

You just need to find what works best for you. Some people like to gradually slide into changing their diets and lives by removing a particularly bad trigger food or adding a 20 minute daily walk. Some people have to throw everything in at once and be extremely strict with themselves to stick to a plan. Figure out what motivates you and give it a go.

ChrissyBean
01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Know what motivates me the most? My ticker. Nothing makes me go YEAH! like getting to update it to a lower weight.

It's when I plateau for a long time that I have issues with motivation.

mandalinn82
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
So...why wait to be motivated?

You are an adult. Ultimately, you are in charge, right? You're getting your food, you're deciding what to do with your time. These are decisions that you, and you alone, are in charge of making.

Don't wait until you WANT to do it. Don't wait until you're MOTIVATED to do it. Just do it.

When you do it, you'll feel better, and probably lose weight. And then you'll be motivated for real. But you don't have to be motivated to do it...you just have to decide to do it.

Edited to add: I was re-reading, and I wondered if I was too harsh, so I'm sorry if it came across that way! For me, this is a real empowering message...I am in charge! I make the decisions! I don't have to wait for the motivation gods to rain willpower from the sky to get started!...that's the point I was trying to make.

chubbiegurl
01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Mandalinn82 is so right! I suffer from depression and lose all motivation from time to time. Since I started my recent weight loss journey I fell into depression once and didn't really care for keeping up with exercising and eating right, but I did it anyway. I couldnt really see the big picture during that time but forced myself to push forward.
Just think of how healthy u will be, if u have or want kids think of them, think of the clothes u can shop for, think of how much better u will look, think about how much better u will feel overall. If. none of that helps who cares, just Do it!

Steph7409
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I agree with mandalinn - you have to think of commitment as empowering. I have to keep telling myself that I'm stronger than my bad habits, that I'm worth the effort, that it's all on me to make my life better.

All of us here are motivated to a certain extent or we wouldn't be on 3FC, but motivation isn't enough. We have to make good choices, over and over and over again.

You're strong, you can do this!

lunarsongbird
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Is there anything in particular that is zapping your motivation? Desire to eat bad foods? Fatigue?

Are you taking a good multi-vitamin? Sometimes I feel like that makes all the difference in the world.

linJber
01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Mandalinn hit it right on the head. You did it before. You felt great while doing it. So just do it again. You know you can. If the doctor told you that you had cancer, you wouldn't need to be motivated to get chemo. Well, this is very close to the same thing. We all know it, we might not want to admit it. I'm never motivated to shovel snow, mow the grass, do the laundry, or mop the kitchen floor. But it all has to be part of the routine.

Just do it.

Lin

lunarsongbird
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm never motivated to shovel snow, mow the grass, do the laundry, or mop the kitchen floor. But it all has to be part of the routine.
Lin

Isn't that the truth?! BUT...I LOVE how it feels with the laundry is done, the driveway is clear or the kitchen floor is sparkling.

Just like how I LOVE the feeling when the numbers on the scale drops or my pants feel not as tight.

betsy2013
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
I agree with what others say that there's just that day where you wake up and can do it. In the meantime, are you at all competitive? If so, find a buddy, pick one day a week, and then share your pounds and inches loss. Also, I bought a scale that measures in tenths of a pound. I know it sounds silly, but it motivates me to stay on the diet even if I only lost .1 or .2 of a pound. In my mind, it's working!!!! But, I have to admit that knowing I have to share the weight loss and inches loss every week has been a huge help in keeping me on track. And, it's a very friendly and supportive challenge. We email back and forth as we don't live close to each other and share what's going on during the week.

Slashnl
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I agree with Mandalinn, too, and with the others who have said to take it one day at a time. I just wanted to send one more cliche that has helped me, too. Fake it till you make it. Force yourself to go exercise one day, then the next, then the next. Force yourself to eat a healthy breakfast on just one day, then the next, then the next. Cut out snacks for one day, then the next... All of a sudden your habits are set in a good way!

sassyangies
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
You aren't the first person I have read about that watched that show and ate while watching it. I am starting to think there is a pattern here and that show is a trigger making some of us break down and eat poorly.

In any case, I wish I had some good advice for you on motivation, but I am empty handed. I tried for 3 solid months, night after night , trying to motivate myself to get back on track. I tried being nice to myself and promising how great it was going to be. I tried berating myself about how awful I was being to my body. I made myself promises and threatened taking away treats forever. Nothing worked. I just woke up one morning and suddenly I knew I was back on track. Granted it has only been a week, but I already feel much better.

Maybe baby steps will work for you? Instead of being 100% on a plan, practice saying "no" to the bag of chips or allowing a small portion you pre- measure into a bowl plus an apple? It's not ideal, but it would be a small victory that you could feel good about.

She is so right.. I kept trying to force myself to be "ready" and if your not ready your not ready. But still keep trying ok. Don't give up. Forgive yourself, and go shopping.. hehe.. Even when I'm broke I'll go to goodwills, and savers and just shop a little. It gets my mind of stuff and I can just chill.
xoxo hugs.. Hope it gets better for ya!!

SmallSteps
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you all! This is the reason I come here! In your face advice without tap dancing around it. :)

SmallSteps
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
I am not a whiny, needy person. I just remember how it felt last year when I was on track and losing weight, how great I felt, how I looked forward to exercising and weighing in.

I am just saying I can't seem to get "THAT" feeling back again. I know it will come in time but until then I am taking it a day at a time. This week has been very good for me, but unfortunately the scale is not showing it yet.

SmallSteps
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Edited to add: I was re-reading, and I wondered if I was too harsh, so I'm sorry if it came across that way! For me, this is a real empowering message...I am in charge! I make the decisions! I don't have to wait for the motivation gods to rain willpower from the sky to get started!...that's the point I was trying to make.

Unfortunately not all of us can "Just do it", if I can't find my will power and motivation nothing is ever going to happen.

Update: I seemed to have found it this past week even though things aren't going smoothly things are going :)

SmallSteps
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
She is so right.. I kept trying to force myself to be "ready" and if your not ready your not ready. But still keep trying ok. Don't give up. Forgive yourself, and go shopping.. hehe.. Even when I'm broke I'll go to goodwills, and savers and just shop a little. It gets my mind of stuff and I can just chill.
xoxo hugs.. Hope it gets better for ya!!

Thanks Sassy :) and you are correct if you are not ready you are not ready. You can't force yourself to have motivation, desire, willpower.

I did get myself going this week but it has not been completely smooth sailing but at least I am moving.

linJber
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
It gets easier, too. I was not at the gym very often during December. It was just so busy from Thanksgiving right through the new year. Last week I put it off again. This week I went on the days I usually go - Body Pump on Mon and Wed, Cardio Kick on Tues. This week feels AMAZING, so I assume I'll go on Sat and Sun like I was doing before. I think we get into a rut and we tell ourselves we'll get moving, but we forget how good it actually feels to do what we know is right. Once we start up that positive behavior, it's easier to keep it going.

You did so well last year - you'll get it back soon.

Lin

Kaitie9399
01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Someone has this in their profile:

One year from now you'll be glad that you didn't give up.

Keep pushing yourself, keep thinking about all the awesome clothes you're going to buy when you reach your goal weight!

You can do it!

misspixie
01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately not all of us can "Just do it", if I can't find my will power and motivation nothing is ever going to happen.

Update: I seemed to have found it this past week even though things aren't going smoothly things are going :)

Glad things are going better. I understand totally how if your head isnt in the game its tough to do. I know if my head isnt in the game its pretty much impossible to stay on track. Things change tho, one day it seems better or "right", thatll happen to you the thing is to just hang on and minimize the damage and it will click for you promise.

charliee
01-20-2013, 02:56 AM
I've found in my own experience that when things are not going well in other parts of my life, motivation for bettering myself kind of goes out the window. Sometimes I can push through it, and kind of keep working out and making better food choices on autopilot, sometimes it's very difficult to not completely fall off track. The truth of the situation is not a pleasant one. You need to deal with the things that are setting you back, and that's not to say "just fix them" because not all setbacks can fixed. But you need to acknowledge them and make some sort of plan to deal with and move past them.

If there are no other setbacks and it's just about the weight then don't be so hard on yourself. If this week isn't the week to go balls to the wall at the gym, then that's cool. As along as you try not to derail your eating habits too much you'll be fine. Maybe next week you'll see a pair of kick *** heels that will look great with a short skirt, or a celeb haircut you need to try that will motivate you again.

Sorry for the rambling, I had a green tea about half and hour ago, and I feel like I've been posting like a crazy person :)

Anyway, I hope that helped. Good luck!

Misti in Seattle
01-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Yes yes YES to what Mandalinn said! That elusive motivation is not going to get you anywhere because even if it appears it won't last long. You just have to make a decision and go DO it! So often after working a long day I feel "motivated" to go home and crash out. But I head my car toward the gym anyway and go do my workout and am always SO glad I did!!!

And yes all of us CAN "just go do it." It's not any easier for those of us who do it than for those who don't. It just depends on whether we want something badly enough to do what it takes to achieve it.

And once it becomes a habit, it does become easier. And it also helps to become actively involved here to give yourself some accountability and support/encouragement.

Hang in there!

RNJen30
01-20-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm probably the LAST person who is qualified to give advice about motivation, but I'll chime in with what has kept me going THIS time... honestly, the "goal" and "mini-goal" pictures have helped. I see people who have lost as much, if not more than me and it's amazing.

I think "mini-goals" are a great start! It's easier to look at a smaller picture and add a bunch of small pictures together to get the BIG PICTURE!!! Losing 100+ is extremely overwhelming... but losing 5, 10 or even 20 isn't. Keep track of the little things until it ends up being a big thing... and then celebrate! :)

I also think that being accountable to someone (I have my trainer as well as people on the site) helps... I'm honestly one of those people that needs a :kickbutt: and I expect people to get on my case when I do something wrong!

Good luck with your journey!

sluggerbean
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Belinda, I hope things are going better and you are enjoying your weekend with your fellow. ;)

I love the ideas of "just do it", however for me I also have to plan, plan, plan!! I pretty much live by the creed of "To fail to plan is to plan to fail". That is what helped me get back on track this past summer when I derailed for a month. Remember how I was? :dizzy:

Misti is right; even though we've had a long, tough day at work, we need to stick to our plan and go exercise anyway!! :kickbutt:

Have a great week and PLAN to make it a great week!!!