Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What do we do when we want a burger?

mimsyborogoves
01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
I usually make a turkey burger or get a chicken sandwich, but what do you guys do? And I bake sweet tater fries in the oven instead of getting regular fries. Usually satisfies both cravings for way less calories!

mandalinn82
01-07-2013, 11:34 PM
I'll make a burger, but with a lettuce wrap (note, most restaurants will make this for you, too, so if you're going out for a burger with friends, you can still do that).

Typically, my wife and I will split our side orders...one of us will get a side salad, and one of us will get fries or sweet potato fries. Then we split both. We usually don't finish the fries, but even if we do, half an order with a lettuce wrapped burger is still pretty reasonable.

sontaikle
01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Make my own! I seriously do not eat burgers out anymore because they never taste as good as the ones my family makes. We get some ground beef, shape it into burgers and grill it! Yum!

I always have mine without the bun, with some cheese, tomato and roasted pepper on top.

I don't have them all that often, but when I do it certainly kills the craving for a burger for quite some time. :)

vabs
01-07-2013, 11:48 PM
I go with the lettuce wrap, too. Even if carbs are a non issue for you, it saves quite a few calories!
And I've learned that if you like a burger with lots of condiments and veggies, it's best to kind of wrap it up half way with a small piece of parchment paper after you've got the lettuce on it. Like a hamburger diaper, to use the absolute worse imagery possible (sorry!). :D

JohnP
01-08-2013, 12:56 AM
I just eat a cheeseburger. Usually In & Out. Actually, a double cheeseburger.

mandalinn82
01-08-2013, 01:00 AM
In N Out is my favorite place to order a lettuce wrapped burger. Protein style double double...mmmm.

JohnP
01-08-2013, 01:06 AM
In N Out is my favorite place to order a lettuce wrapped burger. Protein style double double...mmmm.

Yep. Try it with whole grill onions. Yum!

Arctic Mama
01-08-2013, 01:08 AM
I eat a burger? There is almost no plan that can't fit some type of sandwich/hamburger. In my case, they're a staple - no bun and hold the sweet sauces. Bunless double bacon cheeseburgers have made my butt shrink quite nicely :)

Mozzy
01-08-2013, 01:45 AM
I go with a turkey burger!

ParkTrot
01-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Yep. Try it with whole grill onions. Yum!

Oooh I never thought about asking them to do that. Wonderful idea. I do wish they'd start carrying bacon though!

I will either go to In-N-Out and get a burger protein style, or make a bison burger at home with tons of caramelized onions and bacon and slap it between sweet potato "chips" or lettuce. I don't eat dairy and rarely budge on that, so not a cheeseburger but a burger none the less! No bun due to no grain, but I actually like the taste of the bison better between sweet potatoes.

sontaikle
01-08-2013, 07:21 AM
There are no In-N-Out burgers in New York :( Makes me so sad because I hear so many good things about them. Argh!

Oh well, I was thinking of moving anyway. Time to move, y/y? :lol:

emurph
01-08-2013, 07:28 AM
If I really want a burger, I get a Burger King Whopper Jr. with no cheese and no mayo. That plus fruit or salad is a lunch/dinner combo that will not push me over my calorie budget as long as I've planned out what I'm eating for that day.

WAHMto5
01-08-2013, 07:29 AM
If I really have taste for one, I have one! I normally use 93% beef, lower fat bun, and fill it up with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, ect.... Yum!

wcjoyner
01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
I get a Happy Meal from McDonalds and load up the hamburger with lettuce, fresh onions, etc.

bargoo
01-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I usually make my own and my own are way better than Mickey D's. Whether I make my own or order one in a restaurant I ask for no bun or just don't eat the bun., saves calories . PS I love sweet potatao fries.

katrinakit
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
I miss In N out.

And lol @ hamburger diaper!

I would probably just eat the burger without the bun. The buns on most hamburgers are pretty tasteless anyways. Might as well go to the "meat" of what you are craving!

But I also highly recommend the "flame-grilled" boca burger. yummm

nelie
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
I don't eat meat any more but throughout my weight loss (non-vegetarian then vegetarian), I'd still go to Red Robin once in a while, I'd just fit the calories in. Even now, I may or may not go to Red Robin (they have a veggie burger and a whole wheat bun). I'd just change what went on my burger and figure it into my calorie counts. If you are a calorie counter, I'd suggest dropping the mayo and the cheese and filling up on other condiments. I'd even put avocado on (good sub for both cheese and mayo). And even though the fries are 'limitless', I never got refills on the fries or I'd get the side salad instead.

freelancemomma
01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
I'm not much of a meat person so don't crave burgers. When I order one it's usually some kind of veggie burger.

F.

newleaf123
01-08-2013, 08:58 AM
I make burgers at home, but mainly just in summer because I like them on the grill. I eat mine on half a bun, which works out fine.

mnemosyne
01-08-2013, 09:49 AM
But I also highly recommend the "flame-grilled" boca burger. yummm

Yep. I'm also a fan of the Morningstar Farms Tomato and Basil Burger and Spicy Black Bean burger. OOOOR, Luna Burgers. Organic, locally sourced-veggie burgers, often made WITHOUT SOY made in Ohio. Available at Whole Foods markets and in Ohio and surrounding states, frozen. I also like Phoenix Organics tofu burgers, which are made in WV but mostly sold in Cali. And I adore their meatless meatballs.

Either alone or on slim-sliced Jewish rye or pumpernickel (there is a brand in my grocery store that is nice bread, thin-sliced, 100 calories for 2 slices, and it tastes like real bread, not air-puffed fake 35 cal/slice bread) with good mustard and a slice of thin-sliced smoked Provolone. + veggies and pickles and pop chips.

And if I want fries I just buy frozen shoestring fries at the grocery store and cook them in the oven. Cascadian Farms has some that are pretty good, minimal coating, 5 servings per bag (I don't want to have 15 servings of fries sitting around in my freezer tempting me).

Oh, but I'm vegetarian so I don't really crave burgers, so much as sandwiches. Hah.

TripSwitch
01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
If I want a burger... I have a burger... But I have a really, really good one at a place that I know and really like... Something like the DB burger at DB Bistro Morderne or something like that... Then I hit the gym for a punishing workout and pretty much don't eat the rest of the day to try and make up for it... :)

mandalinn82
01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
There is an excellent local burger joint around here that serves ostrich burgers. Ostrich has EXCELLENT nutrition stats compared to ground beef, and tastes very beefy in my opinion. One of those, wrapped in lettuce, is also delicious.

LiLLy19
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Nothing beats a homemade burger...when I crave a burger I'll usually make it at home myself!

Someone mentioned a whopper jr and that's what I get when I'm out on the run. Its small enough to not be a huge calorie bomb and its also filling. Always a great option.

Quack Addict
01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
If we're grilling in the summertime, I'll eat a beef hamburger... but stop at one and either put the burger on a roll or omit the roll and add a slice of fat-free cheese. Most of the time, though, if I want a burger, I make myself a salmon burger. I love 'em... and one burger in one of those sandwich thins with some veggies on the side makes a great, quick meal for me!

VaVaVoom
01-09-2013, 05:14 AM
If it's a minor craving I will eat a black bean burger or salmon burger on a whole wheat bun.

if it's a crazy I gotta have it craving, I'll have a greasy fast food burger of my choosing. One "bad" meal isn't going to ruin my day or my diet as long as I pick up where I left off right after my meal. It might mean an extra work out but that's okay.

mimsyborogoves
01-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I didn't get to make my turkey burger. -sad face is sad- I went to have one for lunch yesterday thinking we had those frozen butterball turkey patties, and we did not.

But I decided that I want a real, good burger so me and a friend are going to Five Guys for a late lunch/early dinner. I've budgeted it in my calories and have already planned out what I'm gonna put on it. I figure, if I'm gonna have a burger, might as well have me a BURGER. Then I won't want one for awhile. :)

deadkittens
01-14-2013, 04:54 AM
use a small 110cal bun and lean ground beef and have a small patty. im a vegetarian 99 percent of the time but yesterday i had a hamburger and the bun was 110cals and the meat pattie was 38g cooked so i think 50cals (counted it as 100 cal since i have no clue)? and i had lots of condoments. i think it was still well under 300 cals but im not sure how many cals the 38g patty really was :s

but there are ways of making it low cal etc

April Snow
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I figure, if I'm gonna have a burger, might as well have me a BURGER. Then I won't want one for awhile. :)

yep, if you are going to have a treat, make it be one you will really enjoy!

owlsteazombies
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Ground bison makes a great burger! But I generally have turkey burgers..with fat free thousand island, a skim milk piece of american and lots of pickles on a slimwich. It's Big Mac esque.

Renwomin
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
There are no In-N-Out burgers in New York :( Makes me so sad because I hear so many good things about them. Argh!

Oh well, I was thinking of moving anyway. Time to move, y/y? :lol:

Having had both, I think In-N-Out is very similiar to Five Guys Burgers which you likely have in your area? I actually prefer Five Guys since there are more topping options. (Love your avatar btw).

I just read about making butternut squash fries vs. sweet potato fries because they have about half the calories and they are still very nutritious.

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Comparison (http://www.fitsugar.com/Nutritional-Comparison-Squash-Sweet-Potatoes-11629241)

I haven't tried this yet, but I've gotten a squash to do just this thing. Has anyone tried them already?

marigrace
01-19-2013, 10:13 AM
When I'm in the mood, I go for very lean free range beef (broiled) on a light english muffin with ketchup and lots of lettuce, tomato and bermuda onion. I usually have organic oven fries on the side .....yum !

shcirerf
01-20-2013, 02:07 AM
I have one! Either at home from our home grown beef or the venison in my freezer.

Or, I hit the local corner bar that patties their own and does it on the old flat grill. They are yummy.

If I'm really craving one, I'm better off to work it in than try to avoid it, because I end up browsing and grazing, etc. to try to find a substitute for the burger.

the shiv
01-29-2013, 01:37 AM
If I want a burger... I have a burger! BUT: only if I'm truly hungry, and only if I really want it. It only tastes good if I'm really hungry and I really want it. Otherwise it just tastes bland.

Not worth it to go round the "I could have a burger-substitute" merry go round, eat 3 other things, and then end up eating the damn burger anyway.

Oh yeah, and I only have one. After that the craving's gone. Wish I'd realised that 10 years ago, I might not be in this mess ;)

Alyj89
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
I make my own or get a big Mac from McDonald's (rare, but paired with a big salad it's perfectly in dinner calorie range)

I use very lean beef and fat free cheese, lots of veggies, and the lowest calorie buns I can find or just sandwhich bread.
When I have time I make butternut squash fries - sooo good!

kidjng
01-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I figure, if I'm gonna have a burger, might as well have me a BURGER. Then I won't want one for awhile. :)

This is the way I feel too. I try to seek out a place that serves grass fed organic beef, no bun and load up on the veggies. I think I ate four burgers in all of 2012, so satisfying the craving once really goes a long way for me.

California Kathy
01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm in with the turkey clan. Higher protein and less fat and I prefer the taste anyway. Walden Farms mayo, dill pickle slices, mustard, Walden Farms ketchup, raw onion and I don't do a wrap. I just throw it on a plate.

California Kathy
01-30-2013, 11:39 PM
oh. I forgot to say...there's a bakery online, located in San Diego County, called Julian Bakery. they make a low carb bread that has only a couple carbs per slice. Julian Bakery hamburgers with very, very, very little carbs from the bread

Betty Jewel
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
We grill burgers made from bison.

Silverfire
02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Sometimes if I want a burger but don't have the stuff, I will make a grilled mushroom and cheese sandwich. I use lots of 'shrooms and not so much cheese. The 'shrooms give you a "meaty" texture, I love it.

betsy2013
02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I make a burger at home, but no bun. I always like mine with all the fixings, so I put it on a lettuce leaf then top it with sugar free ketchup, grilled onions and mushrooms and some gorgonzola crumbles. Actually, much better without the bun!

OwlsOnConcrete
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
If I am out and want a burger, the burger king down the road sells morning star farms veggie burgers. Otherwise I have a giant box of frozen meatless patties in the freezer at home. Mustard, pickles and wheat loaf bread.

Prism21
02-09-2013, 12:33 AM
I'll just eat a burger. If I don't, I know that I'm gonna try and sub with a ton of other things to fill my craving and that will be worse in the end.

If it's at home, I'll just swap the bread for my low carb Sara Lee 45 cal bread or something similar. If it's out in a restaurant, sometimes I'll order protein style or with wheat bread. I'll usually just make adjustments to the rest of my day to accommodate for it if I keep the bread. But I'll always tell them no mayo or just ask for it on the side.

tacocat1
03-07-2013, 04:34 PM
I drive to in-n-out and get a protein style 3x3 :carrot:
I eat whatever I want. I just make sure I don't go over my allotted calories.

Saga
03-07-2013, 11:17 PM
I have a burger (with coleslaw on the side). But I make sure that it fits into my daily calorie allotment, and it's usually then my one big meal of the day. The rest of the day, I just eat a salad with low-cal dressing and a couple pieces of fruit.

Or, if I'm willing to cook at home, I make a burger in a low-calorie flatout wrap with a laughing cow chipotle wedge mixed in with the ground beef, topped with tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, red onions, ketchup, mustard, and lettuce inside the wrap. Delicious!

lin43
03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I will only eat burgers at home because I only eat organic. If I crave one, I have it---w/ sharp cheddar, onions, some mayo, ketchup, & mustard. It only comes to about 500 calories for that. I'll also usually have potatoes on the side, which I spray w/ olive oil spray (using a Misto, of course), broil, & dip in ketchup.