Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #1  

Default Where to start, Advice?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and first off, just wanted to say that it's really encouraging to see so many people actively losing weight and staying positive. I'm hoping it will rub off on me.

Here's my question - Where do I start?

I stress eat and bored eat. My job is good for where I am at in life right now but it is definatly aggrevating and I feel like I let little things bothers me much more than I ought to. Most shifts, in the evening, I go over to the candy aisle and I'll pick up a little something and it helps to get me through the shift (or a coffee next door, or an energy drink because I don't sleep enough, etc.). I'm sure this sounds familiar to a lot of people. I don't know how to get through a shift when I'm all antsy and snacky and feel like I *deserve* to go buy a chocolate bar.

I'm at a point in my life where I am starting over for weight loss. I have around 30 lbs to lose, so I feel like I've tricked myself into thinking that it's not *that* bad and I don't have *that* much weight to lose, so I can let it fall to the wayside for a while and ignore the problem. I'm mostly worried that it's going to sneak up on me in a couple years and I will have a serious problem at that point. However, because it isn't as serious (in my mind) I don't feel a lot of motivation to buckle down and lose some weight.

Any advice? People in a similar spot? Any input would be great.
Kate023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #2  
tallnthick

S/C/G: 203/193/180

Height: 5'9"

You have to focus and find motivation. Staying focused is the hardest thing for me. Think of it as a lifestyle change. Once the weight is gone all u would have to do is maintain. When u feel yourself emotional eating, grab an apple or something healthy. Stay away from all the bad food. U can do it. It just requires dedication. I will be starting my journey again.
lilneezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

You gotta be ready mentally to lose the weight.
If you are ready to commit, today is the day to make better choices.
Start by tracking what you eat on any given day. Analyze your food choices.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #4  
Underdog to Beastmode

S/C/G: 231/192.8/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm with the other posters here, motivation is always good to have, sometimes it comes from an inciting incident, positive or negative, or it just comes from within. I've seen things that help motivate people like making lists of why to and why not to lose weight, reading peoples goal stories and seeing their before and after photos, watching inspirational videos and TV shows, and just getting educated on different weight loss plans until you can find something that works awesome for you. There are many resources in the library and online, and here too! If we are able to help you, we definitely will.

As far as stress and work, keep bags of healthy snacks around the office. Luna bars are amazing and filling, and bags of homemade trail mix (I do raisins and peanuts together and that usually does the trick). If you bag them individually you're less likely to overeat.

I hope that helps. I know you will do awesome and kick that 30 lbs' @ss.
namaste984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #5  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

I agree with some of the advice here. I work at a restaurant, so I know how hard it can be not to snack on things that are available. You can still snack! In fact, you should! Just make sure that you're snacking on better things. If you get a coffee drink, get one that is healthier or even just smaller. Try a skinny latte or making any high caloric drink skinny. Ask for non-fat milk instead of regular milk.

You can bring snacks to work with you in your purse to have when you are feeling stressed. One trick I've found is to actually READ the nutritional information on what you want to eat. It forces you to own up to what you're about to put in your body. That chocolate bar will taste good, but do you want to eat 600 calories?

Stay focused and keep reminding yourself of your final goal. A good quote I found is that you should eat for long term success, not short term satisfaction. No matter how serious you are about losing weight, it will still be hard to change your life, but starting out small is a good way to trick your body. Don't say that you're not going to snack at all at work. You might be able to hold off one day, but you're not trying for one day, you're trying for forever. Good luck!
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote