Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc - Spaghetti squash

View Full Version : Spaghetti squash

Little Minnie
01-07-2013, 10:15 PM
I farm and grow these squash but have never eaten one. I have one in storage. What is the best meal to make with it for Medifast?

Little Minnie
01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Also I have tons of frozen shredded zucchini if anyone has an idea how to use that isn't in a cake like I normally do.:D I have made pizza crust with it but that requires some flour so I was wondering what else to do.

AnnaBoBanna
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh man, love spaghetti squash! Poke a few deep holes in it and toss in the microwave for about 10 minutes. Cut in half (be careful of steam) and pull out strands with a fork. I love it with pasta sauce, veggies.

Little Minnie
01-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah but what kind of sauce?

joefla70
01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I do exactly what Anna suggested. I am not familiar with Medifast, so I don't know what your particular diet restrictions are. But I usually don't use a "sauce." Rather, I usually do a scampi style recipe and add shimp. I just saute' some garlic and onion in a little bit of olive oil in a skillet. Then, when I am done scooping out the strands of spaghetti squash, I toss it in the pan to coat with the garlic and oil. I sprinkle in a little basil and Parmesan cheese (and some onion powder and garlic powder for added flavor if needed).

If I am making a shimp scampi, I usually buy the pre-cooked, peeled and de-veined shimp and add the shrimp to the oil and garlic to warm up before adding in the squash.

Little Minnie
01-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't think garlic and onions are allowed.

joefla70
01-08-2013, 05:34 PM

I guess the powder will have to do then.

I can understand not being allowed to have onion because of the sugar content when cooked. But garlic?

dunebaby
01-28-2013, 12:06 AM

Garlic is allowed as a condiment (1 tsp).

Riddy
03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Love spaghetti squash!

I usually cut it in half first, scoop out the seeds, and microwave cut side down in a casserole dish with 1/2 inch of water for about 20 minutes. You can also bake at 375, 45 minutes cut side down, then cut side up til tender.

I make a sauce with low fat ricotta (meatless lean), garlic, basil, lots of black pepper, a little lemon juice to thin it out.

For a side dish, I eat it with just salt, pepper & garlic (olive oil if I have a fat serving left to use).