Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Jan 7 - Jan 13

BillBlueEyes
01-07-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm so proud of not nibbling on cranberry/nut bread yesterday that I'm ready to declare the Eating Season over. Done. It's new year time.

My brain is full time wanting my leg to heal completely. I'm good enough to walk; I no longer have a cast; I'm not limping. But I want it all healed. NOW. Friends laugh at me telling me that their break took a full year to heal. We maintainers should have achieved patience by now.

bargoo
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
We maintainers should have achieved patience by now.

I must have missed that in the guidebook.

Megan1982
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Oh, I'm supposed to be patient? Nobody told me! Good luck with that, Bill. Sending *patiencevibes* your way. I do think you have good incentive to take it as the doctor prescribes. You don't want to risk re-injury and an every longer recovery. Good job for avoiding the bread yesterday.

I was rather dismayed at the baby shower yesterday by the lack of anything green or even fruit for the brunch shower, but I gave myself a pat for eating small portions of the best choices I could make, and trying to enjoy my friends rather than focus on food. I took small portions of the "healthiest" (I use the term loosely) items, skipped most of the multiple desserts minus half of the piece of cake that was handed to me, and drank water rather than the punch and mimosas. I guess the weight gods appreciated my efforts bc the scale is finally starting to descend from its holiday/vacation heights.

I went early to the shower to help decorate and all in all, ended up with a 5 hour event. I thought I'd have a bit more time in my day. A dog walk, making dinner (healthy one that will last a few nights), and a phone call to my mom and the weekend was gone. More of the same in the office this week. It's a rather boring time of year at work. I'm not good at sitting in front of the computer.

How was everybody's weekend?

paperclippy
01-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Bill, glad you're out of a cast! I hope it all heals quickly.

Megan, I'm really surprised that a brunch shower didn't even have fruit. I mean, usually baby showers have SOME healthy food because the expectant mom is supposed to be eating healthy. :shrug:

I had a decent weekend. DH is still sick, but between getting him some real-deal Sudafed (the kind I had to have my driver's license scanned and sign for at the pharmacy counter) and having him sleep propped up on pillows instead of flat, he seems to be much improved this morning. That is, he only spent two minutes hacking up a lung when he got up instead of ten! He's still working from home today but will be back in the office tomorrow.

While he stayed on the couch all weekend (to be fair, he cooked for me, did the laundry, and did the dishes), I took Carter for a nice long walk and went to a prenatal yoga class. We had a hilarious moment on our walk when we crossed the street near where I thought someone had left a coat lying next to the piled-up snow on their driveway, and all of a sudden what I thought was a coat moved! Carter started barking because he was as startled as me. Turns out a kid was excavating a tunnel through the giant snowpile and only his legs were sticking out the back, and I thought his legs were just some abandoned clothing. :lol: Then on our way home Carter got nervous because there was a plastic bag blowing around on someone's yard and he thought it was some kind of scary creature. Gotta love dogs.

CherryPie99
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
What is this "patience" you speak of?

I had a pretty productive weekend. 6 mile walk with the dogs on Saturday and 7.5 on Sunday. Also ran 3 on the treadmill Sunday, did 2 loads of wash, cleaned the refrigerator and still got to watch football!

Trying very hard to keep this organization and momentum I have going!

Hope everyone has a great first full week of the new year!!

Jen

alinnell
01-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Good morning!

I'm hoping to get some grapefruit in the mail this week, so be on the lookout you two who are recipients. I've been told that they are juicy and delicious (I'll find out myself later this morning).

Hoping to get in some treadmill time tonight. What do they say--you shouldn't exercise close to bedtime? I'm striving for 7 PM--after dinner, but 2 to 3 hours before I usually turn in.

We went to see Life of Pi yesterday (Django Unchained will have to wait until after our vacation). I liked it. It followed the book quite well.

ChrisMohr
01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Bill,

Good luck with your patience thing, let me know if you find out how to attain it!

Happy to report that Day Two of my "quasi-cleanse" (no processed sugar or chocolate in any form) was a success. Tough as it usually is. Day Three (today) will be somewhat easier if past withdrawal periods are any indication.

When Bill attains patience and I attain total food equanimity the angels will rejoice. In the meantime I am willing to slog through and do what I gotta do to get back on track. It can be sloppy work this maintenance thing!

bargoo
01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi Bill,

It can be sloppy work this maintenance thing!

And forever ! ( in my case )

Mudpie
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Good Morning all! I'm back at my house this evening. For the next weekend sit (happening in 2 weekends) I WILL buy some of my own food. I ate waaay too much organic peanut butter and stuff, fooling myself in saying it's healthier. It might be re ingredients but the calorie count is still pretty high.

And the loaf of organic banana bread that I kept toasting and spreading with same PB was delicious but in no way a maintenance food.

I did eat an interesting kale salad that I bought from the organic food market. Kinda tasty but not worth $10 :eek:.

Good week all! DH is cooking tonite so I'm happy! :D

Dagmar :coolsnow:

traveling michele
01-07-2013, 11:39 AM
If patience is a virtue, I am not the least bit virtuous.

I am very ready to be back to my routines. Younger dd leaves tomorrow, and older dd leaves Friday (or Saturday I don't remember now). Until then, it's still tricky to eat healthy, get to the gym, etc. But I'm trying.......

krampus
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Hello maintainers,

I managed to keep my weight within 0.8 lb of itself all weekend, which required restraint on my part. My roommate got a new job working at a preschool! I am looking forward to having a nice boring week.

Shannon in ATL
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
My week is off to an pretty okay start, other than not getting enough sleep last night. Weight is the same today as Friday, which I'm taking as a good sign from the weekend as it is normally up.

I'm about to head right back into busy weeks, with having to go out and audit I9 forms and train people on the EVerify system. Lots of driving in the net few weeks. Again.

ICUwishing
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
:wave:

Peeled off half of the holiday gains (the easy part), and am back to the normal routine. Going back under 150 was a major boost - whew! Now to consistently behave like I never want to see that number again.

Shannon in ATL
01-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Woo Becky!

bargoo
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
:wave:

Peeled off half of the holiday gains (the easy part), and am back to the normal routine. Going back under 150 was a major boost - whew! Now to consistently behave like I never want to see that number again.

That 150 number means something to me, when I was over 200 pounds and started a diet I set my goal at 150, someone said,"well, you'll still be obese".
150 pounds is not a healthy weight for someone just 5' tall. I just didn't have the confidence that I could ever get to 150.I have lowered my goal several times since that wake up call.

WardHog
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
There were four young deer running amok in our neighborhood when I was walking the dog yesterday. They seemed to be following us, and at first, the dog was kind of freaking out. After a while, she wanted to play with them, but they just wouldn't cooperate.

So I was a mean old bear when I got up this morning, and this is something that seems to be happening a lot more frequently lately (not just in the morning). Is this what menopause will be like? And will we survive?

ICUwishing
01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
bargoo, I don't have any way to understand what it must feel like to come down from the morbid obese levels. I remain in total awe of you, and others who have done it. I think it makes perfect sense to tailor goal weights to whatever you can wrap your head around at that point in time, and what level of work you're willing to do. It feels so good to be smaller and healthy and mobile, but I don't know if anyone could anticipate HOW good until they are closer to getting there.

bargoo
01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
bargoo, I don't have any way to understand what it must feel like to come down from the morbid obese levels. I remain in total awe of you, and others who have done it. I think it makes perfect sense to tailor goal weights to whatever you can wrap your head around at that point in time, and what level of work you're willing to do. It feels so good to be smaller and healthy and mobile, but I don't know if anyone could anticipate HOW good until they are closer to getting there.

Amen !
It takes what it takes is the most simple way to put it.

Sheila53
01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
So I was a mean old bear when I got up this morning, and this is something that seems to be happening a lot more frequently lately (not just in the morning). Is this what menopause will be like? And will we survive?

My sister said she had to learn to be quiet for a year or so because she was so cranky and couldn't afford to offend anyone at work. I didn't notice crankiness (maybe my DH did, though!), but I vividly recall my first hot flash. I was folding newsletters at church with some older women (70s and 80s) and got so hot I started taking off layers until I got to my T-shirt. Since I couldn't take that off, I stood outside in the middle of winter fanning myself just to get some relief. Thankfully I only had a few of those. The women got a real kick out of watching me because they knew exactly what was happening.

traveling michele
01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
That 150 number means something to me, when I was over 200 pounds and started a diet I set my goal at 150, someone said,"well, you'll still be obese".
150 pounds is not a healthy weight for someone just 5' tall. I just didn't have the confidence that I could ever get to 150.I have lowered my goal several times since that wake up call.

My original goal was also 150 as that was the highest end of the WW range that I could be. I also adjusted down several times once I realized I could actually go lower. Now I need to take off the weight I gained before I go back up there again!:devil:

saef
01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Count me as another one who saw 150 as a magical or important weight. I forget how many years I lied & insisted that was what I weighed, without ever getting on the scale, which would have disabused me of that notion. And what a shock when I finally did get on a scale & saw I was more like 45 pounds over that. And then over 100 pounds over that.

Now, 150 is a scary place for me. That is a serious red-line, which I hit this past winter while living at my mother's.

Sheila and Ward, yes, I've had what I'm pretty sure are hot flashes. They feel different from when I break out in a sweat while over-exerting. They seem to start in the center of my chest and flush upward over my face, almost like a blush. They also seem completely unpredictable. I can go for several days without having one, and then it comes on & I can't figure out why. Also I think I have lost a little bit of my general ability to regulate my body temperature. I don't think I'm any crankier than usual, but, hey, I live in the land of Type A personalities, who are not famed for their graciousness, so maybe I'm getting away with stuff I'd be called on if I were residing elsewhere.

I'm head-achey today but just got an email that pleased me. My manager is, for the second year in a row, giving me an "X" rating for Excellent. My dept grades on a bell-curve and managers are only allowed to hand out a few of these grades, I forget how many. I'll have my year-end review this Thursday. In a couple months, I'll find out what this means in financial compensation. Isn't it cute of them not to give us raises till March or April every year? Saves them some money in the first fiscal quarter.

traveling michele
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Woohoo Saef!!! That's awesome!
Yes, my dh gets his raises in April.
Me? I don't get raises..... sigh....

paperclippy
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Saef, my company also gives raises in March or April. Go figure.

150 was my goal the first time I lost weight (the time I gained it all back and then some). I picked it because it was a nice, round number. The second (and last) time I lost weight I picked 130 because it was in the middle of the healthy BMI range. It's kind of a scary and magic number to me too, more scary at the moment because I've just reached it again on my way up for pregnancy.

CherryPie99
01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Isn't that funny about many of us having that same "magical" number? I picked 150 because it seemed nice and round as well and also because I knew it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to get anywhere near there, so why not just pick a random number!

Steph7409
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm another one who first picked 150 as my goal, because I thought that was realistic. (I don't recall being particularly excited when I got there, but that may be because it was during my crazy time at work and I was too tired to care.) A salute to 150, as it seems to have been meaningful to a lot of us.

As for hot flashes. I believe they are from the chest up for most women. I'm pretty sure I'm post-m and am astounded I never had any. I've always had trouble at night, waking up at least once bathed in sweat, but that hasn't happened any more frequently than it did when I was 20. And I've always been a bit crabby.

Has anyone here seen the new commercial for the weight loss program starting with M and ending in fast, with the two women talking about how great it is to be the thin people they were meant to be? It irritates me for some reason.

Mudpie
01-08-2013, 06:41 AM
My DH is talking about weight loss surgery - "Slimband" was the one he mentioned. I don't think he qualifies and I know we can't afford it at a private clinic. I'm getting increasingly sad and frustrated watching him kill himself with food. He keeps looking for an "easy" fix and I keep telling him there isn't one.

Now he's hiding the excess foodstuffs (and alcohol) from me. I found ice cream buried in the freezer last night (I was looking for some shrimp which I thought might be in there) and I got mad and just poured hot water into it. After I had gone to bed he came and asked me if I had "stolen" his ice cream. I said yes and that was all the discussion we had.

I know you will all say that he has to make the decision to lose weight. I know this but I'm just venting because it's causing me a lot of stress and pain to see him like this.

Dagmar :tired: :(

bargoo
01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
saef, congratulations on your X rating I hope this will mean a monetary advantage.I lived most of my life in Silicon Valley, long before it was Silicon Valley and while not "techie" myself I have worked in Credit Unions where the members were all in the Computer industry.I was a Loan Officer at American Electronics Association Credit Union, I have seen many loan applications and financial reports for these young engineers. Many of these people , at a young age, are earning salaries that many of us just dream about. I was an assitant manager at another Credit Union that was on-site, also electronics based. At that Credit Union I was surrounded by "geeks" all day.An interesting experience.

Megan1982
01-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I think I set my original goal at 140 when I started my weight loss as a teenager. That actually seemed high at the time, but I couldn't imagine going any lower (at that age, at 5'5" you are "supposed" to be at 125 lbs but that seemed totally unattainable). I was pretty darn skinny wearing 4-6's with hip bones visible at 140 so that's where I stopped. Now that I've partially regained, 150 has taken on that mysticism for me, since I've been slightly above it for several years. If only I could get below 150 again... it's a big number, not quite as big as 200 (I don't mean literally big, weight-wise but rather big as in significant). Under 150 means you're closer to 100 lbs ("desirable") versus closer to 200 lbs ("undesirable").

Dagmar, hang in there. I can relate - it's tough seeing someone you love make unhealthy choices for themselves. :hug:

Saef, congrats on your excellent review! Hope you get a raise!

Michele, I don't get raises either. It stinks. Maybe in a few years we'll get raises. :?:

Steph, I have seen that commercial and it does bother me. Then again, most weight loss commercials bother me. I'm sensitive to the subject. :o

ChrisMohr
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Day three was also processed-sugar-free. I did eat too much hummus late at night but my main focus now is getting over the sugar withdrawal phase. Today is the final "Day Four" of that process. Then I have six pounds to lose to get back into my ideal range. Onward!

alinnell
01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
For most of my adult life, I've hung around 165, but was terribly unhappy there. When I inched up to, what? 173, I started this change. Since then I've gotten down to 138 (once years ago was 128 but way too skinny). I liked 138. I kept it for a year or so and then slowly inched up to 150 where I have a tummy pooch which I don't like. 140-145 seems the best for me. Now to get there again! Scale was lower this morning, still not quite to pre-holiday weight.

ICUwishing
01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
150 to me means that huge "clunk" on the doctor's scale as they slide the BIG weight over. I'm not sure why, but I seriously want to avoid that sound. And I overheard a conversation when I was younger about weighing "a buck fifty" and how that was too much for any woman under six feet tall.

ward, I go thru phases of really short fuse. Finding I can't blame hormones - mine are generally related to how much headway I'm making in taking back ownership of my life.

saef, congrats on the great review! The category is called "role model" here, and they are truly rare. It does translate to larger bonuses, but never raises. I don't think my industry does anything beyond maybe a weak attempt to keep up with inflation - a "raise" is unheard of.

dagmar, you vent and are frustrated because you care. I had a few of those same behaviors before I "gave up" and did what was necessary to get my weight off in 2009. I suspect he's just going to hide them better, but that should have given him a big flag that something has to change.

Chris, hummus is sooo good! Way to go on keeping to your plan!

I'm back in the mindset I had before the Christmas battles - just chugging along and happy that the good choices are coming a bit easier.

BillBlueEyes
01-08-2013, 12:03 PM
When Bill attains patience and I attain total food equanimity the angels will rejoice.

So excited at that thought. I suspect that you have more angels nearby with your spectacular views of the Rockies.

I charge forth. Happy that we're not covered in snow and that my physical therapist directed me to remove the ankle support for most of the day now. It's like being a little kid where things keep getting better every day. I miss that.

I'm attending a retirement party for a friend today - that's a major opportunity to overeat bar type food. No one puts out carrots and humus on such occasions. Chicken wings are considered proper food to signal the end of working days, LOL. And a mediocre flat cake with butter cream icing.

Shannon in ATL
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I had another good day yesterday food and exercise wise. Got up this morning and got on the elliptical before work. I'm now at four days in a row of exercise, and the last three days I've kept food at manageable levels. Yesterday was even at a loss level rather than maintenance. Getting back on track and making the good choices. DH and I have a movie date night so I'll likely have popcorn for dinner, that isn't the best choice. LOL

Bill - Ah, retirement party food. Who needs carrot sticks and hummus when they could have hot wings!

Saef - Congrats on the review! Hope it results in a raise. Sadly, I doubt my company will give raises this year - the industry is all a flutter on how we will survive the ACA without going bankrupt, so raises in the restaurant biz are going to be thin on the ground right now.

Becky - I hate that clunking sound on 150 on the scale. That is good motivation to behave right there.

Chris - great job with the sugar! Keep on keeping on.

Megan - How are you and Emma after her wild ride this weekend?

Steph - yes, that commercial annoys me, too. Don't know why.

Dagmar - I'm sorry about the trials with DH. You can't make him change if he doesn't want to do it... I suspect that he will just start hiding things in more creative places. Addicts do that. :( I used to find liquor bottles and beer in all kinds or weird places in the house when I was married to my first husband. You just take care of yourself. :hug:

:wave: good day everyone!

Megan1982
01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
150 to me means that huge "clunk" on the doctor's scale as they slide the BIG weight over. I'm not sure why, but I seriously want to avoid that sound. And I overheard a conversation when I was younger about weighing "a buck fifty" and how that was too much for any woman under six feet tall.

Oh yes, that too. And for so much of my life, my weight's been over 150. But they always start on the <150 side of the weight, and move that one weight up and up... I've always thought, come one, let's just start on the other side. Let's not play this game.

Great job getting back on track Shannon! Keep it up! :carrot: Emma has been good, but I also haven't let her off the leash or taken her to the beach much bc the tides have been high this week. (Low tides make for a nice, compact beach to walk on, high tides leave only the really soft sand that's hard to walk in.) I'll take her to the beach this weekend, and I'll bring treats with me. They don't always bring her back when she's on a tear, but sometimes they help.

Bill, good news re: removing the ankle brace for most of the day. You're making progress! Patience is a virtue.

Chris, good job staying away from the sugar.

My job is usually extremely busy in the summer, moderately busy spring and fall, and this time of year, I have a lot less going on. It means more time sitting at my desk "catching up". It's really hard for me! Combining that with the winter weather makes it even worse. This week is dragging along. In this kind of environment, it's the boredom eating and the sleepy feeling at the end of the day that might keep me from working out that are my main threats to staying OP. I stayed on track yesterday, and plan to today.

BillBlueEyes
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
<sigh> . . . My friend's retirement party consisted of hot wings, nachos, pizza, and a factory made flat cake. I stopped before the flat cake, but ate all the others as we all chatted for two hours. Wouldn't have been so bad if the hot wings hadn't required coolant - which was white muck, oh so yummy, that wasn't low calorie itself. Fortunately, such events don't happen often.

Some 'stuff' to get done today that I've been putting off. Procrastination rarely makes a task easier, yet I seem to try that route time and again.

ChrisMohr
01-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone for your support. The hardest part of maintenance is always getting back on track when you get derailed. That's when a lot of willpower is called for to overcome physical/psychological addictions I guess. Now I feel ready to face the month and slowly lose those last six pounds. Plus today I get to treat myself to 100 calories of organic dark chocolate with tiny bits of dried raspberries in them. No chewing, I just let it dissolve in my mouth. That's a lot of food pleasure with no hangover! Anyway, if I stay on track, it's going to be easier now that the sugar withdrawal phase is over.

alinnell
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Funny how I don't feel it difficult to get back on track with eating after the derailment, instead I have a hard time with the exercise thing. Still not where I ought to be.

I set up my yearly doctor's appointment for the 3rd week of February. I'd sure like to NOT hear that extra clunk on his scale!!!!!

bargoo
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I may have done a bad thing. I am not supposed to eat grapefrut or grapefruit juice due to certain medications that I take. My neighbor gave me a gorgeous pomelo, I don't know if pomelos have the same caveat as grapefuit.If they do it is too late, I had it for breakfast and it was delicious.

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Bargoo, what are the side effects with the medication? Will you know quickly? Here's hoping it doesn't turn bad. :(

krampus
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I love pomelos! I hope it has no ill effect on your physical wellbeing.

Spur of the moment trip to Key West booked for February 8-11. Found a great deal on JetBlue. BF and I will be tent camping at a crowded cheapy KOA campground.

Does anyone have any secrets re: parking at LaGuardia or do I just need to cough up $20+/day? Our flights depart and arrive early morning and late night, respectively.

paperclippy
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Krampus, I have never parked at LaGuardia, I've always either taken the bus or a taxi to get there. If you're coming from out of the city you may want to look for a park & ride out of town or something.

Bargoo, hopefully you won't have any adverse effects. I googled a little about grapefruit juice and drugs and while it depends which drug you're taking, it sounded like it was more of a problem to have grapefruit regularly than to have it once in a blue moon.

Well, between DH being sick for the past three weeks and half of my office being sick, I've come down with something. :( It's pretty much just a sore throat and a cough (so far) so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I'm on my fourth cup of hot tea with honey in it, working from home. I have meetings at work tomorrow and Friday though, so I may not get to relax at home much. DH thinks I must have caught it at the office because his cold hasn't involved a sore throat at all. I figure I must have caught it at the office because DH has been sick for so long that if I was going to get his cold I would have gotten it a couple weeks ago. :shrug:

Sheila53
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I always give a sigh of relief and feel really good about getting back on track after derailment. Weird because I'm the one doing it to myself so I could just not derail in the first place. But we all know how that goes! You'd think the fact that I feel better, act better, and look better would make it easier to stay "on track," but that siren call of food is just so powerful. At least now I stop (at some point) whereas 100 lbs. ago, I'd just keep on going. So I do feel good about that.

Krampus, have fun on your trip! I love hearing about spontaneous adventures.

Megan1982
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Krampus, my parents have started to fly out of Newark in the last two years. They say that a lot of people will either drive to an airport hotel and spent the night, then take the shuttle to the airport in the AM and leave their car at the hotel, or even pay the hotel to park there (with no stay) and take the airport shuttle in. It's apparently much cheaper than airport parking. Perhaps LaGuardia hotels offer something similar? Enjoy Key West! You should eat brunch at Blue Heaven.

Sheila, I've experienced that sigh of relief many times. I think it's relief that the insanity that gripped me in the first place (cookies! happy hours! holiday parties! ahhhhahaha! etc) is only temporary insanity.

Jessica, sorry you are sick and are busy at work. Why does one always get sick when one has lots of meetings?

Ishbel
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey Hey Everyone,

I've been lurking in here off and on for the last almost 9 months. Do you mind if I join you??

I followed the Ideal Protein (which I realize isn't for everyone so I find myself scared of being judged for that) diet and seem to be maintaining (so far so good right?)

...I also enjoy the Beck Diet Solution and actually have followed CherryPie99 on your blog (without putting two and two together until today) - someone had sent me your blog (thanks for all the work you do blogging). It was that connection that gave me the 'umph' to post here today.

alinnell
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Welcome Ishbel! While I don't do the IP diet, I've done one high protein diet (Medifast). I wasn't impressed with the food, though. (Well, we do like their bars.)

Krampus~we're going to be in Key West, but on the 18th or 19th of January. We've signed up to do a pub crawl for our "adventure." Have fun! And good luck parking. When DD flew out of LAX last month, she got a parking reservation for an off-site parking lot, but when she got there, it was full and they told her to go somewhere else. I guess the storms in the midwest had cancelled a lot of flights and so people were stranded and hadn't come back to retrieve their cars.

bargoo
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Ishbel, Welcome. So glad to have you. I don't believe anyone here will judge anybody for the diet they have chosen.
Congratulations on a great loss !

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
Hello, Ishbel! Welcome! No judging on any type of diet that works for you from me. You've done a fantastic job, wow! Your pic is just gorgeous.

CherryPie99
01-09-2013, 05:39 PM
...I also enjoy the Beck Diet Solution and actually have followed CherryPie99 on your blog (without putting two and two together until today) - someone had sent me your blog (thanks for all the work you do blogging). It was that connection that gave me the 'umph' to post here today.

Hi Ishbel and welcome!!!

I don't think we are a particularly judgmental lot here, only when someone seems to be going something totally outrageous, and clearly the Ideal Protein diet has worked for you!

I'm so glad that you decided to chime in - this board in particular is invaluable to me, and hope you'll be a regular poster. Any role that I played in you deciding to post I'm happy about and I'm glad that you enjoy my ramblings on my blog!

Jen

bargoo
01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Bargoo, what are the side effects with the medication? Will you know quickly? Here's hoping it doesn't turn bad. :(
The possible effects are quite scary and many, many prescribed drugs fall in this category., including chloesterol lowering drugs, blood pressure meds and cancer meds all of which I take.It includes not only, grapefruit but pomelos, Seville oranges and possibly limes. I don't think I will be trying anymore pomelos. I should have googled, first.

Mudpie
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
My workplace today

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
01-09-2013, 08:41 PM
The possible effects are quite scary and many, many prescribed drugs fall in this category., including chloesterol lowering drugs, blood pressure meds and cancer meds all of which I take.It includes not only, grapefruit but pomelos, Seville oranges and possibly limes. I don't think I will be trying anymore pomelos. I should have googled, first.

If I'm not mistaken, you can take your meds and then a few hours later it is safe to eat the grapefruit or pomelo.

And on that note, how do YOU pronounce pomelo? We had a very long discussion on this subject at Thanksgiving several years ago. Is the stress on the POMelo or on pomELo?

alinnell
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
My workplace today

That's beautiful! Which lake?

Sheila53
01-09-2013, 09:44 PM
My workplace today

Wow! Beautiful! And look at all that sun. We're having an inversion (although not as bad as Salt Lake's inversions) so we haven't seen the sun in days.

Medication timing is so tricky, IMHO. I discovered after my last DEXA scan that I wasn't waiting long enough after taking the thyroid medication before taking calcium. I thought waiting two hours was enough, but was told that I need to wait four hours or the efficacy of the calcium is compromised. I imagine all that stuff is in the ream of paper that comes with medications, but I'm always scared to read that stuff because reading about side effects, however rare, makes me fearful. Yup, I'm an ostrich with my head in the sand. . .

Steph7409
01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Oh how I wish I were somewhere warm and sunny, by the water. I haven't been to the beach in too long.

Ishbel, the IP people should use you in an advertising campaign. You've had great results and your pic is gorgeous!

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Dagmar, the pic looks beautiful!

Allison - I got a package from you today! Thanks! Sadly, I'm sick and can't eat one until my throat settles.

Speaking of that, I think I have strep. I have a 101 fever, dh and I can see white spots in the back of my throat and it hurts like heck, my body aches and I'm nauseated. Guess I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. I I have Shatner tickets for Sunday. I will not miss it.

ChrisMohr
01-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Hi Ishbel, we're all Bozos on this bus so I don't see a lot of judgment, just people trying to be supportive of each other, so allow me to welccome you as I have been welcomed!

Mudpie
01-10-2013, 06:27 AM
That's beautiful! Which lake?

Lake Ontario.

D. :brr:

Mudpie
01-10-2013, 06:51 AM
There was talk of work/life balance in one of the previous chat threads (I think) last week.

I am very sad this week. I will have to give up walking a lovely senior lab after this Sunday. He has moved to a condo ( a beautiful spacious condo with a balcony with a park/lake view) and his owner has completely lost it. She is a substance abuser and has been erratic all along but now she has been on a bender since around Christmas time.

She didn't bother telling me she had moved - the alternate dogwalker did that. I have seen the dog's owner once since Christmas. I asked her for keys to her door and the downstairs security door and parking and she just looked at me and walked away. She doesn't answer her phone or my emails or my notes left in her apartment.

The dog is being fed - I've seen bowls of kibble, water and bones left out for him and I've been giving him treats on the walk. He is going out on the balcony to do his business.

I have no keys to the lower door or parking and these two things make my day about 30 minutes longer. I have 4 other dogs in the car who have to wait while I find parking and then have to wait while I negotiate with the concierge to let me in (he has butted heads with my client and I'm immediately guilty by association, despite being polite to everyone I've seen). Then we do that in reverse when I bring the dog back. One of the other dogs has peed in my car twice due to the anxiety of being left and one other cries loudly all the time I'm gone.

I love the old guy who is now in the condo but his owner is making my and his pack mates' lives hard. The alternate dogwalker really likes this dog and has looked after him on the weekends during the summer (yes we walk him every weekend) and has boarded him. And she has another client in the building so she has access to things.

I'm going to give the dog over to her. She is willing and I think it will be the best for everyone concerned. If she thinks the owner has totally gone over the edge she can take the dog to her house and keep him with her until things get sorted out.

I feel very sad but this owner has caused me much stress over the 6 years I've worked for her. And she has no respect for me or anyone else and treats us accordingly. Much as I love her dog I'm finding this final lack of respect (not telling me she moved and not providing keys) has just driven me to the wall.

And I'm reacting by binge eating, drinking alcohol, crying, and not sleeping well.

The only way I can change the situation is by leaving. So I will.

The dog will be looked after by someone he knows and likes. I will miss him tremendously but I need to get myself back together for all the other dogs I'm walking.

I'm done - thanks for letting me vent.

Dagmar :(

BillBlueEyes
01-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Cyber hugs to Dagmar for losing a friend.

It's a tough blow that you can't help your old guy without the hassle of his irresponsible owner.

bargoo
01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
dagmar, so sorry about this situation the owner has put you in. It sounds like she has dismissed you but can't seem to tell you face to face. You have done the best you can for this dog and he will be in good hands.

Megan1982
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Dagmar, this sounds like a tough situation. It's hard to lose a friend in this dog, but with the owner acting the way she is you are doing the right thing to look after your business and your other dogs that go on that walk. I'm glad you were able to find another dog walker that you know will watch out for this dog. :hug:

Speaking of irresponsible dog owners, I found out recently that my dog's first owners got another puppy. Shouldn't there be a rule? If you can't take care of one dog, you can't get another one. They didn't abuse my Emma, but she was an energetic puppy (I'm sure you couldn't guess that :dizzy:) and they gave her away bc teenage son didn't take her out enough. I hope they take better care of this dog than they did my Emma.

Welcome Ishbel! Barring any unhealthy behaviors/plans we're pretty accepting around here. Whatever works, works, and different things work for us all. Great pic! I love off-the-shoulder and one-shoulder tops.

Bargoo, I hope there are no ill effects. I was shocked when I found out that grapefruit can reduce the efficacy of BC pills from 99% to 94%. That's a big 5%! I don't eat grapefruit much. Makes me sad bc I love it.

Is it the weekend yet?

alinnell
01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Shannon~I'm glad the box arrived and I hope you get over your illness soon.

I'm terrified of coming down with the flu before or during my upcoming trip! Yesterday I went to Target and loaded up on Airborn and another similar thing called Halo. I got throat lozenges and cold medicine to bring along just in case. I got hand sanitizer, too. The flu isn't horrible here in California, but it is in Florida where we'll be for a day and everyone knows how germy airplanes are!

traveling michele
01-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Welcome Ishbel! Glad you are here!

Dagmar-- what a sad situation. I'm glad the alternate dog walker is willing to take the dog on so it will at least get walked.

I'm very grumbly at the scale. I was 126 on Tuesday, 127 yesterday, and 128 today. Really?! This with Bikram each day, eating on plan, etc. I weigh on Saturday and I'm dreading it but I guess I still need to do it. I'm quite sore and puffy so I still think it's a lot of fluid retention but I'm not sure why or what to do about it-- you would think 90 minutes of sweating a day would get it out!!

Ishbel
01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome...I don't expect to many judgements here but I guess I just a little timid. :)

I've had to defend my eating habits for too long (which hasn't been THAT long), which I'm sure as a maintainer you all completely understand. I'm learning that as lonely as I sometimes feel...I know I'm not really all that lonely I just have to pay attention to who's making good choices like me (look at all of you!). :D

dagmar sorry about that senior puppy :/

Chris I can dig bozos and have been called one in the past :)

Cherry Definately appreciate your blog :)

Shannon in ATL
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, I definitely have strep. Dr confirmed it. DH is working from home today to take care of me. Drove me to the doctor, as I wasn't very steady on my feet this morning. I've been running a fever now since last night, didn't sleep well last night. Most of the night was spent bouncing between hot and sweaty and cold chills. I was covered in sweat when I woke up to get dressed for the doc. Going to be a fun few days.

Sheila53
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Strep throat is the worst! Hope the drugs kick in fast, and you feel better soon, Shannon.

Megan, volunteering at a shelter weekly for the past 20 years has made me realize just how clueless pet owners really are. I'm sure Dagmar can confirm this. With that said, I, too, hope that the new puppy doesn't end up searching for a new home.

Regarding daily weighing, one of the reasons I don't do it is that I know when I lift weights the next day the scale will go up by a few pounds. For some reason, even though I know it's related to the weight lifting, I get discouraged, which sets me up to say to myself, oh, what the ****, just go out and get a full-fat frappacino. I do try to weigh weekly, though, but only after an exercise rest day.

[Edited to say: Oh, cool! In the 10 years I've been on this board, I've never said anything that would make the **** kick in. It's strange that the other word for Hades gets "bleeped," considering what you hear on TV these days.]

traveling michele
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Too funny Sheila! I've been censored once or twice but always for weird words. You've been on the board for 10 years? That is an accomplishment!

Shannon-- my experience with strep (usually) is that the antibiotics kick in and you feel better quickly-- I hope that's the case for you.

I think that one of my goals this year is to become more outgoing and social. I've said this before and tried somewhat, so I was contemplating what I can do. Since the girls are out of the house and dh travels so much, I'd love more friends. I have work friends but we don't get together socially. My plan is to try to be friendlier/outgoing at bikram yoga (since I see the same people so often)-- strike up conversations, etc.-- and see if anything comes of it. I'll check back in later in the year and see if my experiment produces anything....

saef
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Ishbel, my workload is infringing on my play-time on my laptop, which means I'm offering a warm but belated welcome to you. And no, I'm only gonna come after you if I think you've gone off the deep end & your mental or physical health is threatened.

Dagmar, there's our respective tradeoffs again: You get to walk on the picturesque shores of Lake Ontario when I'm hunched over a screen all day. But you are a caretaker, and your living is relationship-based. There is love here: your love for your dogs, your love for your job. So your business decisions are always gonna be fraught & intensely personal. I think that, since the dog does seem to be looked-after by another caregiver (though I hate the idea of a dog being put out on balcony to pee -- hope it's a separate unit, as I wouldn't want to live downstairs from the substance abuser), you can consider this purely as a business decision. You have to run the business well or your own well-being is in jeopardy.

Shannon, it's a shame that the price of a take-it-easy day is being deathly sick through it. My recent hot flashes have renewed my sympathy for fever-and-chills sufferers. Get well soon. Soup could play an important part in your recovery, no?

Sheila, finally, I'm harking back to your post on meeting sometime for a long walk or hike. I'm pretty sure the park you visited with the lake and the carriage paths is the Rockefeller Preserve. The Rockefeller family had a mansion on the grounds which later burned down. They built an extensive network of carriage paths for driving their gorgeous sets of horses. Within the past 20 years or so, the Rockefeller brothers gave it to NY State parks system. (I have seen David Rockefeller walking there once or twice & always wished I could say thank you, but you don't want to disturb people, you know?) This place is much-frequented by runners. In fact, the Kenyans train there. So you'll be schlepping along at your usual pace, sweating your way up a hill and some large greyhound of a man will WHOOSH past you. And you think: "Ah, so that's what an Olympic-calibur runner looks like. I feel privileged to have some of the pebbles he displaced roll up against the soles of my sneakers." Yeah, so we should totally meet up there sometime for a walk-and-talk. I have to see how many trees Sandy took down. Haven't been up there since this past summer, when I made my "I'm Back Downstate" pilgrimage. But it's one of my favorite places in all the world.

Michele, it's so hard for me to think of you not being outgoing or social enough, because you give so much light and warmth and attention to this board. But I wish you well, as I am struggling with the same thing. I have turned down two invitations to go out & pick up lunch someplace. Not for fear of food choices -- they both involved the Fairway salad bar, which would be an easy place to eat -- but from working through lunch hour. I have to stop this.

bargoo
01-10-2013, 07:10 PM
saef, michele, can we organize a peer group of 3 who just aren't socially up to par? You would think since I "talk" so ,much that I would be at ease in a group, not so. I enjoy people but am not comfortable initiating a conversation. I recently joined a book club for the same reasons you mentioned, Michele. Nice group of ladies and I have no trouble talking about the book we have just read but when the meeting is over and the rest have formed little conversation groups I just can't walk over and join in. I am usually the first one out the door after the meeting for that reason. I am really a social klutz.

alinnell
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Perhaps I'm socially awkward as well. While there are some people that I meet that I have an easy time talking to, there are others that I can't. I don't know if it is due to them being more outgoing or if we have so much in common that it's easy to swap stories.

My joining Wine Women Palm Springs should be an easy way to meet others, but until I've met more of the members, it isn't easy to do. I met the woman who organizes most of the monthly dinners. I've met the representatives from the charity being awarded that night. Those are easy--it's kind of their "duty" to mingle with everyone. But a lot of the others have been around so long and they don't necessarily embrace the newbies like me. Thankfully I had a friend at the first dinner and I'm bringing people with me to the next one at the end of January. I hope I remember some of those that I sat with last time!

Mudpie
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM
ARRRRGH!!! My client took me downstairs today and introduced me to the building manager, got me an entry fob and a remote for the garage (she has a parking spot), and was in the act of tracking down more upstairs door keys when I left with the dog.

She is so different when sober. ARRRRGH! I kept looking down into the dog's face (he's going blind so his brown eyes are huge and sad and melting now) and thinking OK I can do this. For him I can do this.

DH is gonna KILL me. But I love all the dogs I walk and this guy won't be with me for that much longer. How could I say no the those eyes?

Dagmar :kickbutt: (that's me kicking myself)

bargoo
01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
dagmas, You are doing the right thing. If this lady drinks as much as you say she probably doesn't know what she is doing half the time or at least doesn't remember what sha was doing.

CherryPie99
01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I I have Shatner tickets for Sunday. I will not miss it.

Wait, wait, wait! Tell me more!!

Steph7409
01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
dagmar, I have a friend who works in dog rescue and I always tell her she's doing god's work (even though we're both atheists). You're trying to do what's best for this old dog, so big props to you. Too many pets deserve much better owners than they have.

saef, 'twas I who mentioned the park with the lake. I just used the google and think it's Minnewaska State Park, which is near Ellenville - much farther north than I thought (my friend said lots of NYC folks go there, so I thought it was closer). But the Rockefeller Preserve sounds lovely. I was just thinking I'd love to see Kykuit again - what a view! Those Rockefellers knew how to live.

Shannon, I hope the drugs kill that strep quickly. Fever is the worst.

All this talk of being more social has reminded me that I signed up to meet a bunch of strangers for dinner at Panera next Monday. I joined a meetup group for women over 40 and this will be my first event with them. I think of myself as a sociable introvert - I enjoy chatting with people, once I convince myself to leave the house. I figure I'll get a good Caesar salad out of it, if nothing else.

Mudpie
01-11-2013, 06:47 AM
I too am socially awkward, unless I'm at the dog park. I guess it comes from not having kids, or a house, or hobbies - you know, those things people generally talk about.. :lol:

Megan1982
01-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Count me in the socially awkward group. If I am thrown into a situation unexpectedly, I get tongue tied and can't seem to come up with anything to say/ask the other person. Planned occasions are slightly better, as I purposefully think about who I might be seeing at a party/meeting/etc and try to come up with conversational pieces ahead of time (yes, I'm that awkward). With close friends it comes easily but with casual acquaintances I don't know as well it's harder. I've never been good at the small talk thing. I'm terrible at shmoozing in professional situations. :tied:

Shannon, ick. Glad you now have antibiotics in your hands and can start fighting this, and DH is helping out as well. Hope you feel better soon.

Dagmar, at least you now have proper access to the dog no matter the owner's state. Will parking still be a problem? I wonder if there's some loading zone you could park in for 5 min. at a time.

Ishbel
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to know that someone on here would come after me if I was not making good healthy plans. :)

Shannon: hope the antibodics are kicking in! Went to William Shatner about a year ago and had nose bleed seats. They asked if we wanted to upgrade and VIP (Very Important Person/Fiance) pulled out his wallet and they said "no for free" and we were four rows dead centre in the middle. $112 for the two of us, was a good night :)

I can sometimes smooze, most of the time the VIP is better at it. Me I hang out with the people I know (which isn't smoozing lol).

However my ongoing resolution is just to be kinder to myself. This will be the third year I work on it and so far so good. I decided a few years ago that saying "I'm going to lose weight" didn't work for me. So I decided to scrap that and just be kinder. When I catch myself beating up on me...I can't really give myself crap, I just stop and re-frame.

I have added a wish to begin running again this year, I was up to 10 km on a run but ended up with bursitis in both hips (I couldn't climb stairs). I thought it was a muscle problem, but alas now I'm reading a book "running injury free" while I wait to heal.

Do any of you track or weigh daily? I weigh in daily and track and I seem to be in that habit so far (I use "my net diary"). I'm almost scared to stop in case I don't hold myself accountable.

bargoo
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
I weigh daily and keep a food diary. I post the weight on my calendar and can see at a glance if a trend is happening. To me, successful dieting and maintaining means planning ahead, it took me years to figure this out.

traveling michele
01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Steph-- I'd love to know how your meetup group goes! I'm 45 so can I join?

Socially awkward.... yes-- that describes me. Painfully shy as a child, and now I just don't know how to fill in the awkward gaps in a conversation. Plus I think I come across as serious or something-- I am often focused and driven-- so I might not always put out friendly vibes.

I made an effort to chat with a "friend" at the gym last night. It was nice and didn't feel too forced.

Dagmar-- hugs. The old dog deserves some love in his old age.

traveling michele
01-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Steph-- you inspired me to checkout meetup in my area. I already belong to a dachshund meetup group but I went to checkout other groups in my area.

I sent off a request to join a group of "Bunco Babes"-- looked like a fun group and I've played bunco in the past and loved it. Hopefully they'll let me join!

WardHog
01-11-2013, 11:36 AM
I am pretty shy and socially awkward, too, but I think I am getting better at hiding it as I get older. Mostly I don't care so much anymore about embarrassing myself so it's easier to just be me. Case in point: I went to my first ever mat pilates class today. Years ago I never would have tried it for fear of looking stupid. Yes, there were things I could not do, but I thought it was fun and a new challenge, so I will make it part of the rotation.

Michele, I have gone to the same gym for more than six years now and I have a few buddies that are usually there. It's a great place to look for new friendships because people you meet at the gym are usually health conscious and "get it" better than someone you might meet elsewhere. It's great to have the support - one or another will usually text me in the am; just a simple, "You going to class?" and that might be the thing that makes me get up and go, when I might not otherwise. In fact, I thought about leaving my gym and joining the local Y a couple of years ago because they have more programs for the kids, but I didn't because I didn't want to leave my gym friends.

Enjah
01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
I reached my goal weight just before Christmas, and because we were unable to travel, I kept the weight off!!! Now for the really long haul, maintenance!

bargoo
01-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Welcome and congratulations ! Great job ! Come back and let us get acquainted. We are all in the same boat here, trying to maintain.

Steph7409
01-11-2013, 08:14 PM
michele, I had to Google Bunco. Sounds like fun! I hope the meetup group works out for you. There are quite a few in my area - book groups, hiking groups, a volunteer group (I did some painting for Habitat and am working at the food bank next month). I'm looking forward to the dinner Monday night, it seems like quite a few gals are coming. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that most of my socializing used to be with my co-workers so it's been a bit lonely these past couple of months since I got the boot. At my new job, it's all young women in their 20s and 30s - nice girls, but not exactly peers.

I'm off to watch The Hunger Games on DVD, because I'm just about a year behind with all the pop culture stuff.

alinnell
01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Welcome Enjah!!! Love getting new blood here!

Bunco. I know I've played it three or four times--usually with my cousins at Thanksgiving. I have to have the rules explained every time!

It's next to impossible to socialize with my co-workers. While we did invite my secretary out for a show recently (Straight No Chaser) and she had a wonderful time, it's a bit far for us to do things outside of work. And everyone else are either even farther away or too young to want to hang out with us--especially since we're the bosses! Mostly we do things with my in-laws and their friends. It's strange but my FIL and DH have been mistaken for brothers. FIL hasn't started to go gray yet, but DH has. And they're only 19 years apart. A lot different than me and my parents at 40 years difference!

So I'm looking forward to meeting more new people at Wine Women. I hope I do anyway.

Shannon in ATL
01-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Jen, I never answered the Shatner tickets question. We got tickets to 'Shatner's World: We Just Live In It' for Sunday night. Bought them in September, I'm not planning on missing it. We didn't get VIP seats with the meet and greet because ticket master didn't list them, something I was mad about until today when I realized that if I do go Sunday I could have exposed Shat to strep...

CherryPie99
01-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Oh, that sounds AWESOME!!! DH would go crazy! Please, please a full report when you get back! Have a great time!

saef
01-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Okay, I just loved "Zero Dark Thirty," which I saw last night in a packed theater. I stood up afterward & said aloud, "And I thought that **I** had a stressful job," which made several people around me laugh.

I would even see this again. Easily done, as it's a male-friendly movie.

I suspect this will be my favorite this year, somewhere between "Beasts of the Southern Wild" and possibly "Amour," which I haven't seen yet but know that it will be lovely, true and bleak. I must be in the right mood to watch that.

I've got a coworker who's a frequent movie-goer and we see all the nominated films for the Academy Awards. It's comical how far our tastes diverge. Things that upset him, I tend to love. Things that I brush off, he adores. At least it keeps the conversation lively at this time of year as he & I both go to the movies twice a week now.

To stay current, on Saturdays in Manhattan, I will sometimes see three in a row, with breaks for coffee & lunch in-between, walking really fast to get from one end of the Village & Soho to the other to make the next show time. Problem is, I start really getting behind my favorites and the Academy nearly always ends up annoying me with its choices. So then I wonder if I ought to forget caring about what wins & what doesn't. It's the arts; it's not like sports, where competitions end in clear winners.

traveling michele
01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the glowing recommendation Saef.
Dd and I went to see Les Miserables Friday night (with her service dog). Neither of us had ever seen the musical and didn't really know the story-- we loved it!

There was quite a line for zero dark thirty too.

I've got the Golden Globes on now while paying bills (and surfing the internet), waiting for my chili to cook in the crock pot, etc.

Steph7409
01-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I used to go to the movies all the time, but just got sick of people talking throughout the film. And almost all the theaters around here are at malls, which I hate. So I watch almost everything on DVD, ages after the original release. I just watched The Magic of Belle Isle and loved it. I needed something warmhearted. I've got Too Big to Fail but I know that will have me yelling at the TV, so not tonight.

The director of Zero Dark Thirty (Katherine Bigelow?) was on Letterman last week and she said the biggest surprise for her about the story was how many women work in the intelligence field.