Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Tell me about a time you successfully stopped yourself from a binge.

So, I live with my husband and his brother. We've all been working together on our health and fitness, and they're both supportive and understanding of my eating needs as a female. No means No when I decline a greasy awful treat, but that doesn't mean they can't have it in the house. Just don't bug me about not eating it too. And they get that.

They're doing a running challenge together, so they're eating more as of late. Including late night snacks.

Last night was nachos.

Tonight was cheesecake.

I was fine with declining the nachos last night, but I really wanted to join them in eating the cheesecake.

I'm not even sure why?! They had been talking about it since Friday, and finally they decided to grab a cheesecake while they were out and about. I blame them for putting the craving into my head (jk).

So I decide to give in. I walk into the kitchen and I look at the piece of cheesecake that the hubby was putting onto his plate. It made me sick to my stomach. How weird is that?! I looked at him and said "Eh, never mind, I guess I'm just not feeling it." He asked if I was denying myself a treat because I was feeling heavy today, and I said no (honestly) and told him that I just don't find the cheesecake appealing now that I look at it. He kissed me on the forehead and said "Cool, more for me and AJ."

That's my story. I successfully said NO to a food I didn't really want because I WASN'T HUNGRY. After two days of the guys building up their cheesecake craving, I'm pretty darn proud of myself. Thanks for listening.

How about the rest of us at 3FC? What's your No Binge success story?
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #2  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

Congrats!

I just put half a bag of family sized Kettle Brand Sea Salt and Vinegar chips in the garbage because they've been taunting me all day, I've eaten half the bag when I meant to eat a serving and they aren't exactly healthy. There's no reason. If I was overeating on hummus and carrots I might let it slide today, but I was feeling that spiral of me losing control over my actions. I have a lovely dinner waiting at home for me, and I'll be there within the hour.

I figure I'd rather throw the food away than eat the whole bag and feel terrible. Besides, no at my house likes vinegar chips so I have no one to hand them off to.

I'm not currently trying to lose, I've just been trying to avoid large, excessive binges where I feel like I've lost all control. I feel like, during this experience, I headed for a loss of control and then stopped it. Yes, I over ate and if this were a calorie counting, weight loss type day I would certainly have passed my calorie limit, but my goal was to avoid a binge and I think I'm on my way to having accomplished that.

Last edited by thewalrus0; 01-06-2013 at 10:12 PM.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I wanted pizza tonight. I can make it healthy. My Dh is supportive, but said he'd buy Pizza Hut.

I opted out, went to the store and bought the stuff for the healthy option!

It was good!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #4  

Good job ladies!

Sometimes it just feels good to throw away chips (or cupcakes as I've done in the past) rather than eat until we're binged out.

I've been there too, with making stuff instead of ordering take out. Better to make the effort going to the store than spending the next few days in the gym trying to burn off those extra calories!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Last night I wanted a snack. It was actually going to be some nuts, but it was after 8 PM, so no nuts. I have a defined time during the day (12PM-8PM) when I can eat. If it's outside of those hours, no eating. During that 8 hour window, I'm so busy with getting good food into me, that I don't think about binging. For some unknown reason, focusing on what time it is instead of what's available to eat has helped immensely. This is new, so I hope it lasts!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #6  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

I used to binge. But now I'm just eating like a nut. 1 pound of fruits for breakfast, 1 of vegs for lunch, and 1 of vegs for dinner - raw and the more varieties the better. Plus some additional things like fish, meat, legumes, fruits for lunch and dinner, and snacking fruits between meals. Finally it always makes over 4 lbs of food a day. No more bingeing anyway.

Last edited by MadProfessor; 01-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

God. There was ben & jerry buy one get one free. I was attracted and then i told myself in my head "Stop! Step AWAY from the ice cream! You do not need one. You do not need two. It is not on your list. Resist once at the store, so you don't have to resist a million times at home. If you really want ice cream later you can always plan it in."

And I pushed my car the heck out of that aisle!

Whew!

Sweets and wheat things like cookies, muffins, toast, etc trigger me. I step away. Makes the cravings stop and then I don't have as hard a time. But it is hard if you are stepping away at the initial place.

It gets easier. Hang in there!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #8  

MadProfessor - Good job for no longer binging! How long have you been binge free?

astrophe - I have an ice cream weakness too! Good job passing the isle - even where there was a sale!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Great job!!!

I avoided one yesterday! I got home from work, starving. Pizza available, plus I was eyeing all kinds of other crap I could shove in. Total binge mindset. BUT I've been hitting ALL TIME LOW weights lately and I knew I'd hit another this morning (which I did) if I stayed on plan. I grabbed a chicken breast and a string cheese. I told myself to eat the chicken slowly but that I could eat until I was full. I felt satisfied and the binge feeling eased and eventually went away. OMG it's so wonderful when you can find it off. I hate when I let myself get so hungry the binge monster creeps in. It was a total white knuckle moment though, that scares me.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #10  

I hear ya LockItUp! It's amazing what happens when we're tempted or tipped in a binge-direction. While I'm not having a problem binge-eating, I can definitely tell I'm out of sorts emotionally because I jumped in too fast to this all-out work out plan.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it applies in this thread too:

I need help relaxing!!

I feel like I'm losing control already. Back in November, I lost weight simply from paying attention to calories. It took me a while to get that under control, and now that I'm trying to work out and swim in the same week, something's gotta give. I'm not tracking calories, and I missed two workouts and I'm going to use this message to collect my thoughts and figure out why this is happening.

To avoid a rambling message full of anxiety, I shall simply bullet point my worries (as I hyperventilate here to myself):

1. I'm exhausted from the holidays and have not been sleeping enough this week.
2. I am feeling overwhelmed juggling calorie counting, swimming, and strength training.
3. Because I'm overwhelmed, I'm eating more and skipping workouts.

Hmm, I guess that's it, but it's bothering me that I'm not perfect right at the beginning! (Lol, I told you I was full of anxiety.) So, let's think of a better way to pull these goals together:

1. Concentrate on counting calories ONLY for 1 week.
2. Catch up on sleep!
3. Build up to working out 3x and cardio 2x a week. I think a good solution will be this:

- week 1 - 1 day of swimming, 1 day of strength training - calorie counting is the priority
- week 2 - 2 days swimming, 2 strength training - still calorie counting

...and so on.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Where you take too much on, get overwhelmed, and then everything starts to crumble? I've been here before, and it's turned into months of bad choices - I don't want to go back to that.

I'm trying very hard to stay positive right now...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

coffeeshopgirl, I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself. Getting more sleep is obviously a great idea (I'd suggest trying a melatonin supplement if you have a hard time falling asleep. It's worked wonders for me, and they're dirt cheap.)

Maybe try counting calories, but giving yourself some more wiggle room for now? Or try for regular, healthy meals, without counting cals? Worry about cracking down later.

And honestly, I'd say DON'T force yourself to exercise right now. The amount of amount of mental reserves any one person has is limited. It's better, imo, to prevent total burnout (and subsequent bingeing). If you enjoy doing it, then do it, but don't worry about making a schedule for it. I'd take a walk instead, but I'm really big on talking walks, lol.

I've done everything I've listed, and it's been 8 weeks since my last binge. This is pretty much a new record for me!
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

On the way home from working out at the gym today I nearly stopped at the supermarket to get some pizza. When I get their pizza I eat the whole thing at over 800 calories! I wrestled myself and chose not to get it, choosing to eat something yummy at home, that while not so healthy was not so calorific as the pizza.

For me I have found that having some not-so healthy things at home is better than an all-or-nothing mentality. For example, having sugary cereal si a strategy I'm using to avoid getting cookies. If I get cookies, I eat the whole package in one sitting. The cereal will satisfy my craving yet I am certainly not tempted to binge on it.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote